king of the hill

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DanielMotorcycleGear.jpg

Hello All!

What a Great Day this is.

It looks like Jack Frost has finally arrived in Southern Nevada. I actually had to wear pants and a zip up sweat shirt for the first time. It has been down right nippy. Darned Wind makes me crazy. It downright gave me a nasty ear ache that turned into a major migraine.

Breaking News: The Murphy Family would like to extend their deepest thanks possible to their Caring Bridge and DDR Family Members. Because of your Generosity, they have not had to Break Open their Piggy Bank to pay for lodging while staying in Las Vegas. You are all Amazing People.

A Special Thanks goes out to the Lewellings (Uncle Rice), Andy Jordan (Serenity Homes), and the Herbst Brothers for going way beyond the Call of Duty.

You have renewed our Faith in Mankind.

A major "Shout Out" goes to Ms. Cooper and J.G. Johnson Elementary School. They Raised over $1,100.00 in the Penny War!

There may be a Special Guest at the J.G. Johnson Benefit Dinner in January.

Daniel Murphy is a Medical Miracle. Even though he sustained a Massive Internal Injury and had Extensive Damage to his Entire Brain, his Recovery has Amazed the Doctors & his Therapists.

He is Recovering so Rapidly in Fact that the Doctor has already discussed Daniel's Release Date with Danny & Dawn.

Can you believe it? It has only been six weeks or so for us, but of course a life time for the Murphy's.

Drum Roll Please! Daniel will be coming home on Saturday, 12/29/07. No that is not a Misprint. Daniel will be home Tomorrow!

Danny & Dawn will be Extremely busy getting their house back together this weekend. We know that everyone is anxious to see Daniel, but Visiting Hours will not Start Until Next Week.

Daniel will be an Out Patient at the Evergreen Facility in Pahrump.

Again, all I can say is Thank You All for Everything.

Don't Stop Posting

Don't Stop Praying

Don't Give Up

We are counting on you to be here for the Long Haul. So be prepared to be with us to the end of 2008.

PS - Steve

Do not think about giving up on the Dunes.

Once you get the sand in your pants and every other place for that matter, you can't go back.

Your Off Road Family won't let you off that easily.

If you want out, you will have to be "Jumped Out." And from the Looks of Some of the DDR Members, I don't think you would want that. :DDRrocks::rockon::pissed:

MAN..........that is AWESOME!!!!!!! Daniel will recover so much more rapidly at home in his eviroment, it will amaze you even more than he already has!! I am so genuinely happy for the Murphy family. I would personally like to thank to doctors and the trauma team that cared for Daniel, they are awesome doctors!!!!!

Happy New Years Murphy family.................Happy New Years!!!!!!!!

Once again, Daniel deserves a standing ovation....................

:DDRrocks::rockon::pissed::booty::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:DDRrocks:

Aloha, Sain baina uu, Dáazho, Geia sou, Ma nishma, Buon giorno

Pam took the Girls on Thursday to see Daniel and the Family.

She was talking to Daniel about going home.

Pam said, “Hey Daniel, it looks like you are going home soon Buddy.”

Daniel replied, “I am!”

She said, “Yes you are!”

He replied, “Seriously!” Pam then said, “Seriously.”

He said, “How Serious?” She said, “Serious as a Heart Attack!”

And then he said, “That Serious?!” She then said, “Yes, that Serious.”

Daniel then looked at her and said somberly, “I’m not going home.”

Pam told him, “What, do you think you are going to live here forever?”

Daniel said, “Yes, I do.”

She said, “Nope Buddy, it looks like you are going home on Saturday.”

He said, “Whoo, that’s Good!”

Daniel and the Family arrived home on Saturday.

Daniel was very happy to be home.

He asked his mom if he could ride his motorcycle. She let him go outside and the first thing he did was sit on his motorcycle.

Then he looked at his Yellow Buggy. Leanna asked him if he remembered giving Uncle Kenny a ride in his buggy on Thanksgiving.

He said, “Yeah, and I scared the Death out of him too!”

Daniel gave his Uncle Kenny a ride on the Yellow Buggy and asked him before the ride if he wanted a Scary Ride or a Fun Ride. Kenny said, “I don’t know, you decide.” And Daniel said, “Then scary it is.” He then Proceeded to give Uncle Kenny a very fast and nerve racking ride. Because there was a “weight distribution problem,” Kenny weighs 240 lbs, every time Daniel went around a corner the buggy would lift slightly onto two wheels.

It looks like Daniel’s Short Term Memory is Slowly starting to Return. He has not been able to Play his WII because he has a hard time focusing on things up close. His eyes are not quite cooperating with Daniel at this time.

I will go over to Daniel’s today and get as many pictures as I can. I will make a new folder on the Photobucket Site and let you all know when it is done.

I am out of Words on How to Say Thank you so here it goes:

Muchas gracias

Efcharisto

Toda raba

Gratias

Tand ikh bayarlalaa

Malo 'aupito

Ngiyabonga ka khulu

HomeDaniel.jpg

Here is the latest update I just read on caringbridge.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 03, 2008 11:54 PM, PST

Hello Everyone!!!

Major News will be Reported Somewhere in this Post for Ms. Cooper & Ms. Norton’s Class.

You will have to Read the Entire Post to Find the BREAKING NEWS. (Sorry, do not try Scrolling to the Bottom of the page. It is not there.)

Daniel has an Appointment with his Neurosurgeon on January 17, 2008. Dawn hopes that his Hard Neck Brace will be Replaced with a Soft one.

We Received our Thanksgiving 2007 Dumont Dunes T-Shirt. Thank you DDR Members. Daniel loves the Shirt. Immediately he started to undress himself to put on the new shirt. Dawn had to remind him that he already had a Dumont Shirt on. He said “Oh, I Do!”

Dawn said Daniel has Regained his Appetite. I asked her what his favorite food was and she said he does not seem to have a favorite. He is eating everything in sight, but he does Love his Ice Cream.

Daniel has completed his first few Days of Rehab. He goes to Rehab on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays.

Rehab Notes:

Speech Therapy:

· The Therapist said there is not much they can do for Daniel at this time. His speech is so far ahead of schedule that they do not have much more to offer him. The Therapist did tell Dawn that they would have to start working on his “attention span” because it is very short. Dawn Told her “What else is new?” That is Daniel, just ask Ms. Cooper.

Physical Therapy:

· The Therapist is working with Daniel on Uneven Surfaces to help him with his balance.

· Daniel had to stand on a piece of Styrofoam.

· He told the Therapist that he can, “Walk & Talk” and does not understand why he has to be in Therapy. The Therapist told him if he wants to ride his skateboard again, he has to do the exercises.

· Daniel showed me one of his exercises. He Stood on one leg and balanced himself. I told him that was awesome; he was balancing better than I could. He came over to me, stood on his other leg (the weaker side), and challenged me to balance on one leg. Sure enough, I was more unstable than Daniel was.

· Jessicca, Daniel’s Cousin, told Daniel that she was happy he was walking so well. Daniel said, “Look, I can even walk backwards.” You have to understand why something so simple to us is so amazing. Just two weeks ago, Daniel could not even walk by himself.

· Daniel wanted to show his Uncle Timmy how strong he was. Timmy asked Daniel to punch him in the stomach as hard as he could. He gave him a right, a left, a left, a right, one, two, one, two. His strength is getting better each day.

Occupational Therapy:

· They will be working with Daniel’s “Short Term Memory.” The Therapist told Daniel that every time he looks in the Mirror he needs to say, “I can Remember.”

· Dawn said she asked Daniel later in the day, “What are you suppose to do when you look in the Mirror?” Daniel put both hands on his face and said, “Oh My Gosh!” Dawn said, “No, you are supposed to say ‘I can remember.’” Daniel replied, “Oh yeah, that’s right, I forgot.”

· Daniel has a notebook, the same one I am writing in now, that he writes down everyone who visits him each day. This helps him remember things. When you hear it, write it, & then read it, you are more likely to remember it. Daniel’s handwriting is not much worse than mine is.

· Again, the Therapist’s are saying Daniel is an Amazing Child. They cannot believe he has Recovered to this Extent in so Little Time.

· Now it is “Just a Matter of how much Time.”

Daniel’s Cousin, Brandon, has been helping Dawn with Daniel. Dawn said it has been wonderful having him there. Brandon’s Mellow Personality is just what Daniel needs. Or, Dawn said, “Could it be the Wii?”

Daniel decided that he was going to Bowl on the Wii. I told him that I had a Wii also and he would have to come over and I would challenge him to a game. He asked if I wanted to play against him now. I told him no. He threw the ball and walked over to me and said, “Good, because you would probably lose.” He then Bowled 4 Strikes in a Row and ended up with a Final Score of 214. I told him that I would have to go home and practice for a few days before I Challenged him. My Ego would not let me lose to a 9 year old, let alone a 9 year old who just woke up from a coma.

Now for the BREAKING NEWS:

The Principal of J.G. Johnson Elementary School Visited Daniel and the Family. They discussed Daniel’s Education. They are going to put a “Home Bound” Program together for Daniel.

Ms. Cooper (Daniels Current Teacher) and Ms. Simms (His Former Teacher) offered to put in the Countless Hours it will take to make sure Daniel moves on to the 5th Grade next year. Ms. Simms said she would work through the Summer if that’s what it takes. This is Just another Example of how far beyond our expectations you are all going.

Daniel was given the Clearance to Visit Ms. Cooper’s & Ms. Norton’s Class on Monday. Dawn said they would visit the Classes after his Rehab Session.

You can Anticipate Daniel’s Arrival between 1:00 & 2:00 PM.

There is Something about Daniel. He is still the same “Spunky, Wisecracking Kid” as he was before, however his Disposition has changed significantly. He has become almost “Angelic.” You would have to Visit him to Understand. It must be his “Pure Innocence.” Dawn said that he has become “All Hugs & Kisses.”

Dawn Recalled that earlier in the day as she was picking up the Family Room, Daniel came in and told her not to worry about it. He said, “Me and the girls will pick it up for you.” Luckily for him though, he has short-term memory loss.

Did you Notice anything about the new Photo? Do you Remember in a Past Post when Dawn recalled what she Missed the Most?

If My Short Term Memory Serves me Correctly; It was sitting down each night with the family, having Daniel snuggle up next to her, and stealing the covers.

I Will Sign Off For Now

Thank You

Keep the Faith

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We just wanted you to know we have read every comment on DDR and on Caringbridge. We really appreciate every prayer said and every nice thought. It really got us through. The road ahead is still going to be work, but every thing we have been through and are going to go through is worth it. Our son is an amazing child. We hope to meet all of you someday soon.

Our house is open to anyone that wants to visit. If your from far away we even have a piece of property with hookups for your RV's. Please give me a call if you want to visit some new friends.

We will let you know when the whole family will be going to the dunes next and maybe we can meet up with you then.

Words cannot express our sincere gratitute at the support you all have given us.

Love,

The Murphy's

Dawn's cell # is 775-209-3836

Well to the Murphy's hats off to all of you from Canada British Columbia. I am glad that because of this set back that you all are facing you are not looking at this as a big problem with the dunes itself or the people that surround it.

These things do happen and I am glad that you all are not discouraging him from getting back on to ride again if he so desires to do so. One thing I do have to add though because I have been through this with my sister as she was in a very bad boating accident quit a few years ago is basically those changes you see.

Monitor those changes I know now when my sister has consumed any alcohol at all I notice a change in her speech pattern. She tends to slur her words when before she never us to. I have also noticed that my sister has absolutely no patience whatsoever now. She also has to wear glasses now to read as her vision is a little off she tends to also tilt her head a bit off to the right when reading with or without her glasses on.

These are just some of the things that we have been faced with that still to this day have not gone away.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and I hope because Daniele is younger that he does recover from any symptoms that my sister still has not been able to get over.

He is young so that is one great thing that is on his side. My whole family has finally come to the realization that it was more less a freak thing that occurred. If you all still enjoy it don't let this stop you as I know myself it will only make you more aware of what's out there along with what you can do to help aid in this kind of incident from happening again.

Edited by Canman

I hope Daniel is doing better these days and I was wondering if the dinner for Daniel is still a go?? I'm considering having my wife drive my truck to Dumont so I can go to the dinner for Daniel.

Any info on this would be great!!!

:worthless_without_pics:

• 2 weeks later...

DSCN3193.jpg

Hey HappyHour, we were sorry you couldn't make it to the Dinner, maybe next time.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23, 2008 11:04 PM, PST

Hello All,

Daniel had an appointment with his neurosurgeon the Day of the Benefit Dinner.

The Neurosurgeon had a hard time believing this was the same child he had treated just a few weeks ago. The purpose of Daniel’s visit was to hopefully be able to trade in his Hard Neck Brace for a Soft Neck Brace.

The Neurosurgeon said that Daniel’s Brain was healing very nicely. If fact, he is doing so well that the Doctor said he would not need to be fitted for the Soft Neck Brace at all.

Dawn asked the Doctor about Daniel’s Anti-Seizure Medication. He said it was Time for Daniel to be weaned off the medication. As of this Post, Daniel is Anti-Seizure Medication Free. He said she should start noticing some difference with Daniel as the medication is purged from his body. He will hopefully start regaining some of his attention span. The Medication Relaxes his Brain.

The Doctor told Dawn that she did not need to Re-Schedule another Visit with his Office. He said Daniel was cleared to do the things a Typical 9 year old boy should be doing. However, the Doctor said Daniel should avoid up and down jarring motions such as jumping on a pogo stick or trampoline for the next 90 days or so.

Daniel has been known to climb up onto the roof of his house and leap off onto the trampoline. I think this would be considered “off limit activity” prior to his accident let alone “post accident activity.”

Daniel has an appointment in the next few weeks with his Doctor from Health South. This is the Physical Therapy Center in Las Vegas who is overseeing his Recovery Process..

I think I will sign off for now.

Stay Tuned for Further Updates on Daniel’s Schooling, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy.

Live Free

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TUESDAY, JANUARY 22, 2008 10:25 PM, PST

Hello?....Hello!......is anybody out there? Is anybody there?......

Has the Hollywood Writers Strike Finally Ended?

Could we be in store for new episodes, or will we have to resort to reruns and keep rereading the same posts over and over?

Daniel had a great time visiting his class. Hmm. I wonder if he remembers. It has been three weeks, so maybe his short term memory has turned into long term memory.

Even with All the Talk of Inflation, Recession, & being Faced with Economic and Political Uncertainties, the Benefit Dinner was Insanely Successful.

The Cake Auction was Off the Charts.

Some Cakes Sold for Over $100.00 while another brought in over $200.00.

Almost $10,000.00 was Hand Delivered to Danny & Dawn.

In Fear of Leaving anyone out, I will not Thank Anyone by Name.

You all Know who you are and should sleep well knowing you did something good.

I have a Lot of Good Information and will Spread it out over the Next Few Nights.

Stay Strong

Keep the Faith

That was a really great update Tim. Its so good to hear he is finally clear to be able to do normal kid activities. Id have to agree with you that jumping off the roof onto the trampoline is definately a no no in any situation with any kid. :laughing:

I bet he is exstatic to have that neck brace off. How much longer will he continue in physical therapy??

That is GREAT news!! :thumb: I'm am so sorry I couldn't make the dinner, I was really looking forward to it, but unfortunately it didn't happen for me. :( I do plan on donating through Bank of America though. I'm glad to see Daniel is improving. I was told with my head injury, that any sudden jarring of the head could make me go into a siezure. The Dr. told me the same thing and no football for a while either.

Keep it up Daniel............. :barf::banghead: :moonwalk: :dope::barf::laughing:

What great news!!!! I am so happy for his family and him, I don't think there is anything worse than seeing your child hurt. I know on Thanksgiving my daughter need to get stiches after a wreck on her quad and that was so hard to hold her down so they could give her the shots to numb it. I could not even imagine the feeling that Daniels family had to go through. But looks like Daniel is going to make a full recovery and that is awesome!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

post-680-1202270517_thumb.jpg

post-680-1202269277_thumb.jpg

Here is the Car you can look for...

Hello Dune Family,

We are very excited to tell you Daniel is progressing at lightning speed. He has been released by his neurosurgeon with no restrictions. He can do what he wants (if he can get it past us). We are pleased to announce our first trip back to Dumont as a family will be President's Weekend. Daniel is upset he won't be bringing his dirt bike (we now refer to it as scrap metal). I told his dad to build him a miniture car that looks like his dads. Were gonna name it the Baby Train. (Dads is the Crazy Train).

We will be across from the rangers station on the left side of the road. We are a family of Sandpiper Trailers. And of course we have the crazy Train it's a red with white rally stripes V-8 rail. Not many of them around.

We hope that anyone that would like to meet Daniel and see his amazing progress can come to our camp anytime. We are going to try to make it to the meet and greet on Saturday at the South pole.

We would love to meet some of the awesome people that prayed and rallied around Daniel and our family.

Love and Prayers,

Danny, Dawn, Leanna, Amber & Daniel Murphy

P.S.

Daniel wanted to say a personal thank you for the prayers.

That is awesome news.... :blink: Tell Daniel, that although he doesn't understand why he can't take his bike out now, he will understand why later as he grows. But I am so happy to hear of Daniel's progression!!!! Unfortunately I won't be there for Prez. Day, but I will be there for the cleanup. If you guys are out there at that time, I will make it a point to go meet this young man!!

Have fun and be safe!!!!!!

Good for you Daniel............ :dope: :moonwalk: :laughing:

• 2 months later...

Daniel is doing amazing. He is now back in school full time. He is celebrting his 10th birthday on Monday the 14th. He is very excited. To look at him you would never know what he has been through. He is almost back to 100%. He is an amazing child and still has his quick wit.

As parents we will never forget the thoughts and prayers that went out for our boy and family. We will always hold a special place in our hearts for the duning community. I will answer any questions you have if you have any.

Have a great day,

Dawn (Daniel's Mom)