Opinions on this Rail! Guy wants to trade for jeep

1BADYFZ

I have my jeep for sale and this dude wants to trade this rail for it, he has sent plenty of pics but me not knowing much about sandrails except that i would love to have one i am not sure what to ask or if it's a POS.

He said the seats need covers and the carbs need to be dialed in but other than that it is a mazzone mid-engine with a 1776 vw engine with dual 44 idf carbs. Pics were taken today

Here are the pics..Thanks guys

Rail0061.jpg

0803091132.jpg

0803091133.jpg

0803091133a.jpg

0803091133b.jpg

0803091134.jpg

It's not a POS but.....................It's a standard travel, swing axle with Marvin Shaw shocks. It will rattle your teeth loose and give you migranes. You will be wrenching on it ALL THE TIME!!!!

I am not a wrecher and I like my teeth, I will wrench when needed but if this is a every trip type wrench and every trip some sh*t breaking then i am not with it...

I could get a bike running but this thing i may not be ready for, the suspension is as stiff as a board and the way Dumont is or any dunes for that matter i can feel my guts shaking around right now.

Thanks for the advice bro...

Just picked up something very similar a few weeks ago. Have not yet been out in it to give the correct opinion. I have taken it to a VW shop I know personally and he has been throughout the complete engine and trans. The engine is solid but I had to have the trans taken apart and resealed. The fan shroud needed replaced along with a few different things. This is no long travel but if you want to have fun at a cheap price go for it. The old farts that can afford LT will probably no longer wish to drive one of these. Kinda like going from a Ferrari to a VW. Just my :headbang1:

The only thing I hated about Mazzone's cars was the fact that your butt was actually below the frame. If you look at the side picture of the frame you can see the seat below the frame. The seat is aluminum and not a seat per say. If you bottom out somewhere you will feel it in the seat of your pants literally! Dialing in a pair of carbs is easy if you have a syncrometer.

The suspension is another issue, by todays standards that car has NONE. But if this is your first car then you will have a great time in it. I went from about 4 inches of travel to 18. Huge difference in the way you drive a car and look at the dunes.

A 1776cc motor isn't that big and you definately won't be the big dog at the drags. You should be able to hit Comp and go up it but not as fast as you hoped. Hopefully the trans is geared right for the motor. A motor hitting its sweet spot and a transmission not in the correct range SUCKS! you have to do alot of shifting up and down to keep it moving in the dunes.

If your comfortable with everything else and you definately should meet somewhere and test drive it, I say go for it. As long as your jeep and the rail are the same price range.

And bring a buddy that knows a thing or two about sandrails to look it over before buying it!!!!!

The one thing that jumps out at me is something that Brice (Sandseeker) told me a few years ago, if someone is selling something and they didn't fix the "easy fixes";i.e., tuning the carbs .... then it should raise suspicion about the regular PM that was done on it.... I am not saying it wasn't, just saying that you should keep in the back of your mind......

I have my jeep for sale and this dude wants to trade this rail for it, he has sent plenty of pics but me not knowing much about sandrails except that i would love to have one i am not sure what to ask or if it's a POS.

He said the seats need covers and the carbs need to be dialed in but other than that it is a mazzone mid-engine with a 1776 vw engine with dual 44 idf carbs. Pics were taken today

Here are the pics..Thanks guys

Rail0061.jpg

0803091132.jpg

0803091133.jpg

0803091133a.jpg

0803091133b.jpg

0803091134.jpg

looks like it had a turbo motor in it in the 1 pic maybe he put a junk motor in it to sale it or ??? other then that it looks good and i bet you would have a lot of fun in it . how much did he say it was worth

if i am not mistaken this buggy is in fontana ca.i had seen this car in the cycle trader for about 8,000 i think & in the descriptions it had a bigger engine i believe it said 2336 i might be off......but my thought this person put a different engine, be careful......this was a some time back.......hope this info helps....

in the first pic it does have a turbo, notice no air cleaners. if it was geared right for the turbo motor and those big tires it is probably going to be wrong for a 1776. i have ridden in a beam car, it can be fun but it is rough

How much are you asking for your jeep? $3000?

$4,500 I hope!!!

I really appreciate the advice guys, you guys really know your stuff and see alot of stuff i dont.. the gearing issue for me is a problem and coming from a turbo to a VW engine is going to be an issue. Not being tuned up from the carbs and leaving me to figure it out . And to me the engine looks like its way too small for that engine compartment and maybe a quick switch. I really dont want to trade a perfectly running Jeep for a problem.

will this thing fit into a 19ft attitude toy hauler anyways?

i am trying to trade for quads but I am itching for something....BE sTRONG!! :laughing:

thanks for all the advice.

the dunes are no where what they used to be. mid engine cars generlly road ruff to start with ( i know there are exceptions) and the dunes are rougher now than back then u would be better off with a rear engine beam car. if your gonna go old school. and even then dont get a swing . get irs so you can get a lil traval. they have kits to get 12" of travel out of the beams. just my opinion of course. :D

$4,500 I hope!!!

I really appreciate the advice guys, you guys really know your stuff and see alot of stuff i dont.. the gearing issue for me is a problem and coming from a turbo to a VW engine is going to be an issue. Not being tuned up from the carbs and leaving me to figure it out . And to me the engine looks like its way too small for that engine compartment and maybe a quick switch. I really dont want to trade a perfectly running Jeep for a problem.

will this thing fit into a 19ft attitude toy hauler anyways?

i am trying to trade for quads but I am itching for something....BE sTRONG!! :laughing:

thanks for all the advice.

i got a drag banshee i will trade you for the buggy or the jeep

post-2354-1249396943_thumb.jpg

post-2354-1249396971_thumb.jpg

post-2354-1249396997_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine is selling this car for $2500.

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...pid=184542&

I've got the KFX400 in the classified section and I would more than likely trade you for your Jeep and give you some cash to boot if your interested!

Let me know if your interested! :old:

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...showtopic=12544

Edited by SANDAWG