Something you may want to consider.

aceisback

Had some good friends come down to Glamis from Idaho, Utah, and NorCal for a week of good times and good rides. While eating breakfast this past Tuesday we were discussing the high cost of enjoying our hobby, and what the associated medical cost could be, including LifeFlight transportation. Not a half hour after this conversation took place an unfortunate accident took place and my good friend Scott nailed a kiddie track when he looked back to check on his daughter. Lazy a$$ parents that let their kids do this are a topic for another thread. :beercheers::grin: He broke his hip and pelvis in five places along with four ribs and had a collapsed lung. His daughter was quite shaken up over witnessing what happened to her father but they are both home and recovering.

One of the things that came up in the conversation was the REACH LifeFlight insurance and what a lifesaver it would be to not have that added cost and stress while dealing with the trauma of a bad accident. I heard from Scott a few minutes ago and the bill for the LifeFlight had already come in by the time he got back home. From Brawley to San Diego was $37,375.75! :censored: His out of pocket cost will be the $45 that he paid for the annual family plan. :clap: If you are an ASA member it is $40 for the family plan.

May be something that you might want to consider. Just sayin'...

Now, if you are at the dunes with your children then take the time to teach them how to ride in the dunes. Why would you sit there while they mindnumbingly :dope: go in circle after circle, or figure 8 after figure 8 when you paid an access fee to enjoy the dunes? :old: Or atleast bring a Bobcat with you so you can undo the damage that your laziness caused so that others don't get killed of maimed. :beat:

I am truly sorry about your friend that sucks. Anytime someone gets injured it sucks. I cant say that I dont allow my kids to ride in circles in camp and to be honest Im even nervous in camp. My kids are 6 and 8 and especially on big weekends I am not letting them go out into the dunes. Those dunes are dangerouse even for me to ride in and I have been riding for a few years now. I Dont let them dig holes and if they do then the parents should be responsable enough to fill them. But if all those kids that ride circles and 8 start going in the dunes when they arent ready I think we will be having a whole hell of a lot flight for life out there... This is just my oppinion and i wont stop my kids from riding around in camp untill they are ready.. Peace and once again I am sorry to hear about your buddy and yea that insurance is agreat Idea

Had some good friends come down to Glamis from Idaho, Utah, and NorCal for a week of good times and good rides. While eating breakfast this past Tuesday we were discussing the high cost of enjoying our hobby, and what the associated medical cost could be, including LifeFlight transportation. Not a half hour after this conversation took place an unfortunate accident took place and my good friend Scott nailed a kiddie track when he looked back to check on his daughter. Lazy a$$ parents that let their kids do this are a topic for another thread. :beercheers::grin: He broke his hip and pelvis in five places along with four ribs and had a collapsed lung. His daughter was quite shaken up over witnessing what happened to her father but they are both home and recovering.

One of the things that came up in the conversation was the REACH LifeFlight insurance and what a lifesaver it would be to not have that added cost and stress while dealing with the trauma of a bad accident. I heard from Scott a few minutes ago and the bill for the LifeFlight had already come in by the time he got back home. From Brawley to San Diego was $37,375.75! :censored: His out of pocket cost will be the $45 that he paid for the annual family plan. :clap: If you are an ASA member it is $40 for the family plan.

Now, if you are at the dunes with your children then take the time to teach them how to ride in the dunes. Why would you sit there while they mindnumbingly :dope: go in circle after circle, or figure 8 after figure 8 when you paid an access fee to enjoy the dunes? :old: Or atleast bring a Bobcat with you so you can undo the damage that your laziness caused so that others don't get killed of maimed. :beat:

Great info Vic. Sorry to hear about your friend. Do you know how to go about getting this insurance? Thanks.

My mother in law did a filght for life from Pahrump to Vegas and the bill was over $15,000. Very lucky they bought a MASA plan for $3500 a few years ago that paid for the chopper ride and ambulance rides. I think I will check into it!

Sorry to hear about your friend :(

Yah, medical services aren't cheap. My little boy's ambulance ride cost over $5000; and that was just from Riverside to Loma Linda(less than 20 miles). 15 hours in the ER was another $5000. We only paid a $100 copay. Spending a little on insurance :beercheers: won't even be a concern, once you have a situation where you need it!!!

I don't like leaving holes or anything either, after the regatta and the jump we made for the 70's I got up Sunday am and filled it in, so that nobody would get hurt from our fun.

Good Man. I made sure to destroy the burm on the finger dune with my rail before I left.

I cant tell you how many times I have almost ate dirt in Glamis from those kiddie tracks. But after the first time I realized they were everywhere. I do not think there is anything wrong with the tracks. But the rules do tell you to put the dirt back the way you found it. Most don't. Hope your buddy gets well soon.

hello vic please excuse my ignorance but can you tell me how to get the reach for lifeflight insurance.

thank you in advance

jorge

REACH Air Medical Services

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone, I will pass them on to him. Here's the link for all interested. Click on the membership tab across the header of the homepage.

Charity, please don't misconstrue what I'm trying to say here. What I'm talking about is not children riding around in camp, which there shouldn't be any problem with. These tracks in question are too big to be "inside" of a normal group of haulers. They drop off a foot or more deep and have two, three, sometimes four foot high berms. You'd need a tractor to fill them back in. Alot of folks on DDR have been to Glamis and know what I'm trying to convey here. They have huge walls but believe it or not are damn near impossible to see until you are right on them. Doesn't matter if it's night or broad daylight, they pop up out of nowhere.

And I agree with you to a point about the kids being ready before they hit the dunes. I just wouldn't take children that young to Dumont on a holiday weekend anyway. It's way too small and too much mayhem with the camp racers, high powered rails with inexperienced drivers trying to impress the Jones's, and whatnot. Atleast at Glamis you can find a set of dunes to suit your style and experience level without having to venture near the hill where all of the shennanigans take place.

Guess that was the condensed version of pointing out that children riding around camp isn't what I was implying... :beercheers:

Edited by aceisback

REACH Air Medical Services

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone, I will pass them on to him. Here's the link for all interested. Click on the membership tab across the header of the homepage.

Charity, please don't misconstrue what I'm trying to say here. What I'm talking about is not children riding around in camp, which there shouldn't be any problem with. These tracks in question are too big to be "inside" of a normal group of haulers. They drop off a foot or more deep and have two, three, sometimes four foot high berms. You'd need a tractor to fill them back in. Alot of folks on DDR have been to Glamis and know what I'm trying to convey here. They have huge walls but believe it or not are damn near impossible to see until you are right on them. Doesn't matter if it's night or broad daylight, they pop up out of nowhere.

And I agree with you to a point about the kids being ready before they hit the dunes. I just wouldn't take children that young to Dumont on a holiday weekend anyway. It's way too small and too much mayhem with the camp racers, high powered rails with inexperienced drivers trying to impress the Jones's, and whatnot. Atleast at Glamis you can find a set of dunes to suit your style and experience level without having to venture near the hill where all of the shennanigans take place.

Guess that was the condensed version of pointing out that children riding around camp isn't what I was implying... :beercheers:

Vic.:

Good read!!! I'm also a victum of the "Kiddie Race Tracks" Never got real hurt but some very close calls!!

You are right!! Sometimes you really don't see em!! When you do,, it's too late.!!

I think the message hear is:

If you build it,,,,,, Tear it down........If you ride,,,,,,,,,,, watch out for it ,someone may not have torn it down!

Best wishes to your friend!!

You coming down for Presidents???

Great Info :beercheers:

Another option to look into if it is available to you is AFLAC, the accident plan covers ambulance and flight for life transports along with paying cash to you if you are in the hospital and pays for your family to stay in a nearby hotel to be near you if needed and all kinds of other little things. The intensive care plan is another to look into.

Looks like REACH insurance is used if you get airlifted by REACH helicopters. They cover Imperial County and other areas in California. I've never seen them at Dumont (nor would I insist that a certain helicopter come pick me or a family member up, if hurt).

If you get airlifted, is that covered by your medical insurance? I guess I'll have to check into our insurances, but just thought I'd ask.

:beercheers:

Edited by Kitcat

tracks topic has been covered many times here, but i don't think it can be talked about enuff. a lot of people don't believe in the electric chair, but if i'm ever elected king, the first thing i will do is set up electric BLEACHERS to deal with those responsible for those deep tracks that have hurt so many. best wishes for your friend.

tracks topic has been covered many times here, but i don't think it can be talked about enuff. a lot of people don't believe in the electric chair, but if i'm ever elected king, the first thing i will do is set up electric BLEACHERS to deal with those responsible for those deep tracks that have hurt so many. best wishes for your friend.

Sorry to hear about your buddy. That sucks.

http://www.aflac.com/accident_insurance/default.aspx

Check out the bottom right hand corner to view the brochures.

http://www.aflac.com/individuals/policies.aspx

AFLAC accident plan will pay $1500 for air transport and $200 for ground, they pay it to the company.

All other benefits per accident/injury are paid directly to you....cash in your pocket if you get hurt :unsure: .

Air transport is usually covered by insurance, but you would have to check the specifics of your plan.