BFG's or Nittos? need some input

dunefreak

I am looking to get some new tires for my truck within the next month or so. I am currently running Toyo M/T 33x12.5x18's. I would like to get away from the mud terrains because I have found that they cup too damn easy and wear like crap if you don't rotate them enough. So, with that said, I am leaning towards either BFG All Terrain KO's or Nitto Terra Grappler AT's. I would like to stay E- rated and as close to the size I am running now. I am thinking either 285/65/18's or maybe even the 305/65/18's. Those 2 sizes are a bit smaller and bigger than the 33x12.5's so I'll have to do some research to see which one to go with. :MBdance:

So my question is this....

What are your personal experiences with these tires. Noisy? Wear?

(btw: I have an 05 DMAX 3500 with the torsions turned up. ;) )

I didnt have near the WEIGHT on my AT's on the 1/4 ton but they were quiet and wore very well.. 15k miles w/ 1 rotation and they still looked damn near brand new.. aside from the chunks missing cuz my fenders ate them from being too big..

Been using BFG for years and will not change from what works for me. I have used them for towing, rock crawling, touring etc. Wear nice, run quite, strong as heck sidewalls, good warranty and you can find them fairly cheap with the volume they sell.

I have always put BFG's on my trucks but my last truck was a 05 F-250 and I put 33 in Nitto's on. I pulled a 40 ft. 5th wheel rampage with this truck. I liked the way the tires handles pulling and daily driving but they wore down fast. I traded that truck in and when I lift my new one I will go with a BFG again because I know I can get more miles out of that tire. As far as the noise...I didn't notice any difference from the nitto all terrain to the BFG at's.

Edited by Shaun

I have had both Nitto's (now) and BFG's, I don't think that you can go wrong with either one IMO. I love the ride and the feel of these Nitto's, but I have not had them long enough to tell the wear. BFG's seem like a little bit harder tire and a little slippery in the rain, where the Nitto's seem to grab better. The Nitto's also seem to be a little bit quieter on the road noise side too. But like I said both are a very nice tire and which ever route you go, I think you will be happy.

I am looking to get some new tires for my truck within the next month or so. I am currently running Toyo M/T 33x12.5x18's. I would like to get away from the mud terrains because I have found that they cup too damn easy and wear like crap if you don't rotate them enough. So, with that said, I am leaning towards either BFG All Terrain KO's or Nitto Terra Grappler AT's. I would like to stay E- rated and as close to the size I am running now. I am thinking either 285/65/18's or maybe even the 305/65/18's. Those 2 sizes are a bit smaller and bigger than the 33x12.5's so I'll have to do some research to see which one to go with. :MBdance:

So my question is this....

What are your personal experiences with these tires. Noisy? Wear?

(btw: I have an 05 DMAX 3500 with the torsions turned up. ;) )

I agree Pete those tires wear real fast...25,000 miles on mine from towing and daily driving rotated 4 times and still wearing fast. They grip real good though little tough to break loose and when they do go they grip again quick. My brother runs the BFG's and he lives on a dirt road in Pahrump. He said they grab the rocks to much and throw them into the fenders and side of the truck but i have never used them to tell ya anything bad or good. 1 thing is to stay away from those Pro Comp tires they really suck bad!!!! post what ya get as i am going to need a set within the next 4 months or so.

Capt

Edited by CaptNkllm

im ready to but im going toyos there like a long lasting bfg . all i ever ran was bfgs i still think there a great tire. but 40,000 miles comes quick . mudders or ats 40 -45 thousand :MBdance:

sorry to hear about your toyos giving you headaches .i hope my next set doesnt do that ?? this is my first go round with toyos. :MBdance:

Edited by barefoot bob

65000 miles on my toyos minimul rotation and still have life :laughoff: bfgs are awsome for 40,000 miles . minimul rotation no noise awsom tracstion. but when they hit 40,000 they start cupping and there basicly shot.

65000???? :laughoff: WTF? :laughoff:

I have approx. 26000 miles on mine and they are junk. They began cupping and wearing like chit at about 18000 miles. :laughoff:

if you are done with the toyos, go with the nitto,s :laughoff: why not run the toyos but the non m/t? my buddy runs those and he has had good luck with them.

I don't like the Toyo A/T's. They look really plain- almost like a street radial. I'd like something with a little more "sidewall tread".

I have approx. 26000 miles on mine and they are junk. They began cupping and wearing like chit at about 18000 miles. :laughoff:

I don't like the Toyo A/T's. They look really plain- almost like a street radial. I'd like something with a little more "sidewall tread".

Pete I talked to my friend that runs a Discount Tire about wear. He said the Chevy's due to having the IFS tend to wear the Toyo's more than those of us with the straight axels. I know I have more miles on mine than you and mine are still half half their life left. I know Criag had the Nitto Terra Graplers on his old chevy. He liked the tire but thought they seemed to wear quick.

What tire pressure do you run in the Toyo's? Also rule of thumb to get the most tire life out of any tire is to rotate them every other oil change. If you buy your tires at Discount, I think they come with free rotations too.

Let me know and I will get you in touch with my friend at Discount to get you the best deal when you are ready.

Pete I talked to my friend that runs a Discount Tire about wear. He said the Chevy's due to having the IFS tend to wear the Toyo's more than those of us with the straight axels. I know I have more miles on mine than you and mine are still half half their life left. I know Criag had the Nitto Terra Graplers on his old chevy. He liked the tire but thought they seemed to wear quick.

What tire pressure do you run in the Toyo's? Also rule of thumb to get the most tire life out of any tire is to rotate them every other oil change. If you buy your tires at Discount, I think they come with free rotations too.

Let me know and I will get you in touch with my friend at Discount to get you the best deal when you are ready.

Yeah that is what I started to think. The IFS plays a part in the cupping. :laughoff: Thanks for the connection. I'll let ya know when I'm ready. :laughoff:

Tell me something I don't know. :laughoff: I was doing that and still have problems.

I am usually running 55-60 psi for towing.

I did too.....when they were new.

I run the BFG AT's 315x70Rx17's. The great thing about these tires in this size is that the H3 comes stock with them. With that said.....you don't see many H3's running stock tires. Most Hummer dealers will sell the tires and rims brand new at highly reduced rates. I noticed you are running 18's. The H3 rims will also bolt right up! Just my :laughoff: woth!!!!

I run the BFG AT's 315x70Rx17's. The great thing about these tires in this size is that the H3 comes stock with them. With that said.....you don't see many H3's running stock tires. Most Hummer dealers will sell the tires and rims brand new at highly reduced rates. I noticed you are running 18's. The H3 rims will also bolt right up! Just my :laughoff: woth!!!!

Thanks Dave, but with the money I have already spend on my wheels I'd like to stay with them. I like them better anyways. I hear what your saying though. You could get your hands on some take offs pretty cheap I'm sure.

Aren't those like 35's? Those come on H3's? I thought they were 305's that came on the H2, not H3. :laughoff:

i think i agree with pete....i think you meant to say H2's. the H3 rims are a 6 bolt pattern. I hve the H2 rims on my truck with 315/70/17's, different brand than being talked about though :laughoff:

i've got 30,000 miles on them, and look to be about 50-60% done...no cupping issues as of yet

Pete, I just thought of this....... MAYBE yours wore out quick because you bought them from "The Bad Boy".... :laughoff:

I have had both, I currently have the Nitto X-Terrain as you saw Pete

The BFG all-terrains are definatley louder, and they will cup like hell with the IFS, and will come apart when you ignore that cupping and then wobling :coocoo:

So I say Nitto, and yeah they may be a softer tire, and they may wear out sooner than later, but I am happy with them so far.. I went 15,000 without a rotation and just barely saw the feathering and cupping.

If I get at least 35,000 which I think I will, I'd be happy