Hot Water Heater

desertskyz

My hot water heater just went out today,but I do have a home warranty, but I have heard they will tell you it has to be earthquake proofed to install or it won't be in code and they will do it for and extra $$$$$$. :censored: Does anyone know what the codes are in Henderson.

Could I earthquake proof it before they get here? WTF :freakin_nuts:

My hot water heater just went out today,but I do have a home warranty, but I have heard they will tell you it has to be earthquake proofed to install or it won't be in code and they will do it for and extra $$$$$$. :censored: Does anyone know what the codes are in Henderson.

Could I earthquake proof it before they get here? WTF :freakin_nuts:

Usually "earthquake proof" means it has to have a strap securing it to the wall. You can pick one up at Home Depot and secure it yourself. It's real simple.

:drunk: Who's trying to Heat Hot Water??? :blah:

Just messin' Dezzzz. I just think the terminology is a crack-up. :lol:

Good luck with the strap(s), and the home warranty too.

I tried using my home warranty a couple times and they seem to find a loophole everytime. :thumb:

Just make sure you get the lags bolts securely into studs. :barf:

:freakin_nuts:

Codes vary by municipality and/or state, but like Britincali said CA code is two straps. Also the water heater has to be at least 18" above-grade, and the T&P and drain valves have to be piped to the outside if the installation is inside the house (other than the garage). Also, a permit from the city may be required (I had to get one). Basically, it's a PITA.

BTW your warranty co. likely will not cover the costs to bring the installation up to code, mine didn't. I wound up just buying a water heater and installing it myself. They reimbursed me for their calculation of the "cost of replacement," which was about half of what it actually cost. IIRC my total bill (minus beer for my neighbor the plumber) was around $1000, and the insurance kicked me a little under $600.

The other problem I had was arguing with them about what was required for code compliance and what wasn't. I live in Ventura County, where the building codes are less restrictive than in LA (where the company is based). So their estimator quoted me almost $1000 worth of work that I didn't need to do... Example: the %$%#$ tried to charge me $600 for a water-heater stand. Solution: Home Depot, 1 water-heater stand, $40.

The thing that sucks is, when your water heater goes out they kinda have you over a barrel. Luckily I store my moho in my driveway, so we had hot water for the three or four days the whole process took.

Good luck, I feel your pain....

Edit: Randog.... "hot water heater..." :freakin_nuts:

Edited by Noozeyeguy

Codes vary by municipality and/or state, but like Britincali said CA code is two straps. Also the water heater has to be at least 18" above-grade, and the T&P and drain valves have to be piped to the outside if the installation is inside the house (other than the garage). Also, a permit from the city may be required (I had to get one). Basically, it's a PITA.

BTW your warranty co. likely will not cover the costs to bring the installation up to code, mine didn't. I wound up just buying a water heater and installing it myself. They reimbursed me for their calculation of the "cost of replacement," which was about half of what it actually cost. IIRC my total bill (minus beer for my neighbor the plumber) was around $1000, and the insurance kicked me a little under $600.

The other problem I had was arguing with them about what was required for code compliance and what wasn't. I live in Ventura County, where the building codes are less restrictive than in LA (where the company is based). So their estimator quoted me almost $1000 worth of work that I didn't need to do... Example: the %$%#$ tried to charge me $600 for a water-heater stand. Solution: Home Depot, 1 water-heater stand, $40.

The thing that sucks is, when your water heater goes out they kinda have you over a barrel. Luckily I store my moho in my driveway, so we had hot water for the three or four days the whole process took.

Good luck, I feel your pain....

Edit: Randog.... "hot water heater..." :lol:

^

^

^

Ended up going to plan B. And they are going to send me 300 so I have ended up paying about 160 over all. Still a rip-off since i have been paying them 500 a year for 4 years. :freakin_nuts: American Home Shield.

GIRLS: putting in a water heater is not hard. Just need a couple of wrenches, pipe dope and someone to help you lift the damn thing up on the stand.

Edited by desertskyz

^

^

^

Ended up going to plan B. And they are going to send me 300 so I have ended up paying about 160 over all. Still a rip-off since i have been paying them 500 a year for 4 years. :argue: American Home Shield.

GIRLS: putting in a water heater is not hard. Just need a couple of wrenches, pipe dope and someone to help you lift the damn thing up on the stand.

My mom uses american home shield and has never had to pay for something like that... Just the 35 or 50 deductible for them to come out and do the work.. Why did they charge you? Did they even come out to inspect it to see if it was doable before you went to plan b? 20 bucks says they probably would have done it not said anything and been on their merry way.. Plumbers dont give a sh*t as long as they get paid.

It says in my AHS booklet that they are NOT responsible of disposal, upgrade, permits, etc. All licensed contractor have to pull a permit. So with that said here is the brake down. Total rip off:

Permit: $105.00 City of Henderson permit: $45.00

Tap valve: $75.00 I don't know what that is

Gas Sediment trap removal:$185.00 City of Henderson rate $50.00 - $75.00

Earthquake straps: $20.00 Lowes $15.97. I had my own but would have to use theirs.

Service Fee: $55.00

Total: $440.00

Me doing it myself.

Water heater and stand: 381.40

New gas line: $30.15

Service fee I had to pay anyway: 55.00

Total: $466.55 not including gas running around getting the crap and beer.

- $300.00 a check they are sending me for doing it my self.

My total $166.55

I wonder how much it would cost to have them replace the AC. :argue: :headbang1::rockwoot:

I'm a plumbing contractor for most of these insurance co. Your deductible should be around $55.00. A plumber get's paid only $100.00 to install your heater. So we bill the insurance co. Out $45.00. So $100.00 dallors is not a lot for money to install a water heater. That's why they are trying to find things that are not up too code. Because the COD rate is hire than the insurance rate. The plumbing contractors are just trying to make some more $ on a service call. You can ask for a cash out only. I think a cash out for a 40 gallon is $500.00 and a50 is $600.00. good luck :argue:

AHS sucks!! we HAD them on our new house and the water heater took a dump too. $55 service call. Told we had to update the gas lines to code, needs a drip pan incase of leak, new stand to get it off floor incase of gas leak, earthquake straps here in CA too.

All said and done it was over $600, but we did opt for the 75 gallon tank and the was only a $100 upgrade.

We had our Heater in the attic replaced too and that was an absolute horror story as well to deal with them on that. Everything they said had to be done I found out it didn't need and then they said we had asbestos and needed that removed before going further. The company's they use are all crooks and just try to upsell and make a profit. I took the cashout and lost money before giving my money to them again. Had my friend do my heater replacement and install a 4 ton Carrier A/C unit as well. Now we are sitting pretty in the cool house with it over 100 outside.

EFF AHS!!!!! :argue:

AHS sucks!! we HAD them on our new house and the water heater took a dump too. $55 service call. Told we had to update the gas lines to code, needs a drip pan incase of leak, new stand to get it off floor incase of gas leak, earthquake straps here in CA too.

All said and done it was over $600, but we did opt for the 75 gallon tank and the was only a $100 upgrade.

We had our Heater in the attic replaced too and that was an absolute horror story as well to deal with them on that. Everything they said had to be done I found out it didn't need and then they said we had asbestos and needed that removed before going further. The company's they use are all crooks and just try to upsell and make a profit. I took the cashout and lost money before giving my money to them again. Had my friend do my heater replacement and install a 4 ton Carrier A/C unit as well. Now we are sitting pretty in the cool house with it over 100 outside.

EFF AHS!!!!! :black:

Just got a call from AHS yesterday. They are not going to send me $300 after all. He told me that their replacement cost is $234.00. I'm like WHAT! :peek: Then I proceeded to give him a piece of my mind. :assblast: And ended the conversation by saying, "If you keep ripping people of like this the nhow the hell do you expect people to renew their contract with you." His reply, " you pay car and house insurance and don't use it but renew it it every year." :broke::idea::MBdance: Anyway.

:thumb: AHS you will never see a dime of my money ever again. :beat:

Edited by desertskyz

Anyway.:peek: AHS you will never see a dime of my money ever again. :thumb:

I had AHS when I got a hidden water leak the plumber said I had a slab leak before he even got in the door. I asked him how he knew because he hadn't done jack to check it out. He said he had 25 years experience and knew these things. When I checked he had neither business or a contractors number.

It turned out to be the leak in the front yard between the meter and the house. I rented a trencher put in copper pipe instead of the cheap plastic tubing they used in this area. Problem solved without going to a hotel for a week like this guy wanted.

BTW the wife normally plumbs at our house cause I break more than I fix but anything is better than AHS.

Never saw a dime from me again

Eli

I had same experience with electrical problems, had an electrician come out found problems in the wall. They said it was a pre-existing condition .. NOT COVERED..... hired same electrician on the side and he fixed $600 plus Chris (ringleader) fixing the wall.

BTW if you EVER need a wall fixed and re-textured and you cant tell at ALL after he is done. The best I have ever seen call Ringleader aka Danielle's husband.... :D :peek: :thumb:

I had same experience with electrical problems, had an electrician come out found problems in the wall. They said it was a pre-existing condition .. NOT COVERED..... hired same electrician on the side and he fixed $600 plus Chris (ringleader) fixing the wall.

BTW if you EVER need a wall fixed and re-textured and you cant tell at ALL after he is done. The best I have ever seen call Ringleader aka Danielle's husband.... :D :peek: :thumb:

Heck yeah! I have a dog door in the side of my wall that needs to be taken out and wall put back it. Thanks for FYI

When I first moved in I had AHS as my home warranty company, I always make buddy buddy and offer beers to techs that come out (it works and sometimes you end up having a good drinking session) this is a list of stuff I got from AHS all with a $45 deductable

1. New water heater

2. New fridge

3. New stovetop

4. New pool pump

5. New $5k pool heater

6. New pool DE filter

7. New oven

8. New garbage disposal

All in all probably $13k worth of stuff for under $500, I dint renew my warr after the first year as they had already replaced everything expensive :thumb: .

It really pays to get friendly with the repairmen as most of them want bigger jobs that pay more, plus they do all the leg work for you :peek:

Heck yeah! I have a dog door in the side of my wall that needs to be taken out and wall put back it. Thanks for FYI

He's done two different houses for me. Excellent job each time!! Plus u keep it in the DDR family :beer_bang:

When I first moved in I had AHS as my home warranty company, I always make buddy buddy and offer beers to techs that come out (it works and sometimes you end up having a good drinking session) this is a list of stuff I got from AHS all with a $45 deductable

1. New water heater

2. New fridge

3. New stovetop

4. New pool pump

5. New $5k pool heater

6. New pool DE filter

7. New oven

8. New garbage disposal

All in all probably $13k worth of stuff for under $500, I dint renew my warr after the first year as they had already replaced everything expensive :laughoff: .

It really pays to get friendly with the repairmen as most of them want bigger jobs that pay more, plus they do all the leg work for you :laughoff:

britincali knows what he is talking about :freakin_nuts: When i do sevice calls you can read now a customers are in about 6 seconds. If they are like a$$es they dont get sh*t for free :laughoff: