Will the plane take off...

NicoleinVegas

If the plane isn't moving anywhere and the engines are only throttled up enough to hold it in place, no it won't take off. If you throttle the engines up to full throttle though, the plane will move forward and gain speed. So the answer really IS: yes it will take off. You have to put alot of thought into this. I wasted too much energy thinking of this. :thumb:

Now time to go kill some brain cells that I just used. :beercheers::drinkbeer::drinkbeer::thumb::thumb:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic was posted on the Raptor Forum, and has started quite the discussion...what do you all think?

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor

belt). This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's

speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but

in the opposite direction) instantly.

Will the plane be able to take off?

This says the "Plane's Speed". If it said the speed of the wheels, then your argument, which is damn good, is true. Without picking apart the question like people seem to love to do, I still believe that it wont take off.

My bottom line is: The plane must be moving through the air to take off.

If the conveyor matches the speed of the PLANE and not the wheels, the plane is not actually moving through air.

Yamakiller's argument definetly made me think about it. Now there will be no possible way for me to get to sleep tonight as this will occupy my mind all night thank you very much.

I guess I'll just have to pound a few :thumb:

Ok, so this question was asked on a motocross forum and the arguments were exactly the same. The thread reached 12 pages after 2 days. The part of the question that throws everybody off is that the conveyor belt will match the forward speed of the plane. THAT DOESN'T MATTER!!! Yamakiller had the correct answer from the start. The speed of the plane has nothing to do with the speed of the ground. Let's look at it this way, the wind is blowing at 100 mph a plane flying into the wind is going 100 mph however the ground speed of the plane is 0 mph, or the plane is flying with the wind at 100 mph and the ground speed will be 200 mph. The speed of the ground and the speed of the plane have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

THE PLANE WILL TAKE OFF!!!

Ok, so this question was asked on a motocross forum and the arguments were exactly the same. The thread reached 12 pages after 2 days. The part of the question that throws everybody off is that the conveyor belt will match the forward speed of the plane. THAT DOESN'T MATTER!!! Yamakiller had the correct answer from the start. The speed of the plane has nothing to do with the speed of the ground. Let's look at it this way, the wind is blowing at 100 mph a plane flying into the wind is going 100 mph however the ground speed of the plane is 0 mph, or the plane is flying with the wind at 100 mph and the ground speed will be 200 mph. The speed of the ground and the speed of the plane have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

THE PLANE WILL TAKE OFF!!!

wrong ! if the thing needs 150 mph to take flight, and the thing has no way to reach the speed , it can't !

wrong ! if the thing needs 150 mph to take flight, and the thing has no way to reach the speed , it can't !

You have the same mind block everyone has. Everyone thinks that the forward movement of the plane has something to do with the ground. It doesn't. Thrust of the plane comes from the prop or jet or whatever it has pushing against the air. Pretend for a minute that the plane didn't have wheels and it hovered like the hover board in the movie back to the future. There isn't any friction with the ground, right? So the treadmill wouldn't stop the plane from taking off, right? Well the wheels on a plane do nothing but minimize the friction with the ground unless the brakes are applied. If the thrust of the plane came from the wheels then no, the plane would not take off.

If the jet was providing the forward thrust and the conveyor was countering the forward wheel speed, wouldn't the wheel speed be zero?

it's not countering wheel speed it's countering the speed of the plane. when the plane moves forward, because it will, the conveyor will match the speed of the plane and the wheel speed will be the combined speed of the plane and conveyor which would be double the speed of the plane.

actually i just got it. the tires are not tied into a drive train .i/e they are just caster wheels so in fact the thrust is going to pull the plain forward no matter what the ground does .i got it . now what the fk am i gonna do with with this info ????

actually i just got it. the tires are not tied into a drive train .i/e they are just caster wheels so in fact the thrust is going to pull the plain forward no matter what the ground does .i got it . now what the fk am i gonna do with with this info ????

I don't know. Have you seen the newest vid from your favorite girl? Clicky