And you thought our winds were bad!

racegirl04

Got this e-mail from a friend of my husbands:

You know, sometimes when I tell my friends and family that several times a year we get winds with up to 130 mph gusts I think they believe me but find it hard to imagine, well last night was one of those nights. All day yesterday and then last night the winds were just Howling and whipping and just brutal. You can hear the big gusts coming as they gain momentum rolling down the mountain and then slam into our house and just bend trees over. This morning Alice and I awoke to find our patio swing ripped to pieces, dog bowls and firewood blown across the yard into the fence, two trees blown over, and our 200 gallon steel water tanks that we water the Elk and Mustangs with were blown as far as 200 yards away through the brush. It is really something to experience, we spent the day and night with our fireplaces blazing and all doors and windows locked as we just listened to mother nature do her thing. We always watch the FOX 5 weather with Ted pretty and so

we knew it was coming and were ready to stay inside and ride out with plenty of food and blankets to sit next to the fireplaces but sometimes campers just don't watch the weather forecasts and understand that when Ted forecasts winds with gusts up to 40 mph in Vegas and 50 mph down the Lake Mead/ Colorado river corridor that it means we will get gusts up to 130 mph. One of our neighbors has a wind chronometer and is the official wind gust measurer.Well last night the gusts reached 110 mph. There was only one family camping up here last night in a 32 foot travel trailer and it was hooked up to his, " Les", truck with 6 family members and 1 dog. The attached pics are what happened to them when that 110 mph gust hit. The wind gust ripped their trailer right off the truck hitch and rolled it 3 and a half times over 70 feet. Les said his dog was ejected and all the family members rode out the 3 1/2 rolls like some nightmare chaos. Nobody was killed or

injured seriously but very banged up and bruised and in shock. Even after the initial rolling then they were still forced to take refuge in the cab of their truck till the morning. Les told me that he knew a low pressure system was coming through but did not know about the notorius Cold Creek Gusts. He is a beleiver now. Check out the pics.

post-424-1254706450_thumb.jpg

post-424-1254706524_thumb.jpg

post-424-1254706560_thumb.jpg

post-424-1254706591_thumb.jpg I rotated this picture to see better

post-424-1254706633_thumb.jpg

i was headed to cold creek this morning to ride with a buddy thats my blue duramx and my buddies blue nitro in the back ground . I kept looking at the trailer when i showed up and kept telling my self thats to new to have been there so we drove over to see if everything was ok after hearing the story all four of our mouths were on the ground . that must have been one hell of a ride glad to see everyone walked away from this . really the pics just dont do the justice you should have seen it in person what a wreck

Well look at the bright side.... he didnt lose the table out of the back of the truck :banghead:

Wow that is crazy.... Reminds me of 1 night at Dumont when it was blowing my kitchen slide in 2" at the top... put slides in and wen to bed thinking we were going to end up on our side... all worked good.. Glad to hear everyone is ok

Capt

Glad to hear they are all ok and safe. Where exactly is this. I will have to place on my never to visit list. Would not want to chance it. Like I said good thing no one was seriously hurt. :banghead:

I'm not positive, but I think it's about 50 miles north of Vegas

I have been in some winds at Dumont before and wondered if our trailer was going to tip over. My wife once asked if it was gonna tip over one night in a really bad wind storm. I told her not to worry until she feels the tires lift on one side :banghead:

Looking at those pictures, it looks like the trailer was not connected at the hitch and was standing on the front lift supports. The king pin on the trailer is still intact and the hitch itself is still intact. Just wondering if it had been connected, if it would of blown the truck over also? Or prevented it from tipping. I always leave the trailer connected for that reason.

I still wouldn't want to be in a trailer in 110 mph gusts either way.