caution tape

There isn't a helmet law now and I really don't think there needs to be one. The TRT is a good idea but it really needs to look at the desires of all duners and not just a few or what the members personally think. Too many laws are made by personal opinion instead of by what the majority wants. We don't need a bunch of new rules. That is my opinion.We don't need rules that protect people from themselves. If kids cause accidents on vehicles then the parents should be held responsible but we should not legistate for irresponsibilty. I see alot of kids ridng golfcarts having a good time and not bothering anybody without helmets. Why should we punish the majority for the acts of a few.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that crap that people put up on the finger dunes should be dealt with. It is already illegal to set booby traps. I think if the Rangers would talk to people we probably wouldn't need new rules. But I do agree it is a safety hazard at times.

how bout them cones on the fingerdunes.. LOL!!! i hate it when i cant see in the middle of the night and i accidently run them over...

Yeah...and they seem to multiply every time you run them over.... :thumbsdown:

:smiley:

I disagree with what you say sanddemon said. I do believe there will be restrictions but highly enforced is another question. We want to see the use of metal stakes banned and a reasonable amount of space saved. But how do you write a ticket to a camp of 15 rigs for being more than 15' or 10' (depending the rule) inside their caution tape? This was my point at the meeting. We don't need any more rules that can not be reasonably enforced. I think the LEO's have enough to do without being out enforcing a rule that they have to use a measuring tape to check. I for one will be against that happening.

The golf cart/rhino issue is another story. Just like at Coral pink the parents tell the kid to lie about their age if they are actually younger than the law allows. I would rather see a helmet law than an age requirment. Maybe anyone younger than 18 would have to wear a helmet? :laughoff:

The caution tape gripe is when it stretches an unreasonable distance from the camped RV's.

People take whole 10 football field size areas beyond their camp area, from finger to finger.

The author of this thread is right on with their gripe about the tape.

Also a 3 year old behind the wheel of a 19 MPH 2000lb easy go is crazy. The child could easily kill someone.

Sandemon has the best, most convincing arguement for tape / age restrictions.

Many who gripe about the most about rules never show to the meetings. I'm all for them and back Sandemon 100%.

I also want 1 hour daily where only I'm allowed to ride, and the rest of you have to stay in your RV's, no beer or TV or candy.

If you don't drink beer, then no talking.

Then, like the roller rink, it's couples only,, then girls on the dunes only,, then everybody does the hokey pokey on quads at the rockpile.

Edited by Dime Store Hood

I did it thru a big straw... i think it was 1/2" flexhose w/ a funnel built for a 6pack and a pvc ball valve for good measure.. :D

I remember those days......3 people could get wasted on a 6 pack!!! :thumb:

Then I acquired stomach problems....

Been there Done that Don!! wasnt fun... especially cuz we did it at the river in the middle of the summer and drank way to much waaay to fast and we were miserable for the following week..

Wow! This is a GREAT discussion.

There are actually two things being talked about now... may have to split them off in a bit but for now...

First, I'd like to clarify something.

Friends of Dumont Dunes is lucky enough to have two of its leadership board sitting on the Technical Review Team. John (aka Sandemon) is a FoDD board member and is the FoDD representative on the TRT. Terry (aka Ynot) is the Vice President of FoDD and is the Las Vegas representative on the TRT.

I spoke to John last night about what was brought up to the newly formed rules committee, and first I want to assure everyone that no decisions have been made. In fact, the discussions have only just begun and decisions are a long ways off.

That said, two things were brought up by the BLM as having been raised by dune users:

1) Roping off/saving spaces.

2) Golf cart passenger limits.

I also recreate at Glamis and there is a "no saving spaces" rule in place there. It's not a very good rule because it has been used by strong-arm law enforcement officers to roust harmless families who aren't saving spaces but are merely protecting their belongings. There is no differentiation, no description, no minimum or maximum space allowed, nothing. That leaves it up to the law enforcement officer and honey, I don't know about anyone else but I'm sure not comfortable with that.

So... if I read these comments right, saving spaces (and espcially DUNE space of all things) is a very real problem, to quite a few people it seems. I would say the best thing to do then would be to come up with something that would actually be a workable solution. We can't put our fingers in our ears and pretend this isn't going to be addressed one way or another... FoDD can recommend that it be dropped but if the BLM gets enough user complaints they'll use their imagination and make a rule. Probably one we won't like very much.

Now... I'm not saying that we will have to live with one, but if we did have to live with a rule regarding saving spaces, what should it be?

Marking spots? Designating a certain square footage per trailer/motorhome?

Vicki

Edited by SailAway

Now, as for the issue of number of passengers on golfcarts and/or side-by-sides (Rhinos, Arctic Cats, Rangers, etc.)...

I want to say that I can absolutely understand the knee-jerk reaction I have been reading here. Many of us have seen kids piled on these things and wondered who was going to come limping back to camp with a broken arm. Of course, many of us have said the same thing about the new kid on the quad, or the ones trying to run down the face of a steep dune.

But let's say Suzy witnesses, firsthand, a golfcart piled with teenagers heading out of camp and she feels the icy chill of concern pass over her. She has not, however, seen, firsthand, any indication that there are increased injuries or deaths due to overloaded multi-passenger vehicles.

Still, Suzy says to herself, it's obviously a disaster waiting to happen.

Better make a rule.

Now... let's say Tom next to her is looking the other way and doesn't see the golfcart piled with teenagers. Instead, he sees the buggy doing a wheelie and he feels the icy chill of concern as he watches. He hasn't, however, seen anything firsthand indicating that wheelies have caused an increase in deaths or injuries.

Still, Tom says to himself, it's obviously a disaster waiting to happen.

Better make a rule.

Is this what we want at Dumont?

Vicki

Edited by SailAway

I don't think the problem is so much of saving space for campers as much as roping off the dunes.

I agree with Don....that seems to be the problem. I don't care about saving space...but roping off a dune is just wrong in my book. :laughing:

Nothing like a drunken 9 year old in a dune buggie running over our campfire and beach chairs, a 6 year old in a 2000lb ez go golf cart center punching my Prowler,,, seen it, and we'll see it again.

There are already rules, laws actually, that would cover these infractions. A drunken 9 year old? That's easy to cite. Even if it's just an out of control 9 year old, same as the 6 year old on the golf cart those are also easy to cite.

Reckless driving comes to mind of course but the really easy one is these children driving unsupervised and quite possibly out without their proof that they have passed the lawfully required California certification.

Enforce the current laws and none of that would have happened... no new laws needed.

I believe that any age limit rules "we" would come up with would be purely subjective and is that what we want? Who would be the one in charge of deciding what the age should be and what would be the criteria for such a thing?

I remember visiting a camp once when a buggy full of what at first glance appeared to be midgets pulled into camp with considerable skill. On closer inspection it wasn't a buggy full of midgets but rather it was a buggy full of 10 and 11 year olds who, at that early age, could outdrive more than just a few of the older drivers out there. Why? Because these were children of buggy builders and Glamis devotees who had been raised in the sand and on those machines. It would be terribly unfair to eliminate Rhinos from those 10 year olds just because someone is afraid something "might" happen if we don't.

Right now the Consumer Product Safety Commission is trying to do exactly what is being suggested here, except across the board. What makes us any different if we follow that same path... what makes any of us think once we start down that slippery slope we'll be able to stop it before someone decides we need to make a new Dumont rule against anyone under 15 riding a Banshee... because they were struck once by a careless kid?

Vicki

Edited by SailAway

• 2 months later...

Reading all this stuff goes to show you how much dunning has changed over the years for the worst (imo). There is a lack of consideration for other people. I don't see a problem puting flags,markers etc..... at the top of the finger dunes to let people know not to come flying over. There is 40,000 acers of sand out there and you have to ride on the finger dunes.I don't care if you MH cost 500grand or 500bucks nobody likes an inconsiderate ahole running through your camp. I noticed some of the biggest jerks are they guys with the 100.000 sand car ripping back and forth right next to your camp.