Nevada DMV & their OHV registration plan effective July 1

Doghouse

as copied from an e-mail we got just now:

OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE (OHV) PROGRAM

Beginning July 1, 2012, the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles will begin implementation of the titling and registration program for off-highway vehicles (OHV’s).

Generally, an off-highway vehicle means a motor vehicle that is designed primarily for off-highway and all-terrain use.

The term includes, but is not limited to:

an all-terrain vehicle

an all-terrain motorcycle

a dune buggy

a snowmobile

and any motor vehicle used on public lands for the purpose of recreation.

The term does not include motor vehicles subject to registration under NRS 482 or watercraft subject to registration under NRS 488.

With certain exceptions, every owner of an OHV will be required to register their OHV with the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Notification about this program has been sent to members of the motor vehicle industry in advance of the implementation date to let affected businesses know about basic provisions of the program and access to documentation and general information on this new initiative.

This is what was sent to a number of businesses that sell off road vehicles, copied in it's entirety and pasted here.

If you didn't get this e-mail from NDMV and you sell off road vehicles, this plan will effect you:

OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE (OHV) PROGRAM

To Motor Vehicle Industry Participants (Please disregard this message if your business is not engaged in the selling of off-highway vehicles):

Beginning July 1, 2012, the Department will begin implementation of the titling and registration program for off-highway vehicles (OHV’s). Generally, an off-highway vehicle means a motor vehicle that is designed primarily for off-highway and all-terrain use. The term includes, but is not limited to: an all-terrain vehicle; an all-terrain motorcycle; a dune buggy; a snowmobile; and any motor vehicle used on public lands for the purpose of recreation. The term does not include motor vehicles subject to registration under NRS 482 or watercraft subject to registration under NRS 488. With certain exceptions, every owner of an OHV will be required to register their OHV with the Department. Notification about this program has been sent to members of the motor vehicle industry in advance of the implementation date to let affected businesses know about basic provisions of the program and access to documentation and general information on this new initiative.

This program will impact motor vehicle industry businesses in two ways:

- If your dealership or business sells OHV’s, you will now be required to maintain a business license as an OHV dealer in addition to your current dealer business license, along with an additional OHV dealer bond.

- Under these new provisions, dealers will also be able to, when selling an OHV, submit an OHV Dealer Report of Sale and necessary titling documents to the Department, as well as apply for registration decals for their customers. Dealers will also be able to perform VIN inspections for OHV’S and transact with the Department either via regular mail or by phone.

You may go to the OHV page on the Department’s main website at www.dmvnv.com/ohv.htm for detailed information on how this program will affect you as either a dealer or owner of an OHV business. A link to the application packet to become a registered OHV dealer is also located on this page.

For questions concerning the business license requirement, please contact the main Occupational and Business Licensing (OBL) office at (775) 684-4690.

For questions concerning the registration and titling requirements, please contact the main OHV email address at DMVOHVUnit@dmv.nv.gov.

Workshops and hearings for adoption of OHV regulations began in April and are anticipated to be finalized by the end of the month. Chapter 490 of the Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) is solely dedicated to defining and enforcing the provisions for OHV; these statutes may be accessed and reviewed online at www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-490.html. The following links will also provide additional information on the legislative history regarding the adoption of the OHV program; here (click on http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/75th2009/Bills/SB/SB394_EN.pdf) to access; and here (click on http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Bills/SB/SB130_EN.pdf) to access.

Thank you for your attention to this, if you have additional questions you may contact either Ann Yukish-Lee at (775) 684-4985 or Rachel Reynolds at (775) 684-4886.

Martin Hefner

Management Analyst

Division of Management Services and Programs (MSP)

Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles

555 Wright Way

Carson City, NV 89711

(775) 684-4773

(775) 684-4563 [fax]

email: mhefner@dmv.nv.gov

This will save time & money. The days of driving across town to get a CA tag are almost over. I do not mind paying for our vehicles to be registured.

Will I still need to buy a temporary OHV registration when I ride in other states that require registration?

No. A valid Nevada OHV registration decal will allow you to ride your OHV in other states that have an OHV registration program

This is actually good as the state of California has been raping the Ca. state OHV fund for years. I don't mind paying a fee as long as the money stays in use for OHV use. Now the question is what is the state of Nevada going to do to improve OHV areas or will they be thievin bastards like ca? I would unfortunetly bet on the latter.

Terry

I love the idea, being able to get a title for OHV's and being able to get a duplicate should you have lost your title is good news to me. Right now I have 4 bikes with titles and none of them are in my name, so if I loose the title I am stuck.

so what about toys missing paperwork? my atc 70 has nothing what will be the procedure to get a title?

Click the link. Sounds like it's a pretty simple process.

" OHVs Purchased Prior to the OHV Program...

If you own an off-highway vehicle 1976 or newer, you must register it within one year of the program implementation. The owner has the option of obtaining a title for an existing OHV. It is not required.

You will have to have a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or serial number inspection completed and submit an application and the proper fees. Inspections can be completed by a licensed OHV dealer or a sworn law enforcement officer only. Please do not visit a DMV office!

If your OHV does not have a VIN or serial number, it must be taken to a DMV inspection station. VIN assignments can be completed by the DMV only."

yeah but it said they could charge 30.....no less than 20 but not more than 30 per NRS??? I read it but dont remember the number

That's fine. So it's the same as we're already paying except now we get a title and the registration should now be honored everywhere we ride right? :)

you are correct...

post-3-0-79126500-1337920674_thumb.jpg

It used to be $21 for two years a few short years ago but increased to $52 for two years for a cutting edge California green sticker when Schwarzaneggar was in office. These funds are strictly for improving OHV areas, except when the state needs some money for other things like balancing the budget and keeping the state parks system funded and $25 million + is borrowed, I mean stolen, and we never see it again.

Other than those annoying little issues it's a great program, especially going to the DMV thats only open four days a week now due to the budget, with the foreign masses and their relatives to register a vehicle. While I really do believe OHV's should be titled, I must say, good luck Nevada.

Edited by Mr. Sandman

That's fine. So it's the same as we're already paying except now we get a title and the registration should now be honored everywhere we ride right? :)

you are correct...

post-3-0-79126500-1337920674_thumb.jpg

exactly.....Im good with it.I just hope they dont rob us.I need some titles as well.

to get a title for a vehicle sold before July 1 2012 you have to pay $35 per title. that is seperate from the $20 per year registration.

The other part of that is that you have to file a form that shows you paid the sales tax when you purchased the vehicle. Now i don't know how they are going to enforce where each vehicle was purchased. It will definitely affect the people that go to Arizona, or Utah, or Ca, to buy OHV vehicles. Even for the older vehicles they are going to try and collect any unpaid Nevada sales tax.

to get a title for a vehicle sold before July 1 2012 you have to pay $35 per title. that is seperate from the $20 per year registration.

The other part of that is that you have to file a form that shows you paid the sales tax when you purchased the vehicle. Now i don't know how they are going to enforce where each vehicle was purchased. It will definitely affect the people that go to Arizona, or Utah, or Ca, to buy OHV vehicles. Even for the older vehicles they are going to try and collect any unpaid Nevada sales tax.

And there you have it, Money Grab :beerpint:

If it is going to be the same as vehicle purchases....private party purchases/sales do not pay sales tax upon registration...so write up a private party bill of sale.

But can't they do a VIN check and see who orig bought it and where ??? We bought our RZR in UT, but I can't find the damn title.

I don't know that they would invest the time, maybe do a vin check to see if it is stolen. If you bought it in Utah and did not pay the take and title fee's there, you most likely just received a certificate or origine.