How much gear do you wear when riding the dunes?

dunefreak

Lately I've put a little more thought into my riding gear for the dunes. When I ride out in the desert I am decked out in full gear but never in the sand. Why? It's pretty much just as dangerous in the sand as the hard pack. After seeing a couple crashes over the last summer morning run, I question why some guys (including myself) limit their gear.

I always wear helmet, gloves & goggles plus riding pants and full MX boots. I am starting to think about wearing some sort of chest protector and maybe even some under-the-pants knee protection that slip on.

So what about you? What do you usually wear and why? I understand not everyone likes to haul ass and just likes to putt around, but it's still important.

The older I get. The more protection I'm strapping on!!

I was same as you/most peeps boots helmet goggles and gloves now I won't ride without a chest protector at all!! It's cheap insurance. Even thinking about a neck protector.

I wear the bear minimum. Helmet/Goggles/Gloves.. I know i should wear more i just never have. I hate wearing mx boots. Maybe i need to look at the newer stuff. My old Alpinestars felt like lead boots. I need something lighter and more comfortable..Most of the other stuff i really have no reason for not wearing. I used to have riding pants and jerseys i just stopped wearing them. After my little cliff jump i was thinking what would have been different if i was wearing more gear. Probably my ankle, and the scratches on my knee would have been avoided. I probably will look into getting some boots...Baby Steps lol

Always wear boots and chest protector. The chest protector has saved me a few times from the bars. I would really like a Leatt or Alpine Stars neck support as well. What I would really like is a "Chesty-neck-camelback" all in one. I love having my camelback since my riding pants don't have pockets and I love having some type of hydration.

When I rode quads i wore helmet, chest protector (most of the time) Riding pants, kidney support and compression shorts, under my riding pants i wore knee and leg protectors and although they were hot I soon felt naked when i didn't have them on. Boots and gloves pretty much rounded out the deal. I think if I was riding now I would probably incorporate a neck brace along with the chest protector. Better to be safe than sorry and i can tell you the kidney belt and knee protectors saved my azz several times:)

I took a spill last year and it hurt more than it used to. Not sure if additional gear would of helped, but I know that my helmet took one for the team. Kinda easy to see that had I hit in just a little bit of a different angle, a neck support would have been necessary.

It took a little to get used to boots, but now I can't ride without them. Otherwise the standard helmet, gloves, goggles. I wear riding pants/shorts and jersey, but they're mostly comfort items. I'm definitely looking into adding some sort of chest/neck protection.

Oh, and an elbow brace will be my best friend for the next season or two...

^^^x2

My boots have never been uncomfortable till last weekend but they have been sitting in my gear back in my basement for 4 years!!!!

At the end of our riding they were back to normal.

And mine aren't even the high end comfortable ones

Edited by sanddunesaddict

I have a set of Alpinestars tech 8's that are in great shape that I would be willing to sell if anybody is interested. Interior booties are fairly new but boots have not been worn in about 4 years. Let me know if your interested and I will figure out a price for them.

Terry

Helmet goggles gloves mostly. I do have riding pants that I wear now....so comfy in shorts tho. Used to be a shoe wearer but just got some comp 5 ankle boots....still a little weird shifting...I like to feel the shifter with my toes, ive missed several gears with the comp 5s but im getting better, they are decently light too but rub the hell out of my frame. I have a chest protector but havent worn it in the dunes yet

I wear the Helmet, googles, gloves, boots, and riding pants. not sure the riding pants really do much protection.

I looked at neck braces and chest protectors yesterday a little at ridenow since I was there anyway. I didn't really have the feeling I wanted to buy them though. Since I have only been actively riding for about 2 years now, and the speeds have increased, and my riding style has changed I guess I should look more seriously at protection.

I started wearing the boots to help my feet from hurting when jumping and stuff, and they work great for that. shifting hasn't been much of an issue for me, but rear braking has. I basically just slam the rear brake when I need it since the boots take away all feeling of pressure on the pedal so I can't control the pressure very well.

I noticed that Alpinestar has some vented boots, in the tech 8 range that I wouldn't mind trying. and they have the superlights that are a different style, much thinner design that many of the trick riders wear but they are like $600.

I wear everything.most wreaks in the dunes are usually over the bars. your chest on the bars.if you go a little further then your knees hit the bars and if you go further its time to try out the helmet

I wear everything.most wreaks in the dunes are usually over the bars. your chest on the bars.if you go a little further then your knees hit the bars and if you go further its time to try out the helmet

Words of wisdom right here kids!!!

• 4 months later...