caution tape

thats not true....go to the baby dunes then... its not cool to tape off any dunes, bathrooms, etc... if your so worried about your kids having a dune to ride on safely without interuption, then go somewhere where its all kids, IE Baby Dunes.... dont ruin everyone elses experience because your too egotistical to sacrifice your big dune time for your kids fun.... dunno if egotistical is the right word, but still i hope you all get the point...

and you talk a bout common sense, if your taping/marking off the finger dunes your asking to get someone in your camp hurt.... maybe you have a lack of common sense?

Well just bring that kind of a attitude and you wil soon find out!!!

I dont think you have the smallest clue what youll be infor.

We have been going to dumont longer then most.in the 70`s and 80`s and you diddnt have to put the tape up but now days 3/4 of the ppl there are new to the sport 20yrs of duning or less. big hp and no brain. they think that its all 1 big party. well got news for ya there are alot of old school ppl that dont take kindly to disrespect. most of us come to have a good time. were not going to GO TO THE BABY DUNES just because some DUMB a$$`s think it`s cool to rip through other ppls camp sites at 50mph with ppl cars and kids

if your taping/marking off the finger dunes your asking to get someone in your camp hurt..

BLM RULES The maximum speed limit is 15 miles per hour within 50 feet of camps and staging areas.

hate to brake it to ya but when its crowded thats the whole finger area

you thing that taping off the same side accross the top of the finger so ppl dont come accross into annother camp is wrong. just see what would happen if it wasent taped off and a bike car or quad hit a kid in someone camp..... i think you really confuzed if it wouldnt be a bad thing.

Edited by DeToXiC1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hate to brake it to ya but when its crowded thats the whole finger area

you thing that taping off the same side accross the top of the finger so ppl dont come accross into annother camp is wrong. just see what would happen if it wasent taped off and a bike car or quad hit a kid in someone camp..... i think you really confuzed if it wouldnt be a bad thing.

if it wasnt marked off you wouldnt have to worry about it.... go in the open and mark off a spot then.... and if your kids wanna go on a ride take them with you when you go or make a special "kids" trip... and if the fingers werent marked off people wouldnt have to go down the side of them and through camps to avoid a marked off area... i mean come on

thats just it we dont mark off the road of the finger you can drive all you want down the finger just not into the camp....?

thats what im saying, people dont do it intentionaly, its the people that mark off the top that make it impossible not to drive through someones camp that marked off the base of it... know what i mean?

its like this.............

Finger dune ____________OHV _________markers at the top

................................. :beercheers: ................(.........................)...........................

............................................................(.........................)...........................

............................................................(.........................)...........................

............................................................(Markers all down the side from the top)...

...................(Someones camp at base)..........................................................

...................................................................................................................

hope it makes sense.... but see how marking off the top means a rail,quad,bike, rhino, etc.. might end up in a camp at the base of the fingers cause of the top being marked off??? thats what this thread was meant to say basically... and since i had fun doing that, heres what the blocked off bathroom looked like from an aerial view lol :monkeedance2:

......-Sand ===-RV/Vehicles #-Bathroom#9 over pres day weekend

............................===..===................................................

.......................===...........===................===.===..............

....................===.................===..........===.......===...........

....................===........#.......===.................===..................

.......................===...........===..........===..===...................

............................===.===....................===.......................

............................................................................................

something like that then the finger dunes were down in this area :thumb:

Edited by clowncrazie88

Alright, I'll give my opinion.....I think it is quite stupid to tape off all the way to the top of the finger dune.....that doesn't leave much room for anyone to ride by.....so, if your sh*tty tape and cones get run down, oh well, get some exercise and put it back up......just bring plenty of tape, because I'll run over those stupid things any day to avoid running into another rider coming in the opposite direction. And by the way, if kids aren't smart enough to stay away from the top of the finger dune, with tape or no tape, when everyone knows what goes on up there, don't you think maybe the "PARENTS" should teach their kids how to be safe?????? I think those parents who put tape up on the finger dune simply just want there kids to stay busy, that way they don't have to deal with them......Here's a tip: don't have kids if you don't have time for them..... or find a babysitter that will actually pay attention to them and their safety. :beercheers:

don't have kids if you don't have time for them..... or find a babysitter that will actually pay attention to them and their safety.

sounds like you dont have kids...as for our camp my wife dont ride and my 2 1/2 yr old and my 8 yr old both ride we go off road camping just about every week end up and down cali. and nev. the camping IS FOR THE KIDS....the tape gos up because ppl think that its cool, to cut right through camp at 30mph like last pres day and ran right into one of the kids in camp knocked him down and just kept going no IM SORRY, MY BAD< ARE YOU OK nothin SH*T like this is Y PPL put tape and Race flags up.. because the lack of respect for others may be some day the dunes will go back to when you didnt have prob`s like this

man! the whole point here is simply dont mark off areas normaly ridden on. the only thing here about riding through camp is when part of the finger is considered a camp which is wrong. ever heard of an easement? everyone should be able to cross over without worrying about someones camp. even on big weekends there is plenty of room to camp away from all the chaos if you dont want to be near it. just makes for a longer ride to the dunes.

believe me. this wasn't meant to be anti kid here. hell, i have a 1 year old grandaughter now and she has been to the dunes twice already. but she is never going to play near a finger dune or anywhere else people normaly ride.

believe me. this wasn't meant to be anti kid here. hell, i have a 1 year old grandaughter now and she has been to the dunes twice already. but she is never going to play near a finger dune or anywhere else people normaly ride.

se this shows Dave has a lot of common sense :)

The kid don't need to be at the top of the dunes,tape also doesn't need to be at the top. if you leave room at the top so ppl can pass by with out having to manuver around the tape thev will no be in your camp. if you have little ones than you should be watching them all the time so ppl dont get to close to them. I can promis you that you nock one of my kids down by runing threw my camp I will be :thumb: :monkeedance2: :laughoff::finger: your a$$ there will be none of this :beercheers: it is a respect thing, and ppl don't have it anymore!

The kid don't need to be at the top of the dunes,tape also doesn't need to be at the top. if you leave room at the top so ppl can pass by with out having to manuver around the tape thev will no be in your camp. if you have little ones than you should be watching them all the time so ppl dont get to close to them. I can promis you that you nock one of my kids down by runing threw my camp I will be :thumb: :monkeedance2: :laughoff::finger: your a$$ there will be none of this :beercheers: it is a respect thing, and ppl don't have it anymore!

THIS is my point exactly thank you

You just look at the poor sole at glamis week before last was going 65 mph right by the camping area and hit a kiddy rutt flipped severl times with the whole family in the car.. and the driver was killed....

this is the kind of thing that flags help prevent (caution ) there are ppl around....

Now you brought up another sore subject that should probably be the start of another thread......

Just this weekend at Amargosa one of our riders hit one of those abandoned kiddy tracks and she broke her wrist in 3 places!! :headbang: Ouch!! .....and she wasn't going over 10mph. This one was the end of our close calls with kiddy tracks.....I can't count how many close calls we've had with those booby traps! :rockwoot:

I have no problem with taped off kiddy tracks...but don't be so lazy as to leave it as is when you roll up and go home. After that incident I noticed a bunch of kiddy tracks left by kids and more importantly their parents......doesn't seem very responsible to me either! :headbang:

When my kid was that age I made sure I took a shovel out and buried the berms and ruts before going home.....and NO my kid never played on the fingers when he was that small. I'm not willing to take stupid chances with his life.

Edited by cmyfirepole

I'm with you on the kiddy tracks if you make it cover it !!!!!

if you run a trailer or a truck a motorhome in one of those land mines and broke a axle

because of someone's stupied ness and lack of respect for others :rockwoot: .people need to be responsable for them selfs and there camp site but like always people just think it is not there respablity to do anything but go out and have a good time .But at what expence most of the time it is at other ppls expence. We all now that big brother would like nothing more than to shut down all the places to ride so that ppl have no where to go. If ppl don't take the responsablity for them selfs that big brother will and they will close it for all of us and the ppl that are to blame will just say it wasn't my fault we didn't do it.

{IT's A RESPECT THING PPL DON'T HAVE IT ANYMORE}

ya, i forgot about the kiddie tracks. those are a killer. a few years ago my daughter was riding across the flats after most everyone had left and her boyfriend was way behind on my warrior trying to catch up and he hit one of those and went flying a mile in the air. only a sprained wrist and bent handle bar but could have been alot worse. it sure looked nasty. :(

Now you brought up another sore subject that should probably be the start of another thread......

Just this weekend at Amargosa one of our riders hit one of those abandoned kiddy tracks and she broke her wrist in 3 places!! :laughoff: Ouch!! .....and she wasn't going over 10mph. This one was the end of our close calls with kiddy tracks.....I can't count how many close calls we've had with those booby traps! :laughoff:

I have no problem with taped off kiddy tracks...but don't be so lazy as to leave it as is when you roll up and go home. After that incident I noticed a bunch of kiddy tracks left by kids and more importantly their parents......doesn't seem very responsible to me either! :laughoff:

When my kid was that age I made sure I took a shovel out and buried the berms and ruts before going home.....and NO my kid never played on the fingers when he was that small. I'm not willing to take stupid chances with his life.

I agree 100% My wife has crashed twice on kiddy tracks and thankfully did not break anything but she did get KO'd Its just Plane LAZY YOUHAVE A FRICKEN SHOVEL TO BUILD COVER THEM UP WHEN YOU LEAVE, PS AND TAKE YOUR FRICKEN TRASH WITH YOU TOO.. ok im done but hatnks

:laughoff::beercheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I feel inclined to put in my 2 cents here. I too have two boys, ages 4 and 7. Both ride and under no circumstances are allowed to play anywhere near the dunes unless we are riding together. This whole taping off dunes and flat areas really gets me fired up. This last trip I was out on a ride with my 7 year old who was on his LT80. We came to a small 40' wide opening between two camps occupied by people who (being the rocket scientist that they are) used STEEL T-STAKES to rope off the dunes. Well my son had a little trouble getting straight over the top decided to angle his climb. He made it a few feet from the top and started sliding down sideways, narrowly missing those steel stakes that those idiots put into the side of the dunes. fortunately he missed the stakes, but I assure you had he not I would own somebody's new toys from that camp after they got out of the hospital.

My camp group consist of about 15 other families and we all feel the same about people roping off the dunes. I was so unhappy after this last trip I decided to e-mail the Barstow BLM office to voice my concerns. I explained that not only is roping off the dunes and surrounding areas unfair to all of us who pay to use the land, but it also unsafe. I am supprised that nobody has been seriously injured or killed due to this behavior whether it be from impailment on a steel stake or god forbid somebody hitting a child playing in a roped off area of a dune. This was his reply

"Mr. Devin Peck,

>

>Our team has identified this a a problem that must be dealt with and has

>referred it to the Technical Review Team for a recommended solution. In

>times past coning off an area was acceptable practice as crowds were small

>and space was not a factor. Our sport is growing and space at Dumont is

>now a major consideration for the health and safety of our users. We have

>identified and are working to put rules in place to resolve this issue and

>educate those who are doing it. Thank you for your interest in Dumont

>Dunes and we hope to resolve this issue in the very near future. Please

>feel free to respond directly to this e-mail address if you have further

>questions."

Larry_Blaine@ca.blm.gov

Please feel free to voice your concerns to him. I think we all need to voice our opinions..........we all do afterall pay to use this land.

...I decided to e-mail the Barstow BLM office to voice my concerns. I explained that not only is roping off the dunes and surrounding areas unfair to all of us who pay to use the land, but it also unsafe. I am supprised that nobody has been seriously injured or killed due to this behavior whether it be from impailment on a steel stake or god forbid somebody hitting a child playing in a roped off area of a dune. This was his reply

"Mr. Devin Peck,

>

>Our team has identified this a a problem that must be dealt with and has

>referred it to the Technical Review Team for a recommended solution. In

>times past coning off an area was acceptable practice as crowds were small

>and space was not a factor. Our sport is growing and space at Dumont is

>now a major consideration for the health and safety of our users. We have

>identified and are working to put rules in place to resolve this issue and

>educate those who are doing it. Thank you for your interest in Dumont

>Dunes and we hope to resolve this issue in the very near future. Please

>feel free to respond directly to this e-mail address if you have further

>questions."

Larry_Blaine@ca.blm.gov

Please feel free to voice your concerns to him. I think we all need to voice our opinions..........we all do afterall pay to use this land.

I emailed him at the beginning of this thread...when it started....and asked what the BLM's position was on roping off the dunes....... I never received a response. But your response is nice to know.

where is Terry at???

Terry is this true has your group heard from them as he states.... :angry:

Let us know

Sorry didn't see the post until today. Yes it was brought up at the TRT meeting. We have a sub group looking at what we want to do about the roping off of areas. I think it would be hard to enforce putting up tape to save space until late Sat.(if people didn't show up). Even then we know how intrusive a visit from a ranger could/can be. I don't want new rules but it looks like we will get some. As for the metal stakes I am sure they will be bringing forth a new rule regarding steel/rebar type stakes. It is a hazard!

When the subject was brought up I had a feeling that somebody must have called BLM on the carpet about it. I have seen stakes on the flats but not on the fingers. Usually they use cones but I am sure there are those people that put metal stakes in and cover them with a cone.

I do believe saving space is an unenforceable rule and could be a reason for LEO intrusion to find other problems in camp IE: glass bottles,etc. For that reason i suggested that we consider just the stake problem for right now. I will post the trt minutes as soon as I get a link from the Sect. of the TRT.

Thanks,

Sandemon just returned from the meeting, and rules of taping / coneing off areas are coming.

Only a certain distance from your specific rig will be allowed. I do 15 feet, don't remember what John said but

It will be enforced.

A few weeks ago we had no choice but to ride through taped off areas. It has gotten ridiculous. Two entire fingers were taped off from the top of the finger to the top on another finger,, the entire flat camp area between.

Also minmum ages of drivers of golf carts and Rhino type vehicles is coming, which is really needed. I've seen 3 years olds behind them like they're power wheels, and had one slam into the side of our RV.

The parents havent paid us yet for the repairs, and we don't expect them tto short of small claims court.

Hate to see rules because then they spread like a cancer and start including other things as well over time. But the tape and cones have gone too far.

I cone out about 15 feet because people come very close to our RV and I don't want one of the kids getting hit walking oround it. We usually camp some distance out,, and they still buzz us.

This season I collected more glass bottles across the dunes than all other past years combined, and we went few times this year. I'd love to see stricter enforcement fo the glass issue.

139avatarwipe_jpg.gif

Edited by Dime Store Hood

Let's not get crazy with the rules thing. Before you know it Dumont will be like Glamis and that would suck. As far as people taping off camps, If they don't do it using some common sense they will have people running thru there camp. I completely disagree with the age thing but that being said the parents must be held responsible for their childrens actions. In a way it doesn't matter because alot of the rules are not enforced anyway. Remember, Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

The thing that amazes me Don is that when I get up early at Dumont, people walking their dogs want to talk over coffee.

Experience it all the time, especially at the Little Dunes.

I chat with them and I hear their Glamis Horror stories, and why these incidences drove them to Dumont.

Then sometime later, their camp is doing the nonsense that they claimed ran them outta Glamis to Dumont in the first place.

Nothing like a drunken 9 year old in a dune buggie running over our campfire and beach chairs, a 6 year old in a 2000lb ez go golf cart center punching my Prowler,,, seen it, and we'll see it again.

At least the rules can get the un-attending un responsible parents locked up.

Rules are for everybody but them.

139avatarwipe_jpg.gif

Edited by Dime Store Hood

I disagree with what you say sanddemon said. I do believe there will be restrictions but highly enforced is another question. We want to see the use of metal stakes banned and a reasonable amount of space saved. But how do you write a ticket to a camp of 15 rigs for being more than 15' or 10' (depending the rule) inside their caution tape? This was my point at the meeting. We don't need any more rules that can not be reasonably enforced. I think the LEO's have enough to do without being out enforcing a rule that they have to use a measuring tape to check. I for one will be against that happening.

The golf cart/rhino issue is another story. Just like at Coral pink the parents tell the kid to lie about their age if they are actually younger than the law allows. I would rather see a helmet law than an age requirment. Maybe anyone younger than 18 would have to wear a helmet? :smiley: