Paving the Dumont entrance RD..

1BADYFZ

Yep...what a POS road now. :thumb: It would have been better to just leave it alone.

Tyler, you are missing the point. Many of us were ok with the road before. BUT, now it is worse and several THOUSAND dollars later we are left with a road worse than what it was before. If they were gonna do this to be an improvement, they should have done it right.

Here are a bunch of pics of the road...

normal_S2010004~11.JPG

normal_S2010005~10.JPG

normal_S2010006~9.JPG

normal_S2010007~12.JPG

normal_S2010010~14.JPG

normal_S2010009~11.JPG

normal_S2010008~10.JPG

normal_S2010017~12.JPG

Check it out....STILL DUST! :mc_smiley: :woo_hoo:

normal_S2010016~10.JPG

Still washboarded out, except now we have big chunks of asphalt to dodge! :clap::dope:

normal_S2010020~12.JPG

River crossing..

normal_S2010023~9.JPG

approaching the pay station...

normal_S2010024~11.JPG

normal_S2010025~10.JPG

:loser: :ahhhhh: HOW???

normal_S2010028~10.JPG

Just past the pay station...

normal_S2010033~10.JPG

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about if you just don't pay them? They didn't provide the service they were contracted to do. Or did they? If they did the road being bad is someone eleses fault for getting the wrong kind of road put down. It looks like someone just got paid to get rid of tons of useless broken up crappy asphalt.

Edited by MikeGriffin

Ynot? Is the road done, is that it? It sure looks that it is um unfinished? I wonder what a summer of baking will do to it?

Terry will know more on Tuesday, Ken.

From what I understand, it was supposed to be oiled and rolled though.

I am surprised to see it happen this fast. The TRT was notified and we agreed that using recycled pavement from I15 was a good use of our fee demo funds. The actual cost is a substanial savings to us and the asphalt is basically free. We have to pay for grading and hauling but the labor and material is free. There has been a big fuss about dust control by the greenies and this is the easiest way to get them off the subject and make an improvement for the duning community. I was not planning on releasing the information about the road until after the TRT meeting on Tue.but the cat's outta the bag. So their will be a 2 lane pave road from the highway to the pay station. I was not sure I wanted the road paved but after the last couple of times out the road was so rough i am sure my equiptment will appreciate the pavement. We looked at the cost of the road and what the cost of the upkeep on the dirt road and found that it will save us a lot of money over time.

Terry

REMEMBER THAT WAS DISCUSSED IN THE LAST TRT ALTERNATIVES FOR DUST CONTROL YAAAAAY

SEE YOU TOMMOROW

also it takes time for the road to compact and "settel" so to speak with grooming maintanence it isnt magis you go out there in the middle of it and of course its going to be a nightmare but if its graded and compacted and watered over the summer we should have a great rd come fall

regrind asphalt is basicly the equivelent to a gravel rd it can be graded and so forth. alternatives is to roll / compact it after its graded . best would be to slurry seal and roll it except then its not gradeable. oiling would help but would have to be done every so often if were going to bring it up in trt what do you want people ????????????????????????

fyi type 2 black is a regrind base this isnt even that this is straight asphalt grindings from the 15 type 2 regrind would be way better but take what we can get

Edited by barefoot bob

Who knows for sure whether or not it will be good or bad? Is it done yet? I am hoping that in the end it will be better, but I have been on far worse off road roads than that one!!! Maybe there is more work to be done and.....maybe they are letting people in and out while they are working on it.

What strikes me as insanely funny is to read all the comments from a bunch of OFF ROAD enthusists complaining about the condition of an OFF ROAD, road? :idea: Maybe some folks would be happier at an RV Park. But be careful there, :laughoff: cause they have speeed bumps and quiet hrs

I am still sticking to this post. Being an optimist, I think it was pretty nice of them not to shut down the road, while they were/are working on it. by the pics it seemed like the traffic on it was messing it up, if oiled and rolled is still to come than it will surley improve probably drastically.

everyone needs to stop crying and deal with it. we have some friends that have the 300k motorhomes and trailers to match, and they got smart....they left them at home, bought a toyhauler that "they dont care if it gets scratched" and go out and have a good time. its almost embarassing to hear of all the people crying about the road. STAY HOME THEN!!!! it seems to be that dune riding is not about how badass you motorhome/trailer is, or am i missing something????

wow I think your being a lil harsh here. glad your friends were able to go out and buy "cheaper" toyhaulers. alot of us might not have alot of money, or 300k motorhomes, but we do take pride in our stuff. and do pay alot in fees to use dumont. and if our fees went into this crappy road (from what I hear) I would think our money could of been better spent. I think thats what the gripe is mostly. We are all used to the rough road and lots of dust, its the freakin dunes for goodness sake. but to use funds and the road is actually worse, well thats just stupid. everyone is entitled to their opinion, dont think this needs to become a slam fest of calling people whiners :idea:

Let's just see what BLM has to say about it tomorrow, ok?

Absolutely.

I'd really hate to see tomorrow's meeting get all crazy because of this. Is there a problem? Seems to be the case.

Now... how much of a problem, what can or should be done about it, what are the options, etc... those are all things that will bring us to a solution.

The people in this BLM office really are not our enemies. They've worked well with us in the past and present and I absolutely expect them to keep working with us in the future.

Vicki

hell it i think they wasted time and money on this , the black type 2 they laid down is barely enough to cover the ground if they wanted it to last they should have liad a good couple inch's of it oiled it then rolled it with rubber tire and a steel that would heve looked great compared to what they have done :idea:

I was out there this weekend and let me say it was GREAT not having to breathe all the dust from people coming in and out(yes there was a littel dust) but then again we could be stuck with what it was before.. some one saidf it earlier we are going to an off-road place.. so its not going to be RED CARPET or if you are expecting that then go home........... :headbang1: i would say it was an improvement Thanks again for fighting for the right to use this CREATION that was given to us :headbang1:

Duh yes i know that but you never have to follow in a dust Cloud anymore or close your eyeswe and hope you never it a pot hole...Like i said before what can we expect going to an OFF-ROAD Place to ride our Toys... but again this is just my 2 cents

What I am wondering is about the aholes that drive down that road like they are Drag Racing. They are the ones that throw up rocks, dust and everything else. This paving is not going to slow them down, but will this stuff get kicked up a thrown at you like the rocks?

everyone needs to stop crying and deal with it. we have some friends that have the 300k motorhomes and trailers to match, and they got smart....they left them at home, bought a toyhauler that "they dont care if it gets scratched" and go out and have a good time. its almost embarassing to hear of all the people crying about the road. STAY HOME THEN!!!! it seems to be that dune riding is not about how badass you motorhome/trailer is, or am i missing something????

I dont know if you are playing with a full deck here...regardless if my toyhauler/mh is 5 dollars or 150k, why do i want it to be ruined or damaged because the blm decides to do a half a$$ job on the road...nobody wants that stuff to be thrown up against their rigs...

Also, why would I want my 60 dollars, 120 dollars, etc? for fees to go to a road that is going to ruin my stuff and be worse than the dirt road that was already there...why dont they use our fees on something more useful like more rangers, etc...

And by the way, this has nothing to do with dune riding as you eluded to...it has to deal with the stupid blm wasting our fee money on something that was doomed to fail from the beginning.

I dont know if you are playing with a full deck here...regardless if my toyhauler/mh is 5 dollars or 150k, why do i want it to be ruined or damaged because the blm decides to do a half a$$ job on the road...nobody wants that stuff to be thrown up against their rigs...

Also, why would I want my 60 dollars, 120 dollars, etc? for fees to go to a road that is going to ruin my stuff and be worse than the dirt road that was already there...why dont they use our fees on something more useful like more rangers, etc...

And by the way, this has nothing to do with dune riding as you eluded to...it has to deal with the stupid blm wasting our fee money on something that was doomed to fail from the beginning.

AMEN BROTHER!!! :laughing:

A small thing about the road. As of today they still need to do some more work to it. They still want to spray it and roll it. It was brought up, that it needs to be paved before that is done. So probably what will happen is they will grate it to one side, grade the other, put it back on, spray it and then roll it out, then vice versa to the other. I'll let Terry go into the rest of the details. We will see what happens with it soon......Semper Fi, Woody :laughing:

I don't know how the finished product will turn out, Im sure better than what it was before. When I heard they were going to pave the road, I thought they meant paved like out in front of my house. But that's not gonna happen being it would cost about 5-7 million. I'm just hoping it turns out alot better than what I've heard so far....SF Woody

Ok, here's the deal! The road as of now is unfinished. It needs to be watered and rolled. Do I think it's going to be as smooth as a baby's behind, no. Will it be better, I certainly hope so. BLM was advised that the road needs smoothing out and rolling along with some material at the entrance as it is already showing through. This was noted by BLM and all we can do is hope that it will be taken care of. The cost was $98,000.00 which paid for 300 loads of recycled asphalt. Would I like to have my street as an entrance road? To be honest no I would not, never wanted the road paved and this is as close as I want it to be. The main concern on the road was to cut the dust down, to that degree it did the job it was supposed to and will continue to do so. Is the road a drag strip well to some idiots it always has. Nothing has changed if you see a fast moving vehicle coming by you move to the right and slow down or stop to avoid rocks etc. That hasn't changed nor will it appear to change in the future. The areas surronding Dumont, IE Shoshone and Tecopa are complaining about the dust, trash and black tank dumping so the battle is coming. Take your trash and black tanks back home not to the roadside or into these small towns as they are complaining about being overwhelmed by traffic and trash. This may have a greenie based backing but it is a battle brewing none the less.

Spider, if your so damm interested in how the money is spent maybe you should get off your butt and join Friends of Dumont Dunes and help out, or at the very least talk to a board member to get the real skinny on where the money is going. As a matter of fact more Law Enforcement has been a focus over the last 2 years along with the road improvements, bridge improvments etc. that have been done and are planned. So before you condem those that try to save your riding area for you maybe you should get yourself involved!

Further notice is that fees will be going up next year to make up for lost green sticker money and approprations that we lost from the state of CA. and the federal Goverment. Here's the breakdown;

7 day pass $30.00

Annual pass $90.00

Holiday surcharge $10.00 (applies to halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years, Presidents Day and Easter)

Annual pass upgrade to include all 5 holiday periods $120.00

This makes sense to have the users on the busy weekend help pay for the added LEO's and EMT's that are needed.

My thanks to Dave for going down with me and to Mike for taking the time to go to the meeting . Remember the public is invited and encourged to attend these meetings. The next one is June 5th at 10:00 AM at the BLM field office in Barstow.

Terry