Paving the Dumont entrance RD..

1BADYFZ

You just made my point for me....you said "it's a road to an OFF ROAD area"...i totally agree with you there, so what is the point in doing anything to the road if its an "OFF ROAD" road???? thats not rocket science is it??? :beercheers: and dust is no excuse because IT IS A DESERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do people expect from a desert?

There was an article in Pahrumps newspaper just recently concerning Dumont dunes and the

groups and local towns like Tecopa and Pahrump and even Amargosa trying to shut the

dunes down due to waste dumped on roads, trash overflowing dumpsters in neighboring towns

and eccesive dust and it was mentioned that groups like FODD were trying to help by doing a

dune clean up and dust control.Anything these tree huggers can use to shut the dunes down

dust,bugs,plants they will try anything. We are lucky to have people like Vicki and Terry

trying to stand up for our rights as off road users. The road will never be smooth but if we

can show the tree huggers we are trying to work on a fix to their concerns it holds them off

from shutting down Dumont like they did to part of Glamis and Pismo. By the way thank you

Terry and Vicki for all you do with TRT and all the abuse you take on here for trying to help

us all. :no_no:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dust issue is not an "excuse." It is a serious problem, not just here but in many of our off-road areas.

A lawsuit was filed a while back about the dust in Ocotillo Wells. One suggestion for that area was (and you'll love this) to pave all the off-road trails.

No, I'm not kidding.

Closing an off-road area due to blowing dust defies common sense.

But common sense does not have a place in these lawsuits.

The situation is really quite simple -- cure the dust problem.

Their solution is to close Dumont.

We're working to find a better solution.

Join the side that's working to keep it open or help the other side by ignoring/denying the problem.

Choice is yours.

Vicki

I agree that we have to please the dumbass environmentalists...dust is going to happen if it is windy so should we put brick walls around all deserts and dunes so the people over 30 miles away will shut up...im just saying i wish these tree huggers would get a life and do something better with their time...i appreciate anything anyone does to help the dunes stay open...i just wish we wouldnt have to worry about such trivial stuff such as dust of all things

Edited by Spider

You can argue all you want about dust. The fact of the matter is it is considered air pollution. Especially here in Clark County. That doesn't mean I agree with it....it's just a fact we have to deal with.

Dust

Dust pollution or Particulate Matter (PM10 and PM2.5), in our metropolitan area, is caused when tiny particles of dust or matter becomes airborne. Disturbed vacant land, construction activity and paved road dust are the biggest contributors to dust pollution in the Las Vegas valley. Construction sites are regulated and monitored by Clark County Air Quality compliance officers.

A significant source of dust in the Las Vegas valley is from disturbed vacant land, unpaved roads, unpaved parking lots and dirt shoulders. Driving on dirt: those unpaved shoulders, roads, parking lots and across vacant parcels causes this dust to become airborne. High levels of PM10 and PM2.5 can be a significant health risk.

Contrary to what many residents might think, dust is not a natural phenomenon of desert living. Native desert soils are crusted by years of wind, sun and rain. It takes sustained winds of 25 mph to disturb this desert soil. The dust you raise taking that shortcut may not seem like a big deal, but when the soil's crust is broken and the wind blows, this dust becomes airborne, contributing to valley's dust or particulate matter pollution.

For more info...click

You can argue all you want about dust. The fact of the matter is it is considered air pollution. Especially here in Clark County. That doesn't mean I agree with it....it's just a fact we have to deal with.

For more info...click

i agree but that is in a metropolitan area...not in the middle of nowhere...eventually 2 strokes will be outlawed too because they create too much pollution, etc etc etc...its always going to be one thing after another but we have no choice if we wanna ride :angry2:

Well I'm new to this site and slighty new to the Dunes 6 months ago the rode was way better so at first without knowing facts you get a little pissy when the road is worse but now knowing I'll help in whatever way I can to keep the dunes from shutting down that includes going to meeting if it will help anything.

And BTW who cares what they do with the money. The other choice is Amargosa with no bathrooms and talk about roads going in LOL do you have a trailer left when your done is the question not how slow you go.

So I have to agree with Vicki lets just do what we have to do to keep it open and smile :ban-split:

i agree but that is in a metropolitan area...not in the middle of nowhere...eventually 2 strokes will be outlawed too because they create too much pollution, etc etc etc...its always going to be one thing after another but we have no choice if we wanna ride :ban-split:

they kinda already are in California.

You cannot buy any new 2 stroke powered bike,quad,weedeater or jet ski.....or so I have been told.

For more info...click

I should take some videos of the sand storms that happen here and prove these idiots wrong. Sometimes it gets so bad you can't see 10 feet in front of you.

Well I'm new to this site and slighty new to the Dunes 6 months ago the rode was way better so at first without knowing facts you get a little pissy when the road is worse but now knowing I'll help in whatever way I can to keep the dunes from shutting down that includes going to meeting if it will help anything.

And BTW who cares what they do with the money. The other choice is Amargosa with no bathrooms and talk about roads going in LOL do you have a trailer left when your done is the question not how slow you go.

So I have to agree with Vicki lets just do what we have to do to keep it open and smile :ban-split:

If you are new, then you havent seen everything change and develop into what it is today....and who cares what they do with the money????????? i think we all care what they do with the money...that doesnt make much sense to not care :angry2:

If you are new, then you havent seen everything change and develop into what it is today....and who cares what they do with the money????????? i think we all care what they do with the money...that doesnt make much sense to not care :beercheers:

"THE ROAD SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that is what our money goes to, then the blm can keep it for themselves...i couldnt go faster than 15 mph unless I wanted a headache after i got off the road...should have left the damn road alone...now the prices are doubled...i wonder what the blm is going to do next with the extra money....make the road have whoops like comp hill??? like i said before, ordinary citizens' imput does not make a difference when it comes to the government...because if it did, the road would not be screwed up now...im done with my ranting about the road...hopefully over the summer the road will magically go back to the way it was."

Kinda looks to me as if your saying the same thing? On one hand your giving him the what for as things have changed but your bitchen in other posts that nothing has changed except for bathrooms(which by the way were installed before fee demo money came around) Then you say you don't care what they do as your not going to have any say in the matter. trust me the money is the issue! You have a say, you may not always feel that you have made a difference but trust me you do. I have felt that way many times just in the last year and then all of a sudden they get it and it clicks. You never know what you can accomplish unless you try.

"THE ROAD SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that is what our money goes to, then the blm can keep it for themselves...i couldnt go faster than 15 mph unless I wanted a headache after i got off the road...should have left the damn road alone...now the prices are doubled...i wonder what the blm is going to do next with the extra money....make the road have whoops like comp hill??? like i said before, ordinary citizens' imput does not make a difference when it comes to the government...because if it did, the road would not be screwed up now...im done with my ranting about the road...hopefully over the summer the road will magically go back to the way it was."

Kinda looks to me as if your saying the same thing? On one hand your giving him the what for as things have changed but your bitchen in other posts that nothing has changed except for bathrooms(which by the way were installed before fee demo money came around) Then you say you don't care what they do as your not going to have any say in the matter. trust me the money is the issue! You have a say, you may not always feel that you have made a difference but trust me you do. I have felt that way many times just in the last year and then all of a sudden they get it and it clicks. You never know what you can accomplish unless you try.

all i was saying is of course we care what they do with it, but its not worth loosing sleep over because they control the money and where it goes...thats all...never said anything about bathrooms (at least i dont think i did)...i couldnt care less if anything changed at all and we still had to pay the fees...its been good for decades the way it was, so why change a good thing?? so as of now, the road is screwed up even worse, but hopefully they will cure the problem and we will all be happy....and if they dont fix it, then we will have to :beercheers:

I should take some videos of the sand storms that happen here and prove these idiots wrong. Sometimes it gets so bad you can't see 10 feet in front of you.

Don, does that happen after a big burrito fart????? :thumb::laughing:

If you are new, then you havent seen everything change and develop into what it is today....and who cares what they do with the money????????? i think we all care what they do with the money...that doesnt make much sense to not care :thumb:

I might have not seen much change.That's forsure.But I have seen the road change and just because I'm new doesn't mean I can't notice the difference in the road or now help make one and the part about the money is I just figured we were paying for the camp host and bathrooms to stay clean so I didn't give it much thought it's just not enough money to lose sleep over.

I might have not seen much change.That's forsure.But I have seen the road change and just because I'm new doesn't mean I can't notice the difference in the road or now help make one and the part about the money is I just figured we were paying for the camp host and bathrooms to stay clean so I didn't give it much thought it's just not enough money to lose sleep over.

None of our money goes to the camp hosts. They (Don & Ellen) volunteer and do it for free. They even spend some of their OWN MONEY on things.

None of our money goes to the camp hosts. They (Don & Ellen) volunteer and do it for free. They even spend some of their OWN MONEY on things.

Thanks for that info. So does that mean so far they've built restrooms and tried to fix the road with the money so far? B)

Yes, the road and the restrooms were both funded by money from the fee demo funds. :laughing:

Actually that's not quite right Pete. The restrooms were built before the fee money came in to being. they were funded by allocations from the Federal Goverment. The hosts and the maintaining of the restrooms are in fact paid thru our fee demo money. The volunteers get a small amount of $ to stay out there and are provided all the neccasary cleaning and TP supplies by BLM purchased with fee demo dollars. The road maintaince for the last 2 and a half years has been paid for by the fee demo money also. The BLM was spending about $10K a year just in gravel to put on the entrance road. Part of our reason to go with the recycled asphalt is to not have that expense. Hopefully that works and we will recoup our expenses of the road over a short time period. :thumb:

The camp hosts should be paid or atleast funded enough to not have to use their own money. Don and Ellen do a great job with almost no recognition. Here's to them. :DDRrocks:

I agree with Don on this point. They do a Helluva job, especially being able to keep up on the big weekends. We've all seen what kind of mayhem and disrespect is played out in the shidders during the holidays. Pathetic to say the least. But when I head down shortly after sunrise each morning, there they are in all of their shining, spotless glory.

Cheers to Don & Ellen. :mc_smiley:

Actually that's not quite right Pete. The restrooms were built before the fee money came in to being. they were funded by allocations from the Federal Goverment. The hosts and the maintaining of the restrooms are in fact paid thru our fee demo money. The volunteers get a small amount of $ to stay out there and are provided all the neccasary cleaning and TP supplies by BLM purchased with fee demo dollars. The road maintaince for the last 2 and a half years has been paid for by the fee demo money also. The BLM was spending about $10K a year just in gravel to put on the entrance road. Part of our reason to go with the recycled asphalt is to not have that expense. Hopefully that works and we will recoup our expenses of the road over a short time period. :mc_smiley:

oops. ok, sorry- I tried. :beercheers:

I heard from Don himself that they spend money out of their own pockets on supplies so I just assumed they didn't get paid anything at all. Whatever it is- it's still not enough.

As for the restrooms, that's right :laughing: I forgot how long they have been there and that fees weren't around back then. Ahh the good ol days.

...so I was at least like 25 or 30% correct then, right? :DDRrocks::headbang1: