Unbelievable.......We're pissed!

Guest Crasher

Guest Crasher

So, Craig and I did quite a bit of Christmas shopping yesterday and I decided to check my bank account online to see if everything posted correctly and figure out what we had left for a balance. Then I see an ATM withdrawal for $300 (maximum amount you can take out) for some ATM I have never even heard of and not in our area of town. I ask Craig if he took out money yesterday, no. I know I hadn't taken anything out today either, but I went through all of my bank receipts, etc. to see if it slipped my mind....no. It appears that someone got Craig's debit card number AND PIN NUMBER and gave themselves a little Christmas present from our family. They actually duplicated the card and used it. WTF?????? I cannot believe what theives are going through nowadays to rip us off. Of course, we promptly called the bank and disputed the charge and cancelled Craig's card, but the violation factor is a huge issue for me. :flipoff:

Also, it has to go through a "claim" process, so we won't even see that money back until the investigation is complete. Perfect. :thumb:

So, everyone be careful right now and be sure to check your bank accounts daily to make sure that all your charges are legit. The bank said it's out of control and these theives are putting cameras and some type of card in the machines which duplicate your card information. Even the bank ATM's are getting hit. We were told to NEVER use your card as a debit and if you have to use it, always use it as credit. Also, forget pulling out cash from the ATM, you need to go into the bank and get the money out the old fashioned way. Just a head's up to everyone......

:laughoff:

that sucks after my last problem with someone i knew using my info i put life lock on my credit account. i know it wouldnt have helped you in that instant. but it gives me good piece of mind that no one can open any form of credit with out me getting called to see if its legit.

Guest Crasher

yes, I have that protection as well, but like you said, it didn't help us with this incident. I just got off the phone with my friend and the same thing happened to her yesterday as well. We both bank at Wells Fargo, so I'm thinking that they are targeting account holders there. Everyone check their accounts if you bank with them!!!! :thumb:

So, Craig and I did quite a bit of Christmas shopping yesterday and I decided to check my bank account online to see if everything posted correctly and figure out what we had left for a balance. Then I see an ATM withdrawal for $300 (maximum amount you can take out) for some ATM I have never even heard of and not in our area of town. I ask Craig if he took out money yesterday, no. I know I hadn't taken anything out today either, but I went through all of my bank receipts, etc. to see if it slipped my mind....no. It appears that someone got Craig's debit card number AND PIN NUMBER and gave themselves a little Christmas present from our family. They actually duplicated the card and used it. WTF?????? I cannot believe what theives are going through nowadays to rip us off. Of course, we promptly called the bank and disputed the charge and cancelled Craig's card, but the violation factor is a huge issue for me. :laughoff:

Also, it has to go through a "claim" process, so we won't even see that money back until the investigation is complete. Perfect. :flipoff:

So, everyone be careful right now and be sure to check your bank accounts daily to make sure that all your charges are legit. The bank said it's out of control and these theives are putting cameras and some type of card in the machines which duplicate your card information. Even the bank ATM's are getting hit. We were told to NEVER use your card as a debit and if you have to use it, always use it as credit. Also, forget pulling out cash from the ATM, you need to go into the bank and get the money out the old fashioned way. Just a head's up to everyone......

:idiot:

That sucks to here :thumb: that happened to you! When the wife ask me about taking money out i usually say yes :pics::dope:

Shiat like this just makes me think about carrying cash like the good ole days. Then you worry about loosing your wallet or getting ripped off. Fuggin thieves! CANT HAVE ANYTHING NICE

I wonder who that girl in your avatar ripped off for those tata's...

Tiff, I feel your pain. I hope you can get your cash back asap! I'm on my way to get my credit report right now; it's been too long since I've checked it :thumb:

Guest Crasher

I wonder who that girl in your avatar ripped off for those tata's...

Tiff, I feel your pain. I hope you can get your cash back asap! I'm on my way to get my credit report right now; it's been too long since I've checked it :thumb:

Good idea Monkie. I have a service I pay for that sends me updates on my credit reports monthly, and if there is any activity whatsoever....it's worth the small monthly fee for sure!! I've already caught some stuff and had it corrected asap. It also gives me my credit rating each month. :flipoff: Doesn't help for stuff like this, but it's nice to know what is going on with your TRW at all times. With the economy the way it is right now, there are a lot of peeps getting ripped off!!! :(

I just checked mine and nothing too surprising, thank God! I am thinking of signing up for a monthly service too. What's this "life lock" and how do I get that?

In case anyone doesn't know you are, by law, entitled to one free report each year through annualreport.com.

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have or know how to use a computer these days... i.e. old farts.

:( That just sucks.

This world is gettin' tougher and tougher. :laughoff:

Why can't everyone just get a job and do something good for the country. :idiot:

Hope you guys get your $ back with minimal headaches.

R-

:thumb::flipoff: <<< Jager bombs on me next time. Yiah Yiah :dope:

Sorry to hear that Tiff. What bank was this through?

My mom just got ripped off as well and it has been a headache for her for weeks now. :( Evidentally some crackhead somehow wrote a check at Walmart with her account info. The check number was for a check that was still in my moms check book too. Then it was processed electronically like a debit transaction since nobody actually takes checks anymore. :thumb: Fuggin pieces of chit!

Guest Crasher

Sorry to hear that Tiff. What bank was this through?

My mom just got ripped off as well and it has been a headache for her for weeks now. :( Evidentally some crackhead somehow wrote a check at Walmart with her account info. The check number was for a check that was still in my moms check book too. Then it was processed electronically like a debit transaction since nobody actually takes checks anymore. :thumb: Fuggin pieces of chit!

Wells Fargo. With technology these days, anyone can do just about anything with checks and/or credit/debit cards. The guy at the bank was telling us horror stories of how people are getting ripped off these days. No matter how well you are protected, these effers still find a way to steal from you!!! :laughoff: Sorry to hear about your Mom Pete. That's just insane!!! Now they are copying checks????? People have way too much time to scheme and do this stuff. Get a god damned job!!!! :flipoff:

Shiat like this just makes me think about carrying cash like the good ole days. Then you worry about loosing your wallet or getting ripped off. Fuggin thieves! CANT HAVE ANYTHING NICE

Be careful with that too. I accidently left the back window half way rolled down in our truck. I always leave my purse in the truck. In an hour and a half inside my mother in laws house, some punk kids stretched in to unlock the door, took my purse, GPS, sirius satelitte receiver, my 5 year olds backpack and lunch box. They locked the truck again before they left. When we went to leave and saw everything missing, I felt VIOLATED. My purse was found around the corner, everything from inside was gone, except my SSN cards (those are no longer kept in my purse). I think they were interrupted because my Ipod was still there too. Just all my credit cards, checkbook (had to change my account#), my drivers license and cash. :lol:

Watch out everyone. People are getting desperate nowadays.

Be careful with that too. I accidently left the back window half way rolled down in our truck. I always leave my purse in the truck. In an hour and a half inside my mother in laws house, some punk kids stretched in to unlock the door, took my purse, GPS, sirius satelitte receiver, my 5 year olds backpack and lunch box. They locked the truck again before they left. When we went to leave and saw everything missing, I felt VIOLATED. My purse was found around the corner, everything from inside was gone, except my SSN cards (those are no longer kept in my purse). I think they were interrupted because my Ipod was still there too. Just all my credit cards, checkbook (had to change my account#), my drivers license and cash. :beat:

Watch out everyone. People are getting desperate nowadays.

Why in the HELL would you do that!? :slap::lol:

Really really sucks that happened to you guys Tiff. Its a shame the bank cant give you a credit while they investigage. Unfortunately it usually takes them quite some time to get thru all that. Its BS your out the money in the meantime.

Thanks for the heads up on using my pin # with debit card, im going to start using it as credit all the time now. Hope things get resolved quickly.

Unfortunately things will get worse with thieves with the economy getting worse, everyone be careful.

the same exact thing happend to me but instead of $300 they stole $1200 from me had to take a day off work to go to police station fill out a report then call the back took me a total of 8 hours from start to finish and to top it all off the back didnt want to give me my money back because they thought i took it.

I just checked mine and nothing too surprising, thank God! I am thinking of signing up for a monthly service too. What's this "life lock" and how do I get that?

In case anyone doesn't know you are, by law, entitled to one free report each year through annualreport.com.

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have or know how to use a computer these days... i.e. old farts.

My brother lived in Las Vegas and used his card at some 7-11 type place and they ran his card through some type of scanner when he wasn't looking and had a 300$ charge on his account the next day, it was eventually refunded. It might have changed but I thought you were entitled by law to get 1 free credit report from each of the 3 agencies, then you stagger them 1 every 4 months, but only 1 through annualcreditreport.com, I think you have to do a request directly to the other 2 agencies Anyone know for sure?

I got a story for you guys. A few months ago I realized that I had not received my mastercard credit card bill. I called the automated system and when it gave me my balance (should have been about $300) it said $14,000. WHAT!!!???!!! I got a real person on the phone and they said that the reason I hadn't received a bill is because someone had put in a change of address and added themselves onto my account (which of course included sending them another card on the account). It seems this person, they have his name and address, had been taking cash advances everyday of about $1500 - $1800. When they wouldn't let him take anymore advances, he would write them a check (rubber, of course) and then they would let him take more advances, can you believe that?!?!? He took a total of $33,000 in cash. What I don't understand is the card had a limit of $14,500. WHY would they let him keep taking money?WHY did they let someone who didn't have the same last name as me change my account?

Anyway, I disputed and won. I also told them don't ever allow a cash advance on this account, (never had been before, I think that's one of the reasons they didn't fight me on the dispute). I know I should close this account (the company is HSBC) but I only use it when I need something other than American Express.

Ok, my rant is over, thanks for listening.

Oh, and sorry Tiff, hope you get your money back asap!

Here's a funny stroy for everyone.

I used to work at a bicycle shop here in Covina. Monday we get a phone call from a guy who wanted to purchase a $3000 bike over the phone (not un-common). So we take his credit card # and tell him we will charge a 10% deposit and the bike will arrive in about a week. He will have to come to the shop and show ID and we will charge the rest of the card before he can leave with the bike. We do this all the time, never had a problem.

Wednesday, we get another call.

The guy over the phone says "I just looked at my online credit account and noticed a $300 charge form your shop in Covina, CA"

We say "Yes sir, that was the deposit for the bike that you ordered, it will be here friday afternoon."

Guy says "Here's the problem, I never called or even came into your shop, I live in Ohio!"

Us :lol:

So the guy in Ohio cancels the charge and we call the cops and set up a small sting operation. The guy who ordered the bike calls us about a half hour before he comes in to make sure it's ready. We call the cops (who are right across the street) and they get set up around the corner.

I have the bike in the work stand and two guys come in. Within 15 seconds of the two dudes walking through the door, about 10 cops swarm the shop. The look on the thiefs faces were priceless. They didnt even put up a fight, they knew what was up right away.

Cops said they could get up to 10 years but will probably be back on the streets in 6 months. :beat:

I got a story for you guys. A few months ago I realized that I had not received my mastercard credit card bill. I called the automated system and when it gave me my balance (should have been about $300) it said $14,000. WHAT!!!???!!! I got a real person on the phone and they said that the reason I hadn't received a bill is because someone had put in a change of address and added themselves onto my account (which of course included sending them another card on the account). It seems this person, they have his name and address, had been taking cash advances everyday of about $1500 - $1800. When they wouldn't let him take anymore advances, he would write them a check (rubber, of course) and then they would let him take more advances, can you believe that?!?!? He took a total of $33,000 in cash. What I don't understand is the card had a limit of $14,500. WHY would they let him keep taking money?WHY did they let someone who didn't have the same last name as me change my account?

Anyway, I disputed and won. I also told them don't ever allow a cash advance on this account, (never had been before, I think that's one of the reasons they didn't fight me on the dispute). I know I should close this account (the company is HSBC) but I only use it when I need something other than American Express.

Ok, my rant is over, thanks for listening.

Oh, and sorry Tiff, hope you get your money back asap!

You would think the CC company would see that as an unuual spending habit and would reaise a red flag.

Speaking of....here's another story. :lol:

While OGP was in Vegas once, we'd always go out and spend stupid money. :mb: :lol: Right before we were heading to PT's once, I hit up the ATM for some cash. However the ATM wouldn't give me any money, not because the machine was broke, but something about insufficient funds in my account. :blury: BULLLLLSHIATTT ma fackas! :think: So I get on the phone right there in front of the ATM at BofA. The lady tells me I have had some "usual spending habits and transactions latley" and my account was put on hold. She asks me about this charge, that charge, what about this one, did you purchase something here for this amount, blah blah blah. I'm sittin here sayin "YEP, YEP, YEP, YEP, :clap: all me. Spending stupid amounts of money partying like a goddamn rockstar lately...dumb as f*ck!" :dope::slap::clap: She tried like hell not to laugh but then re-activated my account. :clap: woohoo :beat: OGP was rollin. :dayum: Even though it was an inconvienance at the time, I actually thought that was pretty cool they did that! :blink:

Just opened my business visa statement, over 5k in charges on one of my guys cards that were not legit. BofA said someone must have cloned his card and made another to use, they credited my account and are sending me something to sign. I will NEVER use my ATM card for a purchase for this reason... :lol:

i watched a report on teevee a couple weeks ago about a device thieves are applying to atm machines. it's a card reader that when placed above the ATM machines card reader, you hardly notice that you're swiping your card through both readers. the false card reader is removed a short time later and the thieves have all of your card information, and can duplicate a card in minutes.

also, watch for the tweekers in the drive-thru. they have similar hand-held devices that they can discreetly swipe your card without you noticing.