THE 2STROKE DIRTBIKE VS. 4 STROKE DIRTBIKES

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOOO can i just get the strait up opinion from everyone now.

I LIKE 2 strokes better

who likes 4 strokes better

Personally I like 4 strokes better. I currently ride a ktm 525 and before that I had a yamaha 426. I have also owned a yz 250 and a kx 500 in the past and those were great. I just got tired of rebuilding the top end every year. Dont get me wrong the 426 still had problems they just wern't as frequent. Although the 426 was a little more $ to repair. So far the only problem the ktm has given me is that when it was brand new it liked to overheat. So after reading the manual and finding out that the bike is set up for riding in austria i chanded the jetting and the needle. Havent had any problems since. knock on wood. Plus I'm lazy and dont like mixing fuel. I like using the same gas that i can put in the generator or my truck if theres any left.

Personally I like 4 strokes better. I currently ride a ktm 525 and before that I had a yamaha 426. I have also owned a yz 250 and a kx 500 in the past and those were great. I just got tired of rebuilding the top end every year. Dont get me wrong the 426 still had problems they just wern't as frequent. Although the 426 was a little more $ to repair. So far the only problem the ktm has given me is that when it was brand new it liked to overheat. So after reading the manual and finding out that the bike is set up for riding in austria i chanded the jetting and the needle. Havent had any problems since. knock on wood. Plus I'm lazy and dont like mixing fuel. I like using the same gas that i can put in the generator or my truck if theres any left.

:slap: Every YEAR? Hell I go through a top end about every 2-3 years w/ my YZ250 and that's duning all year long (Dumont in winter & Coral Pink in summer). You sure your jetting wasn't to lean?

I have never had a problem with mixing fuel. Get 4 gallons of race gas and dump a pint (16oz) of Yamalube in and walla... 32:1. :grin::thumb: Easy enough for me. :slap:

I would just hate to worry about the extra labor and expense of rebuilding a 4 stroke ever few years. :jester: :fro:

Thank the yamaha gods that im going on 4 years with a trouble free engine!!! It is time for a little love though. :D I cant complain. 4 years of pure abuse.. just think what the engineers face would look like if they saw this fat guy riding their 2 wheeler.. they would say it wont last a week... but whadddya know them japs did something right when they designed my bike. :D i cant be happier.

Thank the yamaha gods that im going on 4 years with a trouble free engine!!! It is time for a little love though. :D I cant complain. 4 years of pure abuse.. just think what the engineers face would look like if they saw this fat guy riding their 2 wheeler.. they would say it wont last a week... but whadddya know them japs did something right when they designed my bike. :D i cant be happier.

YEP! :grin::slap: :jester: :thumb:

post-3-1170214233.jpg

:slap: Every YEAR? Hell I go through a top end about every 2-3 years w/ my YZ250 and that's duning all year long (Dumont in winter & Coral Pink in summer). You sure your jetting wasn't to lean?

I have never had a problem with mixing fuel. Get 4 gallons of race gas and dump a pint (16oz) of Yamalube in and walla... 32:1. :grin::thumb: Easy enough for me. :fro:

I would just hate to worry about the extra labor and expense of rebuilding a 4 stroke ever few years. :jester: :laughoff:

well I may have been a bit misleading. I had to rebuild the kx 500 every year for sure and i owned that for 5 years. the yz i only owned for 2 years and rebuilt once. I am using the kx 500 for my basis of comparison for the 2 stroke to 4 stroke. I should have been more clear. I never had a problem with mixing the gas just like you said 32:1 My biggest problem was always mixing to much gas or my "hey i forgot 2-stroke oil" friends "borrowing gas" and then not having enough gas. Since I went to 4 stroke Its never been a problem again. Extra gas goes in the truck. :barf: I definitly agree with you on the extra expense of rebuilding the 4 stroke. I had to replace every gear in the 426 in a span of 2 years and that wasnt cheap. But the top end was fine. :slap: Since I went with the ktm though I have been told things should be better :ahhhhh: only time will tell I guess. I would never talk any one into or out of either one. Its just what I like. :laughoff:

Edited by deuce

I love 2 stroke i will alwasy be a 2 stroke guy but i rode girl with horns dads bike and it was a ktm525 it was nice for electric start but i thought it was a tank.I am also only 140 pounds yay lol.The 2 strokes get rebuilt a lot bbut a 4 stroke needs double the money and motor work when its all said and done.I love the cr500 im buying next year and ima sell my yz250 for a 450 to make a race bike and have the cr500 for the dunes thats my plan hopefully. :jester:

I love 2 stroke i will alwasy be a 2 stroke guy but i rode girl with horns dads bike and it was a ktm525 it was nice for electric start but i thought it was a tank.I am also only 140 pounds yay lol.The 2 strokes get rebuilt a lot bbut a 4 stroke needs double the money and motor work when its all said and done.I love the cr500 im buying next year and ima sell my yz250 for a 450 to make a race bike and have the cr500 for the dunes thats my plan hopefully. :jester:

Its about a 2 - 1 ratio... For every 2 2 stroke rebuilds roughly 200-250 bucks in parts each.. I can rebuild my 4stroke for that.. so you rebuild yours twice i rebuild mine once and we spend about the same amount in parts... Now labor is a whole other story.. :D Either way.. both are great bikes, both have diffrent riding characteristics.. its all a rider prefrence really. :D I love to grunt my 4stroke and i love to wind it out when i can... but i dont know if i could handle the hit of a 2 stroke or ride it like it was meant to be ridden since i grew up in a 4 stroke world. :D

2 stroke all the way for jumping and racing four stroke all the way for up the hill and mile long wheelies lol

anyways i dont understand why peaple argue over the internet its the dumbest thing in the world to do but anyways im not trying to get in a argument here but im just saying that i just turned 15 november and i can probably jump and ride better than a lot of peaple on here im not saying all so no one get affended anyways if anyone wants to see me ride or go ridin im goin this weekend and ill be riding a orange and black ktm 300 2 stroke and a black crf 450r 4 stroke so hit me up :P:P:beercheers::driver:

sorry that this might be off topic

Edited by ktm300kid

2 stroke all the way for jumping and racing four stroke all the way for up the hill and mile long wheelies lol

anyways i dont understand why peaple argue over the internet its the dumbest thing in the world to do but anyways im not trying to get in a argument here but im just saying that i just turned 15 november and i can probably jump and ride better than a lot of peaple on here im not saying all so no one get affended anyways if anyone wants to see me ride or go ridin im goin this weekend and ill be riding a orange and black ktm 300 2 stroke and a black crf 450r 4 stroke so hit me up :P:P:beercheers::DDRrocks:

blah blah blah :laughoff:

:banghead:

4 strokes duhh :D

anyways i dont understand why peaple argue over the internet its the dumbest thing in the world to do but anyways im not trying to get in a argument here but im just saying that i just turned 15 november and i can probably jump and ride better than a lot of peaple on here im not saying all so no one get affended anyways if anyone wants to see me ride or go ridin im goin this weekend and ill be riding a orange and black ktm 300 2 stroke and a black crf 450r 4 stroke so hit me up :P:P:beercheers::DDRrocks:

Can you put a period in once in a while...please? Anyways it's awful hard to read when it's one long winded sentence.

You and the mohawk kid need to get together.....since you both have soooooo much talent. :banghead:

ya no what.. i just rode my friends dirtbike out at armagosa without a paddle.. and its a 4stroke and i had a blast... it was pritty smooth.. and i enjoyed the ride till i threw the dirtbike into a wheely when turning and well it landed on my leg. but it was still hella fun... now i wanna get a 450 but i havnt decided weather i want the 4 stroke or 2 stroke... i would be driving it on the dunes and as a trail bike.. to an extent... i wouldnt really be raceing "much" ;) but to have that adrenaline is what im looking for.. i love my 700r but ive been riding my friends dirtbikes and now i no how they handle on the dunes they are even more fun.. so now im going to get one.. just gotta make up my mind.. but i think i would go to the 4 stroke....

anyways i dont understand why peaple argue over the internet its the dumbest thing in the world to do but anyways im not trying to get in a argument here but im just saying that i just turned 15 november and i can probably jump and ride better than a lot of peaple on here im not saying all so no one get affended anyways if anyone wants to see me ride or go ridin im goin this weekend and ill be riding a orange and black ktm 300 2 stroke and a black crf 450r 4 stroke so hit me up :P:P:thumb::rockwoot:

:DDRrocks: , Damn wasnt it bad enough with one kid like this :idiot:

Edited by dunefreak

anyways i dont understand why peaple argue over the internet its the dumbest thing in the world to do but anyways im not trying to get in a argument here but im just saying that i just turned 15 november and i can probably jump and ride better than a lot of peaple on here im not saying all so no one get affended anyways if anyone wants to see me ride or go ridin im goin this weekend and ill be riding a orange and black ktm 300 2 stroke and a black crf 450r 4 stroke so hit me up :P:P:beercheers::laughing:

:blury:

ya no what.. i just rode my friends dirtbike out at armagosa without a paddle.. and its a 4stroke and i had a blast... it was pritty smooth.. and i enjoyed the ride till i threw the dirtbike into a wheely when turning and well it landed on my leg. but it was still hella fun... now i wanna get a 450 but i havnt decided weather i want the 4 stroke or 2 stroke... i would be driving it on the dunes and as a trail bike.. to an extent... i wouldnt really be raceing "much" ;) but to have that adrenaline is what im looking for.. i love my 700r but ive been riding my friends dirtbikes and now i no how they handle on the dunes they are even more fun.. so now im going to get one.. just gotta make up my mind.. but i think i would go to the 4 stroke....

:blury:

Guys...please click here

anyways i dont understand why peaple argue over the internet its the dumbest thing in the world to do but anyways im not trying to get in a argument here but im just saying that i just turned 15 november and i can probably jump and ride better than a lot of peaple on here im not saying all so no one get affended anyways if anyone wants to see me ride or go ridin im goin this weekend and ill be riding a orange and black ktm 300 2 stroke and a black crf 450r 4 stroke so hit me up :P:P:slap::2cents:

:tapdance: :dance: :dope:

I thought I knew everything and a 4stroke when you want to be in front of the dust and teach a kid a thing or two.

IM ONLY 14 AND I THINK I CAN TEACH SOME GUYS A THING OR 2 I GOT THAT NATURAL TALENT MAN IM JUST A DUNE RIDER AND A 2 STROKE KINDA GUY NO MATTER WHAT YA 450S BEAT ME WHNE IM GEARED DOWN FOR TORQUE BUT WITH MY STOCK GEARING IN I BLOW BY THE 450S

O i kno bro ya being this young and getting asked by other people to race and have other people tell me to race then its kinda kool ill get my chance ya im sure ill have to give up my bike later down the road :(

but thats ok

ill just have to be the old fast guy ona banshee

I kno my skat trak is sh*t but i cant afford anything right now im tryin to just get by i dont have my paretns buy me sh*t for my bike cuz all they do it wine about it and i dont have a job just wait anyone that talked $hit before wait for the cr500 to roll out then talk some ight

HOW BOUT I JUST KICK YOUR a$$ ON THE HILL WITH A RAPTOR 700R YOU TALK TO MUCH sh*t AND ILL FIND A YFZ TO BEAT YOUR a$$ ON 2 IF I NEED TO

Anyone can talk sh*t like you chase you think your hard put up or shut up. Ur never at the dunes anyway so what does it matter ill roll on my moms quad vs your quad ight cocky a$$ ill show you how its done through the dunes and then go past you, and ya those guys were talkin sh*t and laughing so i was like im only 13 ight i dont have tons of money and i dont work

I never knew that there was so many people that talked sh*t my ha ya i dont have anything of my own yet chase you talk a lot of sh*t i dont ride tracks and i dont need 4 wheels to hold me up ok quad riders are kool cuz i used to be one but bikes are better and your like 300 pounds you need some more motor work before you evan think about tracks and illl say what i want to say how ever i say it damn people talk mad sh*t on here o well

I duno evan no anymore god damn, and since i got on this forum i thought it would be tight ya kno i started a topic to get opinions and it turned into a sh*t talk fest ya im cocky and talk sh*t but im not gunna talk sh*t to someone 5 years youger and half the size of me to feel cool

look im done talking sh*t its people who talk sh*t that started it and richard cheese if i had a job if i had my other arm right now ok i have a broken shoulder blade and collar bone with a fractured humerous ok if i could wrench on my bike and everyone i beat i go and talk to be like what you got done to that bike or say something about my weight cuz thats where i beat most people is weight factor CLOSE THIS FORUM this is bull man people on here should get a long i wish people did if you think it needs to be closed then close it ill post one bout something else ight

HELL YA THATS A GOOD OL 4 STROKE FOR YA ALWAYS NEEDIN SOME TYPE OF WORK 2 STROKE POWER BABY 2 STROKE EVER NOTICE WHAT THIS IS A 2 STROKE :mc_smiley:

anyways i dont understand why peaple argue over the internet its the dumbest thing in the world to do but anyways im not trying to get in a argument here but im just saying that i just turned 15 november and i can probably jump and ride better than a lot of peaple on here im not saying all so no one get affended anyways if anyone wants to see me ride or go ridin im goin this weekend and ill be riding a orange and black ktm 300 2 stroke and a black crf 450r 4 stroke so hit me up :P:P :mc_smiley: :mc_smiley:

Come on guys....when I read, or attempt to read, posts like these above....(there's only 2 periods in all that crap) I can only think of one thing....

wtf-lightning2.jpg

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics...even if you win, you're still retarded.

...And anyways, I like both. I myself own two 2-strokes, my KXF Tecate and my RM125 and soon a 250. For the power and I just love the whine and the smell..mmhhmm. But for reliability, 4 strokes are nice. My moms boyfriend has a Raptor 660 and it's got a lot of balls, and you don't have to worry about it blowing every year and everything...but then again a 4 stroke is a bigger repair than a 2. We've been working on my brothers Suzuki 230 which is a 4 stroke for months now.

I like 2 strokes right now though. When I get older I'm sure I'll move into a 4 stroke.

I always hear that 4 strokes kill 2 strokes now, but its always like a 450 against a 250. I say you have to compare equall engine sizes. I think that the 250f should be racing with the 250 2 stroke in supercross. Im a 2 stroke guy and always will cause I love going through the gears and hitting the power band. I do give 4 strokes credit because they have came along way and are realy good running bikes, but there just not for me. As for two strokes getting rebuilt, I have a quad with a 1970 somthing yamaha rd400 motor that had just been sitting for years and all I rebuilt was the top end and its been running for at least 4 seasons now. Now remember this is a air cooled 2 stroke out in the dunes.

Oh ya whats with the fifteen year olds running there mouth, :unsure: im 15 to its nothing special.lol

• 3 weeks later...

woooooo i was just lookin in this topic and noticed me in there lol. Well anyways it must have been my lil brother posting this stuff in here cause he is a sh*t talker and he thinks he is something hes not and any of you who that got the wrong idea about me think again ok peaple sorry about those dum posts. I am gonna go through the other topics making sure he didnt try to get me in to any other arguments lol and the one topic in classifieds that i posted about the ktm 300 for sale that one is really me :drinkbeer: sorry that this was :freakin_nuts:

Edited by ktm300kid

woooooo i was just lookin in this topic and noticed me in there lol. Well anyways it must have been my lil brother posting this stuff in here cause he is a sh*t talker and he thinks he is something hes not and any of you who that got the wrong idea about me think again ok peaple sorry about those dum posts. I am gonna go through the other topics making sure he didnt try to get me in to any other arguments lol and the one topic in classifieds that i posted about the ktm 300 for sale that one is really me :headbang1: sorry that this was :monkeedance2:

To make it easier, click on your profile, then in the top right corner click profile options, then click find member's posts. It will list all your posts starting with the newest first. That way you can check all your posts made recently pretty quick. :offtopic: