Buggy round up trip reports and pics

nwtdiesel

I have to say thank you to everyone who was at the buggy round up! The nicest guys and gals for sure! I apologize if I was not in the best of spirits or the most talkative but I felt horrible the whole trip. Thursday I had a cough, Fri I had a cough and stuffy nose and I got very achy in my legs and arms, Sat day was same as Fri, Sat night I had the shakes and had a fever, I sweat it all out and felt much better Sun morning but I still have a cough and stuffy. I didn't want to get anyone sick so I just stayed close to my trailer. Fri night my propane regulator went out and luckily DJ had a extra one, I swapped it out and got the heater and fridge back up and running. My car was popping and dying, I found a loose wire on the fuel pump, that fixed the cutting out issue but it was still running very rich and down on power, I will be addressing the issue this week. The ice cream truck went by on Sat so I grabbed my cash and hauled but to the ice cream truck to get ninja turtle bars for the family. I put $70 bucks back in my pocket and never seen it again. Someone at the dunes will be $70 richer. The dune runs were very very awesome and I have to say Pete can sure pick some good lines! We did 2 buggy round up runs every day and I also did a mild run or two with the family in the car. Sunday I asked Tim why he was loading up and he said "my car is in one piece and I had a blast so im going home" I told him we were going on one more ride and he told me to be carful and that's when things break and go bad... sure enough I broke the crap out of my rear arm when I landed in a deep hole sideways. I was in 2nd gear going about 40mph when I turned then went in the air and the pass rear landed in a 3 ft hole. It hit hard but it still drove fine so I kept going with the group. I finally stopped when I realized something wasn't right, I got out and walked around and saw the carnage and I was like "holy crap I was just going through the woops at the top of third like that!!" my rear arm was barely hanging on and looked like it was going to fall off. I limped her back in one piece and loaded her up in the hauler. I wasn't upset one bit, I got to dune every day Thurs-Sun and I beat on the car pretty hard. Sausage, eggs, potatos every morning, steaks for dinner man I couldn't beat that! Thanks to my babe for cooking like crazy! It was only my second time in the car, I was finally getting used to it, learning the turning brakes and the feel of her. Im very glad I made this trip and even though I had a heck of a time it was the best time and I will not miss the next buggy round up! Thanks guys!

I didn't get many pics because I was having too much fun but ill post what I have later on. Entrance road was awesome and im not gonna lie I did 40mph on it :)

Edited by nwtdiesel
  • Like 1

I was on the fence for this trip. I knew if I went I'd be going solo, but with the wife pushing me to go and Rees n Tracy giving me a bed, I went for it.

What an amazing weekend!!

Dunes were incredible, weather was perfect, nighttime antics always are memorable! (Except the moonshine I want to forget that ) poor Sara elf will never be the same lol dune Jenga was fun as always.

Rees n Tracy had car problems which blows bit they'll get it ironed out. Brice blew his clutch but not till late Saturday so they got a few runs.

My car ran amazing, and the lines out there were fast n smooth!!!

Thanks to everyone for a fabulous trip!!

Awesome man we can get you studded up! Yea I was amazed it kept driving. I crapped when I got out to take a look at the "squeak" It will be fixed this week! Ill get it running better too and then this summer ill be dropping a different motor in.

Had an awesome time. Arriving to the meteor shower was cool. It really wasn't my imagination. It was nice and cold at night but nothing a big camp fire and a few shots of whiskey could not cure.

Saturday morning met up with Chadwick and his buddy went on an awesome ride. I actually burned two tanks of gas in one day. The buggy run Saturday afternoon was fun trying to keep up after I cut a few corners and found a clear path I was back on track.

On another run with Mike, Joe and Adam these guys with their turbos know how to haul a$$. It was a fun run trying to keep up. Sore as hell today. A good feeling knowing I got the runs in what a stress reliever.

I want to say thanks to mike for having me in his Dune casa. Nothing like a warm bed.

The round up allowed me to meet plenty of new peeps and also see a lot of the regulars. Good times for sure.

Can't wait to see Timmy's video of Elf the illegal alien which gets violated. Funny chit. Anna brought Back the meat mellow it's a hit and she owns the patent.

Yup yup to much to list. Good time!

• Like 1

What a trip! Thanks to everyone who came out. We had an awesome turnout. It's exactly what I was hoping for and that was to meet some new faces and get everyone together from the site to run the dunes! I had a great time. The dunes were perfect! I was amazed how nice they were after how Thanksgiving weekend left them. When we got there we pretty much made the first tracks on Friday morning. After a few lines were made it was on and the buggy runs were a blast. We owned those dunes. Hell, we pretty much owned all of Dumont it seemed. There were like 5 other little camps and then our giant camp full of great people. These are exactly how I like my weekends out at D.

I had a handful of issues between buggy, toyhauler, and ATC70 but nothing stopped me from running and I duned until I was out of fuel on Sunday. Our last run was a blast. The weather was so nice out. It was in the upper 60's, perfect lines to follow really fast, and some good shadows. My car even cleared up from a previous hiccup and ran really well.

I fell really bad for Rees (Firecracker) with his continued motor issues :( and Brice (sandseeker) after he smoked his clutch. Brice did get some dune time in before his let go. Then Newly ripped that arm tab off on his last run. Whoa! lol Glad it didn't happen earlier, but you know we would have gotten it handled with Lou's magical skills.

Thanks again to all that came out. Over the years many have dropped off the site and they don't go out to the dunes anymore, but it seems we have a great new group of people on here along with a large handful of original members that make up a very fun group. We will have to do more group trips like this. I couldn't handle a giant camp like that every trip :laughing: but it is really fun getting everyone together. This will definitely be an annual trip and then some.

I didn't take nearly as many pics as usual. I rarely even pulled my camera out but I was just having too much fun. I'll post what I have though.

I had fun following the buggies for sure. I didn't even cut very many lines. The fast runs are crazy and lead to some serious fun and "pucker" moments on an ATV. being at the back of the line was nuts, since the front of the line seemed like it was about 5 minutes ahead of me and about 3 dunes over.

That camp fire really got going... especially with the cardboard boxes on it. Maybe we will cut that up earlier next time.

I was happy to get plenty of runs in, and the last run was great. Some of the lines were getting turned up, and the wet sand was showing it's UGLY face, but I wasn't going to slow down...

I got some Video of Newly stuck at the top of Comp, but the Gopro was off when Jordan was stuck by Talladega. :( I had issues all weekend figuring out if I turned the camera on or off, I need a remote Gopro for sure. Luckily nobody did anything too crazy that I missed.

Overall I really liked the big camp since people were going on runs at different times that I could jump in on. don't forget about me, if I'm in camp during the day, it usually means I'm waiting for a group to go :) lol I still had 15 gallons of fuel to burn. :dunno:

I didn't really get any photos, but I will see what stills I can pull from video from the people I was following.

Damn, I missed the scales! Really wanted to know what mine weighed in at too.

I will get my pics up today after work. And start on my Elf pics- Rumor is she is in rehab after this weekend......

Sweet pics Pete. You can see "Sandy the Elf" on my front bar hanging on as I air it out on those jumps.

Edited by bp-guy

It was an awesome trip! I want to thank everyone for putting up with a new buggy driver like me... I was just trying to not get in the way and not die at the same time. Pete and his crew and LIGHTING fast on the dunes. I need a huge helicopter to pick up my 1350lbs (ouch) and drop me a few dunes over so I can catch up.

pete- thanks for everything and let me know if you got a decent shot on your camera phone of my wheelie :)

newly- nice meeting the fam and lunch was great at the drags. Feel better.

Tim- Sorry you missed the scales ill bring them everytime now. Most likely going out the day after xmas.

Terry- Take it easy on the body so you can ride all weekend.

adam- you were ripping it up on your quad. I was surprised how fast you hit some of the sections with the short wheel base that you have. my email is jordanhiggins2002@yahoo.com if you got some go pro action. I should just sent you a new sd card and you send me that one so I can get all the footage :)

Bert- thanks for info and tips man. And getting my lost butt back to camp. See you on the 26th.

reese- for the helmet mic set up. thanks

Eric-hope to roll with you in glamis soon.

didn't get a chance to say bye to Jason- congrats on the baby boy..

mike- (racer car) He is crazy fast like pete.

thanks again guys!

Great trip, no carnage in our camp other than Dougs power steering rack seal and a chip in my windshield following Tim too close through the flats.

Nice to put some more faces to board names and see some familiar ones for sure

Pete, great lines as always and thanks for organizing

Joe, Love seeing xp's wheelie, gives me hope for mine (now I just need a fatter wallet)

Jordan, most enthusiastic award for sure, very refreshing to see

Lindsay, Great job leading buggy ride on Sat

Lou, great guy, and resources for days, kudos for passing along to Lindsay, VERY impressed with that young lady, inspired me to spend more time with my daughter in the drivers seat of the rail.

Anna, always great to see you, the falling star / fish parallel was hilarious

Elf, wouldn't even touch you while wearing a HazMat suit :beerpint:

Edited by raspadoo

Great trip, no carnage in our camp other than Dougs power steering rack seal and a chip in my windshield following Tim too close through the flats.

Joe, Love seeing xp's wheelie, gives me hope for mine (now I just need a fatter wallet)

Lou, great guy, and resources for days, kudos for passing along to Lindsay, VERY impressed with that young lady, inspired me to spend more time with my daughter in the drivers seat of the rail.

If that was me, I am sorry. I try to watch my mirror and see how close someone is behind me before I hit the gas. My tires pick up a lot of sand/rocks for such a small motor compared to others and sometimes I can't see what's behind me at all.

It was pretty cool to this massive hoard of buggys roll up by the FSA race and Pete yell out to me "Is this a good time?" It was fun to get the group photo and I'll make it available for everyone once I get done with them all. As you guys were leaving, I managed to get some pretty good shots of most of you. I also did a little night stuff around camp.

It was good to meet some new folks and see some I haven't seen in a while.

This shot I grabbed from my Facebook. It was a handheld three exposure merged into one. I also took this the normal way but it's the only one I have at the moment.

post-709-0-86965700-1387210058_thumb.jpg

If that was me, I am sorry. I try to watch my mirror and see how close someone is behind me before I hit the gas. My tires pick up a lot of sand/rocks for such a small motor compared to others and sometimes I can't see what's behind me at all.

No worries whatsoever, could have been from 3 cars up, My cars leading edge was seasoned each ride this weekend :beerpint: I'm actually changing rear paddles due to complaints of the extremes picking up too much sand, want something that slides a little better and bites a little less, Good to meet you.