Dumont Dunes TRT meeting

The upcoming TRT meeting is probably one of the most important ones we've had so far and yeah, I know it's on a weekday but geez, we really need some members of the duning public to be there.

You see... Dumont Dunes has, in the past, received "operating" money via grants from the "green sticker" fund (that's where your toy registration money goes, and some California fuel tax money). Well, that particular portion of Dumont's funding has completely dried up. We need to get into how that happened, but not here... in another thread would be great.

Here, we need to talk about why it's so important for as many of the Dumont duning community to show up on the 6th as possible.

There is some very strong talk about raising the user fee at Dumont. I'm not talking about a little hike... I'm talking about a substantial increase. The talk is strong enough that one could say a hike is inevitable.

And WE as a duning community, need to be involved in just how much, and why.

Now... please keep in mind nothing, NOTHING has been decided yet. And also keep in mind that your TRT representatives (John Dalgleish/Sandemon for Friends of Dumont Dunes and Terry Allen/Ynot for Nevada off-roaders) and other representatives of Friends of Dumont Dunes, are staying on top of this and will absolutely represent the Dumont community to the best of our ability.

But it sure would help if we had some obvious backing. After all, there's safety in numbers, right? ;)

As many duners as possible need to get on top of this, learn what's happening and make sure that the BLM knows we are aware, awake, and interested in what's happening to our riding area!

Here are the details of the meeting:

Tuesday, March 6, 2007, 10:00 AM

BLM Barstow Field Office Conference Room

2601 Barstow Road, Barstow, CA 92311

For more information call (760) 252-6000

I've seen and heard lots of talk about the user fees we have already. I know some of you have very strong opinions on this matter.

NOW is the time you can actually make a difference and start walking the walk.

Please... be there if you can.

I will be, and I'm burning up a vacation day to do it.

Vicki

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunatly as much as I want to be at this meeting i have a family commitment that cannot be rearranged. I will attend via phone till about 11:30 then I have to go. That is one reason why Vicki is going so that we (FODD) can be well represented in person.

Where are all the peeps that wanted to go when I have to drive by myself?

vicki,

in what way are we going to be heard? will we be able to have a moment to actually say something? having worked in the industry for the last 8 or so years, i can definatley show what it would do to the industry as well as the money that Polaris and Yamaha and Honda give to public lands so that the sport can continue.

The meeting will continue thru lunch so they decide at the beginning of the meeting what they want sandwich or pizza, so if you want to eat while the meeting continues please bring some $ with you. It usually runs about 8 bucks. We have not had much public attendance at the meetings in the past but I am sure that if you have a specific point you can be heard. If you want to rant this is not the place for it. The people on the TRT are professional and most have been involved in public use of land for many years. They are a diverse group and are ALL on our side. Their are no enviromentlists on this board. We do not want to show anything but the concern we have for keeping our public lands open and at a reasonable cost to the users. I am enclosing the adgenda for the meeting. I am very sorry that I cannot attend in person but will be there via phone during the first couple of hours. Family commitments keep me from attending in person.

Agenda for March 6, 2007

Barstow Field Office

10:00 am.

Call To Order

Pledge

Introductions

Approval of the Agenda

Approval of the Minutes from the November 28, 2006 meeting

Lunch decision – pizza or sandwiches (Bring $8.00 cash)?

Reports:

Roxie Trost – Trash discussion with surrounding communites

Location of Vendors at Dumont Dunes

Supplemental Rules- Camping area, use of steel, wood post to define area

Funding for Dumont Dunes

Budget discussion and presentation

Fee increase structure

Members Items

Adjournment

We will work through lunch.

The meeting will continue thru lunch so they decide at the beginning of the meeting what they want sandwich or pizza, so if you want to eat while the meeting continues please bring some $ with you. It usually runs about 8 bucks. We have not had much public attendance at the meetings in the past but I am sure that if you have a specific point you can be heard. If you want to rant this is not the place for it. The people on the TRT are professional and most have been involved in public use of land for many years. They are a diverse group and are ALL on our side. Their are no enviromentlists on this board. We do not want to show anything but the concern we have for keeping our public lands open and at a reasonable cost to the users. I am enclosing the adgenda for the meeting. I am very sorry that I cannot attend in person but will be there via phone during the first couple of hours. Family commitments keep me from attending in person.

Agenda for March 6, 2007

Barstow Field Office

10:00 am.

Call To Order

Pledge

Introductions

Approval of the Agenda

Approval of the Minutes from the November 28, 2006 meeting

Lunch decision – pizza or sandwiches (Bring $8.00 cash)?

Reports:

Roxie Trost – Trash discussion with surrounding communites

Location of Vendors at Dumont Dunes

Supplemental Rules- Camping area, use of steel, wood post to define area

Funding for Dumont Dunes

Budget discussion and presentation

Fee increase structure

Members Items

Adjournment

We will work through lunch.

I am sorry. I don't understand a couple things.

if the agenda is already planned, where is the chance for input from the duning community?

if "they" are on our side, then why do they need our input?

How are the agendas for these meetings organized? is input from the duning community allowed for that?

thanks

I am sorry. I don't understand a couple things.

if the agenda is already planned, where is the chance for input from the duning community?

if "they" are on our side, then why do they need our input?

How are the agendas for these meetings organized? is input from the duning community allowed for that?

thanks

No problem, An Adgenda is a loose outline of what the topics for discussion will be. There will be plenty of chances for the duning community to give input. There are no timelines on how long we will be on any one topic. They need your input because although "they" represent several other organizations that use the area. IE: Film makers, The county of San Bernadino, Death Valley and OHV users that are not neccessarly Duners. All types of use go on in that area and they are all represented on the board.

So the lady from the film industry may not understand your exact problem but wants to keep the area open for her organization. We work together very well to keep the area up and running and advise BLM on what we would like to see happen.

The TRT was organized by the BLM through notices for interested parties to come forward and be selected to be a member of the TRT. Members must agree to serve a 3 year term. The current TRT has been in effect for I believe 14 months. The duning community has a lot of input in these meetings both by being there and by letting your OHV representitve know what your issues are. I am the Nevada OHV rep and believe me I keep tabs on what the issues appear to be on this board and others along with a lot of conversations with other duners.

If you need any other info please feel free to contact me.

Terry