Paving the Dumont entrance RD..

1BADYFZ

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

next time i'm in a real truck (instead of my dads f-250 that sinks like a rock in sand) i'm going my normal route through the little dunes. wouldn't recomend it to stock 4x's with trailers though

Not that I advocate speeding or reckless driving, but it is a proven fact that the faster you drive down a washboard road the smoother it is. Rather that driving through the bumps you can travel across the tops by increasing speed. Its even been proved on mythbusters.

Not that I advocate speeding or reckless driving, but it is a proven fact that the faster you drive down a washboard road the smoother it is. Rather that driving through the bumps you can travel across the tops by increasing speed. Its even been proved on mythbusters.

We sped up to 25 from 10 and it got a little better, besides even mythbuster proved that it gets smoother if you drive a faster and would they lie?

Edited by mineurbiz

I drove down this weekend at about 40, the fastest I have ever hauled my camper down that road, it helped some. I grew up out in the sticks and washboard roads were just a fact of life.

On a positive note it did seem less dusty!!!!

Edited by Kens Colors

• 1 month later...

Was passing Dumont this afternoon and decided to do a quick road check and it looks like it's been graded and nothing else. It's not washed out as it was right after they had started, and I don't think there is enough material there for them to oil/roll/seal. Hopefully I am wrong. Anyhow it's a much smoother road and the dust kicked up has been greatly reduced.

well i'll tell ya that road is a little bit better. probably alot better for trucks but as far as me and my motorhome go it is still TOTALLY :grin: i timed the travel from the guard shack/trailer to the highway and it took 30 minutes!! because anything over 5 mph it wouldn't have stayed together to get to the road! it still needs lots of work and the clock is ticking.... at that rate a busy weekend traffic will be backed up to the road and it'll take an hour or more to get in :laughing:

Hubby went out yesterday for a early short run. The road was still wash board but ---the river crossing IS wider. He said it was pretty nice and looked like it had just been done.

Edited by BALL-N-CHAIN

Hubby went out yesterday for a early short run. The road was still wash board but ---the river crossing IS wider. He said it was pretty nice and looked like it had just been done.

Very cool. He didn't get any pics did he?

Washboard? I thought it was supposed to be paved?

Keep in mind that even when it is done, it won't be paved in a way that we think of as "paved."

I guess the best way to describe it would be, it will no longer be a graded dirt road. Ground-up pavement will be spread on it to help alleviate the dust problems.

The idea of paving the entrance road has been argued against for a long time, if only because a smoother road encourages faster speeds. This should achieve as close to a compromise as we can get... we still won't be able to speed along the road but the dust problem will keep the anti-access groups from raising hell and closing the road altogether.

Vicki