Camera shopping

dunefreak

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Kodak disposable camera that costs $20 at the local gas station, it sucks, somehow someone always loses it and I have to buy another one. Not really, I do have a Kodak, not even sure what kind it is, works pretty well and it takes a lot of dune and riding abuse. No problems with it at all.

Pete -

Like I mentioned in my previous post, if your looking for a camera that is easy to operate, to carry and your not into Pro-shooting than I think this camera is rated really good. Here's just some pro\cons;

Pro

• The camera lets you in certain modes to keep shooting at 1.6 frames/second until your high speed memory card is full.
  • Although the memory card is not on the retail market yet, the camera will take up to a 32Gig Card, which is good for future use.
  • Shot-to-shot delays are minimal. From what I've seen on the comparison charts you'll wait about 1 second before you can take a shot without the flash and 3-5 seconds depending on the size of the shot for flash shots. Again, were talking about a camera that is under $200.00, so I think this is acceptable.
  • ISO (Auto, Hi Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600) Although this is a good range, ISO 50 is the typical low end to allow for less wash-out at lower light, unless you can control your shutter speed, which you can't on this model but again were talking about $175.00 camera here.
  • "Fast Frame Rate" mode available, which lets you shoot 1 minute of 320 x 240 video at 60 frames/second, which is unreal and a great feature. You'll be able to slo-motion all of those Miget Stripper moves in detail slo-mo......

Cons

• The viewfinder isn't really large, but at least it has one. No diopter correction, this would be an issue for me as your not able to see the object in the viewfinder that represents the actual position of your field of view correctly. So it will basicly show a standard view no matter what position your lens is set for. But again, this may not be an issue for you.
  • Lack of manual controls for shutter and aperture. Only two manual controls; one is Long Shutter mode which lets you select one slow shutter speed needed for night or dark shots and the other is custom white balance, which lets you get accurate color. Again, not a huge issue if your not shooting for commerical use, but if your used to controlled enviroments with camera's it wil be a missed function.
  • There's no RAW or TIFF image supported, which I don't understand why Canon would drop that function, but it will limit you with blowing up photo's larger than 8x10, which not many of us do that anyways.
  • Red Eye is an issue with the lower end automatic shutter and framed lens, so you'll need to get a good editor software package to correct this.
  • One Source of Power - Another issue for me as I travel and having additional power sources are good to have. You'll certainly need to purchase a 2nd or third batt to keep you online. But the current rating is about 200 shots per charge, but it will lessen as you use the batt more. If your shooting video, the batt rating is less than 30 min, although it depends on your setup and if your shooting one of multiple shots.

Add-On's

• WP-DC13 underwater case ($170), which lets you take the camera down to 120ft below sea level. As mentioned, a plus for me that it's protected from the sand, dirt and the accidental beer spillage.
  • Your concerns about the weak flash, which this does have, but most mini camera have this issue. But you can add a HF-DC1 external slave flash, there around $100.00. This downside is that you'd need a tripod for the mount and it fires when the onboard flash does, giving you more flash range (9-12ft) and less redeye.

:beercheers:

Edited by Sandpirates2

Pete -

Like I mentioned in my previous post, if your looking for a camera that is easy to operate, to carry and your not into Pro-shooting than I think this camera is rated really good. Here's just some pro\cons;

Pro

• The camera lets you in certain modes to keep shooting at 1.6 frames/second until your high speed memory card is full.
  • Although the memory card is not on the retail market yet, the camera will take up to a 32Gig Card, which is good for future use.
  • Shot-to-shot delays are minimal. From what I've seen on the comparison charts you'll wait about 1 second before you can take a shot without the flash and 3-5 seconds depending on the size of the shot for flash shots. Again, were talking about a camera that is under $200.00, so I think this is acceptable.
  • ISO (Auto, Hi Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600) Although this is a good range, ISO 50 is the typical low end to allow for less wash-out at lower light, unless you can control your shutter speed, which you can't on this model but again were talking about $175.00 camera here.
  • "Fast Frame Rate" mode available, which lets you shoot 1 minute of 320 x 240 video at 60 frames/second, which is unreal and a great feature. You'll be able to slo-motion all of those Miget Stripper moves in detail slo-mo......

Cons

• The viewfinder isn't really large, but at least it has one. No diopter correction, this would be an issue for me as your not able to see the object in the viewfinder that represents the actual position of your field of view correctly. So it will basicly show a standard view no matter what position your lens is set for. But again, this may not be an issue for you.
  • Lack of manual controls for shutter and aperture. Only two manual controls; one is Long Shutter mode which lets you select one slow shutter speed needed for night or dark shots and the other is custom white balance, which lets you get accurate color. Again, not a huge issue if your not shooting for commerical use, but if your used to controlled enviroments with camera's it wil be a missed function.
  • There's no RAW or TIFF image supported, which I don't understand why Canon would drop that function, but it will limit you with blowing up photo's larger than 8x10, which not many of us do that anyways.
  • Red Eye is an issue with the lower end automatic shutter and framed lens, so you'll need to get a good editor software package to correct this.
  • One Source of Power - Another issue for me as I travel and having additional power sources are good to have. You'll certainly need to purchase a 2nd or third batt to keep you online. But the current rating is about 200 shots per charge, but it will lessen as you use the batt more. If your shooting video, the batt rating is less than 30 min, although it depends on your setup and if your shooting one of multiple shots.

Add-On's

• WP-DC13 underwater case ($170), which lets you take the camera down to 120ft below sea level. As mentioned, a plus for me that it's protected from the sand, dirt and the accidental beer spillage.
  • Your concerns about the weak flash, which this does have, but most mini camera have this issue. But you can add a HF-DC1 external slave flash, there around $100.00. This downside is that you'd need a tripod for the mount and it fires when the onboard flash does, giving you more flash range (9-12ft) and less redeye.

:laughoff:

Hey Mike, what camera are you talking about? :laughoff:

Pete-

Over on Glamisdunes.com they were talking about cheap nice cameras. Best Buy is phasing out the Kodak Z712IS. It is a 7.1 MP and a 12x zoom. I picked up 2 for 119.99 each!

So far its worth the money but I haven't taken too many pics with it yet. I will be briniging it out with me this weekend.

But for the money I couldn't pass it up.

If you want one let me know and I can see if they still have them in stock.

Pete-

Over on Glamisdunes.com they were talking about cheap nice cameras. Best Buy is phasing out the Kodak Z712IS. It is a 7.1 MP and a 12x zoom. I picked up 2 for 119.99 each!

So far its worth the money but I haven't taken too many pics with it yet. I will be briniging it out with me this weekend.

But for the money I couldn't pass it up.

If you want one let me know and I can see if they still have them in stock.

Is this the camers?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=Z7...p;ci_sku=Z712IS

if so it looks nice, he for 119.00 I would buy it too.

Edited by mineurbiz

I have a Canon 30d. Its kinda like a paparrazi camera because it can rapid shoot a bunch of frames in a row quickly. All you have to do is try and keep the subject centered in the frame.

post-14-1202791600_thumb.gif

Shoot with a bunch of different lens but really like this 70-200mm lens. The lens does have image stabilization for the action shots.

post-14-1202791689_thumb.jpg

Couple samples

post-14-1202791954_thumb.jpg

post-14-1202792167_thumb.jpg

post-14-1202792211_thumb.jpg

post-14-1202792326_thumb.jpg

post-14-1202792205_thumb.jpg

Rob that camera is badass! It's a tad more than I want to spend though. That and I wouldn't be comfortable throwing that in my pocket on a dune ride.

Its not really portable for just riding around.

If your going out this weekend I can shoot some pics of you jumping your rail.

Hey Mike, what camera are you talking about? :headbang1:

OK, so I forgot to add the camera name, I was going off what Woody had mentioned and it appeared that you were heading the same direction. The Canon SD1000. For the price and what your likely going to use it for, it makes sense.

:fro_smokin: Damn and I thought I was the only one..........drinking I mean.

Edited by Sandpirates2

OK, so I forgot to add the camera name, I was going off what Woody had mentioned and it appeared that you were heading the same direction. The Canon SD1000. For the price and what your likely going to use it for, it makes sense.

:fro_smokin: Damn and I thought I was the only one..........drinking I mean.

oh ok. I thought that MIGHT have been the one you were referring to but I wasn't sure. :headbang1: Thanks Mike. I think I might pick that one up this week so I have it for Dumont this weekend. :dunno:

Pete -

The high end that I use for work is The new 21.1-megapixel, full-frame Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III digital SLR camera. Like the one 80Grit uses this one is in the same family on the upper end. But if you thought your tires were high, you'll have to put forth about $8K for the body, then another $4-5K for the 2 basic lens. I had to acutally go to take a 1 week course at Canon to run this damn thing, but it does turn up some great shots. It's able to process 185mb of data a second with dual processor's. The clarity and color volumes are unreal, and like 80Grit says once it's setup all you do is point and shoot....

post-3623-1202797172_thumb.jpg

post-3623-1202797195_thumb.jpg

My Friends House in Idaho, near Montana

post-3623-1202797254_thumb.jpg

Like I mentioned, at the end of the day, I only shoot Olympus or Canon, its due to their quality and product support. So if you choose the Canon SD 1000, like Woody, I think you'll be happy.

Mike

Edited by Sandpirates2

Pete -

The high end that I use for work is The new 21.1-megapixel, full-frame Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III digital SLR camera. Like the one 80Grit uses this one is in the same family on the upper end. But if you thought your tires were high, you'll have to put forth about $8K for the body, then another $4-5K for the 2 basic lens. I had to acutally go to take a 1 week course at Canon to run this damn thing, but it does turn up some great shots. It's able to process 185mb of data a second with dual processor's. The clarity and color volumes are unreal, and like 80Grit says once it's setup all you do is point and shoot....

post-3623-1202797172_thumb.jpg

post-3623-1202797195_thumb.jpg

My Friends House in Idaho, near Montana

post-3623-1202797254_thumb.jpg

Like I mentioned, at the end of the day, I only shoot Olympus or Canon, its due to their quality and product support. So if your choose the Canon SD 1000, like Woody, I think you'll be happy.

Mike

:beat::laughoff::slap: now thats just stupid talk right there :dunno:

Yeah I am leaning towards that Canon SD1000. :think::headbang1:

:headbang1: Hey it's like everything in life - it has a price......as compared to the money most here have invested in their rails.....I almost fell out when I saw a rail at Dumont that cost $320K my last time out there....talk about Damn....

You'll be happy with the Canon SD1000 - the average cost I think was $175, but I heard from some friends that Staples had them on sale for $149.00. Dont know if the sale is still running. Pick up a second Bat while your at it, and the biggest Gig card you can find....

Mike

:beat: Hey it's like everything in life - it has a price......as compared to the money most here have invested in their rails.....I almost fell out when I saw a rail at Dumont that cost $320K my last time out there....talk about Damn....

Say what? 320 grand???? What rail was THIS and who told you THAT? :slap::think::slap::laughoff: I'll reassure you, I have nowhere near 320 grand in my rail or even 50 for that matter. :dunno::headbang1:

I understand everything has a price. I am willing to pay for qaulity, but I don't need a camera that high in quality. ;)

:dunno: Pete, I didnt mean your rail, but it does look expensive. I know that your looking into the camera, I was showing you that the top end like what 80 Grit was showing, there's always one more out there. Hell I dont use that camera in the sand, I'd be getting my a$$ handed to me trying to explain why it was sand dusted......

As for the $320K rail, there was a guy out there not any of the DDR group, cause I asked him, but his wife and a friend of his while he was doing wheel stands up comp, she was talking about how this guy traded a fairly new 2006 Cessna T182 Turbo Skylane, and for one that is a few years old, its well into $300K plus. When I mentioned this she just smiled and said well it was about $20K more plus the TH, and New F550 he pulled it with. I've not been around rails long enought to know what make or model, but it had a V8 Super-Charged, and was a metalic green with the name G-Spot.

I'd rather had the plane :headbang1: I know, I'll burn in Sand Dune Hell for that comment :think:

Edited by Sandpirates2

OK so I picked up the Canon SD1000 tonight. :lol: I got it for 179.99 and added a Ultra II 2 GB memory card, a 2 year accidental insurance plan, and an accessory kit wihich has an extra battery and a nice leather case. All that for a smidge over 3 bills. Not bad. :D:dunno:

I can't wait to take some good pics of the drags this weekend at Dumont. :think: yiah yiah