DSLR camera tips, techniques, photo sharing, etc

dunefreak

Panning shots with a good motion blur in the background is pretty tricky. You did great on that second one, Pete. I'd lighten up the 1st one just a tad. Good job though! How did you like that lens?

Lee, he has a 30D and rented a 70-200mm L f/4 lens

it was ok, just a little soft on the high end ..I think that i would like to try the 100-400 next time just need a little more zoom...got a pretty good shot of "Tom -Tkriley" this is my first try at panning.The 100 mph is not to hard too shot.. but the 200 mph boats :undecided:

post-3227-1243890529_thumb.jpg

Edited by ltr450

I was thinking about submitting a pic I shot in a Yosemite meadow on a challenge photo website as I looked at the pics that had been submitted thinking they looked pretty good but thought my pic would be competitive till I saw this photo. Is it just me or is this picture awesome? Wanted to share this and it shows what can be done with a camera. It was taken last September with a Canon 30D with a 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 lens.

post-1632-1242162499_thumb.jpg

Man this picture is as perfect as it gets. Nice shot.

Nothing wrong with the original except too small for worn out eyes. My sight isn't what it used to be, I zoomed in so I could see, adjusted white & black point and .3 pixel unsharp mask. Just was too small for me to see wutup :B

Do that to the original and it will pop. And its been opened and compressed 3-4 times at least.

post-1632-1243891659_thumb.jpg

Edited by RUn2it

OK. So I finally took a look at my Software that came with the camera and I am trying to figure out how to use it. I stitched the Cory jumping pic but there is a hard line of different shade in the middle. How do I fix this?

post-911-1243971729_thumb.jpg

OK. So I finally took a look at my Software that came with the camera and I am trying to figure out how to use it. I stitched the Cory jumping pic but there is a hard line of different shade in the middle. How do I fix this?

post-911-1243971729_thumb.jpg

It's called FM ....... Friggin Magic :laughoff::laughoff: You have to edit the levels, colors etc till they match, it's a pain in the aperture. If you ever want to shoot one again use aperture priority so all the shots are the same exposure and manually set the ISO and White Balance so they don't change during the sequence, the shutter will be the only variable.

:ah: dude what happened to those cameras where all you had to do was point push a botton and a picture just came out. wait from what I remember they didnt have the best quality pics though... Nevermind carry on :laughoff:

:ah: dude what happened to those cameras where all you had to do was point push a botton and a picture just came out. wait from what I remember they didnt have the best quality pics though... Nevermind carry on :lol:

:?: :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff:

So you are saying that I have to know how to use my camera. LOL. I am getting there, Just don't quite understand all the settings.

So you know the basics like Av (aperture), Tv (time value=shutter speed) and how they work together, light is like water, aperture is the pipe diameter size and shutter speed is like pressure. Those 2 and the sun at your back is most important.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a cool pic of the moon the other night.

100% crop...

normal_moon.jpg

I found that taking pics of the moon requires quite a fast shutter speed since it is so bright. This pic was taken at full zoom with my 200mm, f/2.8, 1/500 sec, no filter.

It was a good pic until I sharpened it...then it became a great one. :pissed: The added contrast really brought out the detail in the craters and stuff.

Check out the bottom of the moon. It kinda almost looks like an orange. lol

I took a cool pic of the moon the other night.

100% crop...

normal_moon.jpg

I found that taking pics of the moon requires quite a fast shutter speed since it is so bright. This pic was taken at full zoom with my 200mm, f/2.8, 1/500 sec, no filter.

It was a good pic until I sharpened it...then it became a great one. :pissed: The added contrast really brought out the detail in the craters and stuff.

Check out the bottom of the moon. It kinda almost looks like an orange. lol

Pete, I really like the one you took of the luxor and the moon(helping out the moon) on actionshutter post it up here its a very cool pic....

Edited by Bryan M

Is there enough light to use the 1.4 ? You should try doing some HDR with bracketed exposures. I haven't done true HDR, I don't have a tripod yet :pissed: but been looking. I fake HDR with tweaked copies and cloning. I think using neutral density or gradient filters is along the same lines but without actually increasing the dynamic range. The more I read the more I realize how much more there is to learn :pissed:

Pete, I really like the one you took of the luxor and the moon(helping out the moon) on actionshutter post it up here its a very cool pic....

Thanks Bryan. I actually have posted it up on here, just in a different thread. It's in the "my newest website" thread in gen chat. ;)

Is there enough light to use the 1.4 ? You should try doing some HDR with bracketed exposures. I haven't done true HDR, I don't have a tripod yet :idea: but been looking. I fake HDR with tweaked copies and cloning. I think using neutral density or gradient filters is along the same lines but without actually increasing the dynamic range. The more I read the more I realize how much more there is to learn :dumbass:

Yeah there was plenty of moon light as I used 1/500 to take that pic. I probably could have easily used the 1.4 extender, but I had everything already mounted up without it when I was out so I didnt mess with it. I have read quite a bit on a photo forum recently about doing HDR, yet I still have no idea wtf it is and how to do it. :think::dunno: lol

Yeah there was plenty of moon light as I used 1/500 to take that pic. I probably could have easily used the 1.4 extender, but I had everything already mounted up without it when I was out so I didnt mess with it. I have read quite a bit on a photo forum recently about doing HDR, yet I still have no idea wtf it is and how to do it. :dunno: :dumbass: lol

I'll try to explain it, uh, naaahh, boring and too much work to do it, lol.

Edited by RUn2it

Thanks Bryan. I actually have posted it up on here, just in a different thread. It's in the "my newest website" thread in gen chat. ;)

Pete are you giving me credit for a positive post...... :dumbass: see Im not such a bad guy after all

Pete are you giving me credit for a positive post...... :dumbass: see Im not such a bad guy after all

I never said you were a bad guy. :think: Hell, I have never even met you before. :dunno: I remember giving you sh*t for talkin crap once in a post, but I didnt judge you or hold it against you.

Here's is a faked HDR from a pic from the "DDR invades Maui", the 1st is original & the 2nd is the fake, fake because there's no plugins, no CS3, no special HDR program so nothing great but closer to the way it would appear being there. The sand could be dark but I did it fairly quick so eff it.

post-1632-1245399424_thumb.jpg

post-1632-1245399482_thumb.jpg

Edited by RUn2it

Here is a picture I took a while back. I like it and its my screensaver at the moment.

post-1872-1245460928_thumb.jpg

I 2nd Pete, nice pic. The mental test I give a pic is if it looks like you're looking out a window at the scene, it's a good 1.

Thanks Lee, Coming from a guy with ALOT of camera time means alot. Guess I am doing ok so far.

I tried taking pictures of my work softball team. Stills are easy but moving objects are very tough! But I like the challenge.

Edited by bp-guy