CBD on Fox news

Fox News out of Los Angeles did a three-part segment last weekend about the Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis). The final segment (Sunday night) included a glimpse into one of the mouthpieces of the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) which is the same anti-access/closure organization that is now targeting Dumont.

The reports are, for the most part, very unbiased. That's fine... all we ever wanted was to get the facts out there and let them speak for themselves.

Take a look at the train that's coming toward Dumont...

http://timspage.temecula.com/vid/GlamisOnFoxNews1.wmv

http://timspage.temecula.com/vid/GlamisOnFoxNews2.wmv

http://timspage.temecula.com/vid/GlamisOnFoxNews3.wmv

Closing the dunes for a stupid weed!!! :laughing: I wish these people would find something better to do, like go duning!!!!! Let's get em all in a long travel rail and take em around the dunes and then see if they want to close the dunes for some little plant or lizard! Eco-douchebags! :finger2:

Closing the dunes for a stupid weed!!! :finger2: I wish these people would find something better to do, like go duning!!!!! Let's get em all in a long travel rail and take em around the dunes and then see if they want to close the dunes for some little plant or lizard! Eco-douchebags! :flipoff:

How about a night ride in the no-travel rail!!

All kidding aside, this eco-dude Daniel Patterson is a piece of work.....he sounds two faced. He fights for the closure of dunes, however he won't pay the access fees that he helped impose at Glamis!! :laughing: Hope he likes his $1100 ticket.

The best part is everytime im at my moms house and i have to do yard work you knwo how many of those lil effin weeds i end up runnin over w/ the lawnmower or pulling outta the ground.. yaa... the imperial valley is LITTTERED w/ these effin things and they want to close down a portion of the dunes to protect it.. its a bunch of hippy nonsense

I love that part of this Fox series. The BLM rep makes it clear IT'S THE CLIMATE STUPID (hiya Dano) and then mentions something like 1.8 million plants... 1.8 doesn't sound threatened to me. Sheesh that guy really irritates me!

I nearly went out to meet up with them prior to the hike.

But I was fresh out of Lyesol and couldn't stomach the idea. ;)

Vicki

Edited by SailAway

I nearly went out to meet up with them prior to the hike.

But I was fresh out of Lyesol and couldn't stomach the idea. ;)

Vicki

:finger2: yep...damn hippies- go shower after hugging all those trees! (or weeds in this case) :laughing:

I just think its funny he refuses to pay the park entry... and gets cited... haaha... DOUCHEBAG!! And Vicki you are right and so is BLM its the CLIMATE!!! look anywhere from Ocotillo to Yuma.. those damn bush's are everywhere..

Vicki

You go! What a blessing you are to the duning community. Intelligent, educated, and civil debate is needed... also the movement to re-open the books on the endangered list as many of the plants and animals on the list(s) are not endangered anymore according to the U.S. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife.

Keep me in the loop~

look anywhere from Ocotillo to Yuma.. those damn bush's are everywhere..

If you are finding these plants anywhere else other than Glamis you need to get ahold of somebody from FWS because they say the ONLY place these plants grow is in Glamis. It's also funny when they mention the 1.8 million plants, those are the plants in the dunes. Those don't include the plants in the areas that were closed in 1974. When the areas were closed in 1974 the rest of the area left was supposed to be for OHV use FOREVER. To me forever doesn't mean until some Eco-terrorists decide it should be closed because of some stupid weed.

Edited by Don29palms

Vicki,

I am all for the fight, but it is really depressing to read that the judge is handed a biological study in our favor and just decides to disagree for no other reason than she just doesn't like the idea. We need to find out how we can change the laws and legislation so that we have some say in these matters. What initiatives, if any are there for us to vote on? Who can we write to that can make a difference. What about the corruption that is abusing all of our fees that are being paid? Everyone I know is proud to pay their annual fees because they think the money is being used for Glamis or whatever location. I despise the fact that I am paying money only to have it spent somewhere else. How to we get some kind of accountability for how our fees are spent?

Also, it might be worth while to see how the ASA and others can align themselves with the AMA. They were fighting for the right to ride in Riverside County, which was recently defeated. The ASA is a powerful group and they weren't able to stop it on their own either.

Wow Kipper, I hardly know where to begin! So many great questions/comments all rolled into one post!

It is depressing that a judge can hand down a decision like that and not be challenged. And it is frustrating to be facing lawsuit after lawsuit filed by the anti-access groups.

But until we get to the very heart of the matter, which is changing the Endangered Species Act, we will continue to throw good money after bad.

The hard part is... it's a long road to get that ESA changed and in the meantime we have lots of little battles starting up that we can't just ignore, like the one in Riverside and the one right here in Dumont.

One of the easiest things to do is to write to your legislative representatives. It doesn't matter where you are from... political pressure to keep Dumont open can just as easily come from Michigan. YOUR representative has an obligation to the needs of his/her constituents... not just his/her district.

Then write to the The Guvernator... Dumont is in his jurisdiction and you need to let him know you want him to protect your ability to keep riding there.

I know this sounds like a pretty basic thing to do, almost too simple. But you'd be surprised what the impact is. My name, and the organizations I represent, are known at State and Federal levels. Why? Because I made those phone calls, sent those faxes and wrote those emails.

Tell your representatives to support Richard Pombo's ESA rewrite.

Write to the Barstow BLM and tell them how you feel about Dumont and that you want them to protect your ability to ride at Dumont.

Attend the meetings of the Technical Review Team (that's where your fee question comes in).

Stay in touch with the changes and stay involved.

We only lose when we sit down and stop rocking the boat.

Vicki

Vicki,

I am all for the fight, but it is really depressing to read that the judge is handed a biological study in our favor and just decides to disagree for no other reason than she just doesn't like the idea. We need to find out how we can change the laws and legislation so that we have some say in these matters. What initiatives, if any are there for us to vote on? Who can we write to that can make a difference. What about the corruption that is abusing all of our fees that are being paid? Everyone I know is proud to pay their annual fees because they think the money is being used for Glamis or whatever location. I despise the fact that I am paying money only to have it spent somewhere else. How to we get some kind of accountability for how our fees are spent?

Also, it might be worth while to see how the ASA and others can align themselves with the AMA. They were fighting for the right to ride in Riverside County, which was recently defeated. The ASA is a powerful group and they weren't able to stop it on their own either.

Edited by SailAway

the only reason they do this is money they dont care about anything else, these guys sue and sue thats the only reason they are getting what they want, we need to bind together get our a$$es in gear and sue the goverment , maybe then they will realize we are searious, the asa and other groups need to flood them with lawsuits, after all thats what cbd, sierra club and all the other crap a$$ tree huggers do, if we dont kiss the dunes goodbye, next all the deserts and mountains, the only recreation will be theme parks, i dont know about you guys but f@#ck that! oh yeah waht kind of tree hugger drives a suburban eco fuel or not its still a big vehicle why dont they drive electric cars? what a joke! :rainbow1: :headbang: :rockon:

Maybe we should really be looking at the political level. I saw a commercial for a California legislator and at the end it said that he was endorsed by the sierra club. That got me thinking... we need to find out who all the politicians are that are backed in any way by the sierra club and vote against them. We may have to look into each candidate and each bill to see what is going on. We might want to check in on this page from time to time to see what the other half is involved in politically. I know it sounds like work, but we might all have a lot more free time on our hands if the enviro ###### have their way.

http://www.sierraclub.org/politics/

Don they are all over the imperal valley.. and they know it they just wont admit it.. dumbass's

I don't mean to argue with you but again if these plants are growing all over the Imperial valley the people that do the studies of these plants should know. The people that are studying these plants for the duning community would NOT leave out that fact. Again, if you know other places this plant is growing it needs to be brought to someones attention. If this plant is growing throughout the Imperial valley it wouldn't be considered endangered and therefore the closures at Glamis could be reopened.

Unfortunately, the Pierson's Milk Vetch is a dune plant and although there have been scattered reports of finding this milk vetch in other places, they have all turned out to be other variations of the milk vetch... maybe Lang's or Coachella Valley, etc.

However, there are some who are certain it grows in the part of the Algodones dunes that spread into Mexico. Unfortunately, those don't do the Glamis fight any good either.

Vicki