confused-- death wobble -toyhauler-help! LOL

mrmotard

ok- need a lil help from you guys- i just sold my 97 chevy 3500 dully- and purchased a 2001 dodge 2500 4x4 cummins deisel-- hooked up my 20ft hauler to the new truck and headed out to marysvale a few weeks ago- and anytime any bigger car or truck went by me on the highway the trailer would start rocking,back and forth--- and when a semi went by -(pucker up) it was scary! :poop_hittin_the_fan: -- i have been towing this same trailer since 01 and it has never swayed at all-- no mater what was going by me or at any speed!! im using all the same stuff on the new truck- ball,weight dist., sway bar-- nothing has changed but the truck!! i had lowered the ball to the lowest seting on the hitch, but im thinking it might still be a little to high- it still angles back a little bit on flat ground!- so what do you guys think?? can any of you do a measurement from the ground to the ball on your trucks for me-- i guess i should have measured where it sat on my old truck before i traded it in!! thx for any help or info in advance!! -

what do you carry in your hauler?

was it loaded up the same as always?

might wanna try full water in the tanks/more weight on the hitch.....might have had the scissor action going on :poop_hittin_the_fan:

the only thing i have experienced with the trailer nose being too high/low is that when it was low, braking was the prob as the trailer would "dive" down, and tend to push the tow vehicle a little more... i never did experience the side to side stuff.

btw...how fast were you going?

Dualleys do pull better!! but try moving your load around inside, and like freak said change the links on the equalizer .....mine does it too when a semi goes by its :poop_hittin_the_fan: and im pulling mine with a f-250 super crew

Edited by OFFROADRACER

thx for the reply guys- to answer a few------

i have a sway bar

sways at any speed over 60 when passed,or passing

i tried coming home without the weight dist. at all-- no difference

only had my rhino in it-and a trx250

before i had my dully i towed this trailer with a lowered V6 f150- and never had swaying issues!!

the truck dosnt sway- it holds pretty true- but the trailer!! argh-- im thinking the best thing to do is what was stated in the previous post!! invest in a longer shank to lower the front end and get a little more tounge wieght!!

the rhino goes over the axles- forward just a little-- just light stuff behind it, and coolers in front of it-- ive been loading the same way for years-- the tires are BFG all terrain, and tire pressure is good!!

Hey Brad!

I had the same problem with my trailer. You need to get the trailer level or down in front a little. If you are running the load leveler bars make sure they are not to tight this takes the weight off the back of your truck.(one reason so many people get stuck in the sand at Dumont) I allways try and load they heavy stuff over the axels and forward. It worked for me.

Don T.

Hey Brad!

I had the same problem with my trailer. You need to get the trailer level or down in front a little. If you are running the load leveler bars make sure they are not to tight this takes the weight off the back of your truck.(one reason so many people get stuck in the sand at Dumont) I allways try and load they heavy stuff over the axels and forward. It worked for me.

Don T.

Why does it matter if the links are tight or loose to prvent getting stuck? I need to know because I seem to get stuck alot out there when others dont.

that's it alot of people don't know how they work. years ago there was an add for a hitch company they had the rear wheels off the car and the hubs were not touching the ground.

You can crank the bars up enough to take all the weight including the truck weight off the tires of the truck and put it all on the trailer.

This is how you get stuck easier and also rip hitches off your truck like in Mike330r's case.

I also had the same problem. I lowered my hitch and lessened the tension on the distribution bars and it tows great now. That's the truck I have. Mine is a 2001 Dodge 2500 4X4 V10.

Edited by Don29palms

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the same problem. I lowered my hitch and lessened the tension on the distribution bars and it tows great now. That's the truck I have. Mine is a 2001 Dodge 2500 4X4 V10.

Yes, definately like everyone's saying...lower the ball a little and/or increase the links on the weight distribution chain. I've had these problems in the past as well while towing my 23 footer. Also, check all the trailer tire pressures, make sure that one of them aren't low.

• 2 weeks later...