Mechanics

dumontdude10

I'm doing a project on what my future job is going to be and I picked mechanic. The questions are what is the yearly pay. So i was wanting to ask u guys what is an estimate of what u guys make, what are the duties of the job, what the job market, and what is the "danger, risks, and benefits??" :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best techs at our dealership make around 40k a year, I did mechanical engineering in college and did my work experience as a tech.

I worked as a mechanic for 4 years before I became a salesman, im nowin finance. If you want to make decent money being a tech is not the way to go (unless you get really lucky and work at an awsome dealership)

The best techs at our dealership make around 40k a year, I did mechanical engineering in college and did my work experience as a tech.

I worked as a mechanic for 4 years before I became a salesman, im nowin finance. If you want to make decent money being a tech is not the way to go (unless you get really lucky and work at an awsome dealership)

:lol:

I'm doing a project on what my future job is going to be and I picked mechanic.

You will make more money selling Beanie Babies on eBay...

I heard theres tons of money in over seas partnerships in Africa bringing loads of cash over from dead millionaires. I got 14 emails today and they all want to share their cash with me!!! :lol:

There is always a pretty good demand for technicians these days. Keep in mind that cars and trucks are becoming more and more advanced and complex. The "average technician" is slowly fading. Most techs these days require many different areas of skill and knowledge.

Techs at the dealership I work at make anywhere from ~50K a year up to ~120K a year. It all depends on how skilled and experienced you are, how willing you are to bust azz, organizational skills, etc etc.

Dangers: There's always danger when working with anything mechanical and with chemicals. Job safety is always something that techs must follow religiously. Otherwise there is always the risk of major injury (or even death) if precautions aren't taken. Thats with many jobs out there though. I'd say as long as you are safe, the risk as a tech is rather low.

Benefits?: hmmm :lol: Ya got me on that one. :lol: Benefits are going to vary depending on where you work. ie: dealership, city or state job, independent shop, etc. At the dealership I work for we get 5 or 6 paid holidays per year, 2 weeks vacation (after 2 yrs employment), and well.... thats about it.

Hope that helped you some. :lol:

Techs at the dealership I work at make anywhere from ~50K a year up to ~120K a year. It all depends on how skilled and experienced you are, how willing you are to bust azz, organizational skills, etc etc.

120-K :lol: I wish I made that much!

120-K :lol: I wish I made that much!

You have gotta get really lucky and be a bad a$$ tech to make that at a dealership, up untill 3 months ago all you had to do was get a sales lic to make that on the showroom floor.....

Edited by britincali

its fun to hang around the shop and hell i wouldnt mind doing it.. but from someone just bystanding and having half a brain it amazes me how fast these guys work.. Then i guess if you do work on anything for a certain amount of time your bound to find the shortcuts and fast ways thru it..

dumontdude, if you are thinking of becoming a tech....do yourself a favor....DON'T. I wouldn't recommend it. I have made a pretty decent living from it so far, but I'd still choose to do something different if I could do it all over again.

Its a high tech world in the "mechanic" area. I hate being called that. Nowadays thats like a put down. Technician is the name. With all the computer controlled "everything" on cars and trucks, diagnosing a mechanical problem can be very difficult because the computers can make adjustments to make an ailing engine run better. The changes that have happened in the last 20 years, just like your PC, a 2003 car has half the technology of an 06. Keeping up is a pain.

My bro is currently working at La Verne Ford and is hating life. He's been in the industry for 20 years and he says he's never seen it slower.

I think he was making around 70-80k a year doing front ends, brake jobs, and lately, more and more lift kits on brand new trucks off the floor.

I know he is desperately looking for another job. He can't pay his bills only getting 20-30 hours a paycheck.

Good Luck

I'm doing a project on what my future job is going to be and I picked mechanic. The questions are what is the yearly pay. So i was wanting to ask u guys what is an estimate of what u guys make, what are the duties of the job, what the job market, and what is the "danger, risks, and benefits??" :lol::lol::lol:

DUDE CAREER DEVELOPMENT!!!!

im takin that class and that was last weeks assignment for me

i chose mechanical engineer cause its a wide variety of stuff

DUDE CAREER DEVELOPMENT!!!!

im takin that class and that was last weeks assignment for me

i chose mechanical engineer cause its a wide variety of stuff

i was given a couple websites to find the total salary

i chose welding at first and it was like 50 Gs tops

im all about the 6 digits

i chose welding at first and it was like 50 Gs tops

im all about the 6 digits

Um, maybe you should look up "under water" welding, specifically oil rigs. Then come back and tell me 50K max... :D

Tech diver/welders make 4 figures/HOUR in certain circumstances!! :lol:

Um, maybe you should look up "under water" welding, specifically oil rigs. Then come back and tell me 50K max... :D

Tech diver/welders make 4 figures/HOUR in certain circumstances!! :lol:

thats wut im talkin bout bro

i got my divers certification too so i know wuts up next time i take a class like that

but i heard its really dangerous

and thats another one of my fears

goin diving and not seeing the bottom

$H!+ goes down underwater

even when im playin supermario and he goes under im like WOOOAAAHHH GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!

but the outside welding is all taken up by alot of the illegals which is why the pay is really low