Yamaha YFZ450

dreamrr

I am going to have some motor work done on my 2004 Yamaha YFZ450. What do you recommend? I want to be able to beat most people up comp hill at dumont, but I also want to be able to cruse the dunes. So no drag pipes, heavy mods, or anything that will put my quad at risk. I still want reliability, but I want to be fast! I know you peeps know some trix..... Time to share them!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you have for a budget? You can do the cam mod, pipe, filter, jet (on a dyno), change to a kick starte (loose weight). If you want to spend money, you can change cams, port polish, bore, high compression piston, ice cube kit, valve job, valve springs, ect... What do you want to spend depends on what you get (I know you already know that though lol).

If you are willing to spend some bucks call Mark Hargrove at www.kenzcycletech.com they do great work.

hope it was ok to post that link?

I checked out that link. They look like they do good work! I plan on spending some money here and there on the bike. Right now, I am thinking I would like to buy something that is under $300. What do you think the best mod is for under $300. I already have a big gun exhaust.

I checked out that link. They look like they do good work! I plan on spending some money here and there on the bike. Right now, I am thinking I would like to buy something that is under $300. What do you think the best mod is for under $300. I already have a big gun exhaust.

Then go with cams

Then go with cams

Or do the cam mod (which is free), do you have a filter also take it and have it dyno tuned. Between a filter and dyno you will be running better, plus the cam mod being free makes a difference. $300.00 aint much to work with. I think for about $450.00 you can have it port and polished.

I would agree I have a YFZ450 as well, and had Dan at Power House put cams in, and then Dyno it to dial it all in.

Kicking 700's in the booty up comp now without really loosing reliability

Edited by Paul Rob

I had my 450 putting out 62hp on the dino with all external mods. the one that gave me the most was the eldlebrock carb. just the carb and the pipe after it was dino tuned put it up to 57hp.

62 HP with all external mods? :monkeedance2: lol the bike only has 35 out of the box you are telling me you picked up 27 HP just with a pipe, carb, filter? I have alot more done then that and I am putting out 54.2 on SAE and 55.9 on standard. My buddy has a 686 Raptor port polish cams ect.. and he putting out 64 and sorry I am REALLY not trying to be a jerk but 62 HP, that is impossible with just external mods.

Edited by mineurbiz

Buy a filter, you can try the power now (I have one I will sell you half price), get it dyno'd and do the free cam mod. That will probably take care of the bulk of the $300. Save the rest and buy some cam's later.

Here is a link to do the cam mod http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/index.p...0&hl=cammod

What paddles are you running is another thing to look at.

You'll find alot of good info at yfztech.com also.....Semper Fi, Woody :monkeedance2:

That is a good site too

dreamrr, just be prepared there are a lot of people that have internal work done and look like almost stock bikes. I only say this because you may do work to your bike and pull up to what you think is just a piped bike and lose to it.

62 HP with all external mods? :monkeedance2: lol the bike only has 35 out of the box you are telling me you picked up 27 HP just with a pipe, carb, filter? I have alot more done then that and I am putting out 54.2 on SAE and 55.9 on standard. My buddy has a 686 Raptor port polish cams ect.. and he putting out 64 and sorry I am REALLY not trying to be a jerk but 62 HP, that is impossible with just external mods.

lets race for titles if your so sure that its impossible...

OK lets not get upset, I just do not want this guy to get mislead and I never said my bike is fast but you are saying that you gained 27 HP with just bolt on? No internal work no turbo no nothing but pipe filter ect..

Edited by mineurbiz

I call BS on the 62 hp too. There is no way. But Dreamer if all you want to spend is 300 and be the fastest on the hill, I hate to sound rude but keep dreaming. go to http://yfztech.com/ order a fuel customs intake do the cam mod and get it dyno tuned. You will be close to 300 dollers. But if you want more your going to have to go internal. Oh and unless you go big with the motor the cams will only net you 1 hp, and for the 400 its going to cost you I would invest in boring out your FCR carb or buying a better pipe.

My bike is all external and all im putting out is 48.5 hp and I have the dyno sheets to prove it. If you have anymore questions just let me know.

Edited by sandcrab74

I call BS on the 62 hp too. There is no way. But Dreamer if all you want to spend is 300 and be the fastest on the hill, I hate to sound rude but keep dreaming. go to http://yfztech.com/ order a fuel customs intake do the cam mod and get it dyno tuned. You will be close to 300 dollers. But if you want more your going to have to go internal. Oh and unless you go big with the motor the cams will only net you 1 hp, and for the 400 its going to cost you I would invest in boring out your FCR carb or buying a better pipe.

My bike is all external and all im putting out is 48.5 hp and I have the dyno sheets to prove it. If you have anymore questions just let me know.

48.5 HP :coocoo::dunno: sorry thats just too damn funny! :beercheers:

I do know what it takes to be the fastest on the hill. I believe that I did say that I plan on spending money here and there on the bike. I plan on keeping the bike for years and eventually be the one of the faster quads on the hill. But for now, I just need some ideas as to where to start! :banghead:

I think I am going to start with a bigger carb or pistons! Also, What's wrong with my Big Gun pipe?

And.... I am always dreaming! If you don't dream, you can't ever reach those dreams! :think:

I do know what it takes to be the fastest on the hill. I believe that I did say that I plan on spending money here and there on the bike. I plan on keeping the bike for years and eventually be the one of the faster quads on the hill. But for now, I just need some ideas as to where to start! :banghead:

I think I am going to start with a bigger carb or pistons! Also, What's wrong with my Big Gun pipe?

And.... I am always dreaming! If you don't dream, you can't ever reach those dreams! :think:

If you really want to put some money into your bike I would talk to an engine builder first. I talked to Kenz and that is what made me drive to Arizona and have them work on my bike. The main point I think we wanted to get across is that it takes some big bucks to be FAST. The one guys claim of 62 HP with just bolt on's to a bike that is only 35 HP out of the box is pretty unrealistic. Ask Sand_YFZ or 1BADYFZ, they both have fast bikes and can tell you what it would take to get a YFZ to 62HP. You might also talk to KBR, those two and Kenz are very experienced with 450's, along with some other builders.

I'll race you for titles and 1,000$ if your serious. I'll even give you a 3 bike head start and 2 out of 3 runs... :think:

All i got is a 59Hp stock bore YFZ so your 62 Hp bike should whipp me up...

In all seriousness your looking at over 10K for a bike to be the baddest on the hill, or atleast hold the 1st place title for years ..Even to be remotly fast your looking at atleast 3K for motor work and chassis set up..

I'll race you for titles and 1,000$ if your serious. I'll even give you a 3 bike head start and 2 out of 3 runs... :think:

All i got is a 59Hp stock bore YFZ so your 62 Hp bike should whipp me up...

In all seriousness your looking at over 10K for a bike to be the baddest on the hill, or atleast hold the 1st place title for years ..Even to be remotly fast your looking at atleast 3K for motor work and chassis set up..

lol you can have a dune bike and keep your hillshooter now with that race and also buy beers!!!

dont forget to tell him about the oil mod it seems that it would be especially important to do the oil mod on a modiffied bike hell yamaha changed it on stock bikes so it should be a definite change for the modded bikes. go check out pdr in the yfztech site he has a complete bolt on kit that you can do without having to drill a certain size hole in a certain place like some of threads i have read on this subject. i already ordered one and my bike is nothing special

dont forget to tell him about the oil mod it seems that it would be especially important to do the oil mod on a modiffied bike hell yamaha changed it on stock bikes so it should be a definite change for the modded bikes. go check out pdr in the yfztech site he has a complete bolt on kit that you can do without having to drill a certain size hole in a certain place like some of threads i have read on this subject. i already ordered one and my bike is nothing special

I had it done to mine also, but from everything that I have learned you do not have to do it unless you do internal work. Still I agree that I would have it done regardless.