Paving the Dumont entrance RD..

1BADYFZ

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the possibility of a private investment group coming in and purchasing the land from the government?

Dumont could be the ultimate off-road playground.

These issues of waste dumping, litter, dust control, etc would be easily handled if it were under private ownership. You don’t see these types of problems at major theme parks. Nor do you see them at private camping grounds or even ski resorts.

Just a thought..

I agree with Don on this point. They do a Helluva job, especially being able to keep up on the big weekends. We've all seen what kind of mayhem and disrespect is played out in the shidders during the holidays. Pathetic to say the least. But when I head down shortly after sunrise each morning, there they are in all of their shining, spotless glory.

Cheers to Don & Ellen. :mc_smiley:

I agree. every morning come rain or wind, that little lady in her samurai would pull up to the toilets with her cleaning supplies, and be in there like 10 minutes.

the bathrooms are pretty clean too. the one I use...can't remember the #, had no graffitti, looked freshly painted, and didn't smell like an outhouse

What is the possibility of a private investment group coming in and purchasing the land from the government?

Dumont could be the ultimate off-road playground.

These issues of waste dumping, litter, dust control, etc would be easily handled if it were under private ownership. You don’t see these types of problems at major theme parks. Nor do you see them at private camping grounds or even ski resorts.

Just a thought..

good idea, but that would directly compete with the green sticker fund, and the Govt would absolutely hate to see that come to a screeching hault

heck, i only pay 25 dollars every other year for each toy that I have. I wouldn't mind paying 100 bucks every other year, have the state open up more area, and be a little more rider-friendly......

HEY, how come the anti-access people don't have to have a pass to hike the kelso dunes??? :mc_smiley:

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

good idea, but that would directly compete with the green sticker fund, and the Govt would absolutely hate to see that come to a screeching hault

heck, i only pay 25 dollars every other year for each toy that I have. I wouldn't mind paying 100 bucks every other year, have the state open up more area, and be a little more rider-friendly......

HEY, how come the anti-access people don't have to have a pass to hike the kelso dunes??? :blury:

Richard, you lost me with that first comment... as of this last grant cycle Dumont isn't receiving any green sticker money and since it's on Federal land it doesn't get any funding from the California State Parks & Recreation.

As for only paying $25 every other hear, that's coming to an end real damn quick. There is legislation moving through the system right now that would raise it to $75 and now there's talk of that being required every year.

Vicki

Back on the subject of the new road, I received this from the BLM to help clear up some of the questions/confusion:

BLM purchased the material for the road, after discussing the availability of the material and the cost with the TRT. The reason that BLM was able to get the material at less than 1/2 the cost that is usually charged is because the contractor had to remove the material quickly.

After receiving the recommendation of the TRT, we purchased the material and had it delivered. The deliverers, unfortunately, placed the material all over the road instead of only on one side as we had asked. So, we spread the material out so the road would be usable. Not great, but not closed either! And, in general, this is a slow season, so most people would not be affected.

We are in the process of issuing a contract to complete the road. The contractor will likely move the material to one side of the road, grade it, move the material back on the road evenly, add an emulsifier, and roll it. This contract will be put out for a bid and awarded to a company that does this for a living.

BLM used fee funds to purchase the material. That was what was presented to the TRT. That was all the cost of the project that was to be or will be charged to fees. The BLM equipment and man-hours to do a quick spread of the material used a green sticker grant for funding. The contract to make the material into a road will use a BLM account for the funding.

Now, issuing a contract will not be fast. Generally we have a bidding process then award the contract. So, the road will be as it is for a while. But, sometime this Summer the road will be great!

We know that timing wise it would have been better to have the final contract issued to finish the project before we bought the material. But the material would not have been available at the cost we paid it if we waited. Then we would not have been able to afford a new road at all.

Patience is a virtue!

There you have it. Do we all wish it had been done right in the first place? Of course, but it wasn't and now it will have to be fixed. I love the point that they were more concerned with access than perfection so that we could at least still use the road while finding a solution.

Vicki

HEY, how come the anti-access people don't have to have a pass to hike the kelso dunes??? :blury:

I LOVE THIS COMMENT!

You are so right. The off-road community has a boat load of new fees added to the off-road areas... but what about those areas where trails have to be maintained for the hikers? If they're not being charged a fee they certainly should be. I've been on some of those trails where no motorized access allowed and there is always trash and debris. If we pay, so should they!

VW.

Back on the subject of the new road, I received this from the BLM to help clear up some of the questions/confusion:

BLM purchased the material for the road, after discussing the availability of the material and the cost with the TRT. The reason that BLM was able to get the material at less than 1/2 the cost that is usually charged is because the contractor had to remove the material quickly.

After receiving the recommendation of the TRT, we purchased the material and had it delivered. The deliverers, unfortunately, placed the material all over the road instead of only on one side as we had asked. So, we spread the material out so the road would be usable. Not great, but not closed either! And, in general, this is a slow season, so most people would not be affected.

We are in the process of issuing a contract to complete the road. The contractor will likely move the material to one side of the road, grade it, move the material back on the road evenly, add an emulsifier, and roll it. This contract will be put out for a bid and awarded to a company that does this for a living.

BLM used fee funds to purchase the material. That was what was presented to the TRT. That was all the cost of the project that was to be or will be charged to fees. The BLM equipment and man-hours to do a quick spread of the material used a green sticker grant for funding. The contract to make the material into a road will use a BLM account for the funding.

Now, issuing a contract will not be fast. Generally we have a bidding process then award the contract. So, the road will be as it is for a while. But, sometime this Summer the road will be great!

We know that timing wise it would have been better to have the final contract issued to finish the project before we bought the material. But the material would not have been available at the cost we paid it if we waited. Then we would not have been able to afford a new road at all.

Patience is a virtue!

There you have it. Do we all wish it had been done right in the first place? Of course, but it wasn't and now it will have to be fixed. I love the point that they were more concerned with access than perfection so that we could at least still use the road while finding a solution.

Vicki

That is great news, Vicki. Thanks for sharing it and informing everybody. :headbang1:

If anyone is up for an appreciation party at the dunes for those that work to keep the dunes open'd and the hosts we'll throw it and cater it too.

That would be a great idea. Keep in mind though that Don & Ellen go up north until about September then they will be back at Dumont for the season. :beercheers:

I LOVE THIS COMMENT!

You are so right. The off-road community has a boat load of new fees added to the off-road areas... but what about those areas where trails have to be maintained for the hikers? If they're not being charged a fee they certainly should be. I've been on some of those trails where no motorized access allowed and there is always trash and debris. If we pay, so should they!

VW.

I agree too. If we have to pay to use public land then they should pay also. BLM can call it a SPECIAL USE PERMIT or maybe a DESIGNATED LAND USE PERMIT or whatever. :beercheers:

The fee we pay at Dumont isn't for riding quads, bikes or driving the rails, it's like a parking fee for the vehicle that transported you and the toys. Lake Silverwood by my home base charges by the vehicle, if you park outside you can ride a bicycle in and fish or whatever, no fee. :beercheers:

Edited by RUn2it

The fee we pay at Dumont isn't for riding quads, bikes or driving the rails, it's like a parking fee for the vehicle that transported you and the toys. Lake Silverwood by my home base charges by the vehicle, if you park outside you can ride a bicycle in and fish or whatever, no fee. :beercheers:

I would beg to differ with you. It is not a Dumont Parking pass you are paying for. It is a SPECIAL RECREATION FEE AREA PASS. That's means you pay fees to access "your land". If I have to pay to use public lands then everybody should have to pay to use public lands. When you single out a group and apply different rules that is called DISCRIMINATION. I'm not starting an arguement I'm just make a point on the extreme end. My point being that Dumont is special because it is used for OHMV Rec area. Well Kelso Dunes would be special because it is an area used for hiking As is all these other places that the Eco-Terrorist have managed to shut down. It's not really funny because they are trying to get all these places shut down and then almost nobody would ever use them ever again. How many people would go out to Dumont to just go hiking? :beercheers:

Whatever they want to call the fee ....it's still the same, the point about the "hikers not being charged a fee" ...... what do you think would happen if you parked before the Dumont entrance and walked past the people collecting the "use fee", would they stop you and ask for the fee? Not saying I agree or disagree about the hikers and fees but was just putting to words my perspective of how the powers that be separate the type of "use" that we typical Dumont users pay a fee for vs. the hikers. And another interesting point ie the comment about how the hiking trails had all kinds of trash, etc., well there's a fee charged at Dumont now and there is more trash than ever.... so I guess to assume a fee will help reduce the litter will make an a$$(out of)u(&)me. oops, you didn't hear that from me 'cause I'm not one to gossip. Dang, I'm getting senile I think.

So I've been hearing a lot about how the road is just gravel and not true pavement??? Please fill me in??? Has this recycled asphalt been put back into it's original (15fwy) state? True asphalt??

So I've been hearing a lot about how the road is just gravel and not true pavement??? Please fill me in??? Has this recycled asphalt been put back into it's original (15fwy) state? True asphalt??

In the beginning of this topic there are pictures of how the road sits as of about 2 weeks ago. There are plans to finish it... back in this post. They haven't done it quite yet though.

Whatever they want to call the fee ....it's still the same, the point about the "hikers not being charged a fee" ...... what do you think would happen if you parked before the Dumont entrance and walked past the people collecting the "use fee", would they stop you and ask for the fee?

no they wouldn't because the fee is charged by the vehicle

In the beginning of this topic there are pictures of how the road sits as of about 2 weeks ago. There are plans to finish it... back in this post. They haven't done it quite yet though.

It wasnt even touched as of this sunday - washboard all the way....

wow, now all the a$$ wipes from NV can drive even faster.

a$$ whipes wtf :freakin_nuts: just remember nv is made up of more than 50 states of people moving here including were your from so watch who your calling a$$ whipe :no_no: