Paving the Dumont entrance RD..

1BADYFZ

What your missin Tyler is the fact that a lot of fee demo money went into this and it turned out worse than it was. I understand that I am taking my motorhome where it probably wasn't designed to go and I try to go slow and take it easy on it. However I was looking forward to a nicer entry road not a worse one. It won't stop me from going but I will be asking where the money went on tuesday.

Yep...what a POS road now. :shake: It would have been better to just leave it alone.

Tyler, you are missing the point. Many of us were ok with the road before. BUT, now it is worse and several THOUSAND dollars later we are left with a road worse than what it was before. If they were gonna do this to be an improvement, they should have done it right.

wow I think your being a lil harsh here. glad your friends were able to go out and buy "cheaper" toyhaulers. alot of us might not have alot of money, or 300k motorhomes, but we do take pride in our stuff. and do pay alot in fees to use dumont. and if our fees went into this crappy road (from what I hear) I would think our money could of been better spent. I think thats what the gripe is mostly. We are all used to the rough road and lots of dust, its the freakin dunes for goodness sake. but to use funds and the road is actually worse, well thats just stupid. everyone is entitled to their opinion, dont think this needs to become a slam fest of calling people whiners :laughing:

I dont know if you are playing with a full deck here...regardless if my toyhauler/mh is 5 dollars or 150k, why do i want it to be ruined or damaged because the blm decides to do a half a$$ job on the road...nobody wants that stuff to be thrown up against their rigs...

Also, why would I want my 60 dollars, 120 dollars, etc? for fees to go to a road that is going to ruin my stuff and be worse than the dirt road that was already there...why dont they use our fees on something more useful like more rangers, etc...

And by the way, this has nothing to do with dune riding as you eluded to...it has to deal with the stupid blm wasting our fee money on something that was doomed to fail from the beginning.

let me just say this.....im not missing any point! i agree with everyone here about how the road must suck. and just because some people can buy other stuff to go out with puts them in there own league....which i am not a part of. i dont want my sh*t thrashed either, but im not going to sit here and complain about it. yes the blm probably did not "do it right" but what the hell does everyone expect from the government. all in all i pay my dues just like everyone else and of course would like to see a well maintained road, but dont forget, we all created the washboards together, so i am just saying ,i hate people who cry at spilt milk, when they indeed spilt it. cant we just all get along............... :laughing:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's the deal! The road as of now is unfinished. It needs to be watered and rolled. Do I think it's going to be as smooth as a baby's behind, no. Will it be better, I certainly hope so. BLM was advised that the road needs smoothing out and rolling along with some material at the entrance as it is already showing through. This was noted by BLM and all we can do is hope that it will be taken care of. The cost was $98,000.00 which paid for 300 loads of recycled asphalt. Would I like to have my street as an entrance road? To be honest no I would not, never wanted the road paved and this is as close as I want it to be. The main concern on the road was to cut the dust down, to that degree it did the job it was supposed to and will continue to do so. Is the road a drag strip well to some idiots it always has. Nothing has changed if you see a fast moving vehicle coming by you move to the right and slow down or stop to avoid rocks etc. That hasn't changed nor will it appear to change in the future. The areas surronding Dumont, IE Shoshone and Tecopa are complaining about the dust, trash and black tank dumping so the battle is coming. Take your trash and black tanks back home not to the roadside or into these small towns as they are complaining about being overwhelmed by traffic and trash. This may have a greenie based backing but it is a battle brewing none the less.

Spider, if your so damm interested in how the money is spent maybe you should get off your butt and join Friends of Dumont Dunes and help out, or at the very least talk to a board member to get the real skinny on where the money is going. As a matter of fact more Law Enforcement has been a focus over the last 2 years along with the road improvements, bridge improvments etc. that have been done and are planned. So before you condem those that try to save your riding area for you maybe you should get yourself involved!

Further notice is that fees will be going up next year to make up for lost green sticker money and approprations that we lost from the state of CA. and the federal Goverment. Here's the breakdown;

7 day pass $30.00

Annual pass $90.00

Holiday surcharge $10.00 (applies to halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years, Presidents Day and Easter)

Annual pass upgrade to include all 5 holiday periods $120.00

This makes sense to have the users on the busy weekend help pay for the added LEO's and EMT's that are needed.

My thanks to Dave for going down with me and to Mike for taking the time to go to the meeting . Remember the public is invited and encourged to attend these meetings. The next one is June 5th at 10:00 AM at the BLM field office in Barstow.

Terry

I just want to say thanks to Terrry, Dave & Woody attending these meetings and fighting for all of our rights and our dunes. I appreciate all your time and effort. And everyone else who attends.

well i haven't been out there yet to see for myself but from the pics i think it's a hell of a step in the right direction and i'm sure it's better than what was there before. i also don't mind paying more to have fun because i know at least in my case i've got $18,000 in quads and $40,000 in motorhome so what's a measily $120 :thumbsdown: hey, if we don't like paying theres always amargosa :D try that road on for size :beerpint: just my opinion.

I don't know about that road, I'm about to buy a new 5th wheel for this next dune season. I sure would hate to see it get rocked my first time out. I don't know how many of you been to the Las Vegas motor speedway, but in the parking lot they have what looks like to be the same thing. But they have a sealent over it whitch seems to work out pretty good. Hopefully they will seal it......

Edited by Jusdune

Ok, here's the deal! The road as of now is unfinished. It needs to be watered and rolled. Do I think it's going to be as smooth as a baby's behind, no. Will it be better, I certainly hope so. BLM was advised that the road needs smoothing out and rolling along with some material at the entrance as it is already showing through. This was noted by BLM and all we can do is hope that it will be taken care of. The cost was $98,000.00 which paid for 300 loads of recycled asphalt. Would I like to have my street as an entrance road? To be honest no I would not, never wanted the road paved and this is as close as I want it to be. The main concern on the road was to cut the dust down, to that degree it did the job it was supposed to and will continue to do so. Is the road a drag strip well to some idiots it always has. Nothing has changed if you see a fast moving vehicle coming by you move to the right and slow down or stop to avoid rocks etc. That hasn't changed nor will it appear to change in the future. The areas surronding Dumont, IE Shoshone and Tecopa are complaining about the dust, trash and black tank dumping so the battle is coming. Take your trash and black tanks back home not to the roadside or into these small towns as they are complaining about being overwhelmed by traffic and trash. This may have a greenie based backing but it is a battle brewing none the less.

Spider, if your so damm interested in how the money is spent maybe you should get off your butt and join Friends of Dumont Dunes and help out, or at the very least talk to a board member to get the real skinny on where the money is going. As a matter of fact more Law Enforcement has been a focus over the last 2 years along with the road improvements, bridge improvments etc. that have been done and are planned. So before you condem those that try to save your riding area for you maybe you should get yourself involved!

Further notice is that fees will be going up next year to make up for lost green sticker money and approprations that we lost from the state of CA. and the federal Goverment. Here's the breakdown;

7 day pass $30.00

Annual pass $90.00

Holiday surcharge $10.00 (applies to halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years, Presidents Day and Easter)

Annual pass upgrade to include all 5 holiday periods $120.00

This makes sense to have the users on the busy weekend help pay for the added LEO's and EMT's that are needed.

My thanks to Dave for going down with me and to Mike for taking the time to go to the meeting . Remember the public is invited and encourged to attend these meetings. The next one is June 5th at 10:00 AM at the BLM field office in Barstow.

Terry

You are right, I could attend every meeting possible, write letters, start organizations, etc., but honestly that isnt going to do much. My opinion is that the blm and government in general are going to do what they want with our money no matter what we do. Discussing stuff with the government is like talking to a brick wall. JMO

let me just say this.....im not missing any point! i agree with everyone here about how the road must suck. and just because some people can buy other stuff to go out with puts them in there own league....which i am not a part of. i dont want my sh*t thrashed either, but im not going to sit here and complain about it. yes the blm probably did not "do it right" but what the hell does everyone expect from the government. all in all i pay my dues just like everyone else and of course would like to see a well maintained road, but dont forget, we all created the washboards together, so i am just saying ,i hate people who cry at spilt milk, when they indeed spilt it. cant we just all get along............... :DDRrocks:

:DDRrocks: yes indeed we all did

You are right, I could attend every meeting possible, write letters, start organizations, etc., but honestly that isnt going to do much. My opinion is that the blm and government in general are going to do what they want with our money no matter what we do. Discussing stuff with the government is like talking to a brick wall. JMO

Spider, not trying to push but how can you fix something if you are unwilling to fight/stand up and be counted? Your bitchen here is not going to accomplish anything that I can see other than to lump you in with the other dune users who "don't want to get involved" but want everything they might need such as seeing a friendly EMT/LEO when you laying in the sand trying to breath! You get what you pay for and after as much time as I ghave spent at FoDD meetings, confrence calls and TRT meetings I am standing here telling you that you are getting every bang for your buck that you can get. So I am sorry that you feel the way you do, maybe this isn't the sport you should be involved in? Maybe golf or croquet where you can b*tch to the ref of groundskeeper. Otherwise if you have no wish to get involved nor a belief that it does no good to do so let me leave you with this, If the users and TRT had not fought to hold costs down and make BLM account for the money spent you would have gotten a lot stiffer increase no road improvements and no bridge widening that is coming this summer.

I do appreciate your opinion I just don't agree.

Terry

Once again I stand by what I said earlier in this thread. Looks like more work to be done, and instead of bitching about it, I am hoping the next time I go down that road that it will be less dusty and maybe a bit smoother.

Thanks Terry (ynot) for all your efforts. :dope: Thankless job, no pay there must be thousands of people waiting to take your position :dope:

Spider, not trying to push but how can you fix something if you are unwilling to fight/stand up and be counted? Your bitchen here is not going to accomplish anything that I can see other than to lump you in with the other dune users who "don't want to get involved" but want everything they might need such as seeing a friendly EMT/LEO when you laying in the sand trying to breath! You get what you pay for and after as much time as I ghave spent at FoDD meetings, confrence calls and TRT meetings I am standing here telling you that you are getting every bang for your buck that you can get. So I am sorry that you feel the way you do, maybe this isn't the sport you should be involved in? Maybe golf or croquet where you can b*tch to the ref of groundskeeper. Otherwise if you have no wish to get involved nor a belief that it does no good to do so let me leave you with this, If the users and TRT had not fought to hold costs down and make BLM account for the money spent you would have gotten a lot stiffer increase no road improvements and no bridge widening that is coming this summer.

Terry

well said terry :dope:

Terry

Edited by foolofsand

I'm taking it that none of you have ever driven down Wash road to get to your campsite!?! The road into Dumont is like the road into the Playboy mansion compared to Wash road. Seems to be alot of people out ot impress the Jonses rather than enjoy the dune experience. Dust and sand are kind of what the whole duning experience is all about. Seems we could just live with it.

Looks like they didn't even spray down tack before they dumped the chunks. WTF? I mean, I'm just a small town white boy trying to make ends meet but I do know that the gravel/asphalt has to have an agent to adhere to. Common sense would tell you to grade, saturate, pack the surface, then apply some sticky sh!t to keep this stuff in place before you put it down.

Even back in Arkansas after they prep a dirt road they drop some tack, then some pea gravel/chat, and after about three or four days of people driving on it it turns out just like the I-15. Not rocket science...

Edited by aceisback

Personally the road is worse, it is washboard all way to the entrance 25 mph speed limit? you barely go 15.

THE ROAD SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that is what our money goes to, then the blm can keep it for themselves...i couldnt go faster than 15 mph unless I wanted a headache after i got off the road...should have left the damn road alone...now the prices are doubled...i wonder what the blm is going to do next with the extra money....make the road have whoops like comp hill??? :laughing: like i said before, ordinary citizens' imput does not make a difference when it comes to the government...because if it did, the road would not be screwed up now...im done with my ranting about the road...hopefully over the summer the road will magically go back to the way it was.

Edited by Spider

The road is not finished, it is to rolled and watered and rolled again. The main reason the road is a success is the dust level. We have quite a bit of problems coming from surronding communities and dust was one of them but this is the first step. Will the road be a smoooth road, probably not. Will there be less dust for us and others to endure it looks like it.

Thanks for your input Spider as usual there are the b*tchers and moaners who never get involved until it's all over and noone can criticize the decisions they made as they don't make any!

This isn't rocket science, it's a road to an OFF ROAD area, if you want smooth highways go watch drag races at the speedway where the tickets for the weekend are a cpl hundred instead of $120.00 for the whole year! Cause as of now your talking to :laughing:

Terry

The road is not finished, it is to rolled and watered and rolled again. The main reason the road is a success is the dust level. We have quite a bit of problems coming from surronding communities and dust was one of them but this is the first step. Will the road be a smoooth road, probably not. Will there be less dust for us and others to endure it looks like it.

Thanks for your input Spider as usual there are the b*tchers and moaners who never get involved until it's all over and noone can criticize the decisions they made as they don't make any!

This isn't rocket science, it's a road to an OFF ROAD area, if you want smooth highways go watch drag races at the speedway where the tickets for the weekend are a cpl hundred instead of $120.00 for the whole year! Cause as of now your talking to :laughing:

Terry

:thumb: exactly............well put terry.

Terry, I think it's great that there are people like you out there that do everything you do for the cause. But you know what, some of us just are'nt "get involved" people. Some of us just want to go ride, that's it. Sorry, I don't want to get involved in any arguments here, I just wanted to point that out.

Dunepilot, I fully understand that there are people out there that don't want to do anything more than ride. That is why we who do speak(those that do) do it for you. At least we can ask for is your support. Other than that if we loose a battle and we loose the dunes all your riding/camping toys will be worthless. I think I speak for others that are active at the Dumont level are not looking for a pat on the back (although everybody likes to be appreciated) we are willing to step forward and defend our rights to recreate as we see fit on public lands. I have reasons that differ from others but our cause is just the same. We ask that if your not willing to speak up that at least you support us by joining the user groups such as Friends of Dumont Dunes, CORVA, Blue Ribbon coalition etc. By doing so you do stand up and defend the areas of open land that the greenies and self serving people are trying to take away from all of us.

If you don't step in and support the user groups than what will you do if we do lose the battle? I don't think quads make good end tables? So I/we do understand your position but you can speak without being heard thru your wallet and support behind the scenes. i hope i have encourged you to look into that side of this issue.

thanks,

Terry

The main reason the road is a success is the dust level. We have quite a bit of problems coming from surronding communities and dust was one of them but this is the first step.

This one seems to escape logic based on Dumonts location. Who or what are we protecting from dust?

The dust issue has very little to do with protecting any one or any thing in particular.

It's not even closely linked to the Endangered Species Act.

It is just another tool for the anti-access crazies to use against us.

Like it or not there are regulations regarding dust particle size as it relates to human health and enforcement is becoming very strict.

Since we cannot possibly win this argument by trying to claim we do not create dust, we must work within the system. Helping the BLM find solutions to this problem is one way to work within the system.

Vicki

A word about the dust possibly effecting the surrounding towns/populace.

Is this likely? No way. Can they prove that the dust kicked up by Dumont users is bothering them?

They don't have to. The regulations are there to support the argument against allowing the dust problem to continue.

Would we win if we got sued to shut down due to dust? Possibly.

After lots and lots of money is spent... money that has to come from somewhere.

So please, before anyone scoffs at this issue, you might how much it would cost to fight against it versus how much it cost to show we are working to fix it.

Vicki

This isn't rocket science, it's a road to an OFF ROAD area, if you want smooth highways go watch drag races at the speedway where the tickets for the weekend are a cpl hundred instead of $120.00 for the whole year! Cause as of now your talking to :no_no:

Terry

You just made my point for me....you said "it's a road to an OFF ROAD area"...i totally agree with you there, so what is the point in doing anything to the road if its an "OFF ROAD" road???? thats not rocket science is it??? :beercheers: and dust is no excuse because IT IS A DESERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do people expect from a desert?

Edited by Spider

and dust is no excuse because IT IS A DESERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do people expect from a desert?

The dust issue is not an "excuse." It is a serious problem, not just here but in many of our off-road areas.

A lawsuit was filed a while back about the dust in Ocotillo Wells. One suggestion for that area was (and you'll love this) to pave all the off-road trails.

No, I'm not kidding.

Closing an off-road area due to blowing dust defies common sense.

But common sense does not have a place in these lawsuits.

The situation is really quite simple -- cure the dust problem.

Their solution is to close Dumont.

We're working to find a better solution.

Join the side that's working to keep it open or help the other side by ignoring/denying the problem.

Choice is yours.

Vicki