All you cool guys with your headsets

nwtdiesel

He called me Paul, im going to wait for him to get back from his trip so I can go see what the different set ups are he offers.

#1 Not sure if I want the hand held radio or hard mount. Which is easier to push and talk while driving? Both can play a I pod?

#2 Not sure if my kids need head sets?

#3 Not sure if just need the 5 watt or the better set up to call back to camp? Im thinking just the 5 watt so I can talk to other cars.

Also looking into GPS, where and who sells a decent one? What kind do I want? Any opinions welcome.

Edited by nwtdiesel

My radio is hard mounted to the car. I have a push to talk button on my steering wheel which makes talking to others real easy while driving. My passenger has one on the grab bar also to talk easily. Mine also has the Ipod hookup which is great when I ride alone (which I prefer, so I can drive a little harder and not worry about hurting someone else). Your kids are young still so the headsets probably won't fit them. Wouldn't hurt to make sure you have a system that can expand at a later time for them.

I believe my radio is 5 watts. When the antenna was tuned it made a big difference on the range it has. But it is still hard to get over mountains when you in a bowl or way down low and want to reach someone a few miles away. In the desert I can talk 2 miles away no problem.

Talk to Pete about the GPS, mine is hard mounted to my car. He has a portable one.

Edited by bp-guy

Lowrance Baja 7" works well and is easily moved to another vehicle. You might want to purchase an extra set of mounts and just swap out the unit itself. As far as headsets The kids are another set of eyes and they can also tell you if they have to puke, pee or otherwise need you to stop. Keeps their ears warm and hearing protected. Your going to need them someday anyway.

I have a contact on SoCal who does the Yateasu car to car radio's and kicks them to 100 watts so you can reach all over Glamis should the need arise and I can hook you up with him and get you a good price on the unit. If you want to see how it looks let me know and I will send you picture of mine that's in the car. There a little larger than some of the smaller radios but you get lots of power and channel selection because of it.

I think you can get the best deal on an in car radio with IPod/MP3 abilities from Coy at Mobile radio Communications in Boulder City at 293-SAND. I know Reese works with him and get's his parts from Coy.

Hope that helps.

Terry

• Like 1

I agree get an intercom for at least 4 headsets.

I have 4 headsets, and the kids LOVE them. I know you can get behind the head kits that make them smaller. Mine are big enough that I just run the over the head sets on em. The intercoms should come with a mini (3.5) connection in the front and also have a multi cond connector in the back you can direct wire the Ipod into (that is how I roll)

as for radio yes Id go with a mounted you get more Wattage on the mounted ones. I can talk to others from North Pole to camp if they have a 50w as well. the handheld they can hear us, but we cant hear them.

GPS, I dont run one, but as Terry said that is one of the best out there. talk to Pete as Terry said on his portable unit.

Edited by White Rhino