Going Pro

TheAlaskan

Ok, so not really.....

But I just got a GoPro Motorsport Hero Wide camera today at lunch! I know someone on here posted a video of Glamis taken by one and I had to get my hands on the camera. It holds a 2 Gig SD card and can record for up to an hour till the card fills up. It can be used as a regular camera with 5 megapixels or set to take pictures every 2 or 5 seconds. Also comes in a shock proof case that is water proof up to 100ft. I'm fricken stoked! I cant wait to take it out to Dumont this weekend.

post-3400-1237501232_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheAlaskan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one as well, Its a fun camera. I hope you didn't pay full price, I had told people on here I can get them a deal on them.

Don't skimp on batteries! I learned the hard way with them crapping out midrun in the sand.

Right on Ian, :booty:

bp-guy got me into these cameras. :banghead:

I got one just before the 70 Regatta. :atc:

I recorded every buggy ride and some ATC rides too.

I gotta get those videos edited. They're awesome.

He's right about the batteries. don't Cheese out. :clown: <<< :lol:

Here's some support equipment I bought from Ebay:

8 ea - Ni-MH AAA batteries. = $18.00 shipped

1 ea - smart charger with led status lights. = $18.00 shipped

3 ea - 2GB sandisk SD cards = $24.00 shipped

1 ea - carry case = $20.00 target

You don't need the quantities that I bought.

I just didn't want to run out of anything out there.

You'll love that sucker. :blury:

PM me if you want the Ebay stores that I actually bought from. ( no hassles ) :D

Enjoy,

R-

i just bought 8 2900mAH AA's and a smart charger for 30 bucks or so from thomas distributing. They were the highest mAH ratings i could find. Helmetcamera.com told me the 1800's they use will power the camera for up to 8 hours so with the 2900's i should be able to get well more than a full weekend out of them without them even trying. I just have to order up a second one for the camera and find a case if this thing works :D

I have one as well, Its a fun camera. I hope you didn't pay full price, I had told people on here I can get them a deal on them.

Don't skimp on batteries! I learned the hard way with them crapping out midrun in the sand.

Yeah I was one of those people, I just didnt have the money to drop on it untill now and I didnt want to call Since its been like three months. No worries though, I ended up getting a 2 year warranty with it from pep boys of all places.

Right on Ian, :gayboy:

bp-guy got me into these cameras. :banghead:

I got one just before the 70 Regatta. :atc:

I recorded every buggy ride and some ATC rides too.

I gotta get those videos edited. They're awesome.

He's right about the batteries. don't Cheese out. :clown: <<< :lol:

Here's some support equipment I bought from Ebay:

8 ea - Ni-MH AAA batteries. = $18.00 shipped

1 ea - smart charger with led status lights. = $18.00 shipped

3 ea - 2GB sandisk SD cards = $24.00 shipped

1 ea - carry case = $20.00 target

You don't need the quantities that I bought.

I just didn't want to run out of anything out there.

You'll love that sucker. :blury:

PM me if you want the Ebay stores that I actually bought from. ( no hassles ) :D

Enjoy,

R-

Thanks for all the info Randizzle. I just got a couple of lithium batteries for now. I went to frys electronics after work and picked up 4 2GB kingston SD cards for $9.99 each....

Fuggin Quote of the week!

"pssshhhhyeah, thats cause I'm a level 18 wizard!" 30yr old nerd on his phone at Frys :booty:

Randog- what batteries did you buy on E-Bay?

I looked and there are a ton of them out there. Were you satisfied with the charge they held?

Don't be afriad of that suction cup assembly. If you get it on a good smooth surface and lock it down it will not come off. All my videos were made using the suction cup attachment. It filmed very good with no visible signs of vibration in the video.

Edited by bp-guy

Randog- what batteries did you buy on E-Bay?

I looked and there are a ton of them out there. Were you satisfied with the charge they held?

Here's what I got. Great charge. :banghead:

R-

post-591-1237568742_thumb.gif

post-591-1237568767_thumb.jpg

post-591-1237568784_thumb.jpg

i just bought 8 2900mAH AA's and a smart charger for 30 bucks or so from thomas distributing. They were the highest mAH ratings i could find. Helmetcamera.com told me the 1800's they use will power the camera for up to 8 hours so with the 2900's i should be able to get well more than a full weekend out of them without them even trying. I just have to order up a second one for the camera and find a case if this thing works :D

2900 mAh? I thought the 2650s AA I had were good. Now are the AA for the cams or AAA? The highest AAA I found are only 900 mAh. I didn't look very hard though, Walmart :banghead:

so how much are the cameras running $$$.

i might have to bring my own sd card out and borrow one for a run.

I bought mine for $154 free shipping from woodwardspecialties on Ebay.

I bought mine for $154 free shipping from woodwardspecialties on Ebay.

he will do a hair less now as well... he sponsors one of the other boards I am on and it can be gotten a bit cheaper.

i think these things are awesome....

i have one that i am just gettin a chance to use it at the D next weekend, since i to took the cheap route also on the batteries and had it at the :atc: regatta but the batts said "no way" .

i grabbed some energizer ultimate lithiums and they worked good so far, took some random "truck door mounted" video around town and they still show a good on the battery meter, now i need to comb the internet and get some good rechargables.

the suction cup works like a champ, you could probably use it to pull dents!, i stuck it to my door on my truck the other day and drove around for a bit, when i stopped i released the lock and it still made my door flex tryin to get it loose.

and just for info for everybody, i wasnt paying attention to the card i threw in it and when i got home i went to upload it to my laptop and noticed that i used my 8gb card, opened up the file and it was perfect.

:banghead:

thanks for fixing me up too bp. i got mine a couple months ago and just got around to opening the box for clean-up weekend. i know they're cheaper now, but that doesn't bother me(much....hee hee). when it came time for batteries i went the cheap route and got the kirklands at costco. i figure this camera won't last long with that slot where you put the memory card being a great place for sand to get in(cover with a piece of elect tape?). :laughing: i learned a lesson years ago with vcr camcorder...who knew sand and cameras wouldn't like each other? i carry mine when not in use in a ziplock bag...turns out my digital still cam has the same card in it, so i already had 2 for that...didn't even have to buy one. some of you may have seen joel mohr's baja bug out filming on clean-up weekend. we made some really good videos with me following the two baja bugs and then we mounted the cam on one of the bajas and filmed me in the purple ghetto-rail(the one you hear coming before you see it...creak creak). one thing about these wide angle cams is you gotta be pretty close to the subject to get a good shot. i wonder if the cheaper cam go-pro sells wouldn't be a better choice for what we are doing in the dunes. a friend has one and i saw a video he had taken, but i hadn't used mine yet so don't remember whether it might be better. anyone using the cheaper model out there??? also like bp said in a previous thread the closer you mount it to the motor the better. and don't even think about running it without the plastic waterproof box it comes in if using in the dunes. instructions say take the seal out of the waterproof box for much better sound, but the wages for that sin will be DEATH to your camera i'm thinkin.

So Saturday started out Great. Got out to Dumont around 10:30/11. Got camp set up and headed out for a ride. Got some good videos from the day which I'm uploading to YouTube right now. Saturday night the wind started gusting up while BBQing dinner. Started to see people pack up and leave. We decided to stick it out and it eventually died down enough to have a couple of drinks and sip on some whiskey by the fire. wind blew off and on all night and blew like crazy all sunday morning. Woke up to a train of people leaving. We decided to eat breakfast and pack up and leave. In all honesty it was probably the worst trip out there in the past three years, But I still had an F'ing blast and wouldnt trade it for anything!!!! :clap: Man I love that place!

I"ll post up the video link as soon as they're done uploading.

Edited by TheAlaskan

I"ll post up the video link as soon as they're done uploading.

I just made a video and uploaded it to YouTube.

I was a run from the North Pole to camp. :clap:

They muted it for copyright purposes. ( song ) :dope:

So, I just deleted it all together. :( No need to get busted n'Shiat.

I'm bummed for that, and also the viewing quality from YouTube was poor compared to right off the computer.

It was a pretty cool video too. :laughing:

R-

I just made a video and uploaded it to YouTube.

I was a run from the North Pole to camp. :clap:

They muted it for copyright purposes. ( song ) :dope:

So, I just deleted it all together. :( No need to get busted n'Shiat.

I'm bummed for that, and also the viewing quality from YouTube was poor compared to right off the computer.

It was a pretty cool video too. :laughing:

R-

here's a link to a story on what happens when you add music to a video that's copywrited

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29836285

The videos are up! Not all of them yet because youtube sucks and wont let me put up the last three for some reason. They are unedited with no music because of all of youtubes anti copyright infringement B.S. So it is what it is........enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Mather...amp;view=videos