Cingular or Verizon

da_burgh

Hi guys...My wife and I are currently with Sprint PCS b/c I get a discounted rate through my employer. We both are tired of the dropped calls and dead zones. My buddy has Verizon and gets service at the dunes....I was amazed. Comparing the 2, they both have their pros and cons...I want to get some of your experiences and comments on these 2 carriers. Thanks.

I previously had Cingular and was really happy with their svc, but I got no service whatsoever at Dumont. I needed an additional line added to my plan and decided to switch to w/ Verizon due to the good deal on minutes and mostly because of their service at Dumont. I personally like Cingular better in town. There were way less (almost none) dropped calls. Verizon works good at the dunes, but I do get occasional dead zones and dropped calls here in town. They aren't too bad- I doubt I'll switch back to Cingular, mostly cause the svc at Dumont Verizon gets. On the other hand, Cingular might work at Dumont soon too. When we were driving to Dumont on Sunday AM, we saw them putting up a new cel phone tower along HWY127. :cry: I started a thread a while back simiar to this, let me see if I can find it. :woo_hoo:

It also depends on the PHONE you purchase... The only time i get a dropped call in vegas is this one spot on 95 thanks to Black mountain.. other than that my service is perfect everywhere in town... Hell i even get service while on the water in havazu :D

It also depends on the PHONE you purchase... The only time i get a dropped call in vegas is this one spot on 95 thanks to Black mountain.. other than that my service is perfect everywhere in town... Hell i even get service while on the water in havazu :D

I know. I was just thinking about that. Maybe my "buy one get one free" phone isn't the best for reception. I just didn't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on 2 phones though. :cry:

I know. I was just thinking about that. Maybe my "buy one get one free" phone isn't the best for reception. I just didn't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on 2 phones though. :undecided:

This is very understandable.. My phone was 100 bucks when i bought it and thats w/ renewing my contract... i do believe they have the LG VX8100 the same phone i have on special as a buy one get one free now... :D I just know to stay away from nokia phones they are HORRRRRIBLE!!!

We have cingular....and service in town depends on the phone you purchase. 2 out of 3 of our phones work great and the 3rd drops calls all the time. The wife is always complaining about their infamous "no dropped calls" service :undecided: ....but it's just fine for me. I paid $200 for my phone...it better work good!!

I have Verizon and love it. One benefit of Verizon also is there is no charge to talk cell to cell on Verizon network.

I had the same deal with AT&T and now Cingular....but I would still go Verizon, if I had a choice at this point, just for the Dumont coverage.

Edited by cmyfirepole

I switched from cingular to verizon because verizon gets good dune groupie reception :dunno: I got the V communicator by LG and its almost like a laptop computer! I can get money wired to me at lake havasu and a helicopter drops it off right on top of sandsnakes boat next to the empty beer cans next to the engine! :undecided:

effin Eddie! :undecided:

My Razr on Verizon gets awsome reception in Dumont, Amargosa and in town. The only "dead" zone I have forund is probably the same one ISBB is referring to. The 95 between Horizon and Lake Mead.

I get Excellent recept with my Verizon here in So Cal.

I totally want one of those thin razr phones. I have to wait another year or shell out $300.

F that, I'll wait. That's a half drum of 111 octane. Ya know what I'm sayin'

the other spot i found is along 95 after searchlight but if you look at their coverage map there aint squat out there so its expected... i dont make that trip tooo often so it doesnt bother me..

I have Cingular for my personal phone and Nextel for business phone. I absolutely HATE Sprint/Nextel, but I have to have it. I love Cingular for the service in town and on trips to CA, but I also do not like the fact that Cingular doesn't get service at Dumont so I did the next best thing. I bought a cheap Verizon phone and got pre-paid minutes. I take that phone with me to Dumont and that's it. Cingular has the roll over minutes, which to my suprise, really adds up. So personally, I would go with Cingular and get a cheap Verizon phone with pre-paid minutes. Just my .02

• 1 month later...