Jon aka fctryblack84...

SandBox_Kid

I got a call from Jon today. He said he was bored and was killing some time so he thought he'd call a bunch of peeps. It was good to hear from him. He said he's doing well, but still in some pain. He was in good spirits like normal though. :D

Yesterday was the first day he was back to himself, and that made us happy. More pics in the gallery from today's wound cleaning. His doctor wants him out of the hospital so he can see a plastic surgeon that only works out of UMC. Hopefully his release will be soon.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday was the first day he was back to himself, and that made us happy. More pics in the gallery from today's wound cleaning. His doctor wants him out of the hospital so he can see a plastic surgeon that only works out of UMC. Hopefully his release will be soon.

I would be willing to bet that would be Dr. Zamboni? He is great guy and a fantastic surgeon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Good news!!!

:censored:

I have some unfortunate news I will pass on that Gerald texted me today. :(

"Bad news. The muscles in his hand appear to be dead. Amputations is possible. Angio-gram is next to check flow."

Like I said Gerald, please let me know if there is anything you guys need or if there is anything I can do for Jon. I'm gonna try like hell to get over there this weekend to see him. Tell him he is in our thoughts and we're still thinking positive for him!! :praying:

I have some unfortunate news I will pass on that Gerald texted me today. :(

"Bad news. The muscles in his hand appear to be dead. Amputations is possible. Angio-gram is next to check flow."

Like I said Gerald, please let me know if there is anything you guys need or if there is anything I can do for Jon. I'm gonna try like hell to get over there this weekend to see him. Tell him he is in our thoughts and we're still thinking positive for him!! :praying:

Damn it ! Chit ! I am there with Pete. If I can do anything, no matter how small, let me know. Gerald and family, you are in my thoughts and best wishes always.

Here's the update.....

I just got up after returning from an all day adventure at the hospital. We were there from 8am Sunday to 3am Monday for another operation. The plastic surgeon just completed 7+ hours of surgery on the tissues in my Jon's hand/wrist. He had to call his own anasteisiologist (sp?...you know the guy with the good stuff :mb:) because Jon kept getting bumped due to trauma after trauma coming into the hospital. The surgeon took a full arterial "flap" from his good arm and grafted it onto his bad one. He also grafted new skin onto the other gray areas around his hand and to the area removed from his good arm. He re-repaired one of the main nerves also. If this one doesn't take...amputation is a real possibility because he needs blood flow to the hand. The doctor was happy with the "flap" and artery after re-attachment....plenty of blood flow, and nice and pink, however, both muscles in his hand are dead which means it will not function properly again. We are hoping things stay pink with plenty of blood flow for the next 48 hours. As each day passes beyond 48 hours and the flow is good the chances of keeping the hand increase also. We are grateful he still has it and is with us, as many of the doctors have told us he is lucky to still have his hand because the damage was significant. The trauma was incredible, and I still don't wanna see the pictures....unless it is the worse case scenario...then I would want to know why. It has been a long and twisted weekend and even 5 hours sleep seems like it does no good, but we perservere and fight for Jon.

At this time he will be in the CICU for the next 5 days and has both arms splinted and bandaged. His visiting times are extremely limited at this time and I know he's going to have to learn some patience from this experience.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

We just got back from the short 30 min visits we are allowed. Jon was surprisingly in good spirits considering. Both arms are wrapped up and his pain is managed very well. They are keeping his room at 80 degrees....I'm pretty sure that's to keep his extremities plenty warm so there is no need for the body to pool the blood in the organs. The nurse let us hear the flow in the "flap"...which was music to our ears. They also have his pulse hooked up to the finger on his injured hand and it is reading a good pulse. They couldn't get one before.

At this point....so far so good, but we aren't out of the woods yet.

Thanks for keeping us updated Gerald. I was thinking about him all day hoping for some better news from the last update.

Yeah, what that guy said ^^^

Great news too. looking forward to hear much more. :thumb:

You and Sheri doing OK G? Please let any of us know if you need anything.

We're all here for Jon and you guys too. :D

Thanks G,

R-

Still in the hospital....after 3 weeks. :DDRrocks: They are watching a quarter size bruise near the thumb to see if it dies off or not......and that's all that's keeping him from coming home. He's in his 5th room now....E367. I need to start the paperwork.....time to get the police report and all that good stuff for my insurance. :blink:

Hope everyone enjoyed Dumont for kickoff weekend!!