Wireless Router

bp-guy

I know we have a few computer internet guru's on here---

I have a router already for my Wii. It's a Linksys but I believe its an older model.

My current router works ok then it will pause to buffer more of the movie then continue. The pause can take a few minutes which spoils watching the movie.

Is anyone else doing this and if so what router are you using?

It will be only used to stream movies to my Wii from the internet via Netflix.

Thanks

I know we have a few computer internet guru's on here---

I have a router already for my Wii. It's a Linksys but I believe its an older model.

My current router works ok then it will pause to buffer more of the movie then continue. The pause can take a few minutes which spoils watching the movie.

Is anyone else doing this and if so what router are you using?

It will be only used to stream movies to my Wii from the internet via Netflix.

Thanks

That is more then likely your Wii or the internet connection, not the router, Since the router does not buffer any information.

That is more then likely your Wii or the internet connection, not the router, Since the router does not buffer any information.

I have no idea what your problem is but....When I went to Windows 7 my videos would stop to buffer more and download of videos was much slower. Just the other day I contacted my computer manufacturer to see if something could be done. Low and behold he had me do a couple of things at the "command prompt" program and it went to operating much better.

Maybe you have the same option.

Edited by SANDAWG

My Wii did all its upgrades it needed when it found the router. And I have Cox for my high speed internet.

Hmmmm the computer isn't involved in this is it? Does it just pull the info from the router or does it go to the computer then to my Wii?

Thanks for the help so far.

Hey Timmy. You also have to look at your speed of Download and Upload. I have a T1 line at home never an issue but if you have a slower speed yes it will have interruptions.Netflix downloads a movie in about 60 seconds. This should be your first spot to check. beercheers.gif

My Wii did all its upgrades it needed when it found the router. And I have Cox for my high speed internet.

Hmmmm the computer isn't involved in this is it? Does it just pull the info from the router or does it go to the computer then to my Wii?

Thanks for the help so far.

If you have the lowest service level they offer, then it could be the issue. Call and verify what speed levels you have, there may also be a issue with COX. PC could be an issue, if there is a virus or an application always going out to the internet.

Hey Timmy. You also have to look at your speed of Download and Upload. I have a T1 line at home never an issue but if you have a slower speed yes it will have interruptions.Netflix downloads a movie in about 60 seconds. This should be your first spot to check. beercheers.gif

T1 is 1.5 MB full duplex (up and down at the same time), the cox depending on which level of service he has could be 10MB down and 2 MB up (half duplex). Granted it is shared media, but should be faster than your T1 assuming he has a good connection and that level of service.

Forget these guys Tim.... How many walls are you trying to get through? If it is a couple your signal could be weak for the distance.... Internet> Router> Wii.... in that order and has nothing to do with the computer.

I just bought a Belkin Play N600 and it streams to my Blue Ray and my XBox great.... there is a better version (PlayN600) but couldnt justify the money. Get a new router and it should fix the problem. Down loaded movies from the laptop into my movie room and it has worked flawless.... easy set up and easy connection to all you other devices. You just need a stronger signal

Capt

i have used this one at my boss's house with great sucsess.. its in his closet upstairs and the kids downstairs on the other side of the house have no problem streaming or getting online to play games :D He also has cox home service as well.

We guys are only trying to Help.xmas_grin.gif. My wifi works pretty fricken good. ban-split.gif Just checked I have 25 KBPS Down and 3KBPS UP. Charter same sh*t as Cox. I guess this does not Help BP Guy though.

Just Saying Slow Speed = slow Connection regardless of how many walls you want to go through. stirthepot.gif

Forget these guys Tim.... How many walls are you trying to get through? If it is a couple your signal could be weak for the distance.... Internet> Router> Wii.... in that order and has nothing to do with the computer.

I just bought a Belkin Play N600 and it streams to my Blue Ray and my XBox great.... there is a better version (PlayN600) but couldnt justify the money. Get a new router and it should fix the problem. Down loaded movies from the laptop into my movie room and it has worked flawless.... easy set up and easy connection to all you other devices. You just need a stronger signal

Capt

I am trying to get the signal throught 2 walls basically. But these wall are are not full walls, they have doors and the other is a half wall not going fully across the room. I suspect the router as well because my internet is pretty fast and I have not had any issues there. I am not sure if the Wii has anything I can do to it. I only use the router for the Wii and not my computer.

Thanks for the info, just hate to buy a router if its something simple that I can fix.

i have used this one at my boss's house with great sucsess.. its in his closet upstairs and the kids downstairs on the other side of the house have no problem streaming or getting online to play games :D He also has cox home service as well.

Which router Nick?

We guys are only trying to Help.xmas_grin.gif. My wifi works pretty fricken good. ban-split.gif Just checked I have 25 KBPS Down and 3KBPS UP. Charter same sh*t as Cox. I guess this does not Help BP Guy though.

Just Saying Slow Speed = slow Connection regardless of how many walls you want to go through. stirthepot.gif

:assblast::assblast: :laughing::headbang1:

I am trying to get the signal throught 2 walls basically. But these wall are are not full walls, they have doors and the other is a half wall not going fully across the room. I suspect the router as well because my internet is pretty fast and I have not had any issues there. I am not sure if the Wii has anything I can do to it. I only use the router for the Wii and not my computer.

Thanks for the info, just hate to buy a router if its something simple that I can fix.

If the router is older then the technology is not as good as the newer ones. Mine had a hard time reaching upstairs to the kids rooms (i also had an older version). Bought the newer kind and it has been SAAaawwWWEEEET.... Try and if you dont like it take it back :laughing:

Which router Nick?

I think he is saying he has the same type as what I am using :dunno::coffee:

Capt

2 walls is nothing and internet browsing speed versus streaming media speed are separate issue. I can watch netflix on a wireless connection through 2 walls and it plays just fine, so I don't think it is your router. I just don't want to see you just start buying hardware for no reason.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cisco-Expert-E1000-Ultra-Wireless-N-Router/14066653

I use this cheapy router, Cisco Linksys E1000 ^^...to get Netflix to a LG blueray player, through 1 wall, about 20ft away and with 1 laptop running on the wireless.

We have Cox high speed internet, whatever the basic service is, I don't know the tech stuff. Our desktop is super slow, but thats a computer issue not the connection. We have no issues with the blueray player and streaming Netflix to the TV.

When I was reading some troubleshooting for a crappy Samsung player which we returned...it said the internet connection speed would cause that buffering delay.

Pick up a new router, if it doesn't fix the problem then just return it.

Mineurbiz is a computer guy, so I'd try his suggestions also ;).

2 walls is nothing and internet browsing speed versus streaming media speed are separate issue. I can watch netflix on a wireless connection through 2 walls and it plays just fine, so I don't think it is your router. I just don't want to see you just start buying hardware for no reason.

I beg to differ... I have cox's fastest service and with my old router it had a hard time connecting and staying connected.... its not just the walls it is other things in the area that needs to be considered also..... power lines ... interference from whatever else. My issue went away and now I can connect to the router in any part of the house. Wasnt my computer nor the cable speed ... it was the router.

Tim go to best buy and get a nice router... if it doesnt fix it then take it back and get a refund..... you just narrowed down 1 problem. If it does fix it then you can move forward

I think I paid 100 bucks for mine.... cant hurt... unless you live 50 miles from walmart..... then I would worry about you :headbang1:

Capt

I beg to differ... I have cox's fastest service and with my old router it had a hard time connecting and staying connected.... its not just the walls it is other things in the area that needs to be considered also..... power lines ... interference from whatever else. My issue went away and now I can connect to the router in any part of the house. Wasnt my computer nor the cable speed ... it was the router.

Tim go to best buy and get a nice router... if it doesnt fix it then take it back and get a refund..... you just narrowed down 1 problem. If it does fix it then you can move forward

I think I paid 100 bucks for mine.... cant hurt... unless you live 50 miles from walmart..... then I would worry about you :headbang1:

Capt

See...I knew it wasn't the old website server! laughing.gif

You can also try upgrading the firmware on your router, linksys should have them on their site. You just download a .bin file and then web into your router and upgrade it.

Cpt I am not saying that it is not the router, but there are other things you can verify prior to purchasing equipment.

kinda a pita and if you upgrade with the wrong firmware you might as well kiss the router good bye... Cheaper to buy a new one try it out if that solves the problem then great if not take it back... Fry's would be the best bet..

You can also try upgrading the firmware on your router, linksys should have them on their site. You just download a .bin file and then web into your router and upgrade it.

Cpt I am not saying that it is not the router, but there are other things you can verify prior to purchasing equipment.

Dont mind me lol:stirthepot:

kinda a pita and if you upgrade with the wrong firmware you might as well kiss the router good bye... Cheaper to buy a new one try it out if that solves the problem then great if not take it back... Fry's would be the best bet..

that is the consensus :headbang1:

Capt

Umm ok, I have upgraded a ton of these and never seen this happen.

OK I am done with this subject, I say go get a OC48 to your house and purchase a Cisco 6509E core router.

every tech has their own opinion.. whats that old saying.. opinions are like azzholes everyone has one :P Im sure he will figure it out. I have done firmware upgrades with no problem myself as well.. but i have seen numerous people grab the wrong firmware and trash a router because they didnt know what they were doin thats why i simply suggested buy a new one if it works great if not return it.. better than getting frustrated over a firmware upgrade. Alot of the older routers dont have the nice fancy wizard to do it for you. Gotta load it the hard way. Another reason for why i said what i said :P

Here's my :2cents:

BEFORE You upgrade your router, check with your internet service provider to see what routers are compatible with their service. Some internet providers only let you use their cheap crappy china routers.

BEFORE You replace anything, go into your routers configuration and change the channel it is broadcasting its internet signal on. EVERYONE has wireless now, if you have to many devices transmitting on same channel within the same band of the radio wave spectrum, that can be an issue.

Is your router on top of or near your microwave ? I solved a friends internet issue by relocating his router away from his microwave...

How many devices do you have in use at once while you are on you Wii console ? On your computer, run an internet speed test and see what kind of down and up speed you have, as stated in posts above, you might need to upgrade your connection.

You would be having a lot more computer issues if your system was infected with a bot net program, so I don't think its your computer causing any of your connection issues.

and blah blah blah blah blah....

get rid of the crappy cable tv internet providers, i have verizon fios adn have never had any issues. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

It was my router.

The kids are watching netflix as I type this message. Thanks for all the tech help. :beercheers:

Wound up with a Netgear N150. It was only $40 and seems to do all I will ever need it to do.