Mechanics

dumontdude10

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working in the automotive industry is just like construction you take the bad with the good. when you make good money put some aside for a rainy day .times aren't going to be always good and when they are the more partying and toys :mc_smiley: :whoop::laughing: oh and did i forget beer :chug: :laughing::bawl:;)

Edited by warrior07

thats wut im talkin bout bro

i got my divers certification too so i know wuts up next time i take a class like that

but i heard its really dangerous

and thats another one of my fears

goin diving and not seeing the bottom

$H!+ goes down underwater

even when im playin supermario and he goes under im like WOOOAAAHHH GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!

but the outside welding is all taken up by alot of the illegals which is why the pay is really low

well when we were all growing up we were always tought that electricity and water dont mix... And i know first hand how a welding in a puddle feels.. So i could imagine welding underwater :P

They get paid HUGE bank.. However average life expectancy of a Tech diver isnt much past 40..

There is always a pretty good demand for technicians these days. Keep in mind that cars and trucks are becoming more and more advanced and complex. The "average technician" is slowly fading. Most techs these days require many different areas of skill and knowledge.

Techs at the dealership I work at make anywhere from ~50K a year up to ~120K a year. It all depends on how skilled and experienced you are, how willing you are to bust azz, organizational skills, etc etc.

Dangers: There's always danger when working with anything mechanical and with chemicals. Job safety is always something that techs must follow religiously. Otherwise there is always the risk of major injury (or even death) if precautions aren't taken. Thats with many jobs out there though. I'd say as long as you are safe, the risk as a tech is rather low.

Benefits?: hmmm :dope: Ya got me on that one. :laughing: Benefits are going to vary depending on where you work. ie: dealership, city or state job, independent shop, etc. At the dealership I work for we get 5 or 6 paid holidays per year, 2 weeks vacation (after 2 yrs employment), and well.... thats about it.

Hope that helped you some. :boyyy:

UMMMMMMMM........ ditto on every word the man just spoke, i have been working at new car dealerships' since i was 17 yrs old ( a couple yrs ago) the last 17 years for the same company, and i have the exact same "benifits" as freak does. sad part is 17 yrs with same company, still ONLY get 10 paid vacation days. (havent worked there long enough to merit anymore apperently) :bawl: :mc_smiley: :whoop: :chug: if u want great benifits and recognition for a job well done .... a car dealership is NOT the answer.... its an honest days work for an honest days beating... just like the slavery days. !!!!! Get a coushy city/state job as a tech for that . Hope i didnt offend at coushy city/state/county wrench type peeps, wanna be "politically correct" :laughing: dunno if that helps, but be cool, stay in school , go into financial services, lord knows this world could use the help !!!!! " keep on dancin or someone will steal your shoes " :boyyy: :dance: :6pak:

Edited by MCGYVER

how bout this

buggy fabricating...forget fixing cars...u get people comin in there tellin u wats wrong and u know they are 100% wrong...y deal with the customer??

u create the car

and u get to test it at the place u love

a little far off but if u work on it itll come into being

but i heard its really dangerous

Yeah I think that might be why the pay is so high... :D

and thats another one of my fears

goin diving and not seeing the bottom

$H!+ goes down underwater

even when im playin supermario and he goes under im like WOOOAAAHHH GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!

I know exactly what you mean there. I grew up in Hawaii where you can see the bottom anywhere you will be swimming. Now, I fall off my jet ski at Lake Mead and I have a panic attack till I get back on!! :laughing: You cant see your friggin TOES in that water!! I dont know how the Service Divers can dive next to the dam where its hundreds of feet deep!! :laughing:

well when we were all growing up we were always tought that electricity and water dont mix... And i know first hand how a welding in a puddle feels.. So i could imagine welding underwater :P

I may be wrong (hey, first time for everything?? :laughing: ) but I believe when welding in salt water (or maybe anytime under water) they use non-electric methods??

However average life expectancy of a Tech diver isnt much past 40..

Did you just make that up?? Dave is this true??

how bout this

buggy fabricating...forget fixing cars...u get people comin in there tellin u wats wrong and u know they are 100% wrong...y deal with the customer??

u create the car

and u get to test it at the place u love

a little far off but if u work on it itll come into being

Yeah...um...have you checked the market for that lately? :laughing::laughing: There are soooo many buggy builders clsoing there doors due to the economy and so much competition between all the different builders. It's almost impossible to compete with the big sandrail companies these days.

Thought I'd throw in my :laughing:

My younger brother works for Shell International Oil. He's been a Commerical Deep Certified Welder and Construction Diver for almost 18 years. He's worked around the world as that's where the work is at. Locally off-shore around the US the money is about $60-85K a year, but your only working 3-4 days a week. Out of the country, he makes $85-120K a year, but the living conditions and the work is hell from what he tells me. He's 38 and is considered an "Old Man" in the field as most of the divers are 24-35 and your body just gives up. He suffers from bone density issues now and joint problems from breathing all the tri-gas mixes for the extended periods. Yes the welding pays good bucks, but he says you really never get used to the feeling of being lit up as he calls it when the power comes up to weld.... He's getting out of the craft and going to back to school to finish up his masters program in finance and go back to work for Shell making $75-80K a year to start. It will take him about 18 months to finish his program fulltime. He says that after he's been there for 3-4 years his buddies in Shell who are in finance said he's be well into $95 plus.

As for what your looking for all I can tell you is in my field, Tech's get all of the work that is long hours, being pushed by a bean counter looking for more ways to shorten your check and to make more $$ for the company. Like mentioned in previous notes, stay in school, get your Under Grad at a minimum, stay out of Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Drafting (I'm a Electronics Engineer)....my company (Disney) has tons of them and they dont pay beyond $45-80K for the top guys after 15-20 years in the business (India and China are pumping them out into the US economy by the thousands each year) There's an exception, but you have to have your PE certification to sign-off on drawings, those few guys make $65-90K, but thats it. The guys in big companies that make good money are either in Finance or Programming. Application programmers like SAP, or finance like applications out of school are making $75-85 to start, and go up to well into $150K a year, and work for 3-4 days a week and mostly at home, but thats when you've got some time behind you 5-10 years. Finance guys are the ones who are picked to run companies where the bonuses and stock options can be excellent. The field that Im in pays very well, but it's difficult to get into, and that's Production Communications Broadcasting and Networking Systems. Again, it calls for a Graduate Program and 3 or 4 additional certifications, plus time in the field to gain experience. But I hire people from grad school with no little more than intern programs for $65-75K to start, 2 weeks vacation1st year plus 11 holidays and 6 floaters, plus medical but they work a lot of hours when they first start. It's salary so working 60-75 hours a week is typical until you get time. My guys with 10-15 years who still work 50-60 hours a week make well into $120-160K, but they have a ton of background from the military or larger production broadcast companies with an engineering communications background and programming. I've got a job posted on this web site for a Citrix Systems Administrator which requires an Under-Grad program and 3-5 years experience starts at $80K. Citrix is not a difficult system to learn, but its just an example of somebody with low time and a program background.

Good Luck on your search for a career. :laughing:

Edited by Sandpirates2

dumontdude, if you are thinking of becoming a tech....do yourself a favor....DON'T. I wouldn't recommend it. I have made a pretty decent living from it so far, but I'd still choose to do something different if I could do it all over again.

I felt the same way after being a support equipment mechanic in the Air Force for 4 years. It took me a while....but I think I got away from turning a wrench for a living.

Get a coushy city/state job as a tech for that . Hope i didnt offend at coushy city/state/county wrench type peeps, wanna be "politically correct" :laughing:

An Automotive tech level II at Clark County currently tops out at $66,000 a year. Next July 1 it will be at $68,000.....until our current contract runs out on at June 2010.

:mc_smiley: :bawl::laughing:

GO TO COLLEDGE AND SHOOT HIGHER

OWN THE DEALERSHIP!

SO YOU CAN BE A BIG BALLER !!

im not knocking trades but hey. im sure others would agree. this day and age you need a degree.

i worked as a mechanic when i was younger ( they wern't so sophisticated then ) learn it if you love it and use it as a weekend fun thing . Shoot higher so you can work on a fleet of your own exotic cars just cause you feel like it.

and that way you can throw elaborite get togethers and invite us :laughing:

Edited by barefoot bob

I take it you din't go bob....................................

i didnt go enough and i wish i had ............................................................

nothing is ever garunteed but theres more oppertunity with a degree in the right fields to make lots o money !!!!

Quick thing.

Make sure you're doing something you like.

My best freind and I went, he stayed in his field (accountant) and I pretty much tossed my degree (computer programming) to the wayside to do something where I actually liked going to work.

20 years later, he hates his job, I still enjoy mine, and we make the same amount of money.

If you're not happy in your job it will reflect on your home life and everything else you do.

I know exactly what you mean there. I grew up in Hawaii where you can see the bottom anywhere you will be swimming. Now, I fall off my jet ski at Lake Mead and I have a panic attack till I get back on!! :flipoff: You cant see your friggin TOES in that water!! I dont know how the Service Divers can dive next to the dam where its hundreds of feet deep!! :bs:

TOTALLY DUDE

when i fall off my stand up i think back to waterworld when that creature comes up and eats costner

WOOOAAHHH GET ME BACK ON!!

and id have to agree with the fact that the buggy business is goin down

how bout maybe buggy repair.

i took autoshop last semester

the teacher sucked so i didnt really get into it

but there was something about the motor that caught my eye

ive worked on my dads buggy pullin the cylinders all out and then when i open up the hood of my chevy its like how do i get to the spark plugs with all this $h!+ in my way

buggys are more open makin it easier to get to stuff

thats what opened me up to the mechanic field but with all this new garbage theyre puttin in the cars like wiper sensers and refirgerators and all that bs...its just not the same anymore

If you get a job as a mechanic you are not going to want to work on your own sh!t at the end of the day. You will be sick of working on stuff and end up letting it go to hell or paying some one to do it.

I agree a lot with what has been stated.......Pick something that you think you will enjoy. Get the education that that field requires. I went to college long enough to be an effin Dr. and I drive a semi, something TOTALLY unrelated to what I went to school for. You have to enjoy your career, you will be doing it for at least 25-30 years. Dont let anything be a dream killer for you. The most important advise I could give you would be.....You pick your career, don't let your job pick you!!!! C, I'm not always a d*ck!!! :bs:

I agree a lot with what has been stated.......Pick something that you think you will enjoy. Get the education that that field requires. I went to college long enough to be an effin Dr. and I drive a semi, something TOTALLY unrelated to what I went to school for. You have to enjoy your career, you will be doing it for at least 25-30 years. Dont let anything be a dream killer for you. The most important advise I could give you would be.....You pick your career, don't let your job pick you!!!! C, I'm not always a d*ck!!! :flipoff:

yes you are !!!

my mother kept telling me that I was going to be in the Medical field , and I'll be damned if I don't do sugery on these eefing bikes every day !! the only thing I may like more ? being a gigolo [sp] ? :bs:

Edited by powerhouse

:clap::slap::loser:

GO TO COLLEDGE AND SHOOT HIGHER

OWN THE DEALERSHIP!

SO YOU CAN BE A BIG BALLER !!

im not knocking trades but hey. im sure others would agree. this day and age you need a degree.

i worked as a mechanic when i was younger ( they wern't so sophisticated then ) learn it if you love it and use it as a weekend fun thing . Shoot higher so you can work on a fleet of your own exotic cars just cause you feel like it.

and that way you can throw elaborite get togethers and invite us :bs:

I feel the opposite about that. I meet more people that have degrees that don't even use them and make really GOOD money. It takes a good head on your shoulders to get that degree. On the other hand, it takes just as much skill or knowledge (just a different type of skill kinda like "streetsmarts") to make good money without one.

I just don't feel degrees are the answer for everyone. :flipoff:

I feel the opposite about that. I meet more people that have degrees that don't even use them and make really GOOD money. It takes a good head on your shoulders to get that degree. On the other hand, it takes just as much skill or knowledge (just a different type of skill kinda like "streetsmarts") to make good money without one.

I just don't feel degrees are the answer for everyone. :DDRrocks:

I make pretty decent money for my lifestyle and dont have one of them things... same goes for the wife as well.. :D

Hell my boss roll's around town in a viper and some expensive a$$ lexus and he's a high school dropout! I kinda agree with pete degree's arent for everyone.

I know exactly what you mean there. I grew up in Hawaii where you can see the bottom anywhere you will be swimming. Now, I fall off my jet ski at Lake Mead and I have a panic attack till I get back on!! :hello: You cant see your friggin TOES in that water!! I dont know how the Service Divers can dive next to the dam where its hundreds of feet deep!! :DDRrocks:

Dubbed Lake Full of Muck for a reason.

Eli