Mechanics

dumontdude10

Another reason being a dealership tech can suck.

The dealership I work at was owned by Chrysler. It has been for sale for 3 years. It was just sold, and we were lucky enough to have 30 days notice of the change of ownership. We are (were) hourly union and have been for years. Now we expect the new owner to oust the union and go flat rate. We lose all the vacation time we have accumulated ( basically start a new job at a different dealer) probable loss of some/all bennies and now may have to snub coworkers that we used to assist on jobs because we won't make time. That sucks! I enjoy fixing cars/trucks. I emphasize FIX! Now I may have to sacrifice a quality job for the sake of the almighty dollar!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason being a dealership tech can suck.

The dealership I work at was owned by Chrysler. It has been for sale for 3 years. It was just sold, and we were lucky enough to have 30 days notice of the change of ownership. We are (were) hourly union and have been for years. Now we expect the new owner to oust the union and go flat rate. We lose all the vacation time we have accumulated ( basically start a new job at a different dealer) probable loss of some/all bennies and now may have to snub coworkers that we used to assist on jobs because we won't make time. That sucks! I enjoy fixing cars/trucks. I emphasize FIX! Now I may have to sacrifice a quality job for the sake of the almighty dollar!

Don't get me wrong but snub is not the word for it you help your co worker out he helps you out when you get in a bind :hello: . just cause you go flat rate does'nt mean the world has ended just adjust and go on . :DDRrocks::assblast:

Don't get me wrong but snub is not the word for it you help your co worker out he helps you out when you get in a bind :assblast: . just cause you go flat rate does'nt mean the world has ended just adjust and go on . :hello::dunno:

exactly.

We help each other all the time at our work and we are all flat rate techs. There's always time.

I have been working flat rate for almost ten years and I have a very little to zero "come-back" rate too. Quality doesn't have to be sacrificed. It's eaither fixed or its not. :DDRrocks: If it comes back, then YOU have to fix it fo free most the time so you will make damn sure it's done right the first time.

I feel the opposite about that. I meet more people that have degrees that don't even use them and make really GOOD money. It takes a good head on your shoulders to get that degree. On the other hand, it takes just as much skill or knowledge (just a different type of skill kinda like "streetsmarts") to make good money without one.

I just don't feel degrees are the answer for everyone. :DDRrocks:

all i can say is

GO TO COLLEDGE AND SHOOT HIGHER

Not ONE "well off" person I know is educated more then highschool drop out. Also, I have Police friends who make 6 figgaz and wake up everyday they work with a smile on their face...

Life is a deck of cards, just like poker, you make it what it is. A determined person will turn mud into gold...

Not ONE "well off" person I know is educated more then highschool drop out. Also, I have Police friends who make 6 figgaz and wake up everyday they work with a smile on their face...

Life is a deck of cards, just like poker, you make it what it is. A determined person will turn mud into gold...

somebody actually did :DDRrocks:

exactly.

We help each other all the time at our work and we are all flat rate techs. There's always time.

I have been working flat rate for almost ten years and I have a very little to zero "come-back" rate too. Quality doesn't have to be sacrificed. It's eaither fixed or its not. :lol: If it comes back, then YOU have to fix it fo free most the time so you will make damn sure it's done right the first time.

Yeah, your right. :lol: I just made a little rant about the situation my dealership is in. Everyone is nervous as hell as no one knows the status of thier employment. :lol:

Yeah, your right. :lol: I just made a little rant about the situation my dealership is in. Everyone is nervous as hell as no one knows the status of thier employment. :lol:

We are a small franchise dealer in barstow, we went from doing 60-90 cars a month to 20-30 the last few months, I work in finance and its horrific.

I went from 11k + a month to $260 in december and about 2k a month so far this year, the banks are getting hit hard with repos so the deals we are getting are a nightmare for me to get financed. It has been a little better this month but its still wayyyy off the mark money wise.

The salefloor is starving and if sales is sucking so is service.

There are dealerships that have been in business 40+ years closing the doors for good, its a scarey time to be in the commision game :lol:

I make pretty decent money for my lifestyle and dont have one of them things... same goes for the wife as well.. :D

Hell my boss roll's around town in a viper and some expensive a$$ lexus and he's a high school dropout! I kinda agree with pete degree's arent for everyone.

Just FYI.... Bill Gates dropped out of college in the 10th month. He's not doin to bad ? In fact with his current income, if he were walking down the street, and saw 500 dollars layin on the ground, and he were to stop and pick it up.... he would be LOSING MONEY. ( cause he makes more in that amount of time.) He has slipped into the number 3 spot for wealthiest person in 2007, but hey he "gettin by" .

There are the folks that become professional students, and go to school for friggin 12 yrs, and end up waiting tables for a living ? Its like pete said in an earlier post street smarts goes a long ways for some. Just for the record the U.S average median household income for 2006 was around $ 48,200 !!! Less than 2% make over 100 grand. Why not make it 3% ? :laughoff:

Edited by MCGYVER

College has been good to me and my wife. We both have degrees. Mine was in medicine. I worked for almost ten years in my field before getting serious about real estate. I was in real estate in las vegas for about 13 years (over lapping my medical background). Now in my mid 30's I fortunate to be doing pretty well and partially retired. Now I a mechanic....LOL. I really enjoy it, I build turbo cars. No I wouldnt be a dealer mechanic, but I do see why, and respect those guys and guys like Dan for what they do more then they know. I ve known very powerful people, and I do no have very high regard for most of them.

My wife has a degree technically in management but with a medical background. She still works in the field and the paper has served her very well. She is the highest paid person in her company in her area. Now she enjoys a lot of time off. So the paper does do some good. Besides, she was my student at thats how we met, so even though I dont work in the field anymore it was still worth it.

Technicians, the good ones.....are very good. Now about 1/2 of what I do is programming efi......the other half, is building engines, building turbo systems and everything else. I ve never been busier, and I dont know why, with the economy sucking. I try everything to get rid of work, defer work to other people etc....

Technicians, the good ones.....are very good. Now about 1/2 of what I do is programming efi......the other half, is building engines, building turbo systems and everything else. I ve never been busier, and I dont know why, with the economy sucking. I try everything to get rid of work, defer work to other people etc....

Jon, you are busy because you are one of few that do what you do (tuning and performance work ) and do it well. I hear your name dropped here and there more than you can imagine. :laughoff::laughoff: