helpful things to have in your sandrail if you break

dunefreak

I thought it would help people be more prepared nest time they go out in their rail if we started a list of helpfull things to have on a buggy ride just in case you break. :D

ratchet straps: They come in handy if you break a suspenion component. You can usually (on a long travel car), ratchet one wheel all the way up and drive back on three wheels.

zip ties: they work great for some small repairs

duck tape: you know duck tape works for everything :drinkbeer:

bottled water: I found this out to be handy when you run low in the middle of the dunes :boxer: Thans Don29Palms :boxer:

tow strap: obvious one here. :dunce: Super Strapp brand tow straps work the best. :beercheers:

basic tools: screwdriver, pliers, adj. end wrench, etc. Those soft tool bag seem to work great. I still need to get one of those.

I thought it would help people be more prepared nest time they go out in their rail if we started a list of helpfull things to have on a buggy ride just in case you break. :D

ratchet straps: They come in handy if you break a suspenion component. You can usually (on a long travel car), ratchet one wheel all the way up and drive back on three wheels.

zip ties: they work great for some small repairs

duck tape: you know duck tape works for everything :drinkbeer:

bottled water: I found this out to be handy when you run low in the middle of the dunes :dunce: Thans Don29Palms :shocked2:

tow strap: obvious one here. :thumb: Super Strapp brand tow straps work the best. :thumbsdown:

basic tools: screwdriver, pliers, adj. end wrench, etc. Those soft tool bag seem to work great. I still need to get one of those.

A few oil rags seem to come in handy

Glasses for us blind old guys to see what the hell is wrong with it!

be nice to have mechanics gloves for working around hot motors and componets.

Oh yeah the best thing? Good friends who will interupt their dune ride to get you back to camp safely.

Did I mention that the group I was running with in Idaho left me stranded when I broke down? Talk about a not so fun experience!! :dunno:

Oh yeah the best thing? Good friends who will interupt their dune ride to get you back to camp safely.

Did I mention that the group I was running with in Idaho left me stranded when I broke down? Talk about a not so fun experience!! :thumb:

Yeah I remember you mentioning that before. :shocked2: That's purdy sh*tty. :thumbsdown:

I won't ever leave a duner behind. It might take me a couple dunes to figure out they aren't behind me, but we've gotta stick together out there and help each other out. Usually you will need another buggy and friends to help you get back. Oh yeah..one more thing. If you are waiting for a friend to go get something in camp, a cold beer usually helps pass the time. :dunce: :dunno::drinkbeer:

:shocked2: Drinking and driving don't mix. I recommend only drinking non-alcoholic beverages while out in the dunes. Remember we must dune responsibly. :dunno::thumbsdown:

I'm sorry! I just couldn't say that without laughing. :drinkbeer:

Edited by Don29palms

Yeah I remember you mentioning that before. :shocked2: That's purdy sh*tty. :thumbsdown:

I won't ever leave a duner behind. It might take me a couple dunes to figure out they aren't behind me, but we've gotta stick together out there and help each other out. Usually you will need another buggy and friends to help you get back. Oh yeah..one more thing. If you are waiting for a friend to go get something in camp, a cold beer usually helps pass the time. :dunce: :dunno::drinkbeer:

I got left remember???

Pauly Paul..."you see those crazy people walking through the dunes??" :thumb:

:shake: Drinking and driving don't mix. I recommend only drinking non-alcoholic beverages while out in the dunes. Remember we must dune responsibly. :cry: :shocked2:

I'm sorry! I just couldn't say that without laughing. :dunno:

Well if your sh*t is broke, then your NOT driving . :cry::thumbsdown: :bash: :slap::drinkbeer:

I got left remember???

Pauly Paul..."you see those crazy people walking through the dunes??" :thumb:

Well you were about 6 cars back, how could I see you? I meant the guy right behind me when I am leading. The person right in front of you should have noticed you broke down on that ride, BaBert. :loser: There's been times where you would be so far ahead from the end of the pack, you wouldn't notice they were gone too. come on!!! :dunce:

I would eventually notice and not go all the way to the north pole hang out and then all the way back to camp passing me twice and not notice someone is gone. :thumb:

But whatever it only happens every time I'm not leading and something happens to my car.

IE..Coral trip Memorial weekend,but I got it fixed before you guys came looking.

Edited by sanddunesaddict

Small flashlight.....I broke down in Amargosa at night w/ no moon. It took my crew 20 mins to find me cause they didn't notice...and when they did they had to fuel up before coming back out. I felt around in the dark and fixed my own problem, but a flashlight would have meant I made it outta there faster.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose I am prepared for almost anything: Flashlight, pliers (2), screwdrivers (3), tow strap, v-belt, exhaust nuts/bolts/gasket, other size nuts/bolts, wheel lug nuts, electrical tape, hose clamps, nut drivers and wrenches in the most likely sizes, extra batteries for gps or flashlight, fuses, zip ties, plumbers tape, couple of shop towels, TOILET PAPER, electrical wire, wire nuts, adjustable wrench, FIRST AID KIT, at least one bottle of water, knife, allen wrench for spindle nuts, hose connectors. I think thats about it. fits into a 50 cal ammo box that does double duty as a passenger foot rest. I also carry on my person a swiss army knife and a phone. Gps on the "dash".

I was never a boy scout either! Just carry stuff that may prevent needing a tow or help someone else. :D .

:think: YES! that would have been my answer as well. Jumper cables are very handy.....even if its not for a sandrail

hunh pete? :shake:

yes indeed they are! :laughing:

always have keys to a Duramax for a tow back.............Thanks again Pete :thumb:

No prob Joe! :thumb:

I am thinking of adding one of those soft tool bags to my trunk. I have plenty of room back there for tools, but they will just be rattling all to hell if I just throw em back there.

yes indeed they are! :shocked:

No prob Joe! :dunno:

I am thinking of adding one of those soft tool bags to my trunk. I have plenty of room back there for tools, but they will just be rattling all to hell if I just throw em back there.

How bout you throw in an extra spindle too! :rainbow1: