Is this just tasteless or is it me?

ocean's 4

I was looking through my local newspaper on the internet today and came across this story. I think it's enough that the family in this accident lost a loved one, but this newspaper not only has picutres up on their site, but also a video of the man dead under a yellow tarp.

Now is it me or is this just plain disrespectful to the man and his family?

Edited by Ocean03

I was looking through my local newspaper on the internet today and came across this story. I think it's enough that the family in this accident lost a loved one, but this newspaper not only has picutres up on their site, but also a video of the man dead under a yellow tarp.

It is disturbing....but sometimes, its what it takes to get people's attention of the importance on being safe. My prayers to the family.

It's very distasteful. But I think most newspapers are. In June my brother was found dead in a field (drug overdose & heat exposure) and the local newspaper published a photo of him with sheriffs and paramedics standing around. It was very disturbing to say the least, that's not the last image of my brother that I or my family wanted to see. I wrote a letter to the editor and photographer of the newspaper but I got no response of course.

Disrespectful to have that picture! :beercheers:

Looks to me like there's been more than one guy riding outside the "designated" area. :drunk:

Prayers go out to the friends and family. :praying:

Sorry to hear about your loss too raptorgirl. :(

R-

Edited by Randog

Just seems like they are trying to put a black eye on the sport with an man's life, but come on, this is someones son/brother/dad who knows, not an example. I did write the paper on this one though, it just didnt seem right.

Raptorgirl, sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even imagine.

Sorry for even posting this on DDR.

Yeah they could have used a different picture. Totally unnessary. The event in itself is enough for getting peeps to take notice. Why put the family through anymore? :beercheers: What ever happened to tact??

Prayers go out to the friends and family. :praying: :praying:

Sorry to hear about your loss raptorgirl :(:(

Guest Crasher

I agree, this pic is completely unthoughtful to the family. They could have removed the body first. :( Prayers to the friends and family of this unfortunate guy. :praying:

Raptorgirl......I'm so sorry about your loss. That's horrible. :( My prayers go out to you and hopefully your family is healing. :beercheers:

ATV Accident

I did NOT click on the link, my question to you is. If you think it is so disrespectful why did you then post up the same photos and or article on this site. You might be a hypocrit? Just does not make sense to me

Edited by Kens Colors

I did NOT click on the link, my question to you is. If you think it is so disrespectful why did you then post up the same photos and or article on this site. You might be a hypocrit? Just does not make sense to me

OH STOP IT :laughing::drunk: lol

The photos are on a news website and were on TV where the family could have seen them. Since Randy posted them on DDR in a section only where members can view them, I think it's very unlikley that the family is on here and will see them again.

oh yeah....and :banghead: you didn't click the link. You have to- you just can't help yourself. Admit it. :beercheers:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was kinda thinking the same thing :beercheers::drunk::laughing::banghead:

Look at the Prez bustin' balls!!!!!!!! :beercheers:

I'll admit, I went back and clicked it a second time because someone said you could see his feet sticking out!!!!

Edited by wingnut

Look at the Prez bustin' balls!!!!!!!! :headbang1:

I'll admit, I went back and clicked it a second time because someone said you could see his feet sticking out!!!!

LOL at wingnut, so did I and watch the video..!!

When does the CHP do videos like that, that's a first time I seen a report like that and kinda wierd they let all the info and close ups out.....

Why be a pussy and delete it?

You know, read the article, it pissed me off, so I vented. Leave up the link, I'm a hypocrit, delete it, I'm a pussy. Whatever, again, thought it was tasteless for a newspaper to put up a pic, was hesitant about putting it up here, because I knew the kind of respnses it would get, but I did, and for that, my bad. Last time I will start a topic on this site.

Randy, you did nothing wrong. You are gonna get stupid chit from people regardless, especially in the summertime. I think the sun cooks their heads a lil too much sometimes. :lol:

Don't sweat it, bro. :headbang1: I'd say go start another topic just like it just to be an azzhole and a hypocrit. Eff em. :dance:

When does the CHP do videos like that, that's a first time I seen a report like that and kinda wierd they let all the info and close ups out.....

That wasn't CHP video, it was shot by the paper. I'm not aware of CHP shooting video at all, if they document anything it's with stills and the body would not be tarped (part of the official investigation). At accident scenes it's SOP for the senior officer onscene to act as a public-information officer (PIO) and release whatever information on the incident as they are allowed. That would include name (if next-of-kin has been notified), age, city of residence, and circumstances surrounding the accident. But usually the reporter will summarize the incident and use selected quotes from the officer to illustrate. Then again, this is TV done by a newspaper, not TV done by a TV news crew.

I've watched the video, in my opinion (as a professional news photographer) it was very poorly edited. Keep in mind that the scene is public, and the press has the absolute right to broadcast images taken on public property, but the public's right to know needs to be balanced by some discretion in the images broadcast. Repeated shots of a body under a tarp are excessive and gratuitous, especially with portions of the victim's body visible. I've been doing this a long time, and I would never have put a piece like that on the air. Not to say I wouldn't have used a shot with the tarp... I would have, but I wouldn't have used the tight shot nor have used it more than once. There's a lot of other shots there that tell the story without showing the victim repeatedly.

RIP and Godspeed to the victim, prayers for his family. :(