building sand rail for first time

key_guy

ok so I'm building a sand rail for the first time. I would appreciate any help on what I should get for it. engine size and transmission info. What kind of brakes are good? shocks? Where do I get seats for it? I don't have a whole lot of money to dump into this, so the parts hopefully are cheap. I know some will be expensive but thats ok. I would appreciate any and all information that you can give me. some pics of it below. thanks.

sandrailfront.jpg

sandrailright.jpg

sandrailrear.jpg

sandrailfrontend.jpg

paddletire2.jpg

paddletire.jpg

I don't mean to come across rude but it might be cheaper in the long run to not use that at all and get a used rail complete. That frame looks pretty beat up. All the parts and accessories will cost quite a bit and a used rail would probably be only a couple thousand more and will look alot better.

There are alot of nice beam cars for sale out there.

Edited by bp-guy

I don't mean to come across rude but it might be cheaper in the long run to not use that at all and get a used rail complete. That frame looks pretty beat up. All the parts and accessories will cost quite a bit and a used rail would probably be only a couple thousand more and will look alot better.

There are alot of nice beam cars for sale out there.

I completely agree. The parts for these are so expensive and you could get so much more for your money if you buy something as a whole. If it is working on it that you are looking forward to, there is always things you can do to a rail.

X3 ^

That frame setup you have will take alot of money to finish. Not to mention due to the age of it the frame may be brittle or already have cracks.

But if you are committed you can buy a ton of used VW and buggy parts for pretty cheap on sites like http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi and craigslist. ;)

X3 ^

That frame setup you have will take alot of money to finish. Not to mention due to the age of it the frame may be brittle or already have cracks.

But if you are committed you can buy a ton of used VW and buggy parts for pretty cheap on sites like http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi and craigslist. ;)

I have to agree with the pevious posts. I built a rail from scartch with basic parts and I built the motor my self. When I was done I had over 10 grand in it. I just bought a nice rail for 4200 and all I had to buy was tires and that was nearly 1 grand for fronts and backs and no wheels.

If you are looking for the pure enjoyment of doing it yourself and can afford to take a year to built it right then go for it. If not buy used in good condition. Prices are down and there are some really good deals out there!!!

well I'm looking for something I can buy things here and there. I have a decent amount of welding experience and can rebuild some of it... got the metal to do it also. a buddy and I have beent alking for a long time about building one, its just something we want to do. the frame is not in to bad a shape, I will be redoing the inside where the seats are due to rust, also I'm a pretty good painter so that wont be a problem either. my main thing is what parts as far as engine and transmission and turning brakes and all the good stuff...

I know its going to take awhile and more money than buying a complete one, but its something we want to just call our own. also I appreciate your feedback :)

well I'm looking for something I can buy things here and there. I have a decent amount of welding experience and can rebuild some of it... got the metal to do it also. a buddy and I have beent alking for a long time about building one, its just something we want to do. the frame is not in to bad a shape, I will be redoing the inside where the seats are due to rust, also I'm a pretty good painter so that wont be a problem either. my main thing is what parts as far as engine and transmission and turning brakes and all the good stuff...

I know its going to take awhile and more money than buying a complete one, but its something we want to just call our own. also I appreciate your feedback :)

well , if the money isnt the issue you should still scrap that frame and start from scratch. and build a car with some suspension travel . the dunes nowadays are pretty torn up from lt cars. start with a jig find a good pattern and make one from scratch :beercheers:

Edited by barefoot bob

ok so I'm building a sand rail for the first time. I would appreciate any help on what I should get for it. engine size and transmission info. What kind of brakes are good? shocks? Where do I get seats for it? I don't have a whole lot of money to dump into this, so the parts hopefully are cheap. I know some will be expensive but thats ok. I would appreciate any and all information that you can give me. some pics of it below. thanks.

sandrailfront.jpg

sandrailright.jpg

sandrailrear.jpg

sandrailfrontend.jpg

paddletire2.jpg

paddletire.jpg

option 2: www.doghouserepair.com & of course www.doghouseengines.com

option 1: call Phil @ doghouse & I'll tell you where you can get a mid engine rail that rolls that has a siezed 2275cc engine in it for only $1500. Although it is rough, it is worlds ahead of what you have.

I know how it is to want to build your own, but right now you can find a good rail for a lot less than you can build it. I should know I just finished my first. Expect to spend around 10k to build a fairly good mid travel beam car. Suspension being the key. Spend the money for the good coil overs, Fox. Get suspension seats, wider beam for coil overs, swap the tranny to IRS and get rid of the rear torsions for coil overs. Pretty much scrap all of the stock VW stuff. Then you need a good engine. You can get some stuff from Phil at the Doghouse, Butchs speed shop, Pacific customs in cali is really good for off road stuff. If you want some more info let me know. Another big thing is to keep it light. You'll want to run aluminum wheels and beef up that cage.