Paving the Dumont entrance RD..

1BADYFZ

I have mixed feelings about this.

I'm happy because my overpriced toyhauler that gets beat to death on that road will no longer have to endure that pain nor will my wallet. :blush:

on the contrary...

I'm a little worried that a better road might bring worse people. :thumb:

Pete, I have had the same concerns as you but the deal was to good to pass up. There will be warning signs put up that the road ends and is not maintained and that it is a fee area. Hopefully that will keep ma and pa barker from travelling out to the flats in July and getting stuck. makes for a nasty scenario! But the bad people if they wanted to come out there were coming anyway so we might as well enjoy a decent road. I was thinking speed bumps but not sure if they are going to put those in.

As for the bridge thru the river it to will be widened this spring as soon as the river ceases to flow. We are widening it to 36' from 12' this should cure the traffic issues on the big weekends. Although I have decided to help with traffic congestion on big weekends by staying home. :blush:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, I have had the same concerns as you but the deal was to good to pass up. There will be warning signs put up that the road ends and is not maintained and that it is a fee area. Hopefully that will keep ma and pa barker from travelling out to the flats in July and getting stuck. makes for a nasty scenario! But the bad people if they wanted to come out there were coming anyway so we might as well enjoy a decent road. I was thinking speed bumps but not sure if they are going to put those in.

As for the bridge thru the river it to will be widened this spring as soon as the river ceases to flow. We are widening it to 36' from 12' this should cure the traffic issues on the big weekends. Although I have decided to help with traffic congestion on big weekends by staying home. :thumb:

yeah true...I hear ya

Thankyou for supporting the dunes and fighting for our rights YNOT, and the rest of the DDR group..I guess the meeting do make a diffrence..

Your welcome. I appreciate the opportunity to help! Yes the meetings do make a difference, in the past i have wondered myself if they do but I have to believe that we do make a difference in our world if we participate.

I am so happy about this, the ride in the Motorhome will be so much easier. :woo_hoo::crash::clap::clap: When you come in on the busy weekends people will not be able to go fast because there is a line to get in.

Thank you everyone that made this possible. :wedgie:

When you say recycled pavement , do u mean rotomilling? as in black type 2? or is it cold mix based asphalt? Or is it regular asphault:? Sorry for all the questions :crash:

not all of us are dirt and asphalt farmers...who knows :wedgie:

not all of us are dirt and asphalt farmers...who knows :crash:

yeah ok i didnt think of that reason being that i asked is

1. black type2 -"recycled asphault" will be 3/4 inch type rock and will still be dusty if not watered

2.cold mix-is asphault based but not as solid as regular asphault it will break down and doesnt hold up as well as regular asphault

3 regular asphault- would be bad a$$ and will last for yr's

thats the only reason i asked :wedgie:

all i can say is thanks for who ever is responsible. no more open cabinet doors no more :clap: watch out for the hole :wedgie: it's going to be good . and for the people that people have talked about there coming no matter what road there is to drive there still coming so let us all just soak it up and hopefully let the rangers handle um. :woo_hoo::crash:

I for one love this idea and would like to thank whoever is responsible for making this happen. :clap: My only question is this: Is it possible to put the big sweeping speed bumps along the road is there is enough asphalt to do so with??? I truely believe that this would keep the speeds down of people who decide to haul the mail on that road. :woo_hoo: Or is there a way for the rangers to monitor the road at least on the big weekends so nobody gets hurt, crashes, or gets hit on that road. I for one will only do about 20 - 25 mph on that road like I'm supposed to. I am excited and glad this is happening, but the idiots scare me....... :wedgie:

Just wondering............ :crash::clap:

yeah ok i didnt think of that reason being that i asked is

1. black type2 -"recycled asphault" will be 3/4 inch type rock and will still be dusty if not watered

2.cold mix-is asphault based but not as solid as regular asphault it will break down and doesnt hold up as well as regular asphault

3 regular asphault- would be bad a$$ and will last for yr's

thats the only reason i asked :crash:

Black type II (recycled asphalt) is only a road base just like reuglar type II. I'd like to see them lay cold mix all the way down that road. Cold mix is mainly for a temporary patch job. Black type II might work with the heat and traffic compacting it, but would be really effective if mixed with a little oil and then compacted. Anything would be better than what it was though. As far as the crossing one would hope that just as the current crossing, they are using concrete.

Edited by BALL-N-CHAIN

I asked the BLM about speedbumps yesterday and here's the response:

We are not planning on putting up speed bumps now. This would be something that the TRT would have to discuss and advise us about. They could be added later as there are portable ones that can be placed then moved. I'd like the TRT to think about this and consider all the traffic, including ambulances with back injuries, etc. and advise us before we would take an action.

So... if anyone is interested in pursuing this idea, April 17th's TRT meeting would be a dandy time to do it!

Vicki

Thank you all that has been fighting fo Dumont Dunes... keep up the great work... we come from Huntington Beach and no it will be even more of a joy to only have to just find a spot in the rough instead of the 20-30 min to get down the road..... Thanks again for the efforts to all that have made this possible and to keep it up...me & my family started coming here a few yrs back cause of the family atmosphere that we see at Dumont.. Thanks Again :wedgie: :woo_hoo::crash:

I was there this weekend and I tell you it was a mess. The semis hauling in the stuff were getting stuck doing u's, a th got stuck and broke trying to go around. Funny seeing our friend in his chevy with the rhino in the bed unstick one of the semis. We were still there about 45 mins waiting.

The black stuff was laying all down the middle of the road. We had to cross it several times. It looks like it will compact ok but in long run will loosen quickly also, depending on how the spread it. (not bein a pro) It looks like they were laying it over all the washboard and potholes. It will be exciting to see how it all ends up. Anything will be better than it was. Thanks to all.

Just some of what I saw.

yeah we heard about that from one of the vendors last week when we were there over spring break, but using recycled pieces of old asphalt, the vendor didn't seem to think that that was a good idea but hey, actually after that road last week, anything would be better than what's there now...will be interesting to see how well it all works and if it stays together. we are sure they all "know what they are doing"--good to see our $$$ being put to use. :laughoff:

Edited by Rockinfigs

This has been a question of ours for the past few years now. This last dune season has been kind of rough on the Hauler. I just hate when BLM waters the road too much, like on New Years weekend. That nasty sticky mud is hell getting off the truck and trailer. I am very HAPPY about the road going in to the dunes. I hope people respect the road and what you guys are striving for. Good Job!!!!! :laughoff::laughoff:

I am surprised to see it happen this fast. The TRT was notified and we agreed that using recycled pavement from I15 was a good use of our fee demo funds. The actual cost is a substanial savings to us and the asphalt is basically free. We have to pay for grading and hauling but the labor and material is free. There has been a big fuss about dust control by the greenies and this is the easiest way to get them off the subject and make an improvement for the duning community. I was not planning on releasing the information about the road until after the TRT meeting on Tue.but the cat's outta the bag. So their will be a 2 lane pave road from the highway to the pay station. I was not sure I wanted the road paved but after the last couple of times out the road was so rough i am sure my equiptment will appreciate the pavement. We looked at the cost of the road and what the cost of the upkeep on the dirt road and found that it will save us a lot of money over time.

Terry

isn't it funny that the greenies ALWAYS have something to complain about?? Dust??? oh yeah, it is hurting the respitory system of all the rocks!!! :laughoff:

isn't it funny that the greenies ALWAYS have something to complain about?? Dust??? oh yeah, it is hurting the respitory system of all the rocks!!! :dunce:

Whats even worse is someone believes them and all there BS crybaby ways..I wouldent mind if they wanted to work together but they are always just trying to close places down period.. :ninja:

Yeah, that is awsome news! everytime we go out to dumont i always catch myself bitching about the damn holes. put a dent in our fender the first time we went out there (At night) cuz darrells truck is a little bit lowered. Cant wait to see it. ( gotta get the quad out of the shop first tho lol)

Edited by Resident^Blonde