Filming at Dumont

~JILL~

Over this last weekend they had a film crew out there with a helicopter buzzing around with some guy hanging out the side looked like he was filming something. Then over in front of the big dune there was a big Red Bull canopy set up in the middle of a camp, they even had what looked like a massage table set up under it. Set off to the North of their camp they had some reflectors set up around a guy as they were filming him. The helicopter was parked over by their camp too, it had it's little windshield cover strapped on like it was tucked in for the night.

Next there were a few Army, Air Force vehicles parked around the camp hosts RV, looked like older model vehicles. Friday we saw some semi's w/ flat beds loaded with vehicles and again Saturday night 2 more semis with some type of equipment, including man lifts. Just curious as to whats up. Anybody know?

Edited by BALL-N-CHAIN

I know theres a show on fuel called "the great ride open" and a bunch of freestyle mx guys hit up a different ride spot ech week and they always have a big red bull truck and tent out there with them...+ a chopper...but i dont know about the military stuff..

Took this pic sunday morning. The blue helicopter was flying around and you can see the army vehicles parked by #12 bathroom

There was a bunch more movie vehicles heading in from Baker sunday at noon. Will probably be shooting this week.

post-14-1206976601_thumb.jpg

there is a bunch of army trucks here also with the crew. maybe they are shooting a army movie? my and my bud are going to scoot over there later and see whats up. :)

Don't make me come over there!! :laughoff:

We saw the helicopter Saturday, flying really low at times, actually below the tops of the surrounding dunes. I couldn't see if there was a camera onboard or not. Certainly not one of the gyro-stabilized ones that are used in movies and TV news. Later I saw it parked and tarped by the Red Bull tent. FWIW it's a Robinson R44, small four-seater.

As we were leaving Saturday night we passed a convoy of flatbeds with Hummers and lights, headed up the 127. I guessed movie shoot, but I don't think it's related to the Red Bull guys.

they are filming in the middle of the dunes right now. one of the big army trucks is stuck, or should i say buried. I asked 2 people who were working on the set what they were shooting, with both of them i got a real quick, "I dont dont even know".

I will keep trying. heh

ok finally got someone to talk. lol the guy said they were filming "Land of the lost". Or maybe it was "Land of the loss". Anyways, from what I can tell they are not as impressed with my new exhaust as I am. :laughoff:

ok finally got someone to talk. lol the guy said they were filming "Land of the lost". Or maybe it was "Land of the loss". Anyways, from what I can tell they are not as impressed with my new exhaust as I am. :rolleyes:

:coocoo::laughoff:

How long are you gonna be out there Red?

We saw the helicopter Saturday, flying really low at times, actually below the tops of the surrounding dunes. I couldn't see if there was a camera onboard or not. Certainly not one of the gyro-stabilized ones that are used in movies and TV news. Later I saw it parked and tarped by the Red Bull tent. FWIW it's a Robinson R44, small four-seater.

Still a lot of side camera mounts around and the producers are always looking to save a dime. It don't have to be a dome to be a gyro like the news copters. Even one guy in a vest can have gyro's. Take the door off, strap him in and take off.

The Robinson has got to be cheaper but there is no such thing in the helicopter business as cheap. Do you know what the Robinson burns for fuel? Pump gas? What's the range on that thing? Seems to me if they flew it there they got to be refueling on-site. A Long Ranger = tanker truck with fuel from Vegas, mucho $$$ or limited filming time over the dunes.

My b*tch about helicopters is I NEVER got to go because of their limited fuel and payload. I did my thing and waited for it to come back. Now jets that's another matter. Of course now chained to a desk I don't get out much but I'm thinking a movie, the film guy, the RZR, and a couple of union stickers equals an excuse to dune.

Nah...better not. Better to keep a certain management owned sand car wondering which RZR contains a union rep otherwise I'll be picking sand out of my teeth and to return the favor I don't need to advertise.

Eli

Still a lot of side camera mounts around and the producers are always looking to save a dime. It don't have to be a dome to be a gyro like the news copters. Even one guy in a vest can have gyro's. Take the door off, strap him in and take off.

The Robinson has got to be cheaper but there is no such thing in the helicopter business as cheap. Do you know what the Robinson burns for fuel? Pump gas? What's the range on that thing? Seems to me if they flew it there they got to be refueling on-site. A Long Ranger = tanker truck with fuel from Vegas, mucho $$$ or limited filming time over the dunes.

My b*tch about helicopters is I NEVER got to go because of their limited fuel and payload. I did my thing and waited for it to come back. Now jets that's another matter. Of course now chained to a desk I don't get out much but I'm thinking a movie, the film guy, the RZR, and a couple of union stickers equals an excuse to dune.

Nah...better not. Better to keep a certain management owned sand car wondering which RZR contains a union rep otherwise I'll be picking sand out of my teeth and to return the favor I don't need to advertise.

Eli

I think the Robinsons burn 110 lo-lead. Air-cooled, carbureted, horizontally-opposed 4-cylinder (in the R22)... sound familiar? :laughing: A flying VeeDub will be a lot cheaper than a turbine, anyday.

As for cameras, when I saw it all the doors were closed. So I'm guessing maybe they were either scouting locations or practicing moves. Or maybe just playing... God knows I'd use any excuse I could (and have :bawl: ) to get some dune time in...

I used to do aerial camera in LA, Wescam systems in an Astar for KCOP. One helluva lot better than hanging out the door on a harness, which I've also done once or twice...

Eli

That is a R-44. They generally rent for around $400/hr and hold just over 48gal of fuel with a 3-4hrs of flight time and range of 377nm

We went out specifically to check it out. The helecoptor was there to film "a day in the dirt" for fuel tv / red bull. Robbie Reynard and a few other talents were there. There was also a young lady airing it out bigtime with them.

As far as the old trucks lined up???

I think the Robinsons burn 110 lo-lead. Air-cooled, carbureted, horizontally-opposed 4-cylinder (in the R22)... sound familiar? :beercheers: A flying VeeDub will be a lot cheaper than a turbine, anyday.

The last Dumont aerial project I was working on never left the ground. Fueling a turbine with a truck and driver broke the budget. That's why the Robinson caught my interest. A flying VeeDub is better than no flying at all :MBdance: but don't tell that to the folks above the line. You might have to hang out the door.

Eli