What lessons have you learned on owning toy haulers

Kitcat

I decided to start a new thread and get some helpful advice from people who've owned TH's and what you've learned. This whole process reminds me of buying our first house. There were so many things we learned and did different on our 2nd house. I'd like to hear what kind of options and things are important, especially in taking TH's out to the sand, the mountains, etc? What can't you live without? Or, on the other hand, what would you not get the next time???

Thanks!!!!

:P

6 volt batteries....Way better than 12volt for the money

Built in Generator...Do not let onan generator sit more than a couple of weeks or they stop working

Do not believe RV salesman...(some are good)

Electric tongue jack would be nice

CHECK ALL BOLTS AND SEALS and Plumbing BEFORE PICKING UP RV or going on a trip>>>>

Make sure they put high pressure valve stems on your rv tires.

If you don't custom order, look at the trailer and give the salesman your ph number, tell them the price is a little high and leave. Let them call you and make a deal. They called me and the price dropped a couple of 1000 dollars.

The big picture window is must.

:mischevious:

I decided to start a new thread and get some helpful advice from people who've owned TH's and what you've learned. This whole process reminds me of buying our first house. There were so many things we learned and did different on our 2nd house. I'd like to hear what kind of options and things are important, especially in taking TH's out to the sand, the mountains, etc? What can't you live without? Or, on the other hand, what would you not get the next time???

Thanks!!!!

:P

Always buy bigger than you need because you will always end up getting more toys . Seperate fuel station from gen is a must.Know what you can tow with your vehicle or you will be buying a new truck. Inverters are very cool so you dont have to fire up the gen to watch t.v .never enough storage

TONGUE WEIGHT!!!! Find out how much tongue weight the trailer really has and make sure you have a hitch rated for it. My trailer full of water had a 1810 lb tongue weight. My hitch which is a class 4 is rated at 1400lbs. So the owner of the dealership put a new class5 TITAN hitch on my truck to make me safe. :D

OGP how did you figure out tounge weight? did he have one of those special scales? make something up yourself? I would be curious to find out.

I took my trailer over to skyline and scaled it there. They have a SPECIAL scale. Trust me when I saw the scale I said MUTHA BITCHEZZ!!!!!

i believe ya.. i was just curious cuz i know they have special scales meant for the tounge of a trailer but some people do the house hold scale thing with some form of lever and ya its retarded.. was just curious if they had a REAL scale.. :D

Cool deal though. At least you know the tounge of your trailer is one HEAVY mofo.. Maybe freak oughta think about upgrading his hitch too??

6 volt batteries....Way better than 12volt for the money

Built in Generator...Do not let onan generator sit more than a couple of weeks or they stop working

Do not believe RV salesman...(some are good)

Electric tongue jack would be nice

CHECK ALL BOLTS AND SEALS and Plumbing BEFORE PICKING UP RV or going on a trip>>>>

Make sure they put high pressure valve stems on your rv tires.

If you don't custom order, look at the trailer and give the salesman your ph number, tell them the price is a little high and leave. Let them call you and make a deal. They called me and the price dropped a couple of 1000 dollars.

The big picture window is must.

:driver:

Wow! Lots of great advice! I'm going to print these posts! If I get a toy hauler, it will most likely be from my dad. Thank goodness! We just got through the whole negotiating thing at the Dodge Dealership. I learned to buy the last day of the month!!!

Always buy bigger than you need because you will always end up getting more toys . Seperate fuel station from gen is a must.Know what you can tow with your vehicle or you will be buying a new truck. Inverters are very cool so you dont have to fire up the gen to watch t.v .never enough storage

Yeah, that's one thing I've stressed to my hubby. He thinks we can just get a smaller TH. We did that with our first house. Who knew 2 people could outgrow a 1700 sq ft house!!! We sold that one and now have a house a little too big!

TONGUE WEIGHT!!!! Find out how much tongue weight the trailer really has and make sure you have a hitch rated for it. My trailer full of water had a 1810 lb tongue weight. My hitch which is a class 4 is rated at 1400lbs. So the owner of the dealership put a new class5 TITAN hitch on my truck to make me safe. :D

Good to know!! I'm learning as we go!!!

Start an excell spread sheet with all the standard features and options. Put in a colunm for price. It will help sort things out between different brands.

Great idea!!! I use Excel all the time for bills, budgets and stuff for work! Thanks!!!

electric tongue jacks are the shizzle!!!

gotta be patient when lighting the stove.

6 volts rock

chincy bunk ladder isn't made for people over 250 lbs

rust on chrome wheels comes off easy with CLR

make surethe frame rail is out of the way BEFORE you drain the oil

carry extra 12v bulbs at all times

wash out your black tank dump hose when you are done!!

It is a learning experience... I have a 40K traveling porta poty that I spend most of the time repairing or upgrading. Talk to all of your friends before signing on the dotted line. If I had to do it again I would buy used, it will save you money and hopefully the previous owner made all the unforseen repairs/upgrades.

(Don't buy at Wheelers RV in Vegas)

Cool deal though. At least you know the tounge of your trailer is one HEAVY mofo.. Maybe freak oughta think about upgrading his hitch too??

oh God, don't start that again. My hitch is just fine. My truck barely squats now with the new equalizer hitch after the trailer is loaded up. :laughoff:

Kitcat...

-I'd definitely go a little bigger than you need, but don't go TOO BIG.

-Try finding one used first- you will save thousands for the same thing

-Definitley get a front bedroon- they rock! :laughing:

-built in gennies are very conveinant as well

-try and get a toyhauler that has darker color flooring. Light color linolium (sp?) shows tire marks like crazy :beercheers:

AND A SAD TRUTH BE IT MOTORHOME BOXTRAILER OR TENT TRAILER THEY ARE MAKING THEM SO FAST THEY ARE FULL OF BUGS AND DEFECTS GET ONe ABOUT A YEAR OLD SAVE THOUSANDS THE REST IS GONNA COME UNGLUED ANYWASE ITS JUST A MATTER OF WHICK ONE COMES UNGLUED THE SLOWEST :beercheers:

YOU CAN NEVER CARRY ENOUGH WATER OR CAPS !!!

you can never carry enough fuel

you can never get a big enough fridge

you should never go 3 feet with a trailer if the tires say carslile on them

you can never get enough storage

you can never get enough buggy space

you can never get a big enough shower

pop outs are a godsend if you have children

and you should always have lots of hair (even if your old)

Edited by barefoot bob

AND A SAD TRUTH BE IT MOTORHOME BOXTRAILER OR TENT TRAILER THEY ARE MAKING THEM SO FAST THEY ARE FULL OF BUGS AND DEFECTS GET ONe ABOUT A YEAR OLD SAVE THOUSANDS THE REST IS GONNA COME UNGLUED ANYWASE ITS JUST A MATTER OF WHICK ONE COMES UNGLUED THE SLOWEST :rockwoot:

ill have to kindly disagree with you on the shower thing bob.

have you seen the newer walk-around bathrooms in the front bedroom toy haulers? 5th wheel size. I was in a Stellar 28 w/ a walk around bathroom, and I could literally put my arms straight out to the sides and turn around, and not hit anything.

more than big enough, imo

AND A SAD TRUTH BE IT MOTORHOME BOXTRAILER OR TENT TRAILER THEY ARE MAKING THEM SO FAST THEY ARE FULL OF BUGS AND DEFECTS GET ONe ABOUT A YEAR OLD SAVE THOUSANDS THE REST IS GONNA COME UNGLUED ANYWASE ITS JUST A MATTER OF WHICK ONE COMES UNGLUED THE SLOWEST :rockwoot:

Thanks! Great advice! I went looking around here this past week on toy haulers just to get the feel for them and see what options they have on them. The Raptor was really nice, but a little too big for us. It seems like you either go small (well, up to 26 ft) or go big. Doesn't seem to be much in between. I'd like to get something in the 26 ft range and have nice features on it. Holiday Rambler's come out with that Black Diamond series, but no one's got them on their lot! My dad thinks that the 26 ft would be good for us, but he hasn't seen them in person either.

oh God, don't start that again. My hitch is just fine. My truck barely squats now with the new equalizer hitch after the trailer is loaded up. :laughoff:

Kitcat...

-I'd definitely go a little bigger than you need, but don't go TOO BIG.

-Try finding one used first- you will save thousands for the same thing

-Definitley get a front bedroon- they rock! :laughoff:

-built in gennies are very conveinant as well

-try and get a toyhauler that has darker color flooring. Light color linolium (sp?) shows tire marks like crazy :rockwoot:

I've looked at a couple used ones, but none that really impressed me yet. Yeah, like I was saying, seems like the manufacturers either carry the 26 ft with some options or the bigger fifth wheels with lots of options. It's either spend $25K or $45K Plus!!! Not much in between!!!

Yeah, that's one thing I've stressed to my hubby. He thinks we can just get a smaller TH. We did that with our first house. Who knew 2 people could outgrow a 1700 sq ft house!!! We sold that one and now have a house a little too big!

:jester:

Kitcat, let me say you are doing all the right things....asking questions, doing the research, yadda yadda yadda! :thumb:

When we started shopping for our t/h, we were looking for something we could tow with my Burb, didn't even look at the 5th wheels. Already had a 24' travel trailer, but needed transport for the toys we started collecting. The 28' REALLY pushed the tow capacity, so had the salesman looking into getting the queen bunks in a 24' tongue tow. THEN, I just so happened to walk into the Tahoe Transport we now own and knew then and there this was the one!! Told the salesman "I have to buy a truck!" (This was in the spring) Started shopping for the truck online, found one in Orem Utah, won the bid. Shopped online for trailers to compare price, etc., found the EXACT same model in Washington state for $8k cheaper, printed it out, took to Johnnie Walker for a price match and they did!!! All said and done, we walked out of there with the fully upgraded t/h, installed hitch, sales tax, all for $5k less than the original invoice price. Took 6 months but had it out for Halloween weekend 2004.

Moral of the story: Good things happen to those who wait and...

We didn't settle for something we would already be lookin' to replace!!

Kitcat, let me say you are doing all the right things....asking questions, doing the research, yadda yadda yadda! :jester:

When we started shopping for our t/h, we were looking for something we could tow with my Burb, didn't even look at the 5th wheels. Already had a 24' travel trailer, but needed transport for the toys we started collecting. The 28' REALLY pushed the tow capacity, so had the salesman looking into getting the queen bunks in a 24' tongue tow. THEN, I just so happened to walk into the Tahoe Transport we now own and knew then and there this was the one!! Told the salesman "I have to buy a truck!" (This was in the spring) Started shopping for the truck online, found one in Orem Utah, won the bid. Shopped online for trailers to compare price, etc., found the EXACT same model in Washington state for $8k cheaper, printed it out, took to Johnnie Walker for a price match and they did!!! All said and done, we walked out of there with the fully upgraded t/h, installed hitch, sales tax, all for $5k less than the original invoice price. Took 6 months but had it out for Halloween weekend 2004.

Moral of the story: Good things happen to those who wait and...

We didn't settle for something we would already be lookin' to replace!!

Yeah, my hubby and I are looking at all our options. We're usually impatient, but get a good deal. Since we have to wait for our financing, it's good. Forces us to really look at all our options!!!

Yeah, my hubby and I are looking at all our options. We're usually impatient, but get a good deal. Since we have to wait for our financing, it's good. Forces us to really look at all our options!!!

GREAT to have a forum like this to go to, huh!!?? Sweet Site :jester:

Good luck!