MLK Weekend Report

sand chick

:headbang1: EXCELLENT WEEKEND!!! :headbang1:

Perfect conditons, little bit of wind, lots of sun, little bit of chilly.

I had Friday off, so I finally convinced Mike to let the kiddos play hooky from school. So glad he did :)

Friday was THE perfect dune day.

Got out Thursday evening.. super chilly.. light wind blowing.. kids didn't care, they were playing on the quads (Justin Mike's littlest got a new to him 90 Predator for Christmas) before we had finished unloading. Wood supply was super low, so we opted out of a fire Thursday.. counting our wood.. thinking we weren't very well supplied, but it was a last minute trip... I decided to take my truck wood scouting.. zero luck place was picked clean. There were about 6 others camps. Saw some coyotes though. Mike spent the evening fixing the Direct TV box that took a nose dive out of the cupboard.. he's the man and had it up and going for the playoff games on Sat.. I don't want to talk about mine.. lol.. Broncos fan and all.

Got up Friday morning to smmmmoooooooth dunes.. the wind had blown all of Thursday night. While making breakfast, I hear someone pulling into camp.. hmm.. who could that be?? It was the wood fairy!!! Some nice guy getting ready to pack it up and go home brought us over a whole load of wood!! THANK YOU!! Whoever you were! Thank you! :) Saved our butts from being cold or retiring really early.

Right after breakfast... dune time... took Mike's littlest Justin out into the big dunes... he's only ridden around camp and the back road to the North Pole, so this was really his first time duning :atv:

Took him up to the face dunes to play around. Kid took to it like a fish to water. Leaning the right way, gasing it when he needed, slow when he had to. After the face hill play, took him over to comp and let him run the hill a couple of times and then off through the dunes to the North Pole!! :yiah:

Busy holiday weekends are great for hanging out and visiting with friends in camp... but off holiday weekends when you can take your 7 year old out duning to the North Pole.... PRICELESS!!! Something you could never do on Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years and Presidents Day!

Back to camp around the back road, eat some lunch.. go on a fast ride.. practice jumping.. and the sunset cruise back to the North Pole with Justin again :grin:

The kid didn't take his boots off but to sleep!

Back to camp.. refuel with some s'mores and visit with Joe Duner by the evening fire... and get a surprise camp partner Come on Down :headbang1: Love it when your friends just show up out of the blue :grin:

Get up and repeat...

Get up and repeat...

Joe Duner lead me on an awesome ride through the back side of comp. Perfect speed totally comfortable (as long as I didn't look out lol.. then I got a little :barf: but not too bad) I think a couple more runs like that and I will be better over there. It wasn't to fast wasn't too slow.

Had Mike take me into the Super Bowl the easy route.... I now love that spot.

Had to be back at work today, so I wanted one more fast ride before leaving... wind was crazy.. all the tracks we put down were being nicely blown away... having a fun ride, but every time I would side hill in the freshly blown sand, my quad would vibrate and the front end would shake like crazy.. not sure whats up with that. Never had that problem before :(:think:

But could not have asked for a better weekend and great memories.

There was approximatly 20-30 camps which included sigle hauler camps.

Road in was good, washboardy at the begining, but not horrible.

Hoping to make it out for the regatta weekend :)

post-2396-0-15199400-1326773435_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-66088700-1326773577_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-31430600-1326773603_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-86777400-1326773624_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-92556500-1326773644_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-49223700-1326773671_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-96631800-1326773701_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-82358300-1326773733_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-39176100-1326773755_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-62278200-1326773793_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-15639700-1326773822_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-19652800-1326773839_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-31008400-1326773859_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-76568300-1326773880_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-06501800-1326773897_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-87818300-1326773911_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-28663200-1326773933_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-86579200-1326773947_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-06326700-1326773973_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-29432000-1326774007_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-79979400-1326774029_thumb.jp

Edited by sand chick

The weekend sounds perfect. Not too many campers mus have been nice. Enjoying a run to the north pole with the Kids without traffic priceless.

Your Tie Rods must be going out to give vibration only a guess. Hopefully someone else can chime in. It must have been nice to have the Wind daily with fresh sand all weekend. Epic.

If you get a vibration, try going faster till it goes away. if that doesn't work, find a good spot to jump as high as you can, if that doesn't work... see if something is wrong with the bike...

I should have waited and just went down this weekend to meet some people. Since I went Thursday with my buddy i opted out of a second trip, but I don't usually get a free weekend when others are there so I just didn't think about it enough. I also had made the plans for Thursday before I really knew.

Going solo and riding with people i don't know also feels weird to me. with different riding styles and all... Alright enough excuses, I know everyone is cool, as long as I have time to hit some jumps it will be all good. I can't go for the 4th cause of gigs, and i won't go presidents day, but soon.

Glad the wind swept it smooth..

Going solo and riding with people i don't know also feels weird to me. with different riding styles and all... Alright enough excuses, I know everyone is cool, as long as I have time to hit some jumps it will be all good. I can't go for the 4th cause of gigs, and i won't go presidents day, but soon.

Glad the wind swept it smooth..

We are always happy to show people around Dumont. In my opinion a good leader is only as fast as their slowest rider.

I know there are plenty of others out there not willing to slow down for a newbie, always check before jumping in a line with people you are unfamiliar with. We also like to go when it's not so crowded.

We are always happy to show people around Dumont. In my opinion a good leader is only as fast as their slowest rider.

I know there are plenty of others out there not willing to slow down for a newbie, always check before jumping in a line with people you are unfamiliar with. We also like to go when it's not so crowded.

I wouldn't consider myself slow, and i guess it all depends. Ihave been out there several times now, so i am fairly comfortable. I don't usually go out on "runs" I go cruise around looking for spots to jump and just play. The riding style difference is one thing that makes me nervous about going out solo to meet a group I haven't riden with. That mix in riding styles can make it hard to just have fun. Like my buddy that LOVES going up comp. I can do it 4 or 5 times and i'm bored. but i can hit the same jump 30 times trying to get my nerve up to go faster. then when I wear that spot out, cruise around for another spot. my groups have been small and family, so they know I jump and we stay away from each other, or they ride off and leave me, then I have to go find them.

It's hard to get my friends to go on weekends cause they work weekend or have family stuff all the time. This last weekend would have been perfect for me to just go solo, but i won't miss it next time. I want to have some fun and hang out, instead of this digital crap. :)

:thumb: I get what you are saying. We don't spend alot of time jumping. I guess to figure out our riding style, just watch any of the videos posted by MarbleMD... we can do that anywhere from 2cnd gear up to balls out. :)

MLK is one of my favorite weekends, since there are very few people out there, usually.

Great pics and report. Thanks for sharing, Jodi. I always love trip reports. Not many people post them up anymore these days. :dunno: Sounds like it was one of those epic weekends out there. :headbang1:

The vibration in your front end could have just been from the rippled pattern in the virgin sand. I've experienced that before out there in the summertime. The front end feels really weird and and sometimes gets a funky vibration going. It may be nothing at all.

Just checked the shocks and entire front end and could not find anything wrong. Maybe was the sand. Christina has the same front tires as Jodi anbd it was hapening to her as well. My son did not notice it but he has lots of ridges on his tires. Hope it was just funky sand.

Edited by Marble MD

Due to traffic heading out to Vegas on the 15, we didn't make it out there until after dark on Friday night. The road in was a B, and there was plenty of action around the ranger station. Looked like they were manning up for a BIG weekend. The flats were EMPTY though. No big deal, as we had two problems to rectify over the course of the weekend: too much beer and too much firewood. Must be getting old because although it was a beautiful night, we only made it until about 11 PM.

Woke up Saturday morning to a COLD trailer. WTF?!? Check the propane, and I find two empty tanks (I store my trailer at my rental property and I think the tenants were using the propane to run their BBQ. Bastards moved out last week too :finger:) So we make a quick run into Baker to swap a tank and grub at Big Boy. After returning to camp, my YFZ has a dead battery and the Banshee hasn't been started in over a year. I brace myself for a long morning. To my surprise, the Banshee started after draining and refilling with fresh fuel. Ran a little rough for a few minutes, but cleaned itself out and ran like a champ for the first ride in over a season.

Felt AWESOME to go through the gears after a season off from sand. We ran through the dunes over to the south pole, back though the dunes to the north pole, then back to camp by the second finger. Effin PERFECT weather, and NOBODY out there. We were able to FLY through the dunes because of how lonely it was. The only thing that slowed us sometimes was the poor visibility at high noon.

After some lunch and getting the 450 running we head out for an afternoon run. Looked like everybody that was there was out riding at that time. We had a first timer (on sand) with us on a two wheeler and he was having a blast. We had to cut our ride when the sun began setting (no headlight on the dirt bike).

Quenching our thirst lasted until about 830 when we decided to bring out the grill and make ourselves some burgers. We were famished at this point and didn't care that it was COLD, we set that bad boy up near the fire and proceeded to make ourselves some genuine gourmet chizz!!

Sunday morning came a little soon and we all slept in because we finally had a warm trailer and well, we're getting old and a day of riding and a night of drinking makes my pansy-a$$ a little tired. We went out for a morning ride which lasted until past noon. We did NOT want to head back to camp (it meant that we were gonna pack up and head home). The wind started to get annoying when we were getting sandblasted any time we crested a razor, so we called it quits at about 130. We sat in the trailer and watched a movie waiting for the wind to calm itself some. We didn't end up leaving until past 5.

I cannot wait to get out there again. EFFE taking a season off! I need to make up for lost time!

• Like 1

:finger: hey, i ride a honda trx700 and it rides the dunes like a champ lol. nice trip report. hope the sand stays nice til the next time i can get out there.

I ride one too, white rhino is a good friend and just tossing some sh!t my way ;)

• I had a great trip. Lots and lots of riding, with a dash of driving. Car ran great. Quad ran great. I was thrilled to see my little one take to duning so well. Jodi led a great kiddie ride for him that I was able to gopro. He has ben duning since birth but never rode in the dunes before. Joe duner put on some great shows of his driving skills in the new XP. He showed just how much a rzr is capible of. Got some video of me trying to keep up with him but have not put it together yet. Nice small camp of 2 trailers. Playoffs and ufc on the trailer were great. Can't wai to get back out there again.

We are going out the last weekend of jan. The 27-29th. Camping at our usual spot near #9. Weather forecast is looking good for that weekend also. Hope to see you then.

Terry

Guess what!!! as of now, i don't have any event scheduled for that weekend... looks like i may have to make it down. Should i bring both quads, or try and find a ramp and just load the Raptor int he truck?

Guess what!!! as of now, i don't have any event scheduled for that weekend... looks like i may have to make it down. Should i bring both quads, or try and find a ramp and just load the Raptor int he truck?

How many can you ride at one time? Unless your bringing a guest one should surfice and if your bringing a guest that's ok too.