will ferrell at dumont

superdave

We just got back today from a 6 day trip today! They are filming a movie call "Land of the Lost" remember the old TV show. Will Ferrell and Brendon Frazier are a couple of the stars out at the dunes for the next few days. We actually were told to move while out watching them film, I guess we were in there shot. Around 5:00pm yesterday they were finishing up filming for the day so we went down to the set and caught a glimpse and confirmed it was Will Ferrell. Not really a person who gets star struck but it was cool to see them filming at the dunes!!!

MXfireman

2 wheels 4 life

We stopped by the set on Monday to see what was going on too. We asked if we could hang out and watch and they told us as long as we're not in the shot, we could stay. So we spent our time between rides watching them film.

CIMG0173.JPG

CIMG0177.JPG

We just got back today from a 6 day trip today! They are filming a movie call "Land of the Lost" remember the old TV show. Will Ferrell and Brendon Frazier are a couple of the stars out at the dunes for the next few days. We actually were told to move while out watching them film, I guess we were in there shot. Around 5:00pm yesterday they were finishing up filming for the day so we went down to the set and caught a glimpse and confirmed it was Will Ferrell. Not really a person who gets star struck but it was cool to see them filming at the dunes!!!

MXfireman

2 wheels 4 life

geez. hollywood is keying on all the stupid sh*t us old farts watched back in the day. wonder what the sleestacks will look like. i heard they made a speed racer movie too. :banghead:

Edited by superdave

cool!

i wonder what the movie sets have to pay to use Dumont, or public land for that matter, to film?

Before asking that question you donate or you might not like the answer. A lower than low budget I worked on in the area donated 10k. Kind of p**sed me off...my paycheck bounced but the BLM got paid. Don't know what it was to low fly Death Valley another time but I doubt that ever happens again at any price. On a Grade B I did special effects for they keep changing the schedule, calling fire inspector at the last second and trying to pull permits an hour before the shoot. It was a not good idea to p**s off the Las Vegas Fire Department.

The last effect we did was a small burn just off the airport. In this case by small I mean smaller than most campfires at Dumont before someone thows gas on it to get it really started. In addition to all the normal stuff we had two private trucks that looked like repainted Forest Service Fire Fighting rigs. One with 300 gallons of water the other with 450. Remember this is about two minutes if that from a fire station with enough foam to cover a 747. The inspector required an Engine and off-duty engine company who laid hose to the nearest fire plug about a football field away. Welcome to Las Vegas....the plug was dry. After much discussion we did the shot anyway.

Later I asked one of the fire fighters what he thought laying hose to a dry plug and he said. "What you do you think? First I get overtime to be here, then they pay me to lay this line, then they pay me to put it back in the truck, then they pay me to take it back to the station and wash it. All told I'm gonna make a house payment tonight and I got me a nice house. You all come back anytime."

Then there were the four off-duty firefighters manning four water canon in a tent with a sprinker system six nights a week but that's another story.

What it costs is directly related to the government offical you p**s off.

Eli

That's pretty cool. It'll be neat to see Dumont in a movie. :coffee:

I wonder if there's any interest in making a new category on ddr about movies filmed at dumont. A few come to mind without thinking much.....The hulk...Hidalgo...Another 48 hours.

geez. hollywood is keying on all the stupid sh*t us old farts watched back in the day. wonder what the sleestacks will look like. i heard they made a speed racer movie too. :6pak:

I was thinking the same thing!! :coffee:

post-475-1207233367_thumb.gif

I saw the preview for speed racer the other day on a movie I rented.....I think. :dunno:

my pops was coming back from a delivery to vegas the other day and decided to go the back way through pahrump and down by dumont and sure enough there was a circle of guys out by the road and will ferrel was standing in the center about 5 inches taller than everybody else!

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if there's any interest in making a new category on ddr about movies filmed at dumont. A few come to mind without thinking much.....The hulk...Hidalgo...Another 48 hours.

......heres a link to the youtube filmed a couple months ago about ww2 desert warfare book called killing rommel.....im told there are 3 videos if you google .them

I think a thread just for it would be kinda cool, but an entire category? nah.

Start one, Randy. :D We could list all the movies there with links and what not. :laughoff: