Border Patrol Agent Killed

ash

YUMA, Ariz. — A Border Patrol agent trying to stop a vehicle that had illegally entered the U.S. was struck and killed Saturday in southeastern California, agency officials said.

The agent was killed about 20 miles west of Yuma in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area, a spot along the border that is popular with off-road vehicle enthusiasts and frequently used by smugglers.

The agent attempted to impede the vehicle's progress before he was hit, but the Border Patrol did not immediately have more information, said agent Eric Anderson, a spokesman for the agency's Yuma sector.

The name of the agent killed was not immediately released because his family had not been notified.

Witnesses told the Yuma Sun newspaper that agents were chasing a Hummer and a Ford pickup on Interstate 8 when the vehicles turned into the dunes and fled toward Mexico. The agent was trying to place spike strips in their path and was struck by the Hummer, they said.

The Imperial Sand Dunes are the largest dunes in California, extending north of the border for 40 miles and averaging five miles wide.

Thoughts and prayers to the family :praying:

This man left behind a wife and family!!! :lol:

There were 2 vehicles involved. A H2 Hummer and a F-150 Ford. Both made it back to Mexico.

He had 5 years in the service and was 32 years old. People at my station knew him and are shaken up pretty bad over this. He was a model agent and gave his life protecting the border!

f the spike strip lets mount up some 50cals on long travels and stop them with force.....

and of course once they got back to mexico they just drive away. bet some of the bp wanted to cross the border if nothing else just to ID the driver....

very sad news....

It happened in the Buttercup dunes and I am not sure if there were civilians in the area. I know if my partner or myself was in that situation I would have gotten off some shots but I don't know all the facts yet.

It happened in the Buttercup dunes and I am not sure if there were civilians in the area. I know if my partner or myself was in that situation I would have gotten off some shots but I don't know all the facts yet.

BP -

Our hats are off to you guys totally - I agree with the previous comment, they need to equip you guys with the correct tools for stopping these bastards and keeping you guys from having to take chances that given the proper "Tools" and air support, fear would make these jerks think twice about coming across.

If you guys start some kind of fund for the officer, let us know, Im sure most would help......

Mike

If you guys start some kind of fund for the officer, let us know, Im sure most would help......

Mike

That's very kind of you. I will post the info when I get it. That's one good thing about the Patrol. We take care of our own and that family will never be forgotten.

We have a golf tournament every year for 2 of our agents from my station and the money goes to scholarships of the family's choice. And on the day of one of the agents deaths we hike up to the area where he died and take pics and send to his family along with flowers.

Its sad when this happens but the Funeral Procession's are AMAZING!! They are definately something to see. The last one had over 200 vehicles in a single file on the freeway (4 miles long). The helicopters do a missing man flyby, 21 gun salute and taps with a bagpipe.

I personally hope we never do another one again!

have they released the agents name yet?? I have alot of BP friends back home between the yuma and el centro offices.. I just hope its not one of the ones i know!!

Hope those fuggin mexicans rott in a prison cell in tijuana...

Prayers go out to the agents family.. GodSpeed

Mike

That's very kind of you. I will post the info when I get it. That's one good thing about the Patrol. We take care of our own and that family will never be forgotten.

We have a golf tournament every year for 2 of our agents from my station and the money goes to scholarships of the family's choice. And on the day of one of the agents deaths we hike up to the area where he died and take pics and send to his family along with flowers.

Its sad when this happens but the Funeral Procession's are AMAZING!! They are definately something to see. The last one had over 200 vehicles in a single file on the freeway (4 miles long). The helicopters do a missing man flyby, 21 gun salute and taps with a bagpipe.

I personally hope we never do another one again!

WOW!! What a close knit family you all must be! That's awesome but wish it weren't necessary. :lol:

I second that motion!

post-1889-1201071498_thumb.gif to you Tim and your "family" of agents for the dangerous job you all have taken on!!

Here is the letter we all got in our e-mail at work.

The Funeral is today Jan 24th.

It is with extreme sorrow I inform you that the Border Patrol mourns the loss of another member of our family. On Saturday, January 19th, Senior Border Patrol Agent Luis Aguilar, of the Yuma, Arizona Border Patrol Station was murdered while in the performance of his duties.

Agent Aguilar was attempting to deploy a set of tire deflation devices to stop a suspected smuggler who was attempting to evade our agents and escape into Mexico across the Imperial Sand Dunes in the Yuma Sector area. The suspect, driving a Hummer, accelerated his vehicle and intentionally swerved into Agent Aguilar. Agent Aguilar was unable to avoid the oncoming vehicle and was struck by the suspect vehicle. Despite efforts by his fellow agents and responding EMS, he died on the scene as a result of his injuries.

This despicable and cowardly act by the criminal element that is fighting us for control of the border will not go unpunished. An extensive manhunt, involving both the United States and Mexican Government, is underway. We will spare no resources in our effort to identify and bring to justice Agent Aguilar’s murderers.

Agent Luis Aguilar began his career with the Border Patrol when he entered on duty July 21, 2002, as a member of the 519th Session of the Border Patrol Academy. He had been assigned to the Yuma Border Patrol Station since his graduation from the Academy. Agent Aguilar was 32 years old at the time of his death, and he leaves behind a wife and two children. He is also survived by his parents and his brother, Senior Border Patrol Agent Marco Antonio Aguilar, assigned to the Nogales Border Patrol Station in the Tucson Sector.

We honor the sacrifice Agent Luis Aguilar has made in service to our country, and pray that his family be granted strength as they deal with the loss of a husband, father, son, and brother.

they caught him in mexicooooooooooo

The only thing that sucks about him being caught in Mexico is the fact that the Mexican government will not release him to the US unless he is guaranteed not to face capital punishment. You can murder fifty people and as long as you make it to Mexico, you are pretty much safe as they will not extradite someone that will face the death penalty.

An eye for an eye.....

The only thing that sucks about him being caught in Mexico is the fact that the Mexican government will not release him to the US unless he is guaranteed not to face capital punishment. You can murder fifty people and as long as you make it to Mexico, you are pretty much safe as they will not extradite someone that will face the death penalty.

An eye for an eye.....

Sometimes that is better for them. We know they treat their guys very bad in prison over there. We have relations with the Mexico PD and trust me, they are on our side in some instances! When we tell the illegals we are sending them to mexican prison they BEG us to keep them here and send them into our jails where they can have 3 hot meals and a warm place to stay. Plus they tend to get a little bruised up :laughing: on their side of the border in prison if you know what I mean!

Sometimes that is better for them. We know they treat their guys very bad in prison over there. We have relations with the Mexico PD and trust me, they are on our side in some instances! When we tell the illegals we are sending them to mexican prison they BEG us to keep them here and send them into our jails where they can have 3 hot meals and a warm place to stay. Plus they tend to get a little bruised up :freakin_nuts: on their side of the border in prison if you know what I mean!

I never thought of it that way, but hey that will work....