my wild night of horror

barefoot bob

i was driving home from a freind of randogs just bought an avcom innercom . so anywase im driving down the main street of hesperia. i was near a street called maple its really dark no street lights before the innersection.

suddenly the minivan in front of me locks up his brakes. im driving my jeep it caught me unawares and i got to close before i hit the brakes. so my extruck driving instincs kicked in and i dived to the middle. the truck has 35 " tires so it doesnt stop on a dime. i passed the minivan before i completely stopped.

i look to my right in front of the minivan to see why he stopped. to my absolute horror there was a man laying in the middle of the road 1 hand trying to push his body up . 1 hand reaching for the air as if to grab an invisible pole to pull himself up with the look on his face was fear, panic, pain and horror. just then the montecarlo following me ran him over..........................................

apperently what happened was he was attempting to run across main street. for reasons still unknown to me he ran right into a ford explorer while they were travelling at 50 mph he hit there car ( on foot) with such force it broke the left side window tore the mirror off the truck and broke the windshield. the old couple driving pulled over . the mini van i was following stopped i swerved and stopped and the montecarlo never saw it and ran him over.

i alled 911 i thought for sure he was doa but while i was on the phone to 911 another guy checked his pulse he was still alive !!! i told them to roll an ambulance and gave them the adress. as all this was going on the ashats in the minivan took off ! now they wernt involved but they were a witness. so while the paramedics were tending to him they through his shoes and his coat off to the shoulder of the road. we gave our statements and off to home i go . slammed a beer and try to absorb and sort out the horror i just witnessed.

well, today i needed to go to orange county so i had to drive back down main street. i noticed the mans coat and work boots were still sitting there. i thought ok if they are still there on the way back home i would call the police find out where they took him and drop off his belongings. so on the way through cajon pass i remembered and called hesperia pd . they informed me he died last night he didnt make it.

i felt i had to type it out to kind of get it out you know.............................................. :(

Oh my goodness, what an awful thing to witness!

Your mind and body (no kidding) are bound to experience trauma over this... don't be too hard on yourself when it happens.

This will haunt you when you least expect it... this is not the kind of shock that you forget about in a few days.

You weren't in the accident but you were hit by the ripple. Take care of you.

VickiW

Thats horrible, Bob. You are a stand up guy for doing everything you could. I can't believe the guy in the van would take off. It goes to show how much society has degraded throughout time. :clap:

Try not to think of it too much. There isn't much you could have done above what you already did.

I had that happen to me a few years ago....I had just left the tattoo shop, headin down east sahara, to go to a friends party. Stopped at the light on sahara and eastern, light turned green, the car next to me took off, and so did i. ( left lane, middle lane) he got past me, all of a sudden i see him lock up his brakes and a body fly through the air and land. I had to swerve or i would have ran over his head.........Drunk guys, crossin the street ( not in a cross walk) over to the liquor store.....I was there for about 2-3 hrs til the damn cops showed up..ambulance came and gone.......i just stayed around for the other driver as a witness.....guy lived. Months later i get a call from the drivers ins. company , wanted my statement again. They said the homeless dude has been through like 3 or 4 lawyers trying to sue the driver...........Worst thing is , i never made it to the party.

WOW!!! Glad you are ok and didnt hit that van. Bet that guy that went around you guys and ran him over again will think twice next time.. WELL you did what you could.. sad to say but i think i would rather read about it somewhere than be apart of it at anytime..

Capt

Wow that sucks when stuff like that happens . Kinda makes you think life can end at any moment type of thing. But you definately did all you could hats off to you. I would also like to add a story that happend to me and my dad.

Me and my dad were traveing up a mountain pass coming back from a lake tahoe atv adventure thing . we get to the top of a turn and notice a cloud of dust in the corner a white suberban coming to a halt stop near the dust. we roll by and see the top of a car in the ditch. we decide to stop to make sure everyone is ok. well we get out and walkover to the guy . He was traveling the same way we were and fell asleep and woke up into oncoming traffic freaked out and lodge himself into a draingage ditch. So I try to get down there but there was knee high water on the passenger side door. the driver wasnt moving so i figured he wasnt in good shape. while im trying to do that the guy who almost had a head on is talking to a lady obviously who lives there about a plumbing problem. this guy could be dead and their worried about some plumbing . The lady and the driver who almost crashed also took off to go fix their problem leaving the guy there . He finaly comes out of the drivers door limps to the road on the other side of the drainage ditch and we help him up the side . we call the cops and they send a ambulance. He was in ok shape. He was of course a bit shaken up so we put down the trunk and let the guy sit there until the ambulance arrived. Shortly after the cops shew up took info from us and was dumbfounded that the ford ranger got into that posistion .

It just makes me think of what woulda happened if we didnt stop. Those guys woulda carried on with their pathetic lives and no one would have stopped since you could barely see the roof from the roadway. Sorry for turning this into a rant .

Crazy stuff Bob, a lot of crazy car incidents in Hesperia lately. A kid just got hit by a truck a few days back while riding around his brand new dirtbike. Chevy truck hit him and drug him then took off. Kid might be paralyzed now. Just have to watch out, never know what is going to happen.

Just curious if you were to the left of the mini van, and the guy was in front of the mini van how did the monty carlo run the guy over. Was he coming from the side

main street hesperia is two lanes west and two lanes east with a double yellow middle divider. the mini van, myself and the monte carlo were in the fast lane. we were all rollin about 55 and we were all suprised.

the monte was further back and he saw me dive so he dived into the right lane . i dont know why he didnt go for a full stop this happend in seconds. he was a young kid maybe 20. i cant say what was going through his head. but i would reasonably asume that he was under the impression that the mini van broke down and he saw a clear dive to the right. i am in a lifted jeep with 35s and i could not see what was infront of the minivan till i stopped passed his front end. this monte was a lowrider. he reacted wrong. but he was young so i dont think he was an idiot. just a bad reaction to a split second decision. i drove cross country semis for 8 years .thats about the only thing that i can think of that caused me to not assume breakdown and go for a safe place to stop. :clap:

thank you guys for your uplifting words. its not the first time seeing a dead body. but it was my first time watching somebodies demis that close and perssonal. his eyes, i looked right into his eyes as the monte ran him over. im not freaked out. just sad and not somthing i really wanted to see................................. :MBdance: sail aways right i think it does traumatize you a bit.

Edited by barefoot bob

Guest Crasher

What a horrible thing to see Bob. Like everyone said, you did the right thing, it's a good thing for people like you. You will never forget it, but try not to let it get to you to much though. There wasn't much else you could do. I was driving behind a car that hit a man in a wheelchair in Palm Springs. I watched the whole thing happen like it was in slow motion. The guy flew up in the air and landed on the pavement, in a knot basically, screaming. I ran up to him to help him, but you couldn't touch or move him he was in so much pain. I stayed next to him until the paramedics arrived, and gave my statement to the police. I never found out what happened to him because we were only there on vacation, but he was in pretty bad shape and was in and out of consciousness. However, I'll never forget how scary that was to witness and be a part of. :(

Hang in there and be proud that you are such a good samaritan! :banghead:

Bob you did a good thing. It's to bad you didn't get the licence number of the minivan.

It makes me wonder how you walk into the side of a car going 50mph.

Annnnnddddd...............I a quit surprised that this thread hasn't gone into the sh*tter with comments and jokes at the expense of this deceased young man. Like the girl that lost her feet and did know where to find them

I'm glad to see there are a few good people left in the world.

July 3, 1993 my mom was riding backseat on a seadoo when she fell off right in front of the opening to the channel between Crazyhorse and Windsor 4, our whole group was day camping at Windsor 4. Her friend never noticed that she fell off and kept going. While my mom was waiting to get picked up a drunk Temple City sherrif was planing out his 24' Hallett when he ran her over. Her left arm and leg were nearly severed completely. Sherrif's buddy was on a jet ski behind him when he saw my mom pop up. He stopped and flagged down a boat with a family with young kids and they pulled my mom on deck, a friend of ours saw the scene and jumped on the boat with the family. From what I hear he had to pretty much hold her leg together on the ride over to Crazyhorse. They airlifted her to Pheonix where they were able to save everything, Thank God for some amazing doctors, my mom is walking almost like nothing ever happened 6 months later.

The guy on the jet ski raced to the launch ramp to the sherrif and told him he ran someone over. The jerkhole went to check his stainless steel prop for damage, because human bone can bend a steel prop at 8,000 rpm. The sherrif got home and finally started believing his jetski buddy and pounded a few beers before they called PD to make it look like he had been drinking at home and not on the lake. We heard this part of the story from the jetski guy who is no longer friends with the TC Sherrif.

If not for the few good samaritans like Bob, my mom could have ended up like the poor guy who got run over. I was 7 when that happened and I remember the whole scene like it was yesterday. I always think about the people who stopped and helped. I thank them everyday.

Oh my goodness, what an awful thing to witness!

Your mind and body (no kidding) are bound to experience trauma over this... don't be too hard on yourself when it happens.

This will haunt you when you least expect it... this is not the kind of shock that you forget about in a few days.

You weren't in the accident but you were hit by the ripple. Take care of you.

VickiW

good Karma Bob..

^^^^Definately agree 100%!! Awwwww Bob, this :flipoff: is for you!!

damn bob....

Ive gotta call you on that. thats an EFFEN lie....

Randog doesnt have any friends...

:bs:

:grin:

just effen with bob @ your expense randog :flipoff:

Thanks for tellin' everyone Cheese. :lol:

:peek: TOO!

:lol:

That story is some crazy chit :bawl:

Bob, ya did good, kid. :lol:

R-