DSLR camera tips, techniques, photo sharing, etc

dunefreak

• 2 weeks later...

Got lucky tonight. I knew there was going to be a launch of an Atlas 5 out of Vandenberg this evening. I setup 2 cameras and made my best guesses as to were the rocket would go. This is about 70 miles away. You can see that an airplane flew by. I bet those passengers had a great show.

p656131393-4.jpg

p954335508-4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got lucky tonight. I knew there was going to be a launch of an Atlas 5 out of Vandenberg this evening. I setup 2 cameras and made my best guesses as to were the rocket would go. This is about 70 miles away. You can see that an airplane flew by. I bet those passengers had a great show.

p656131393-4.jpg

p954335508-4.jpg

well i finally got myself a dslr nothing high end; just tired of the pocket camera! especially since i got a baby girl due any day now :)!, but got a steal on a canon xs with kit lens....it will do for now; either way made it though this complete thread....lots of great shots here.....

fe135 how long was you exposure on these launch shots? is there kind of a known standard for star trails?

thanks and im sure will be seeing some badass shots from this halloween weekend; not gonna make this one due to blown quad motor and baby any day.....

Kevin

well i finally got myself a dslr nothing high end; just tired of the pocket camera! especially since i got a baby girl due any day now :)!, but got a steal on a canon xs with kit lens....it will do for now; either way made it though this complete thread....lots of great shots here.....

fe135 how long was you exposure on these launch shots? is there kind of a known standard for star trails?

thanks and im sure will be seeing some badass shots from this halloween weekend; not gonna make this one due to blown quad motor and baby any day.....

Kevin

Way cool, K. Congrats. You're gonna have fun with it.

Kevin

I think those were about a minute or just under. The stars will trail after about 20 seconds. More if your pointed south.

• 3 weeks later...

So I don't know jack squat about real photography, but I want to. My sister got a D5000 at costco, also currently on sale, and she likes it, but I'm thinkin it might be an amature version of a real camera. It comes with 2 lenses, and it's 12.3 mega pixel. If I'm gonna drop any coin on another camera, I want that lightning fast shutter speed to get those good action shots. Any suggestions for this greenhorn?

So I don't know jack squat about real photography, but I want to. My sister got a D5000 at costco, also currently on sale, and she likes it, but I'm thinkin it might be an amature version of a real camera. It comes with 2 lenses, and it's 12.3 mega pixel. If I'm gonna drop any coin on another camera, I want that lightning fast shutter speed to get those good action shots. Any suggestions for this greenhorn?

That is a great camera. Is 4000th of a second not fast enough?

:laughing: yeah, Andy...it doesn't take much to freeze action with a DSLR. Usually 1/800-1/1600 is more than enough. I have never even used mine on any faster shutter speeds. It's pointless. It's the quality of lens and how fast it can focus that is the key element to a good action shot.

Thanks for the help.

So like I said, I don't know jack squat :blondie: I don't even know what DSLR stands for :laughing:

I just don't know what a good camera is: My wife paid around $500 for a canon G5, back in the day when 5.0 megapixels were impressive :laughing: , and it rarely takes a pic without getting blurry :dunno: ; maybe it's my parkinson's shake :think:

Anyhow, I read posts about a D50 model, and was just curious how this one stacks up? I haven't done any research on any cameras, just hoping for suggestions from some of the pros :thumb:

One of my favorite recent shots.

This guy was pretty tricky to catch especially while trying to hold the camera still while on a boat in the Pacific. I kept my focus set to AI Servo since he was moving all over the place. Here's where my 70-200 f/2.8 lens came in handy. It is really fast and sharp.

post-3-011716400 1290404314_thumb.jpg

Wow, looks great! I'd like to achieve that quality of a shot someday :beercheers:

<------------------------------------------------------------

That d5000 I mentioned snapped off that new avatar shot I have...I thought it "froze the action" pretty well. I let my wife's sister outta the car and then came "drifting" sideways right at her. I Might just have to start dropping christmas hints with the wifey :laughing:

So I tried with the christmas hints, but the wife says to just buy it myself. Maybe I'll end up wrapping it up for me as well :xmas_grin: . So I think I've decided on the Cannon T1i . It comes with two lenses, a bag, 4 gb card, and a few other trinkets @ costco for $749. Sams Club was $799. For my research, it seems to be entry- intermediate camera, but seems a little cheaper than the nikon D5000, and alot cheaper than the nikon D90. The research I did compared it to the D90, so price became a persuading factor. Gonna order one up, and see what I can do. :ban-split:

Still open to suggestions & advice :beercheers:

• 1 month later...

So I tried with the christmas hints, but the wife says to just buy it myself. Maybe I'll end up wrapping it up for me as well :xmas_grin: . So I think I've decided on the Cannon T1i . It comes with two lenses, a bag, 4 gb card, and a few other trinkets @ costco for $749. Sams Club was $799. For my research, it seems to be entry- intermediate camera, but seems a little cheaper than the nikon D5000, and alot cheaper than the nikon D90. The research I did compared it to the D90, so price became a persuading factor. Gonna order one up, and see what I can do. :ban-split:

Still open to suggestions & advice :beercheers:

I gave my daughter the Canon T1i for christmas, and it shoots extremely well. I've got the Canon 7D and its a great camera, one of the best I've owned, but for a solid entry to intermediate camera, the T1i works great and you'll not be disappointed. Like Pete said, the biggest deal is the Lens and understanding how to set it up.

SP2 Mike

:beercheers:

I gave my daughter the Canon T1i for christmas, and it shoots extremely well. I've got the Canon 7D and its a great camera, one of the best I've owned, but for a solid entry to intermediate camera, the T1i works great and you'll not be disappointed. Like Pete said, the biggest deal is the Lens and understanding how to set it up.

SP2 Mike

:beercheers:

It's definetly a lil intimidating...quite a bit I'm gonna have to learn about...but very excited. I want to figure out and understand how to "blur" the back ground, while freezing my target(like sand drag pics). All I've done so far is point and click...still haven't read the manual or shooting guide.

Here's a couple I've taken:

post-6067-066709600 1294028999_thumb.jpg

post-6067-061645900 1294029179_thumb.jpg

post-6067-028596100 1294029207_thumb.jpg

post-6067-034909300 1294029256_thumb.jpg

All I've tried is the preset settings, but please: make suggestions: I want to learn :thumb: