your state's liscense requirements to tow..........

Richard Cheese

I don't know about NV, but here in CA this is what many people are worrying about

clicky clicky

it seems that in Ca, if you have a towable that GVWR's more than 10,000 lbs, or a 5th wheel that gvwr's more that 15,000 lbs, then you need to have a non-commerical class A liscense.

I have heard fines are steep if you are caught towing out of class, and you have to dump your trailer and come back with someone who can tow it.

my fuggin 19 ft toyhauler gvwr's right @ 10,000 lbs.....so I know there are some out there that GVWR aboe 10,000 lbs

what does the NV law say about that???

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

heres what i found on the dmv website.

Class A: is required to drive combination vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.

Class B: is required to drive single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds; the operator may tow a vehicle weighing 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.

Class C: is for cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

Class M: is for motorcycles. If you drive a motorcycle and a Class A, B, or C vehicle, your license will show both classes, provided you have met all other requirements. Additionally, Nevada has a Class M license with a U Restriction that limits riders to mopeds, trimobiles, and motorcycles that are less than 90 cc and do not exceed 6½ horsepower.

See Motorcycles, Mopeds & Bicycles.

Endorsement J Allows Class C license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Additional written and skills tests are required.

Endorsement R Allows Class C license to tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. Additional written and skills tests are required.

Endorsement F

For firefighters, farmers and military members who drive non-commercial heavy equipment. This endorsement is a limited exemption from commercial licensing requirements.

Restriction A

Must wear corrective eye lenses (glasses or contacts).

Restriction P

Commercial driver required to obtain a physical exam every two years.

Restriction X

Issued in a variety of circumstances such as driving only on a specific route or during specific hours or driving only a certain type of vehicle. The restrictions will be listed on the back of the license or in an official statement the motorist must carry.

Most trailers show their max Gvw on the tounge and if it is less than the 10k or 15 k for 5vers you should have no problem. Remember it's not what you actually weigh it's what's on the trailer sticker. I doubt they are going to hold you to wait for a mobile scale.

Also I doubt that they would require you to drop your trailer unless they were going to sit there and babysit it as it then becomes their liability if it was stolen or caused an accident of some type.

Just my Personal opinion. :grin:

It's the opposite Terry. It is what you actually weigh. I personally know of people that have been weighed by the mobile scales in both Nevada and California. If you trailer is over the max gvw you are in big trouble. One of the biggest mis-conceptions is that people go by the weight of what is stamped in the trailer on the cabinet door. Those weights are just basically a "Starting point" of what a trailer weighs. I would highly recommend that if anyone is personally concerned with the weight of there set up that they go across a scale and get a weight ticket...it will boggle your mind. It will give you your pin/tongue weight and weight per axle. I would also recommend that people get a non-commercial endorsement to tow their setup if they are borderline. I talked to the tester at dmv quite a long time about this the last time I had to add an endorsement to my cdl....just my :grin:

It's the opposite Terry. It is what you actually weigh. I personally know of people that have been weighed by the mobile scales in both Nevada and California. If you trailer is over the max gvw you are in big trouble. One of the biggest mis-conceptions is that people go by the weight of what is stamped in the trailer on the cabinet door. Those weights are just basically a "Starting point" of what a trailer weighs. I would highly recommend that if anyone is personally concerned with the weight of there set up that they go across a scale and get a weight ticket...it will boggle your mind. It will give you your pin/tongue weight and weight per axle. I would also recommend that people get a non-commercial endorsement to tow their setup if they are borderline. I talked to the tester at dmv quite a long time about this the last time I had to add an endorsement to my cdl....just my :grin:

Highway patrol with the 1500 pickup trucks have the scales in them to do weight checks out on the highway and roads.

When we got the semi to tow the toyhauler, the hubby went and got his non-commercial class A. Talked to 6 different people at different DMV's and never got the same answer twice. So he just got the noncommercial A just to be on the safe side.

my neighbor is in the process of getting his non com class A for his 38 ft raptor triple axle (what the hwy patrol tend to look for, and pull over ....the tripsssss). he went to take his test last friday and failed miserably..........then the test administrator looked at the book my neighbor has, and said...hey what are you doing with that book.......that isn't the book for this test..... :grin:

it was the book the counter clerk had given him 2 weeks earlier :thumb::laughoff:

I was pulled over by a NHP in the pickup. He went by my trailer sticker outside, which put me at 13,000 with a 25' toyhauler. :ahhhhh: I was told I needed the J endorsement......luckily he let me go after looking at my toys and talking about Dumont. I'm with Craig......weigh your stuff just to be sure. I bet some of us would be shocked.

I was pulled over by a NHP in the pickup. He went by my trailer sticker outside, which put me at 13,000 with a 25' toyhauler. :blury: I was told I needed the J endorsement......luckily he let me go after looking at my toys and talking about Dumont. I'm with Craig......weigh your stuff just to be sure. I bet some of us would be shocked.

really :ahhhhh: ..damn, I better be careful

so is there anyone here that needs to get a class B liscense?

anyone here already have a class B liscense??

I actually just let my class B go about a year ago. I had to get it for my old job and didn't need it any more. I thought the only reason you had to get a class B is because you were driving a 2 or 3 axle truck without a trailer and the truck had air brakes. I never looked that deep into it, I just know I needed it. The reason I let it go is because my brother in law who has all the endorsements for Cali except the passanger one said that as a commercial driver you are no longer allowed to go to traffic school. So I had no problem letting that go, especially since getting a seatbelt ticket is now a moving violation. :freakin_nuts:

I just got my Class A non commercial about a month ago. it was a piece of cake. I could of probably passed the test without reading the book, but i do suggest you read it. Once you pass the test you have one year to take a driving test which I hear is a total piece of cake also. Actually looking forward to the driving test. They make sure you know how to hookup, check your load and all before you takeoff. They also check to see if you can back up into a "camping spot" that are cones laid out. And they check to see how well you exit and enter a freeway. Thats about all I remember from the book.

CHP just started setting themselves just outside the dunes, and enforcing the laws already on the books. When the big rigs would come over the hill,,, forgetaboutit. And they know 99% of the time you wont have the license. So my advice go get your Class A NON Commercial license for a small nominal fee. Instead of paying the bigger fee and having to talk to the man. Once again, the test is a piece of cake. Only like 15 questions I beleive. And you can miss three answers.

Folks save yourself a lot of hassle. They are going to start cracking down hard on this. :blury:

ps. There also was a medical part that consisted of a questionaire that asks your conditions, and your doctors info. I imagine if you have any kind of problems that would mess with you driving so much weight, they need to clear it with your DR. first.

Edited by Big Red

I just got my Class A non commercial about a month ago. it was a piece of cake. I could of probably passed the test without reading the book, but i do suggest you read it. Once you pass the test you have one year to take a driving test which I hear is a total piece of cake also. Actually looking forward to the driving test. They make sure you know how to hookup, check your load and all before you takeoff. They also check to see if you can back up into a "camping spot" that are cones laid out. And they check to see how well you exit and enter a freeway. Thats about all I remember from the book.

CHP just started setting themselves just outside the dunes, and enforcing the laws already on the books. When the big rigs would come over the hill,,, forgetaboutit. And they know 99% of the time you wont have the license. So my advice go get your Class A NON Commercial license for a small nominal fee. Instead of paying the bigger fee and having to talk to the man. Once again, the test is a piece of cake. Only like 15 questions I beleive. And you can miss three answers.

Folks save yourself a lot of hassle. They are going to start cracking down hard on this. :lol:

ps. There also was a medical part that consisted of a questionaire that asks your conditions, and your doctors info. I imagine if you have any kind of problems that would mess with you driving so much weight, they need to clear it with your DR. first.

Thanks Big Red. Are you in CA or NV? I am thinking about going down real soon to get mine just for the piece of mind. I sweat it every time I see a cop when I'm towing my big toyhauler. I'd rather not have to worry about it anymore.

Thanks Big Red. Are you in CA or NV? I am thinking about going down real soon to get mine just for the piece of mind. I sweat it every time I see a cop when I'm towing my big toyhauler. I'd rather not have to worry about it anymore.

he is in CA pimpshack......i think in NV it is a class B???? :lol:

California also has a 'trailer endorsement" which allows you to pull a trailer up to 15,000 lbs. You have to take a non -commercial A written test and pass. But you are not required to take the driving test. That is the only difference between the class C trailer endorsement and the non commercial A.

It is free.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm

I am in Cali dunefreak. Tried to meet up with you on prez weekend. But my gf was on "ruin the trip" patrol. So was dealing with that. :barf: BTW she did a damn good job. So expect to see me at Dumont every freakin day I can this next season. :lol:

Ynot,

As for leaving your rig on the side of the road. Maybe not the side of the road. The CHP has a "special" spot reserved just for you if you dont produce the right drivers license. So pretty much you just pull down to the next exit to this parking lot. Or whatever place they have waiting , and yes, you leave your trailer there. Or call AAA if you have it. Thats what I woulda done if stuck in that situation. Dont think i would want to leave my rig there. And as for scales, sh*t. If they dont have the scales with them they can get them real fast. So dont underestimate the man when he is looking to make extra bank.

Hey Pete... I know you asked me to pick up a book or whatnots when i was at the DMV and the lady said the only thing they ahd for those endorsements was online. You still have to take a Written test and a Skills test ( i.e gotta show some retard you know how to tow a trailer whoopideee do :D )

Anyhow Here is the link to the Non-Commercial Class A&B or R & J endorsement study guide.

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlstudyguide.pdf

Hey Pete... I know you asked me to pick up a book or whatnots when i was at the DMV and the lady said the only thing they ahd for those endorsements was online. You still have to take a Written test and a Skills test ( i.e gotta show some retard you know how to tow a trailer whoopideee do :D )

Anyhow Here is the link to the Non-Commercial Class A&B or R & J endorsement study guide.

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlstudyguide.pdf

cool thanks. Not that I need to learn at this point, but it will be good to look over before I go in to take the test to know what to expect. :laughing:

California also has a 'trailer endorsement" which allows you to pull a trailer up to 15,000 lbs. You have to take a non -commercial A written test and pass. But you are not required to take the driving test. That is the only difference between the class C trailer endorsement and the non commercial A.

It is free.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm

that just talks about 5th wheel trailers....no bumper pulls

and what 5th wheel toyhauler ISNT 10k GVWR?? :laughing:

• 3 weeks later...

What are the requirements for out of state? Colorado does not have any endorsments for towing trailers. Our truck is registered as a motorhome. The trailer is 18000 lbs. We come out to Dummont every year for Thanksgiving and never have had a problem. Thanks Doug

Most trailers show their max Gvw on the tounge and if it is less than the 10k or 15 k for 5vers you should have no problem. Remember it's not what you actually weigh it's what's on the trailer sticker. I doubt they are going to hold you to wait for a mobile scale.

Also I doubt that they would require you to drop your trailer unless they were going to sit there and babysit it as it then becomes their liability if it was stolen or caused an accident of some type.

Just my Personal opinion. :old:

most of the hwy patrol 1500 pickups are dot ( department of transportation) they have portables (scales)

although generaly they pick on big rigs . rvs are getting noticed more nowadays.

and yes if your overweight they will not hesitate to "red tag" you and not allow you to move. it is your resposability for any harm that occers .in california because you were traveling illeagally. and overweight is considered a danger to traffic. and is also a mandate of fedral law.

over weight consits of gross vehicle weight vs the tagged gvw and also each axel gvw vs the rating of said axel and tire rating.

i still hold my class a with doubles and tanker endorsements. :grin: