1979 picture and commentary

sandawg

:blury: Taken in 1979 at Sand Mt. Nv. outside of Reno. There was a cattle tank on the west side of the hill where we cooled off and cleaned up. :swim: that was some of us......Others would disappear at night and come back in the morning all smiley and cleaned up. Guess thay went down the road and visited the girls at the "little red house" :sophie: Not me, honest, I never did that..... :beercheers:

All parts taken off of a tunnel rail (shortened VW pan) for the younger folks.

On the next trip I endowed and barrel rolled it with the wife in the car. Mis read the sand since the last trip there. Spent the night in Fallon at the hosp. Wife had a concusion. We only had lap belts at that time. She tells the story that I did it on purpose :dayum: That same trip she got stung by a bumble bee on the way up there. It must have been camped behind the seat of the truck.

Rail had a 1641 turbo. Kept up with the hotter 1835's and early 2140's.

When runnin the hills at Pismo and Sand Mt. I spent more time looking at the sky than what was ahead of me. Got to love a rear enging car. :blink: Now days I can't see well enough to try that stuff. I can still find the booze and food though. :blury:

Still love my trips some 30 years later.

Edited by SANDAWG

:dope: Taken in 1979 at Sand Mt. Nv. outside of Reno. There was a cattle tank on the west side of the hill where we cooled off and cleaned up. :swim: that was some of us......Others would disappear at night and come back in the morning all smiley and cleaned up. Guess thay went down the road and visited the girls at the "little red house" :sophie: Not me, honest, I never did that..... :beercheers:

All parts taken off of a tunnel rail (shortened VW pan) for the younger folks.

On the next trip I endowed and barrel rolled it with the wife in the car. Mis read the sand since the last trip there. Spent the night in Fallon at the hosp. Wife had a concusion. We only had lap belts at that time. She tells the story that I did it on purpose :dayum: That same trip she got stung by a bumble bee on the way up there. It must have been camped behind the seat of the truck.

Rail had a 1641 turbo. Kept up with the hotter 1835's and early 2140's.

When runnin the hills at Pismo and Sand Mt. I spent more time looking at the sky than what was ahead of me. Got to love a rear enging car. :blink: Now days I can't see well enough to try that stuff. I can still find the booze and food though. :blury:

Still love my trips some 30 years later.

To be honest it's almost a live style to me instead of a sport. All my vacations were planned around a trip to either Pismo or Sand Mt. when I lived in Sacramento or Buttercup when I lived in Tucson and now Coral Pink, Dumont, Armagosa, Nellis Dunes or Trail rides in the mountains. I didn't know about the riding opportunities around Vegas when I moved and sold the car with the trailer for $2500.00 because I just didn't realalize it. :blury:

Wow Dan! You're :contract:!! :watching:

Weren't you born in a rail?? You have been doing this forever! There was no road going up to the camp area when you first started going to Dumont was there??

Are you guys going to make the annual Tday trip this year??

Edited by sand chick

Same year same story, I built this HiJumper from a tacked kit that cost $175(took a while to save up for it) has a few parts from my old tunnel buggy on it too.

post-1556-1221843117_thumb.jpg

Glamis 1979(gas was $1 a gal at the old Glamis store that weekend the highest I'd ever seen)

Cool, I'm not the only "old fart" around here. I see we spend our money on HP and not chrome wheels at that time. Bet we both had gunk in the tires that used to go flat without it. I think I paid $700 for the frame and coil over suspension. Hope to meet up with you some time to bench race and lie to each other about the good old days. I hung around Buttercup in from 82-86, did do the sand hiway to the store once but stayed and played across the road. Who knows why. We did have a ball on trail rides there and take dips in the aquaduct.

See ya sometine!

Edited by SANDAWG

cool beans papa!!!

j/k

Help out an old guy here, thought I was up on most of the "slang. Guess not!

Cool Beans Papa???????

dDdn't think I had alswaysers yet.....sigh.....

Wonder if it was Pepcon, the "Green Cloud" Or the lead out Lake Mead Road.

Oh and don't forget the dirty dirt the Gibsons left for us. Not to worry I still am proud of Hendertucky!

Edited by SANDAWG

Help out an old guy here, thought I was up on most of the "slang. Guess not!

Cool Beans Papa???????

dDdn't think I had alswaysers yet.....sigh.....

Wonder if it was Pepcon, the "Green Cloud" Or the lead out Lake Mead Road.

Oh and don't forget the dirty dirt the Gibsons left for us. Not to worry I still am proud of Hendertucky!

You're not the only one who didn't get that. :black: :banghead::dunno:

You'll have to excuse indasand- he is a 99% drunk poster. :beerbong: :dope: lol

BTW I love old duning pics. It's always cool meeting duners that have been into it so long. :whoop: Keep the old dune pics flowing. :D

Wow Dan! You're :whoop:!! :banghead:

Weren't you born in a rail?? You have been doing this forever! There was no road going up to the camp area when you first started going to Dumont was there??

Are you guys going to make the annual Tday trip this year??

The "No Sensitive People" crew will be at Dumont for T-Day come by so I can pick on you in person

Edited by lakecitydan

You're not the only one who didn't get that. :black: :banghead::dope:

You'll have to excuse indasand- he is a 99% drunk poster. :beerbong: :blah: lol

BTW I love old duning pics. It's always cool meeting duners that have been into it so long. :black: Keep the old dune pics flowing. :D

That being the case about the drunk poster I really should have gotten it...??? :blury:

It was different in the past but the key thing was we had fun. Smaller crowds for sure but same ratio of folks that liked their "spirits". :dunno:

Sent the newbees to the wood pile spiked with "Iron Wood" to chop and stoke the camp fires. :coocoo:

Environmental folks would love this. We took an old tire to the top of Sand Mt. poured some gas inside it lit it and let it roll down the back side of the hill away from the camp ground of course, it could roll for almost a mile :MBdance:

At night at Pismo a bunch of us would take our "Big" Honda 110's out to the steepest hill we could find, get a long run and see who could get the furthest up the hill. If you, in a state of advanced drunkeness :dope: , didn't roll the bike and yourself back down the hill you should have stayed in camp with the women and kids. :laughing: don't throw things girls, today's ladys are up to the task..., Good save right??? :dope:

How about those dune lights???A burning VW case that would throw light for miles.

Damn, I regress :old:

Got to be quite a few oldies out there, are there enough to have a topic section of older pictures and "war stories"??

Gotta go now, the nurse here at the home says it's time for my nap and enema :whoop:

Edited by SANDAWG

cool beans papa!!!

j/k

I have no clue what that meens either...

You're not the only one who didn't get that. :laughoff::beercheers::laughoff:

You'll have to excuse indasand- he is a 99% drunk poster. :beerbong: :dunno: lol

BTW I love old duning pics. It's always cool meeting duners that have been into it so long. :banghead: Keep the old dune pics flowing. :D

99%.... I'll try harder next time

:banghead:

cmon :banghead: you guys. cool beans just means cool papa usually means old . so ill throw a swag and say that it means "thats cool old man " i was only 16 in 79 i only had a yz and a tm and a dt 360. buggies were for the rich folks. but ya drinkin and duning back then was the norm not the exception. at least in pismo it was :beercheers: if i ever stop fighting with my dad ill get the pics.....

he ran a purple sand dragster looking buggy called plum crazy with a 421 pontiac in it. corvette rear end beer keg gas tank, motorcycle front wheels you sat over the rear end scary fast :ah:

heres a pic of a big 1640 yellow rail and a 1835 gator rail

S\

Where was the picture taken of the buggys in the camp with concrete pad? Cackground almost looks like Coral Pink from the background in the photo but I don't remember any concrete. The only time I camped in the campground there I was busted by the ranges for driving the wrong way into my camp site and had to rake up the tracts my rail left in the gravel in the camp site. Guess those Utah rangers don't like Nevada people! We stay in the "meadows" now. Never see a ranger there.

S\

Where was the picture taken of the buggys in the camp with concrete pad? Cackground almost looks like Coral Pink from the background in the photo but I don't remember any concrete. The only time I camped in the campground there I was busted by the ranges for driving the wrong way into my camp site and had to rake up the tracts my rail left in the gravel in the camp site. Guess those Utah rangers don't like Nevada people! We stay in the "meadows" now. Never see a ranger there.

good guess, that concrete slab is still there as far as I know. its like #9 or #11. its the space that is on the northeast side corner. I havent camped at campground forever, just go to meadow. it was taken in 1978

Edited by foolofsand

good guess, that concrete slab is still there as far as I know. its like #9 or #11. its the space that is on the northeast side corner. I havent camped at campground forever, just go to meadow. it was taken in 1978

Cool deal, never saw it when I was there. Thanks,

Pat