What's with customer service these days?

dunefreak

It seems as though people these days just don't give a damn anymore. Maybe it's just Vegas, but I have noticed that every bar I go into, every restaurant I eat at, and just about anywhere else I go -90% of people just can't do their jobs for sh*t.

I'm not even talking about doing a spectacular job either. For example, today we went to a local restaurant (shall remain un-named for now). We were seated without given any friggin menus. :laughoff: Isn't that the easiest part of a host/ hostess' job?

The waiter takes our drink order. Then like 2 minutes later he brings us out our drinks and asks us for each and every drink who had which one. I said, hell you took the order. :thumb: I was barely listening when everyone ordered and told him who had what. :laughoff: It's these kinds of things that bug the hell out of me.

Another thing is bartenders. Most of them don't even notice when someone walks up to the bar and needs a drink. Wingnut and I stood at the bar at Tommy Rockers last night for a good 15 minutes or so waiting for someone to acknowledge us. We even tried to get their attention numerous times. Then finally we had to yell directly at the chick bartender in front of us and say "hey can we some drinks here!?" Then she looks at us like "yeah, sure....what do ya need?" :laughoff: She acted as if we had just walked up when we had been standing there forever. Ugghhhh!! :puke:

There I'm over it now that I got that out. It just bugs me how people these days don't take any pride in what they do and have no concern for other people. I give 200% at my job and rack my brain sometimes to try and keep people happy. Why can't others just give a measly 100%. :flipoff:

The fact that you get poor customer service anywhere is ridiculous and uncalled for. I really believe that it happens because noone will do anything about it. I'm one of those jerks that when I get poor service I complain to the management. Most of the times I'll give a place 2 chances to screw up and then I'll never go back. I know that means nothing to most buisnesses but if enough people did that these places would realize that they aren't doing us a favor by being in buisness. They are in buisness because they have customers. On the other hand I'll give praise where praise is do. The company that built my car made some mistakes in their choice of parts. I got ahold of the people at Jamar to resolve some problems. These people in my opinion bent over backwards to take care of the problem I had. The owner, Rod, was very concerned about his products and why they failed. He hooked me up with some new upgraded parts at a fair price and for that I'm grateful. You can't beat a lifetime warranty.

Edited by Don29palms

I agree completely Don. Whenever I get crappy service more than once- I too won't go back. For example BWW. BOTH locations have let me down numerous times. I, personally, will never go back to either one. Everyone always says, ahh come on let's just go back. I say, to hell with that place. Maybe if everyone shared this attitude, these businesses would have to learn to EARN their customers with good service rather than just EXPECT them. Just because a place has a good location doesn't mean I'll go there. I'll drive out of my way to go to a place where I know they treat their customers well.

pete your right, alot of people today just don't care. i'm with you on giving 200% at what i do. dealing with customers all day, trying to make things right when their cars brake down. my experence with a certain RV dealer in town has put me in a bad place because i know how the business is, they could care less about there service, its not their problem. most people today do not know what customer service is anymore.

I try to pride myself on giving excellent customer service and make sure that I always get back to people in less than 24 hours from their call. I also make sure to make a call everytime I have a question or something that concerns me with the job so that there is no issues later. I even go as far as making home visits to people in henderson (I live in Pahrump) and other vegas areas on the weekends or do installs in the wind at 11:00 at night to work with peoples scheduals. I throw in free artwork at no charge and always include extras for the hell of it and my installs always turn out flawless.

After all of this I still get people haggleing me and trying to lowball me and compare me to sign shops that dont do anything for free or offer thew same quality designs as me. I offer top notch service and only 1/8th of my customers appreciate it. Im not saying that there is any excuse for poor service...but it would be nice if more people would give credit to those of us that actually do go out of their way for their customers.

my .02 :laughoff:

I make my living by helping people with their financial needs(Mortgages) I have made a nice living over the past 17 years by providing the very best in customer service and availability. I have noticed over the past 2 years that people are just about the price. I am always in the middle of the pack, sometimes I am better sometimes I am worse. Fact is people would rather deal with an on line or phone orginated loan then have a Loan officer do a face to face. Then when it all goes sideways they wonder why no one will return their calls or help them. Service sometimes a little more but is well worth it in the long run. I have made my living on referral business.

As far as service in resturants and bars etc. it usually sucks. One time while going thru McDonalds with my then 14 year old son I told him in order to be a star in todays world you only have to be better than the person at the window at Mcdonalds for employers to want to hire you. Unfortunatly this is true. Employers are starved for employees and will take anybody just to fill the position.

It seems as though people these days just don't give a damn anymore. Maybe it's just Vegas, but I have noticed that every bar I go into, every restaurant I eat at, and just about anywhere else I go -90% of people just can't do their jobs for sh*t.

I'm not even talking about doing a spectacular job either. For example, today we went to a local restaurant (shall remain un-named for now). We were seated without given any friggin menus. :dunno: Isn't that the easiest part of a host/ hostess' job?

The waiter takes our drink order. Then like 2 minutes later he brings us out our drinks and asks us for each and every drink who had which one. I said, hell you took the order. :laughoff: I was barely listening when everyone ordered and told him who had what. :laughoff: It's these kinds of things that bug the hell out of me.

Another thing is bartenders. Most of them don't even notice when someone walks up to the bar and needs a drink. Wingnut and I stood at the bar at Tommy Rockers last night for a good 15 minutes or so waiting for someone to acknowledge us. We even tried to get their attention numerous times. Then finally we had to yell directly at the chick bartender in front of us and say "hey can we some drinks here!?" Then she looks at us like "yeah, sure....what do ya need?" :angry: She acted as if we had just walked up when we had been standing there forever. Ugghhhh!! :shake:

There I'm over it now that I got that out. It just bugs me how people these days don't take any pride in what they do and have no concern for other people. I give 200% at my job and rack my brain sometimes to try and keep people happy. Why can't others just give a measly 100%. :dunno:

Please tell me you didnt tip the bartender after you had the sh*tty service. Bartenders,waitresses etc. make most of there money in tips. I personally think the tip should reflect there service. I am not cheap by no means, But I refuse to leave a good size tip to a waitress,waiter,bartender that doesnt provide a quality service. Im not asking anyone to do backflips, Just get the order correct and make sure my drink stays full!!! :laughoff:

Hey Pete, anyway of changing the redhat smiley to a Purple hat smiley? It would match my OGP logo. :laughoff:

i have to agree. ive complained about service for years. especially in vegas. but its not only vegas. i ate at cracker barrel in KY when i went, and the hostess basically sent us in to the restuarant to seat ourselves. i was furious. then it took FOREVER to get our order. Vegas is supposed to be a town built on service, and I think the service in this town sucks, almost everywhere. People just dont care anymore. its sad i think. im always so shocked when i do get good service, cause its so rare anymore. good post pete!!

ps i agree about the service at tommy rockers, our waitress was horrible. cant say ill ever have a get together there again. have to find a better place next year!!

:laughoff:

Please tell me you didnt tip the bartender after you had the sh*tty service. Bartenders,waitresses etc. make most of there money in tips. I personally think the tip should reflect there service. I am not cheap by no means, But I refuse to leave a good size tip to a waitress,waiter,bartender that doesnt provide a quality service. Im not asking anyone to do backflips, Just get the order correct and make sure my drink stays full!!! :dunno:

Hey Pete, anyway of changing the redhat smiley to a Purple hat smiley? It would match my OGP logo. :laughoff:

No Tim, I didn't tip the bartender that made me wait forever. However I did take care of the other bartender girl that asked me nicely if I needed a drink as soon as I walked up. :laughoff::D

And no, I can't change the smiley's hat to purple. Purple sucks. :dunno::laughoff::laughoff:

Customer service here at my work is a very important part of my weekly revenue-the problem is that if my salespeople can't close the deal-I can't make any money on the shipping and handling!It seems that the salespeople are looking for the easy sale or customer. Working where I work at you have to understand that no customer is an easy sale.Our clientele is usually the elite people of our city-usually the local politicians,celebs,lawyers that are in our city that have no problem spending a ridiculous amount of money on the stuff that we sell but they don't get the attention that they deserve.They walk around and nobody asks them if they need help so they walk away.Then the salespeople bother me about how they are so broke and they haven't sold anything in a week or so.I believe its they way they are giving bad customer service=no sales!

Im w/ the most of ya... 2 times of sh*tty service and i wont go back... I even talk to management when service is REAAAAAALLLLY horrible... and i also talk to management when i get a waiter or waitress that has done an outstanding job as well...

Take for instance Lou and Steve at bdubs @ the galleria... Either one of those guys would go out of thier way to make DDR very happy w/ thier food orders or drink orders and they are just bartenders... They know taht we will hook em up w/ customers, cash, and you name it for good customer service... the WAITRESS's at bdubs could give a rat's a$$ less and thats one reason why we wont go back there... That portion of thier establishment screwed up a good thing..

Bdubs on Horizon and Horizon.. they are just lousy all around when it takes 45 min to cash me out when the bar isnt even 1/3 full and im by myself thats freaking rediculous.. I even wrote on the reciept " Next time dont take 45 min to cash someone out and you might get a tip DOUCHEBAG "

Personally Im w/ pete about the %200 part.. When i worked retail at fry's everyone would come to me for my knowledge my outstanding customer service and what not. I was able to make sales like no one could believe... they would come in for a $200 fry's special and well 1800 dollars later and a custom build for our tech shop.. :D they want a 200 dollar machine to do the work of a 1800 dollar machine.. i knew if they bought the 200 dollar one they would be returning it in a week.. so i took my time and explained everything too them what it did how it affected the system and they were pleased..

in the end.. Bad service 2 times im not coming back... and i tip based on service... i have given a $20 dollar tip for dinner because the waitress did a OUTSTANDING job... and i have given a $0.50 tip cuz the waitress was retarded ( not literally Tom Cruise )

It's not tipping I believe in it's overtipping.....(Steve Martin)......when the service is great. If it isn't....I have given $1.01 tip and told them to take a waitressing 101 class, because the service sucked. I too don't go back for a 3rd time if the service was bad the first 2 unless I know the owner.

I go out of my way if good/great service is given. It seems as though the "customer" was taken right out of "customer service" and now it's become just plain "service!"

My turn. There is a few bike/atv shops within about 60 miles of me here in CA. When I was putting a dead man switch on my Banshee I called a shop, won't say a name but it is on Azusa Ave. :), waited on hold for about 45 minutes, finally got someone on the line and asked if they had a dead man switch. The guy said yes, we have some in stock. I asked him if he was sure, it's a long drive for me (60 miles). He said yes, I have one in stock. I asked if he could hold it, gave him all of my info(year make, and model) and was on my way. Get there, and ask for my switch, theses guys give me the I'm too dumb to do anything look. They finally get the common sense to look in the back, holy crap, they don't have one. Asked about the one they were holding for me, oh whoops, nothing being held. I asked for the guy who I talked to on the phone, weird, all of a sudden he has amnesia and didn't remember talking to me. :laughoff: Needless to say, I will never go there for anything again.

i kno of one too its off of craig and lamb called "vegasmotorsports" worst service ever, when i call to get a part for my moms bike they never have so i drive 40 min to get a part off of boulder highway

That is the same company as the one on Craig road. The Henderson service has the worst service,attitude and sales people of any company I have ever been in. I will NEVER go to that company again even if it means losing out on a weekend of duning for lack of a part.

Just so you guys know if your riding a 4 stroke.. go to thumpertalk.com if they dont have the part in stock its usually next day to thier warehouse which you can pick up from and its up off rancho/cheyanne by the north vegas airport.. :D

I can't agree more. My work(FedEx) I have been kissing customers a$$' for almost 13 years as an hourly and salary. Thats fine though because as in any market, compitition is just furious. I've been in Vegas for quit a while, so I can't say if it's a Vegas thing........................that being said, I can't tell u the last time I've dealt with a business and left smiling. I just don't understand employee/management mentallity. Oh well, it is what it is.

:headbang: Reataurants, real estate, sandrail mfgs, etc... It seems as if all of the new players have come into a "sellers market" due to the home equity stimulated economy. I try to deal with reputable long term companys which have weathered the "buyers markets" and expect a quality product at a fair price (both to them and myself). I sell my service on quality and that is how I buy also. I have approached 6 local realitors on trying to buy some commercial property, as well as residential, explained what I am interested in and received nothing but an initial mls with their own listings. No follow up, no calls when something new becomes avail. NOTHING. For those of us whom have been through the leaner years it is truly hard to understand the lack of service in most industries. OK I feel better now :angry:

Well all this talk about sh*tty service at restaurants lately has made me even more appreciative of the service duniemonkie & I got today. We went to the Grand Cafe at Green Valley Ranch Station and I must say...wow, they have their sh*t together over there. That place is a great place to grab some good food. They are friendly staff, they have really good food, prices are pretty cheap, and the service is outstanding. :D The place is really nice as well and it's open 24 hrs too! :headbang: It's a great place to grab some good grub late at night :laughoff: . :happydrunks:

Needless to say I took care of the waitress with a good tip. :D

I was pretty happy with this place to say the least and just thought they deserved some good word spread about them. :laughoff:

I cant say the same about the restraunt across the parking lot less that 200 yards away that just won best bbq restraunt in LV.... they might have the best food but i hope they didnt count on thier customer service... our waiter was SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW almost tom cruise slow... needless to say he only got tipped 1.62 or whatever it came out too..