bad ending to a good vacation

sandqueen

I just wanted to share pictures with you of what happened last night on the way home from Dumont. My hubby and 3 of his friends were involved in an accident at about 8:15pm at Grand Ave where the 57 & 60 fwys come together (Diamond Bar, CA). Everyone is ok, couple of bumps and bruises but that's it. Thank God!! Brian (hubby) and Phillip are really shaken up, they saw the whole thing happen pretty much in slow motion right in front of them.

Details.....

Tony was driving the Harley F250 truck (David was passenger) towing the trailer with the sandrail in it, a girl came on the freeway and lost control of her car and hit Tony 2 times. Tony went head on with the wall doing about 50-55mph, the trailer flipped over on the drivers side. Brian was driving the dually (Phillip was passenger) behind them towing our trailer with the quads in it. Luckily the way it all played out Tony's quick thinking and reactions saved them and other drivers from it being a lot worse and Brian was able to control his truck and trailer and swerve out of the way to avoid hitting Tony and the trailer and anyone else. The girl completely admitted to Tony & the CHP what happened and that she was at fault. The truck and trailer are totaled for sure. Not sure yet about the sandrail. They are getting the trailer back today from the tow yard so they can look more into the extent of the damages.

God was definitely watching over them last night. It could have been so much worse. I said a prayer as soon as I got to the accident and thanked God for keeping them safe. Life really can change in the blink of an eye.

post-38-1201294149_thumb.jpg

post-38-1201294208_thumb.jpg

post-38-1201294253_thumb.jpg

post-38-1201294296_thumb.jpg

Head on into a wall at 50-55?? Im assuming they were wearing seatbelts, thanks goodness. Im glad to hear everyone survived. Did they at least go to the hospital and get checked out? Im guessing they are REALLY sore today. Thats quite an impact at that speed.

Thanks for sharing michelle.

Thank you! They felt ok last night, they were up and walking around like nothing. The passenger was wearing his seatbelt. He went to the hospital this morning cuz his ribs were really hurting him. The driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt and he said he is feeling good today. We all yelled at him for not wearing his seatbelt. The girl who caused all this has Farmer's Ins. so coverage shouldn't be a problem. The tow bill alone to upright the trailer, get it on the semi truck flatbed and off the freeway was almost $1800.00. Ouch!

Thank you! They felt ok last night, they were up and walking around like nothing. The passenger was wearing his seatbelt. He went to the hospital this morning cuz his ribs were really hurting him. The driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt and he said he is feeling good today. We all yelled at him for not wearing his seatbelt. The girl who caused all this has Farmer's Ins. so coverage shouldn't be a problem. The tow bill alone to upright the trailer, get it on the semi truck flatbed and off the freeway was almost $1800.00. Ouch!

thats pretty amazing hitting a wall at that speed and not wearing a seatbelt he didnt smack the windshield. he definately had an angel on his shoulder last night.

Those are some pretty bad looking pictures,glad to see that everyone came out of it in good shape.With the way the truck looks you would think someone would be hurt pretty bad.someone was defiantly watching over them.

• 1 month later...

Here are some more pictures of the truck. It looks a lot worse during the day. We got the truck home a couple of weeks ago and it really rocked our world. We hadn't seen it since the night of the accident and it was on the freeway. We knew it was totaled but wow, what a difference daylight makes. Our stomachs turn everyday we walk outside and see it. The ins co is playing games so he had to get his lawyer involved. So there it sits until all is said and done. Day after day a constant reminder of how quickly ones life can change in the blink of an eye. Thankfully, all my guys were ok and are all doing good. Will keep you updated on the progress with the ins co. Oh yeah, and the new rail they will get. :) Sucks though, missed two Dumont trips so far due to all this.

post-38-1205195740_thumb.jpg

post-38-1205195678_thumb.jpg

post-38-1205195784_thumb.jpg

what happen to the rail??

Oh, it has seen better days... j/k The frame is completely tweaked, two (I think) shocks are bent, broke rear suspension, fin on top of engine is twisted, we think the engine & tranny are ok. I haven't even been in the trailer to look at it yet. We are trying to leave everything as is until the ins co does there thing. Don't want any complications. Hubby took some pics of it. I will post those a bit later.

seeing those aftermath pics make my stomach churn.... I cannot believe that, for the most part, everybody made it out without huge problems.

whatever happened to the girl driver??

Even as bad as it all looks all I can say is I'm glad they all walked away. They are material toys that can be replaced. I can't replace my hubby and 3 great friends. Even the girl who started it all, I'm glad she wasn't seriously hurt. While our accident cleanup was going on on the southbound lanes, there was a bad accident on the northbound lanes right next to us. It didn't look as bad but the driver and passenger in the BMW that decided to try to drive under a cargo haulers truck had to be airlifted to the hospital. Never heard their outcome but the tow company showed me the pictures.

As far as I know the girl who started it all was ok. By the time I got to the accident (about 1/2 hour after) she was driving away as I was pulling up. She had black tire prints on both sides of her car and a couple good crunches on each side. Amazing she was able to drive it away. It was a little Nissan Z car. Probably a good thing she was gone when I got there cuz I really wanted to throttle her for being stupid.

What exactly was she doing to "loose control"??

She was coming onto the 57 fwy southbound on the Grand Ave onramp (where the 57 fwy & 60 fwys come together in Diamond Bar) and lost control in the rain. She started spinning almost at the end of the onramp. She then hit the right front tire area of the truck, he started to lose it, recovered it, then she bounced / spun across the freeway, hit the center divider, that spun her around and back into him on the driver's side front tire area. That just completely turned him to the right and straight into the wall. When he hit the wall the truck bounced and that is what lifted the trailer up and onto it's side and then it slid into the wall. I don't know if you have ever been on that onramp, but it is a long circle and you can get going pretty fast. When you go under the overpass you can see all the scratches and chunks missing from the concrete wall where they hit.

She was coming onto the 57 fwy southbound on the Grand Ave onramp (where the 57 fwy & 60 fwys come together in Diamond Bar) and lost control in the rain. She started spinning almost at the end of the onramp. She then hit the right front tire area of the truck, he started to lose it, recovered it, then she bounced / spun across the freeway, hit the center divider, that spun her around and back into him on the driver's side front tire area. That just completely turned him to the right and straight into the wall. When he hit the wall the truck bounced and that is what lifted the trailer up and onto it's side and then it slid into the wall. I don't know if you have ever been on that onramp, but it is a long circle and you can get going pretty fast. When you go under the overpass you can see all the scratches and chunks missing from the concrete wall where they hit.

So more then likely she was haulin the mail and fooling around because it was wet?? (seems every youngin thinks they are a "drifter" everytime the ground is wet)