blown up again

YFZ350KID

well, unfortunately the banshee only ran for a total of 15 hours, and 10 of those were doing heat cycles and carb tuning...

after riding around for about 4 hours, and not really ripping on it hard it started bogging really bad and i struggled to get out of a little bowl around the back side... got to flat ground and was towed back to camp by my buddy... pull the spark plugs and one had aluminum on it, so, another piston gone!!!!

dangit couldnt have come at a worse time, we hadent even left vegas 12 hours earlier, and already had to pack up and head home plagued with breakdowns on 2 of the 3 quads we went with... anyway, im irritated at the situation and really pissed that my dune season may be up in smoke before it really gets started

thanks to those of you that stopped by while i was in the bowl lettin the motor cool down and waitin on my buddy bringing parts and the tow quad...

here is my 2 cents... IF it takes you 10 hours of riding to get your bike jetted... you need to seek professional HELP!! and 10 hours of fuggin heat cycles are you RETARDED!!

check it out... warm it up then ride it like you stole it :D

Read this it will give you some pretty good insight on whats goin on inside them there cylinders

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Bro who is buildingyour boat anchors for you first of all.second who told you to do heat cycles for 10 hours.Having a built banshee is like having a full time dune job,they are the most tempramental bikes but when there on there on. I use to be into these money pits real deep and know alot of the ins and outs of these motors if you need some advise or a helping hand on a cheap rebuild let me know. Subie1

for the heat cycle stuff the extreme amount of time has been due to the lack of availability of actual riding time... everything as far as jetting was dialed in within the first hour of run time...

as far as anything else goes, im doing all the work myself and following the instructions of a couple different people and lots of help reading articles and such off of bansheehq and working with a local builder.

as far as the breakin procedures, everyone has their own deals... for the banshee's i like to do a couple of heat cycles, then re-torque everything, as stated above not having the time/money/others to ride with limited my ability to take the banshee out for long runs...

for the heat cycle stuff the extreme amount of time has been due to the lack of availability of actual riding time... everything as far as jetting was dialed in within the first hour of run time...

as far as anything else goes, im doing all the work myself and following the instructions of a couple different people and lots of help reading articles and such off of bansheehq and working with a local builder.

as far as the breakin procedures, everyone has their own deals... for the banshee's i like to do a couple of heat cycles, then re-torque everything, as stated above not having the time/money/others to ride with limited my ability to take the banshee out for long runs...

a couple heat cycles or is it 10 hours worth.. dude i suggest you hitup someone who knows what they are doing.. dont trust the yahoos on the internet unless you have seen their work seen their ride and have talked to them enough in person to tell that they know what they are doing. I am by far any mechanic but i know what advice to take and not to take based on the kind of person someone is...

PS dont listen to a damn thing britincali has to say.. LOL j/k brit..

a couple heat cycles or is it 10 hours worth.. dude i suggest you hitup someone who knows what they are doing.. dont trust the yahoos on the internet unless you have seen their work seen their ride and have talked to them enough in person to tell that they know what they are doing. I am by far any mechanic but i know what advice to take and not to take based on the kind of person someone is...

PS dont listen to a damn thing britincali has to say.. LOL j/k brit..

I'm sorry....are you giving him advice over the internet, to not take advice over the internet???

:beercheers::laughing:

Man that SUCKS.... :thumbsdown:

That happened to us 3 years ago... My kid blew up his 250 the first morning at dumont than my daughter was towed back to camp about the same time because she didnt know to shift the quad she was riding " Yamaha Warrior" so she blew that motor BIG TIME!! That afternoon I blew the top end on my Banshee doing a couple laps up comp hill ... Sucked..

May be its just the top end on your Banshee... If so its an easy fix.

Some times if the bike just keeps taking a :poop: all the time its time to just dump the bike.

Good luck !!! :thumb:

Edited by Dune Family

If you have aluminum on the plug, your tuning is in question? I would guess to lean, or not enough octane or both. The only other cause would be to tight on clearences, but that would be rare, and evident on start up.

The easy solution is see if you can talk Dan into looking at it..or err building it.

I love banshees.......

This is just my :thumb: I believe in the 3 or 4 heat up cycles myself. but as far as tuning it, if it melted a piston, which it sounds like it did thus the aluminum on the spark plug, then i dont think the carbs were dialed in. :broke: It might have seemed like it was runnin perfect but when you get under the load of the dunes it leans out the 2 strokes hard. :thumbsdown: I feel your pain. ive been in your shoes more than a few times with my R and banshees. not fun. Sorry to hear the bad news. hopefully just a top end will do it and you will be back and running in no time.

sound like a typical banshee to me. have you ever seen how hard the dunes are to a 125 smoker? then someone decided to put 2 together for a dune quad :thumbsdown:

i had a bike that would run great in hedo but burn up as soon as it got off the trailer in dumont. i burned it up 4 times and finely found out it had a small air leak in the crank case. it did not affect it at home and i would ride the crap out of it at home and then smoke it with in minutes at the dunes.

following the instructions of a couple different people

that's probably the biggest problem.

Ive never done it before, but if you want, we could use a wideband o2 sensor on it....and compare to say my banshee. I have several widebands, I just never used one on a two stroke. I dont think it would hurt the sensor, but we would have to do some welding on the exhuast to put o2 bungs in. Id be curious. My banshee has been together for 10 years, and has always run great, and only been worked on one time. Dan cleaned the carbs last year for me......thats it.

my 99 banshee is still running on the stock pistons and rings and clutch it has never been tore apart i bought it brand new in 99 i sold it a few months back and i hear its still running. i dunno if your building a monster or not. but if your looking for durability do all your add ons exterior leave insides stock.

well, unfortunately the banshee only ran for a total of 15 hours, and 10 of those were doing heat cycles and carb tuning...

after riding around for about 4 hours, and not really ripping on it hard it started bogging really bad and i struggled to get out of a little bowl around the back side... got to flat ground and was towed back to camp by my buddy... pull the spark plugs and one had aluminum on it, so, another piston gone!!!!

dangit couldnt have come at a worse time, we hadent even left vegas 12 hours earlier, and already had to pack up and head home plagued with breakdowns on 2 of the 3 quads we went with... anyway, im irritated at the situation and really pissed that my dune season may be up in smoke before it really gets started

thanks to those of you that stopped by while i was in the bowl lettin the motor cool down and waitin on my buddy bringing parts and the tow quad...

Hey Brent, sorry to hear about your Banshee. I'm a long time observer/reader of DDR, :rockwoot: but just recently joined and couldn't help but notice something in this thread. My son has an '89 Banshee. Barefoot Bob said it well, do the exterior mods and leave the insides stock for reliability. My kid's YFZ has Trinity stage 3 &4 mods and basically stock except for suspension and pipe upgrades. He runs 32:1 mixture of 91 oct and Castrol 927. Never had a problem in 8 years until he accidently added a half tank of unmixed 91 to his tank. Guess what!?!? An hour later he holed the #1 cylinder.

I haven't seen anyone mention gas mixture/ratio. Did you just fill it up shortly before your run???? Just my :DDRrocks: Good luck in your rebuild and don't let it spoil your season!!!

Bob

here is my 2 cents... IF it takes you 10 hours of riding to get your bike jetted... you need to seek professional HELP!! and 10 hours of fuggin heat cycles are you RETARDED!!

check it out... warm it up then ride it like you stole it :D

Read this it will give you some pretty good insight on whats goin on inside them there cylinders

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

ISBB, just went to this site and thought it was right on!! I bookmarked it for future reference. Very informative. Thanks!!!

Bob

Hey Brent, sorry to hear about your Banshee. I'm a long time observer/reader of DDR, :rockwoot: but just recently joined and couldn't help but notice something in this thread. My son has an '89 Banshee. Barefoot Bob said it well, do the exterior mods and leave the insides stock for reliability. My kid's YFZ has Trinity stage 3 &4 mods and basically stock except for suspension and pipe upgrades. He runs 32:1 mixture of 91 oct and Castrol 927. Never had a problem in 8 years until he accidently added a half tank of unmixed 91 to his tank. Guess what!?!? An hour later he holed the #1 cylinder.

I haven't seen anyone mention gas mixture/ratio. Did you just fill it up shortly before your run???? Just my :DDRrocks: Good luck in your rebuild and don't let it spoil your season!!!

Bob

im not all too extreme in the power adder mods and such yet in the internals... the crank thats in it now is a new stock stroke hotrods crank and the ports are still stock... im planning to tear down the top end this weekend so i can get a better picture of what went wrong. im running 40:1 oil mix with ams oil 2 stroke oil with 100 octane fuel. again, i was running the 100 octane fuel as an extra measure of insurance on the motor...

oh well...

as far as the O2 sensors go, i'd be willing to hook up and install some O2's but its kinda pointless unless its running... I have heard of other people setting up wide bands on banshee's, but its usually more the drag guys that have them, and on the dyno everyone has a wideband sniffer in the pipes

Thats good that your getting ready to fix up your Banshee..!! :ynot:

Put up pix of the top end if you can ... I would like to know what may of caused you bike to quit..

My Banshee has been good so far since the rebuild 2 years ago... Its a 89 Shee with a Paul Turner top end w/ The Paul Turner Mid pipes. The Carbs are after market, The top end has a Cool Head W/ a Power Radiator, The rest is just exterior billet stuff....

I run it 32:1 with Yamaha Lube... The fuel is 91 Octane pump gas...

Was your Bike on the stock side?

Good Luck..

P.S. Post if you need some other parts.. I still have some top end stuff laying around..

:beerpint:

Edited by Dune Family