Back from my 1st trip to Coral Pink

Here is our trip summary from my first trip to Coral Pink....

Friday morning started out slow, cause some people dont know how to be prepared ahead of time for a big trip :dunno: the plan was to leave town at 7am instead we rolled out around 9am. The drive out was uneventful other than watching the trailer sway all over the highway :dance: I dont think a Ford F150 is supposed to haul that much weight, but the guys (Mike and Bret) said it was 'only' 5 quads and enough camping gear, food and wood for 6 people for a week. So we arrive at Coral Pink around noon, set up camp and unload the bikes then it was time for a ride. First time in the dunes was a little intimidating for me, but I got use to it after a few rides. I was worried about how my little Z400 was going to run, but it ran better than the YFZ and R450 :laughoff: . I should mention thanks to NLVREDNECK for hooking me up with the pipe, sprocket and jetting. My bike ran like a champ and I am excited to get it to Amargosa or Dumont so I can really compare the difference. I was able to ride the hills in 2nd or 3rd and cruise in and out of 3rd and 4th with no problem. I learned to jump unintentionally due to the faces of the dunes being so sharp and having to go so fast to get up them :drinkbeer: . I came close to rolling on the comp hill :slap: hit it pinned in 3rd and hit 2nd almost at the top and my front end pulled up just before I got to the top edge and pulled left, my right front came over the top but I couldn't get it all the way over, so I leaned right steered left, gassed it and got it turned around. The dunes are a lot different there and I learned some more skills, so I am pleased with myself. Bret, Mike and I road all day Friday and Saturday and took a few rides on the 1 way trail which was a rough ride for me, but was so much fun. I kept up with them pretty well on all the rides. I got to ride in YamaPimp's Rhino on some pretty good rides, then he let me drive it :shake: and of course I got it stuck :D . Thanks Kenny, that was fun! Sorry I didn't get a chance to crash the 2 wheeler :laughoff: .The rest of our crew (John and Pat) arrived Saturday night and we partied at camp till late :yawn: .

Sunday we had a crash and 2 are in the hospital.

Sunday morning the 5 of us headed out for a ride, we hit the dunes then the one way trail then stopped at the Ranger Station. We headed back to camp slowly cause the dunes became really hard to read and the R450 was overheating. Mike took off back to camp on his own while the rest of us waited for Bret's bike to cool down. So then the 4 of us were cruising in the dunes and Bret and Pat took off together while John and I took some pics and cruised around. It was John's first ride in Coral Pink, so I was showing him some of the drop offs and how hard it was to see them. We were following the tracks of the other guys and came to a drop off. We could see the flag of 1 bike over the ledge and knew something was wrong. John and I stopped at the top and could see Bret laying next to the R450 on the face of the hill then we looked straight down and saw the YFZ upside down on the bottom of a 20 foot drop off and Pat on the ground next to it. We ran down to them and tried to see how hurt they were. Pat was in a lot of pain and having trouble with his left arm, but he was doing okay. We got his bike flipped over and he took off to camp. We were checking out Bret and he had passed out, but didn't seem to have anything broken. His head and chest had impacted the bike hard enough to bend the handle bars forward and crack the plastics. We got him oriented and got him back to camp. Bret passed out again at camp and was disoriented; Pat was just in a lot of pain. John and I loaded them into the truck and hauled butt to Kanab. Pat has 5 broken ribs on his back left side and a broken collar bone. A rib lacerated his lung and they put in a chest tube and flew him to UMC. Bret came out with no broken bones, but he was in observation on a cardiac monitor cause they were worried about his heart starting to swell from the impact and because he had lost consciousness a couple times. He was picked up from the Kanab hospital today and Pat is still at UMC.

They told us that Bret was leading and Pat was following, Bret was cruising in 3rd and didn't see the drop off. He flew off and hit to face of the opposite hill and was thrown over the handle bars. Pat came over the ledge and saw Bret on the ground right in front of him. He panicked and locked up the brakes to avoid landing on top of Bret. He was thrown from the bike and it rolled over him then rolled again and stopped. He heard John and I coming to the top and started screaming for us to stop, but we couldn't hear him. We were riding slow and could see their tracks so we knew it dropped off and we stopped, and that was how we found them. We would have crashed right into them if we had come over the edge. It was an accident and it could have been worse so we are thankful that they are going to be okay.

Edited by Foxysandchick

I am so sorry to hear that had happend your first time to coral much less it happing any other time.I hope they both will be ok.Glad to see you enjoyed it in spite of what happend.Best wishes to your friends.

Wow, I am glad to hear your friends are going to be ok!!

I can't believe the guy with the broken ribs rode back to camp, he's one brave man!!

Keep us posted on their recovery!!

Crazy thing is he was only complaining about his shoulder hurting. We thought his collar bone might have been broken, but it didn't look bad. He wasn't really complaining about his back ribs at all, he said they were a little tender and thought they were bruised. He walked into the ER and we had to carry the other guy to a wheelchair. He didn't have breathing problems or anything so we (including him) were surprised when the Doc told us.

We were more worried about the other guy, he was in a lot more pain and was passing out. He passed out once and couldn't stand on his own cause his leg was numb. It took us longer to get him up and moving, but he also rode back to camp. He refused to ride double, so we just took it slow and rode with him. He became disoriented and passed out at camp, that was probably from the pain catching up to him. We thought he might have cracked his ribs or sternum, cause he couldn't sit up or really move without crying. They said his chest compressed all the way to his back so his entire chest and organs are bruised, but nothing broke. They were monitoring his heart and observing him for a head injury even though all the tests came back fine.

They were both more upset about missing the rest of the trip than their injuries, so they are in good spirits about it. We all know accidents happen, so we only hope for the best outcomes. They will both be riding again when they are healed and the bikes are fixed, cause they love the sport so much.

I am so sorry to hear that had happend your first time to coral much less it happing any other time.I hope they both will be ok.Glad to see you enjoyed it in spite of what happend.Best wishes to your friends.

Thank you. They will both be fine and they both will get back on bikes and ride again. :D Pat said he is just going to ride with me from now on, cause I am really cautious and I don't ride too fast.

That is about how we ride.enough to have fun but not worth it to get crazy cause the out come of crazy can be very bad.Before we take any big hill we usually ride the flat area to the other side of the hill to check out how it is falling so we aren't falling.Chris ate dirt the last time we were there and thank god all he got was a very ugly bruise on the backside of his knee.wasn't even going 5 miles hr.and he got pulled right off his bike.It looked so stupid the way it happend I was laughing at him and didn't realize he had a boo,boo.Aren't I a nice wifey? :drinkbeer:

That is about how we ride.enough to have fun but not worth it to get crazy cause the out come of crazy can be very bad.Before we take any big hill we usually ride the flat area to the other side of the hill to check out how it is falling so we aren't falling.Chris ate dirt the last time we were there and thank god all he got was a very ugly bruise on the backside of his knee.wasn't even going 5 miles hr.and he got pulled right off his bike.It looked so stupid the way it happend I was laughing at him and didn't realize he had a boo,boo.Aren't I a nice wifey? :drinkbeer:

So nice he is hurt and you laugh geesh some wife you are :laughoff:

Glad to hear that your friends are going to be OK. That is a warning to anybody going to Coral Pink. BE AWARE.. one way its all hills and jumps, and coming back its ALL DROP OFFS. You have to be careful. the way the sand is out there you dont even see them ALLOT of times until it is too late so be carefull going back if your camped at the meadows.

Really glad this is a happy ending, well other than than the lost day or two at Coral. But they will see the handle bars again so all is good!!!

Wow Kristin! :thumb: That sucks about your friends, but it seems like they will recover ok. I always hear stories about people crashing at Coral Pink. The biggest reason for it is like Paul Rob said- the drop offs are almost impossible to see in the middle of the day. When we go up there, we don't even ride during certain times of the day. If we do, we stay to the left side of the dune area where there are more trees and trails.

It still seems like you had fun despite your friends' accidents. I love that place.

Thanks everyone. :D

Also thanks for the warning to everyone else, I should have mentioned that. It was my first weekend to Coral and I had been warned about the drop offs, so I was riding really cautious all weekend. It was the first time for the guy who was riding with me and I had him stop about 5 feet from a long drop off and walk to the edge. He was really surprised cause he hadn't even seen the edge so he followed me back instead of with the other guys. The 2 that crashed had been there before so they knew better, but accidents still happen. We had started the ride early, but stayed out longer than we should have so on our way back it got hard to read the dunes. I came close to rolling my bike coming up a hill cause it is really steep and I had 1 hard landing coming down a drop off, I was lucky and I was able to keep control of the bike. Just want to mention to everyone who plans on going to Coral for the 1st time or the 100th time to be really careful, the dunes are much different than Dumont. Also find out where the closest hospital or medical center is near any place that you are going to ride. I went to another camp to get directions and only 1 person at that camp knew directions to Kanab (thanks Vince). It is also a good idea to have a vehicle ready to drive and all the keys in a common area, so anyone at the camp can get in and drive. :thumb: We are learning from our mistakes, nobody expects to crash and it is better to be overly prepared. Thanks to Kenny (YamaPimp) for coming over to the camp and helping out.

Edited by Foxysandchick

Thanks everyone. :D

Also find out where the closest hospital or medical center is near any place that you are going to ride. I went to another camp to get directions and only 1 person at that camp knew directions to Kanab (thanks Vince). It is also a good idea to have a vehicle ready to drive and all the keys in a common area, so anyone at the camp can get in and drive. :thumb: We are learning from our mistakes, nobody expects to crash and it is better to be overly prepared.

post-1889-1179271526.gif All GOOD advice!!

Thanks to Kenny (YamaPimp) for coming over to the camp and helping out.

Well see, that's the kinda guy he is, always willing to help out a fellow duner!! :D

Update: Bret is out of the Kanab hospital and is back home in Vegas. He got back on a quad and road when he got out of the hospital so he is fine, but I don't think this taught him a lesson :thumb: .

Pat is still in UMC and I have not been able to contact him in his room yet to see how he is doing, but I hear he is doing well. :cripple:

Wow, just outta the hospital and back on a quad. :beercheers: Glad to hear they are both going to be just fine. Always hard to hear someone has a crash bad enough to end up in the hospital. Glad you had a great time at coral.

I cant wait for memorial day, ILL BE RIDING CAREFULLY!! :thumb:

I know there is the one area to camp in where most of the TH's park, then the campng area...which one is rougher to come out of? Cause I just had issues getting stuck and almost had a couple issues not seeing tiny drop offs...I seemed to like to bury myself that weekend, and was very happy I had a reflective helmet on...lol.

I know there is the one area to camp in where most of the TH's park, then the campng area...which one is rougher to come out of? Cause I just had issues getting stuck and almost had a couple issues not seeing tiny drop offs...I seemed to like to bury myself that weekend, and was very happy I had a reflective helmet on...lol.

I didn't go to the designated camping area so I don't know where that leads out into the dunes. We camped in the meadow (primitive style camping) and if you follow the hill out of the meadow and turn right the dunes have steep hills going out and the drop offs are when you head back to the meadow. If you go left out of the meadow then the hills are pretty rounded and there aren't many drop offs. The left will also take you to some nice trails through the trees. Heading out of the meadow and going right to the dunes leads to the Ranger Station if that helps with the orientation. Each of us got buried a couple times, but the sand there is much softer than Dumont and the elevation also robs the bike of some power. We didn't have trouble getting out of the meadow and into the dunes though. :beercheers:

she mentioned comp hill. Where is comp hill at coral?

There isn't one.

Some people call some hills there "comp", but I think they just make it up. I have never heard of such a hill ever since I have been going there.

Update: Bret is out of the Kanab hospital and is back home in Vegas. He got back on a quad and road when he got out of the hospital so he is fine, but I don't think this taught him a lesson :beercheers: .

Pat is still in UMC and I have not been able to contact him in his room yet to see how he is doing, but I hear he is doing well. :beerpint:

Glad to hear that one is back up and riding and that the other is doing good!! :D:D

I like to hear about things when they turn out for the better!!